rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Lost Out On a Job Because I Was Too Intimidating

Lost Out On a Job Because I Was Too Intimidating

Quote: (07-13-2015 04:04 PM)Easy_C Wrote:  

Quote: (07-08-2015 10:21 PM)Travesty444 Wrote:  

The culture of tech and finance often do not get along.

Tech people do not respect outward confidence at all. It is an introverted culture.

They look up to more of a wise elder figure even if that elder is a 20 year old wiz kid which can be the case.

If you have an East Coast demeanor most tech people will not enjoy your company. They are passive people and forgiving people more often than not.

I think your personality would shine brighter staying in a more pure financial role.

Which is exactly why I'm shooting for Wall Street jobs post-MBA.

Yes, the hours are brutal. Yes, it's a cutthroat environment full of douchebags.....but it's still a very aggressive, very masculine environment. I'd get bored anywhere else. I've even turned down opportunities for Wealth Management at commercial banks because of how passive and female dominated the culture at those companies was.

Still be lucky you got any feedback at all. In most cases you aren't going to get anything more than complaints about your "cultural fit".....particularly when you're dealing with a passive aggressive, post-wall female HR rep who looks like she'd be a good match for Jabba the Hutt.

I'm not sure what your work experience is, but I do hope you are going to a Top 5, Top 10 at worse MBA school. Not trying to be a dick, it is a lot of money and if you want to be working in Wall Street, you need every advantage. Consulting and Banking are big on pedigree. Best of luck.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Messages In This Thread