rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Lazy Economic Refugee or Expat?

I've been abroad for about two years now and I can't help but notice that the majority of people I mete are complete and utter losers who could not make it back in the USA, and have therefore restored to pillaging the developing world.

How big of a problem do you all find this to be, for those of you who have chosen to live abroad long term?

Yes, of course there's a shitload of benefits to living abroad...from financial, to better girls, healthier food, etc. The problem I find is that virtually nobody I meet exploits these opportunities to become better.

IE: They don't use the extra free time to invest or build a business. They don't use low prices to buy lots of healthy food to bulk up on. They resort to banging 6's instead of improving their game and chasing top quality tail. They don't even take advantage of FEIE...they just dig themselves into a tax hole that will probably come back to ruin them later in life.

I find most people who are abroad long enough end up emerging worse from the situation. More detached from society, living in an online eco-chamber where their beliefs are never challenged, poor and years behind on taxes and set up for financial ruin.

Who else has this problem? I find it really hard to surround myself with winners while traveling abroad in EE.

I really disagree with this assessment to be honest. There's no denying people like that exist, but the way you are saying it is a very blanket statement. Most people I know from here in poorer countries really rely a lot on outside income that they can't get on the ground, whether that's working a remote job or building their own business.

To be honest, when I first joined this forum, I thought the point of men here was to not be defined by mainstream society. That's usually working a 9-5 in a western country while dealing with a nagging wife and have a fear of divorce in the back of their heads. Yet, guys here are going after the men that aren't defined by that and consumerism saying they "can't make it in the US?" Seriously man, I don't go abroad nearly as often as others, but living in the US is fucking easy mode for me compared to if I picked my life up and moved long term somewhere a lot different than where I grew up.

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet

Replace EE with SEA and it gets even worse.

I have noticed this as well after many years on the road and it sucks. I am also a believer in surrounding yourself with people that are better than you (regardless if it is in business, fitness or whatever).

Lost count how many times I meet some guy at a some expat event, networking thing or co-working space and they start talking about themselves like the next Elon Musk. So I ask them if they wanna grab a beer later; "sorry I can't mate, I also teach English over skype part-time so I'm busy"... Or older dudes (often Americanos) walking around dressed like shit handing out business cards that looks like they were made in MS Paint (normally something about "sourcing" "your bridge to country X" or more recently "blockchain").

I would prefer if there were more people who had their shit together (finances, fitness etc.) in these locations even if it means increased competition.

It is also interesting how the reputation of foreigners in general is getting really low in many places due to this more trashy crowd (a lot of Chinese girls have a No-English-Teachers-policy and I do not even have to mention the stag crowd in many EE cities)

Quote: (05-18-2019 10:33 AM)yankeetravels Wrote:  

I really disagree with this assessment to be honest. There's no denying people like that exist, but the way you are saying it is a very blanket statement. Most people I know from here in poorer countries really rely a lot on outside income that they can't get on the ground, whether that's working a remote job or building their own business.

To be honest, when I first joined this forum, I thought the point of men here was to not be defined by mainstream society. That's usually working a 9-5 in a western country while dealing with a nagging wife and have a fear of divorce in the back of their heads. Yet, guys here are going after the men that aren't defined by that and consumerism saying they "can't make it in the US?" Seriously man, I don't go abroad nearly as often as others, but living in the US is fucking easy mode for me compared to if I picked my life up and moved long term somewhere a lot different than where I grew up.

For me it is not really about consumerism and money (I fucking hate "stuff"). I support people who can make it work abroad in some way on a small budget. For example; if you are passionate about writing, and teach English part time in Thailand, so you can focus on your passion I am all for that.

For me the main issue is that a large part of being a man is self improvement and working towards your goals. A lot of these trashy people seem to have zero interest in this. Being in a cheap place and fucking 6s have made them lazy and complacent. Then you have the people who are pretenders, they are even worse.

In Asia its very common, you'll regularly come across guys that just couldn't make it back home.

