rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone know an academic reference that explains the modern day concept of alpha male?

Anyone know an academic reference that explains the modern day concept of alpha male?

I'm having to write a thesis on aspects of masculinity found in a literary novel and it would be helpful supporting my argument by referencing the concept of an alpha male from a evolutionary psychology perspective. Does anyone know any good literary material / articles that I could use?

It would be really helpful.

cheers, AD

Is this a master's thesis or just a final for a class? What department? I hope to god it's not gender studies. If it is, anything but bashing traditional masculinity will get you a D if you're lucky.

look stuff up on databases related to the field. heartiste's archives have a lot of good stuff. you're probably not going to find anything on alphas as opposed to individual traits of alphas

Quote: (12-17-2011 11:48 AM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Is this a master's thesis or just a final for a class? What department? I hope to god it's not gender studies. If it is, anything but bashing traditional masculinity will get you a D if you're lucky.

It's a final essay for a pre-master module in English Lit. However, the teacher also teaches gender studies - hence, I want to make sure i support whatever i say with solid argumentation.

Quote: (12-17-2011 01:31 PM)adrian_D Wrote:  

It's a final essay for a pre-master module in English Lit. However, the teacher also teaches gender studies - hence, I want to make sure i support whatever i say with solid argumentation.

I'm an econ/math double major, but I read a fair bit of gender studies related literature. I did what you are proposing, but for a required class in undergrad specifically titled "intro to the study of masculinities". Referenced evo-psych and even biology-based studies trying to explain how "hegemonic masculinity" is based in nature/genetics/evolution. I even gave stated that while masculinity has a foundation in nature, it may be constructed socially from that natural base. Thought it was a great paper. Got it back. D. My instructor, who I assumed was a gay male, basically wrote that there are empirical studies done in the field of gender studies, and I should have concentrated on those papers to support my argument. The thing is, almost all of those papers were "deconstructing" ie bashing modern day masculinity and saying it is all socially constructed. This was all from a guy who said he encouraged open discussion and claimed he had an open mind.

I ended up getting an A in the course, but only because I attended every class, participated, and every paper from then on I basically wrote things he said in class verbatim. I wouldn't risk your success in your masters program on one paper. If it weren't for a grade, I'd say go for it, but in this situation, he holds the power. I mean, you could go to the head of the department or dean and appeal your grade, but are you willing to do that for some bullshit class that isn't even a part of your masters curriculum? Crusade for your cause on a blog or outside academia, or when you become tenured, if your goal is to become a professor, but godamn it's not worth it right now. Your professor will not respect you for challenging his or her world view. He or she already has his/her mind set that masculinity and gender roles ARE socially constructed.

Or you could go ahead with it, and I would respect you for that, but unless your professor is REALLY REALLY REALLY cool, I doubt it will turn out any differently. I would talk to your professor about your thesis first, and if you sense the slightest bit of resistance, I would bail on it.

Quote: (12-18-2011 01:12 AM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

I did what you are proposing [...] If it weren't for a grade, I'd say go for it [...].

Thanks Ugslayer for your thoughts and suggestions.... much appreciated.

I think I may have to compromise and argue both positions in a comparative essay. This way I'll keep everyone happy. I just wish there were more academic articles that countered the feminist perspective. Maybe there is a market for a new academic book that would cover evolutionary psychology in contemporary terms.

Once again, thanks.

Academia does not even go near the subject of female sexuality, and will quickly silence anyone who suggests that female sexuality can be explained, since Academia only works to serve female interests.

Basically, school is a waste of time. It's too political, there's no original or useful thinking coming from any of the Liberal Arts. Just tell them what they want to hear so you can get your A. If you want to write about Alpha's, just do it on a blog. Never try to argue this shit with Academics; a total waste of time.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Cool let us know how it goes.

http://scholar.googleusercontent.com/sch...as_sdt=0,5

I ghost-wrote the Attraction Code while I was working for Vin Dicarlo awhile back - it's about this exact subject. I took an academic research approach to it and found that the best terms to use when looking up academic articles are:
internal locus of control (vs. need for social approval)
field independence
need for social approval
extroversion (vs. neurotic)
dominance
psychological constructs related to status hierarchy
dominant personality traits

look for the relationships between these concepts/constructs. this should give you a great start. I wrote several papers in college on this stuff - I'd give them to you but I lost them years back when my old laptop crashed...

I'm not that keen on evolutionary psychology, and what I can reccomend is what I've been into recently, and it is more to so with a Jungian perspective on the psychological developmend of man.

I could mention the following authors:

Robert Bly's Iron John

Robert Moore and Douglas Gillette's King, Warrior, Magician, Lover

Robert Johnson's He: Understanding Masculine Psychology

I just finished reading King Warrior Magician Lover, and Iron John is the next to go.

Thanks guys - Amour Fou / Iceinthewater - for your suggestions. Much appreciated. Cheers AD

Quote: (12-18-2011 11:54 AM)ao85 Wrote:  

http://scholar.googleusercontent.com/sch...as_sdt=0,5

Thanks ao85. I'll be reading this later and it may prove helpful. Many thanks! AD

Quote: (12-18-2011 01:12 AM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Quote: (12-17-2011 01:31 PM)adrian_D Wrote:  

I'm an econ/math double major, but I read a fair bit of gender studies related literature. I did what you are proposing, but for a required class in undergrad specifically titled "intro to the study of masculinities". Referenced evo-psych and even biology-based studies trying to explain how "hegemonic masculinity" is based in nature/genetics/evolution. I even gave stated that while masculinity has a foundation in nature, it may be constructed socially from that natural base. Thought it was a great paper. Got it back. D. My instructor, who I assumed was a gay male, basically wrote that there are empirical studies done in the field of gender studies, and I should have concentrated on those papers to support my argument. The thing is, almost all of those papers were "deconstructing" ie bashing modern day masculinity and saying it is all socially constructed. This was all from a guy who said he encouraged open discussion and claimed he had an open mind.

I ended up getting an A in the course, but only because I attended every class, participated, and every paper from then on I basically wrote things he said in class verbatim. I wouldn't risk your success in your masters program on one paper. If it weren't for a grade, I'd say go for it, but in this situation, he holds the power. I mean, you could go to the head of the department or dean and appeal your grade, but are you willing to do that for some bullshit class that isn't even a part of your masters curriculum? Crusade for your cause on a blog or outside academia, or when you become tenured, if your goal is to become a professor, but godamn it's not worth it right now. Your professor will not respect you for challenging his or her world view. He or she already has his/her mind set that masculinity and gender roles ARE socially constructed.

Or you could go ahead with it, and I would respect you for that, but unless your professor is REALLY REALLY REALLY cool, I doubt it will turn out any differently. I would talk to your professor about your thesis first, and if you sense the slightest bit of resistance, I would bail on it.

This kind of shit is what really pisses me off. I remember taking a course on theories of consciousness in school and having to write an analysis of the required reading of some claptrap by a guru who just managed to cobble enough superficial concepts from physics and biology together to convince dimwits that he had somehow "reconciled spirituality with science". Being a physics major at the time I tore the author a new one in my paper, unfortunately learning later on that the professor was a devotee of mister "I shave my head so that I look like I'm from the future" author.

Naturally getting a D on the paper was entirely fitting given my arrogant blind adherence to the scientific method over the professor's contention that because she had a heart attack from a drug overdose in her youth and hallucinated, there must certainly exist an afterlife in which we all get to ride unicorns that poop rainbows.