rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Finding out if I should be paid more...

Finding out if I should be paid more...

Quote: (06-13-2015 09:24 PM)Basil Ransom Wrote:  

Your idea is terrible, OP.

Here's what you do:

1. Fish around for a better offer elsewhere.
2. Tell your company you'd like to discuss salary. If they refuse, tell them you'd like to stay where you are, but you'd like a competitive salary, and you know that you can get more elsewhere.
3. If they offer you more, stay. If they don't, leave.

Ultimately though, if they aren't offering more, and you still want to stay, then you're stuck with your current salary. It all depends on how easily you can be replaced, and how credible your threat of leaving is. That's why you should get a real outside offer, and not bluff. Because if they call your bluff, you'll have no choice but to stay and look like an idiot with a tarnished reputation.

Be honest, but be discrete. Once you do get the offer, don't tell your company how much it was, and try to get even more than your offer.

Just be careful, I have heard stories of employers raising a person's salary when they come to them with a new job offer. So they turn down the new offer. A month or so later they get fired. At will employment.

So handle it wisely. Try not to give an ultimatum. Remember you are an adult and sometimes you just don't get your way. So when you have that conversation, just be mentally prepared to move.

Best of luck.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Messages In This Thread