rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What Should The Purpose Of The Educational System Be?

What Should The Purpose Of The Educational System Be?

College education is just a business now. The purpose of education is to support tenured professors, student loan servicers and everyone that sells shit to students. Kids today are not bright enough to make best use of their time in college to be productive. Yes, I know some are, there are always some. There are always those genius kids. But the next tier and the tier after them seem to be weaker.

Just a business now, kids are convinced that getting a degree makes them special, so they buy the story. Not realizing that a degree alone isn't a guarantee for success, especially if it is in some useless major.

Student loans cannot be eliminated through a bk, so they are there until paid. As they should be, sorry to sound like a hard ass, but can you imagine how many more crazy women with useless degrees there would be if college was free? Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

Enough of the ranting. Here are some thoughts about what the educational system should be:
1) Turn out functional, contributing citizens with a rational grasp of their place in society. When I mean place, I don't mean they are stuck in some position and can never grow out of it. But, if they are not a major contributor to society they should grasp that and not act out as if they mattered. Over time, as they learn to contribute more, then they should get the rewards for their efforts. One of my gripes has always been the
"deserving without earning mentality" that some people have. Tuth's recent article brought out tons of these people.

2) As far as post high school - I think we need to really get off this idea that everyone needs to go to college. I like some of the systems where students earn their way into a University experience or a really good vocational/apprenticeship school and come out with solid skills to make a good living.

3) Repeat of above - sort of. Not everyone deserves to go to college - especially the ones who are taking remedial math and English during freshman year because they didn't learn it in high school. Also, a study showed that a decent chunk of college students learn very little. I imagine the ones who are taking remedial classes are in that group.

http://dailyfreepress.com/2011/02/02/stu...two-years/

After two years in college, 45 percent of students showed no significant gains in learning and after four years 36 percent of students showed little change according to the Collegiate Learning Assessment, which based its study off 3,000 student surveys from 29 campuses across the country.

4) Education should teach kids to speak without slang, or at least know when to turn it on and off. If you want to be in a professional environment, people pick up on diction. Just a reality. If you speak like an idiot (doesn't matter how smart you are) you hurt yourself in the long run.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Messages In This Thread