It's hard to find people that even remotely impress you - but that changes a lot based on the type of work you do and crowd you surround yourself.
When I first moved to Asia, it was a bit of a gap year where I taught temporarily English before starting grad school, for me it was a nice change of pace for a year or so as I was working a pretty fast paced corporate job back home in Australia.
That first year was surrounded by the lowest rung of people that had literally no goals, aspirations or motivation to improve.

After starting grad school - I met more inspired and motivated people, then once I returned to corporate work, albeit now in Asia - the quality of people I was surrounded by improved drastically. Of course you come across economic refugees and total dregs from time to time but it becomes few and far between once you've established a good circle overseas.

Quote: (05-18-2019 10:35 AM)scengja Wrote:  

Replace EE with SEA and it gets even worse.

I have noticed this as well after many years on the road and it sucks. I am also a believer in surrounding yourself with people that are better than you (regardless if it is in business, fitness or whatever).

Lost count how many times I meet some guy at a some expat event, networking thing or co-working space and they start talking about themselves like the next Elon Musk. So I ask them if they wanna grab a beer later; "sorry I can't mate, I also teach English over skype part-time so I'm busy"... Or older dudes (often Americanos) walking around dressed like shit handing out business cards that looks like they were made in MS Paint (normally something about "sourcing" "your bridge to country X" or more recently "blockchain").

I would prefer if there were more people who had their shit together (finances, fitness etc.) in these locations even if it means increased competition.

It is also interesting how the reputation of foreigners in general is getting really low in many places due to this more trashy crowd (a lot of Chinese girls have a No-English-Teachers-policy and I do not even have to mention the stag crowd in many EE cities)

I've spent a lot of time in second tier cities and as I've started to venture into the capitals, I just see more and more people who I would not hang out with in the USA, and of course I end up hanging out with them.

For example, I visited Bucharest this weekend and wow...talk about an insane amount of loser, creepy old British guys hanging out at shit pubs.

Of course, it takes a special kind of person to get up, drop everything and move to a poor country. It takes an even more unique kind of person to dedicate enough time to doing this on a long term basis.

Guess it's just about what kind of person that attracts.

The biggest benefit I see to being abroad is just having so much more money. I think you can pull nice girls in the USA if you try hard enough, that the "war on men" is avoidable enough and you can curate your own reality to a huge degree, etc. All the other benefits are secondary to this after you're well traveled enough and have seen the world.

Though I often wonder by surrounding yourself with bromads and wantrepeneurs, if you're actually undercutting your future development and losing out on what you're actually capable of if you were surrounded by a positive group of people.

Quote: (05-18-2019 10:33 AM)yankeetravels Wrote:  

Yeah bro, I get you and I'm the same way. I despise consumerism, invest the majority of my cash, fundamentally disagree with the majority of "American" values and despise Westernization.

Being abroad is great for avoiding all of that. Sadly, I don't meet many people who are abroad for those reasons.

It's overwhelmingly people in pursuit of easy pussy, cheap beer, etc.

Couple points.

1. How is it any better back home? The vast majority of men in the U.S are entirely unimpressive. Fat, have a fat gf/wife, hate their jobs, are heavily debt laden, waste their time on video games, and dull their misery with ample amounts of beer or weed.

2. You're hanging out in 2nd tier EE cities by your own admission. Youre not going to find motivated types there, local or expat. While there's probably more dregs in Asia than EE, there's also more entrpreneurial types as the economic opportunities are far more bountiful. There are loads of expats in Saigon with profitable businesses. I know an English guy who came here as a backpacker and now runs one of the biggest moto rental companies in VN. Point being there are epicentres where you'll find the people you're seeking, and its rarely the 2nd tier or smaller towns.

3. There are entrepreneur groups and masterminds you can join overseas. Legit ones that want to see proof of x revenue,etc. You need to pay to join these groups though. It keeps the broke digital nomads and posers out.

