rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How would you "beat the system" with the Schengen zone's 90-day rule?

For a mini retirement of 1 to 2 years, I have considered Eastern Europe (Romania and Bulgaria are at the top of the list). The problem is the Schengen zone's "90-day rule" restriction, only allowing one to stay in the EU for 90 days in a 180 day period. I hate that....but as a means to "get around" this restriction, I was thinking of basing myself in an area near the eastern boundary of the EU, then when time is up, leave and go to a nearby country that is not part of the EU for 90 days, then come back into another 90 days, etc.

As an example, 90 days in Iasi (Romania), then 90 days in Chisinau (Moldova). Or, perhaps Burgas (Bulgaria) & Edirne (Turkey). These city pairs are nearby each other on the map...and costs are generally low in them too.

Is this realistic, or are the customs officials going to deny me entry because of my suspicious "back and forth" behavior? Any suggestions from those that have done this? Other thoughts?

Quote: (01-25-2012 02:57 AM)popeyearms76 Wrote:  

For a mini retirement of 1 to 2 years, I have considered Eastern Europe (Romania and Bulgaria are at the top of the list). The problem is the Schengen zone's "90-day rule" restriction, only allowing one to stay in the EU for 90 days in a 180 day period. I hate that....but as a means to "get around" this restriction, I was thinking of basing myself in an area near the eastern boundary of the EU, then when time is up, leave and go to a nearby country that is not part of the EU for 90 days, then come back into another 90 days, etc.

As an example, 90 days in Iasi (Romania), then 90 days in Chisinau (Moldova). Or, perhaps Burgas (Bulgaria) & Edirne (Turkey). These city pairs are nearby each other on the map...and costs are generally low in them too.

Is this realistic, or are the customs officials going to deny me entry because of my suspicious "back and forth" behavior? Any suggestions from those that have done this? Other thoughts?

Call up the Romanian or Bulgarian consulates and get a proper visa. The 90 Day Rule is only for VISA FREE travel. You can stay longer on any number of visas that you may or may not be applicable for.

You will find that the Schengen rules are not enforced as much in Eastern Europe as in the west.

Many expats are living in Eastern European countries with nothing more than a 90-day tourist visa

But if you want to go by the book, then consider residence/work visas

Quote: (01-25-2012 08:20 AM)Deb Auchery Wrote:  

You will find that the Schengen rules are not enforced as much in Eastern Europe as in the west.

Many expats are living in Eastern European countries with nothing more than a 90-day tourist visa

But if you want to go by the book, then consider residence/work visas

Deb Auchery: How do you mean "not enforced"? So say I am in Bulgaria, looking to cross into Turkey, and I have overstayed the 90 days by 3 months, maybe even longer. What is likely to happen? Bribe the official and keep moving? Pay a hefty fine? Or will they just stamp my passport like it is no big deal? I take it you have been through this scenario before. Being barred re-entry to the EU would seriously hamper my mini-retirement. Thanks!

These are countries I hear will punish you if you overstay:

-Greece
-Finland (they give you a fine based on your income [Image: smile.gif] )
-Switzerland
-Germany
-Britain

Quote: (01-25-2012 08:28 AM)popeyearms76 Wrote:  

So say I am in Bulgaria, looking to cross into Turkey, and I have overstayed the 90 days by 3 months, maybe even longer. What is likely to happen? Bribe the official and keep moving? Pay a hefty fine?

Choose your border crossing location carefully and have some bribe money in handy. There's bulgarian border guards who've made a small fortune letting goods in the country. In your case, my guess is they wouldnt do anything, bulgarians are so lazy. Once I overstayed by 2 weeks, I left through the sofia airport, the guy didnt even care or notice.

I think I've already beaten that system by being British Citizenship and an EU passport.

Quote: (01-25-2012 02:57 AM)popeyearms76 Wrote:  

You should have no problems. The law is the law. As long as you comply with the law, no one should care. You could base yourself in Ukraine, Turkey, or any of the countries that formerly comprised Yugoslavia. And do not forget some of the micro-states, such as Andorra and San Marino.

