rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Star Wars thread

The Star Wars thread

Quote: (10-21-2018 09:07 PM)Kurgan Wrote:  

...is it just the SJW mind is "dark side = male, light side = female?"

I think you answered your own question.

SJWs can't do "story" properly because they view character flaws and weaknesses as tantamount to affirming bigoted negative stereotypes.

For Rey to struggle in any way would be akin to how people in the Mad Men era would make jokes about how women can't drive.

They entered into the field of entertainment with an activist agenda. They want to socially-engineer by showing what they construe to be positive role-models in non white-cis-male form. They don't realize that the human condition is inherently imperfect, that we're all constant works-in progress as it were, and that there's a difference between presenting that and obvious bigoted stereotypes.

The same is true with the reverse of the activist agenda. White male characters are rendered as irredeemable sadistic monsters (like in Shape of Water) or as buffoons like Hux.

The worst part of The Last Jedi isn't the continuation of Rey as a Mary Sue. Perfect characters are boring but at least they're still positive and idealistic. The problem was how The Last Jedi betrayed its virtue-signal ideals by marginalizing Finn down to little more than racist steppin-fetchit comic relief as he and Rose Tico go off on a side journey that goes nowhere or the way Holdo is such an obvious stereotype of a radical feminist as to come across as an unintentional self-parody.

I know there are plenty of exceptions, but in my book, the #1 goal of a filmmaker is to get the audience to like the characters. The Last Jedi attempts to get in the way of liking the characters at every turn, whether they're new ones (like Holdo) or old favorites (like Luke).

I know this isn't Star Wars, but this scene is a tour-de-force on how to get the audience to like a character that is as close to perfect as you can get without making it boring. It has more wit and humanity than all of The Last Jedi combined. (At least the two shared John Williams music.)

And again, everything I hear about Episode IX makes it seem like it's going to be nothing but a calvalcade of force-ghosts and old hologram recording fanservice, which feels like a write-off of the idea of any emotional investment with the new characters.

Messages In This Thread