Quote: (05-18-2019 11:15 AM)UnW Wrote:  

It's hard to find people that even remotely impress you - but that changes a lot based on the type of work you do and crowd you surround yourself.

Quote: (05-18-2019 05:51 PM)ArloDash Wrote:  

Though I often wonder by surrounding yourself with bromads and wantrepeneurs, if you're actually undercutting your future development and losing out on what you're actually capable of if you were surrounded by a positive group of people.

Quote: (05-18-2019 10:08 PM)Trumpian Wrote:  

3. There are entrepreneur groups and masterminds you can join overseas. Legit ones that want to see proof of x revenue,etc. You need to pay to join these groups though. It keeps the broke digital nomads and posers out.

These are all key points. I would ask the OP where he is hanging out that he is running into such losers? Why is he even showing up at such locations? Unless he is researching a sociological dissertation for a PhD, why does he care where the losers are going -- or what they are doing? Ninety percent of the time, problems that people complain about are of their own own making.

During my most recent trip overseas, I met with the CEO of a major corporation, toured the company, met scientists, researched business and investment opportunities, went tuna fishing, ate at gourmet restaurants, and saw the highlights of the country. I am sure that there were plenty of expat losers on the loose, but I did not go anywhere where I might encounter them -- so I did not see any of them.

I live in South America, where I live there are not a ton of foreigners but the ones that are here are complete losers aside from a few people I met through friends and forum guys. I signed up for a some expat facebook groups here and every other post is people being super cheap trying to save a few bucks on everything (basically backpackers who arent traveling) despite the cost of living being extremely low. Many of the posts I see are along the lines up "I just moved here but don't have a job, does anyone know where I can find work?" They also seem to only hang out with other loser expats instead of other locals.

This obviously doesn't apply to the people who have legit careers and come for work or their company transferred them to the third world office because the local talent pool sucks for their position.

I’m thinking I’m the definition of the “lazy economic refugee”. I live off an inheritance stipend, and it’s be poor in California or get by in Guatemala (where I usually stay). It doesn’t hurt, now that I’m 40, to have WGF/EGF working in a brother’s favor, as well.

I think this largely depends though on where in the world you are? I don’t know why else someone would be in Guatemala, other than to learn Spanish in the cheap schools (though I met one guy who seemed to have his stuff together who stayed there for a bit). But if you go to Thailand/Philippines I wonder which group you will meet? More affluent/cultured dudes might be elsewhere in the world. EE, I would think would invite both groups. Though the poorer the country (Moldova/Macedonia) the more LER’s I would say

From experience, when I've met people who directly call themselves "Expats" or "Digital Nomads," it's been a red flag.
I certainly wouldn't make a blanket statement to call them all "lazy losers," but personally I'd say I've found this crowd uninspiring.
Exception being the ones transferred/stationed there by a major corporation (even though I'm not a fan of 9-5 life).

Most of these.. gentlemen are economic refugees. The term "expat" is just a fancy word for that these days.
Which of course is why you won't meet a ton of "expats" in say Amsterdam or Singapore.

When a person from a poorer country moves to a richer country to better their lot, they're a "bloody immigrant."
When a person from a richer country moves to a poorer country to better their lot by geoarbitrage, they're "distinguished expats," I guess.

If I ask a person what they do, and their response is "digital nomad," it gives me a bit of a chuckle.
That's the direct equivalent of asking someone in your home city what they do, and they respond "I'm a commuting worker."
Nice job Bob, but what exactly do you do? Were you sold a webinar to dump your 9-5 and live in paradise in S.E.A, by some "expat"?

That said, I still believe people should do whatever makes them happy (provided it's not a liability or detriment to others).
$1k/month in a S.E Asian shithole, drinking cheap beers, bahn mi and pho, while being thoroughly happy beats six-figures and suicidal depression at home.

For that reason, I try not to judge these people harshly, but it's also important to acknowledge the cognitive dissonance often at play.