Quote: (01-25-2012 09:44 AM)BalkanCynic Wrote:  

Choose your border crossing location carefully and have some bribe money in handy. There's bulgarian border guards who've made a small fortune letting goods in the country. In your case, my guess is they wouldnt do anything, bulgarians are so lazy. Once I overstayed by 2 weeks, I left through the sofia airport, the guy didnt even care or notice.
It's good to know that it is not enforced...and that bribes can probably work as a backup. Poor country, should have figured that was the case. Being in the position to take bribes is probably the reason many people take those jobs.

BalkanCynic: Just in case, what is the minimum bribe amount that you would say not be anything to sneeze at? $20? Just offer up the willingness to pay an on-the-spot fine? Have you had to pay a bribe before?

When you say choose your border crossing carefully, what do you mean by that?

thx

Quote: (01-25-2012 09:03 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

These are countries I hear will punish you if you overstay:

-Greece
-Finland (they give you a fine based on your income [Image: smile.gif] )
-Switzerland
-Germany
-Britain

Roosh, no surprise there. I am sure Sweden and Denmark could be added to that list as well. Your time in Estonia / Latvia must be coming to a close here soon...you have been over there awhile, yes?

I thought this was interesting, regarding the UK: http://www.vagabondjourney.com/travelhel...nt-page-1/

Also, http://www.vagabondjourney.com/travelhel...ngen-visa/

In sum, these rules seem to enforced like speed limits. Excessive, blatant disregard could have sever consequences, like maybe being denied entry. But just a few days will probably be disregarded. Guess I'll just have to play it by ear.

Quote: (01-25-2012 09:07 PM)popeyearms76 Wrote:  

BalkanCynic: Just in case, what is the minimum bribe amount that you would say not be anything to sneeze at? $20? Just offer up the willingness to pay an on-the-spot fine? Have you had to pay a bribe before?

When you say choose your border crossing carefully, what do you mean by that?

thx

I don't have first hand experience bribing those guys. Just recently a bulgarian border guard was arrested after people started complaining about him, he would ask for bribes of $20-$50. As for locations, if I had overextented a lot, I probably would've chosen to cross somewhere that doesn't get too much traffic, in a small village for example.

As someone said choose your border crossings CAREFULLY. In Eastern Europe, make sure you travel by train, car or foot over the border. If you fly you are taking a much bigger risk, they do things by the book generally at Airports, at land borders it's more like the wild west, just carry a few Euros in your pocket in case.

Ukrainian borders are pretty strict and it's advisable not to fly if you have overtstayed/broken the 90-day rule.

With regard to Ukraine I have heard of no problems with people crossing the Polish/Ukrainian border, or the Ukrainian/Moldovan border. Many people I know prefer to do the Ukrainian/Polish border on foot, as the border control is just a shed,they never cause problems. If you were on a train/bus then you may encounter problems as the guards are under the watchful eye of all your other passengers

Do you guys know if is it hard to get a temporary visa in eastern european countries? I've always wanted to stay for one year in Poland, but i wouldn't study, and i don't know if i could would there since i don't speak the language.

If you are a native English speaker, go around to language schools asking for work. They should give you a letter stating they need your skills as a native speaker. Then go apply for a work and residence permit as a freelancer. You don't actually have to work after that.

This is simplified. Teaching English will vary from country to country, you'll have to look into it.

AB ANTIQUO, AB AETERNO

I'm not a native english speak, my first language is spanish. I wonder how easy it is to find a job at a hostel or as a tour guide (i dont think that its too hard to study the history of a city in one week)

Quote: (01-25-2012 09:44 AM)BalkanCynic Wrote:  

Once I overstayed by 2 weeks, I left through the sofia airport, the guy didnt even care or notice.

Did you overstay as a tourist without a visa (three-month limit)?

Study for 2 years in France (or some other country in the region with similar citizenship laws)

Quote:Quote:

Naturalisation
A person aged 18 or above may apply for French citizenship by naturalisation after five years' habitual and continuous residence in France (if married and with children, then the applicant must be living in France with his/her family).[4] In addition, it is required that the applicant has his/her primary source of income in France during the five year period. Those applying who are not European Union, European Economic Area or Swiss nationals are required to be in possession of a "titre de séjour" (a residence permit).
The residence period may be completely waived:
for citizens of countries where French is one of the official languages (if French is their mother tongue or if they have spent at least five years in a school/in education under the medium of French)
for those who used to be French, are no longer French and desire to have their French nationality restored
for refugees
for those who have served in the French military.
Only two years' residence is required for those who have completed two years of higher education in France.
Naturalisation will only be successful for those who are judged to have integrated into French society (i.e. by virtue of language skills and understanding of rights and responsibilities of a French citizen, to be demonstrated during an interview at the local prefecture), and who show loyalty to French institutions.
Naturalisation through residency is accorded by publication of a decree in the Journal Officiel by decision of the Ministry of Labour, Social Cohesion and Housing. There is an obligatory delay of 18 months from the date of submission before the applicant is notified of the result of his/her naturalisation application.

