rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

If you have a good idea for a smartphone app

If you have a good idea for a smartphone app

Quote: (11-04-2013 06:35 AM)TrueStory Wrote:  

Blue Chilli is fascinating place. However, if your app has unique algorithm - PATENT THAT SHIT! You cannot patent concepts or ideas, but you can patent a formula. Say you want to create a dating app that uses certain characteristics to match couples. It's not patentable. However, if you have a working algorithm that does this, then you can patent that.

I had an idea that I wanted to patent. But based on this no idea can be patented. Just unique aspects such as an algorithm, etc.

But there was that Netflix vs Blockbuster lawsuit and it seemed like it was just an idea that was upheld.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/why-i...lockbuster

Quote:Quote:

The Netflix Patent Claim

Netflix filed a patent infringement lawsuit against the video store chain, challenging its Internet expansion. The online service claims that Blockbuster is violating two of its patents. The first patent patent, issued in 1999, covers how customers can pick, receive and return a number of videos. The second patent, issued this year, allows online subscribers to keep DVDs indefinitely without incurring late fees. Netflix says that since it had the forethought to patent its ideas, Blockbuster has no right to use them.

The Blockbuster Argument

Blockbuster says Netflix is trying to force it into the red. In other words, Blockbuster maintains that the lawsuit is an attempt to stifle competition. The company says Netflix is now seeing its profits dwindle as Blockbuster Online becomes competitive.

Patenting a Business Method

The lawsuit begs the question: Can a company patent a business method? The courts have proven that if the method is unique enough, a company can obtain a patent, particularly in high-tech areas. In 1999, Coolsavings.com and SuperMarktetsOnline.com got into a dispute similar to the Netflix-Blockbuster controversy. Both are services that offer grocery coupons online. At each site, costumers can go online, choose coupons, print and use them at local retailers. Coolsavings.com thought the idea was so great, it got a patent. When SuperMarketsOnline.com set up shop, Coolsavings sued. The federal district court upheld Coolsavings' right to patent its business method.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Messages In This Thread