Does anyone know off hand, what the fine is? For overstaying your visa?

I'm in an odd situation. I overstayed the 90 days. Got a temporary residents permit.
But the permit only gave me a three month extension. And is suppose to expire at the end of the month.

But I plan to stay about two weeks into july.

I am the cock carousel

so how does this work? how long do you have to leave the zone for?

Quote:Quote:

Does anyone know off hand, what the fine is? For overstaying your visa?

It's totally arbitrary. Depends on where you leave, the officer you get, whether you leave via airport or land, etc. But some countries are more lenient than others.

I heard not to leave from Germany, Switzerland, Scandinavia, Estonia, and Greece.

Yes for example in Ukraine many people who do border runs keep a few Euros with them in the case of any eventualities. But they are only interested in those who stay over 90 days, if you do you will likely be arrested and will need to pay a fine in the region of 50 euros.

The Balkans borders are very lenient, never heard of anyone having problems

I just departed the Zone a week ago, arriving in Croatia by bus. The Croatians didn't bother to stamp my passport so as far as they're concerned, I'm not even here. Unless they arrest me and take my computer into custody and search it to find financial transactions, emails, etc. which might show when I arrived, they have no way of knowing when I arrived so I can stay here indefinitely.

Unfortunately, the flip side of that is, nobody stamped my passport upon leaving the EU, so I might have trouble trying to re-enter in 6 months. There's an entry stamp for Lisboa Portugal but no exit stamp for Slovenia. That means I can't easily prove that I left the Zone within the legal time frame.

Quote: (07-29-2012 03:47 PM)allgood Wrote:  

I just departed the Zone a week ago, arriving in Croatia by bus. The Croatians didn't bother to stamp my passport so as far as they're concerned, I'm not even here. Unless they arrest me and take my computer into custody and search it to find financial transactions, emails, etc. which might show when I arrived, they have no way of knowing when I arrived so I can stay here indefinitely.

Unfortunately, the flip side of that is, nobody stamped my passport upon leaving the EU, so I might have trouble trying to re-enter in 6 months. There's an entry stamp for Lisboa Portugal but no exit stamp for Slovenia. That means I can't easily prove that I left the Zone within the legal time frame.

My guess is you have to stop at the border yourself to get the stamp. Works like that on the Paraguay/Argentina/Brazil frontier. If you don't ask to get off at the border, they just keep going.

Quote: (07-29-2012 08:53 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

My guess is you have to stop at the border yourself to get the stamp. Works like that on the Paraguay/Argentina/Brazil frontier. If you don't ask to get off at the border, they just keep going.

Yeah, I didn't know the procedure. The bus stopped at the Slo/Cro border, but we were not allowed off. A Frenchman tried to get off but was threatened with arrest. Then a border guard got on the bus and checked all the passports, but didn't stamp them.

So it looks like I can stay here indefinitely, if they don't care enough to stamp my passport. Without an EU exit stamp I could probably also return to the EU right now, if I want to lie and say I was only there for a few days in April. What's the worst they can do, ask me to leave and ban me for a few years. But if the penalty is a 4 or 5-figure fine and/or jail, that's not worth the risk of getting caught.

Quote: (07-30-2012 06:36 AM)allgood Wrote:  

Yeah, I didn't know the procedure. The bus stopped at the Slo/Cro border, but we were not allowed off. A Frenchman tried to get off but was threatened with arrest. Then a border guard got on the bus and checked all the passports, but didn't stamp them.

Strange, I did the very same thing about a month and a half ago but got double checked and stamped by officers while remaining in the bus. And then we crossed the border on foot while the bus got inspected.

Quote: (07-30-2012 06:36 AM)allgood Wrote:  

What's the worst they can do, ask me to leave and ban me for a few years.
Do think it's worth it to be banned from the region for years to come because of a few days or weeks?

It is also possible that you get deported to your home country, so watch out!