I think the whole point of being abroad is to avoid living like a local, if you are struggling financially abroad, you are better off living in your country, saving/investing money and then you can move overseas. It’s actually embarrassing when you are living in these countries and you don’t even have money to eat out in a decent place. I have also spotted those types but to each his own, if they feel much happier living like that, so be it.

Quote: (05-18-2019 10:53 PM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

Quote: (05-18-2019 11:15 AM)UnW Wrote:  

Quote: (05-18-2019 05:51 PM)ArloDash Wrote:  

Quote: (05-18-2019 10:08 PM)Trumpian Wrote:  

These are all key points. I would ask the OP where he is hanging out that he is running into such losers? Why is he even showing up at such locations? Unless he is researching a sociological dissertation for a PhD, why does he care where the losers are going -- or what they are doing? Ninety percent of the time, problems that people complain about are of their own own making.

During my most recent trip overseas, I met with the CEO of a major corporation, toured the company, met scientists, researched business and investment opportunities, went tuna fishing, ate at gourmet restaurants, and saw the highlights of the country. I am sure that there were plenty of expat losers on the loose, but I did not go anywhere where I might encounter them -- so I did not see any of them.

For me, I do not hang out in these places, I was just surprised when I first started travelling that co-working spaces and expat events seemed to work like sponges for complete fucktards (more so in certain locations). But yeah, to be honest I have been back in my small European home town for a month now, and if you go to the same places here it is not any better.

+1 for the paid entrepreneur and mastermind groups, especially in bigger cities like Singapore, Hong Kong and Barcelona. You can meet a lot of inspiring people through these.

In general the more people want to brag or talk about that they are "entrepreneurs" or "digital nomads" the less of the real deal they are.

A lot depends on where you go. If you're in some shitty second tier city in Eastern Europe then yeah, you're unlikely to find the best and brightest expats there. The most likely expats you're going to find there are there either exclusively for women, or to live in an extremely cheap location. Which in a lot (but not all) of cases is because they can't get women at home, and don't have a high enough income to live somewhere nicer.

If you move to a top tier international city like Dubai or Singapore you'll find plenty of extremely successful, intelligent, high income, very driven expats. Big cities with the best career opportunities attract the best international talent. But there are a lot of lifestyle sacrifices to be made with living in these places.

@OP, from your posts I gather you are fairly well off financially (at least in EE), have fitness on lock down and have intermediate game. You've also live abroad, which is something huge numbers of people are jealous about.

You have a few areas of your life together. Most guys are just floating around in whatever channel they end up in; while others do nothing.

I've only met one person who has their life together in three areas.

One thing I realised after joining this forum is the importance of your social circle. One of the biggest problems in my life is I was surrounded by people whose life was little more than what ended up before them. There was little idea of self-improvement. This is down to first of all having to admit to yourself you ain't that hot and could be much better. Most people have very obvious meta-narratives they use as shields to self improvement. The same people tend to be very averse to the success of their friends, as it highlights how average or below they are.

If you're improving yourself the fear/jealousy of your peers' success goes as you've made your own value; and are not as insecure of all these people how resist looking at what they and society really values.

I get it. It's frustrating to be around these people who are (but aren't really) satisfied with mediocrity. If you suggest anything they could do to make their lives better at best they won't do anything and are more likely to bat your suggestions away, because you are holding up a mirror.

Last time I was in Serbia I met this guy. He made 300 EUR / month, but he was in the process of trying to make a lot more than that. I think what's annoying is not their status, but the stagnation and their refusal to take a look at themselves. If a guy is not at least trying to sort out money, fitness, style, women and his mind - or what he can - then they don't have much to offer.

This is a great example of the mentality. Fat tub or nerd thinks he's paying $10K to sweep Angelina Jolie off her feet.

P.S. will be in Beograd in early June if you're still there.

Quote: (05-19-2019 06:45 AM)gework Wrote:  

This is a great example of the mentality. Fat tub or nerd thinks he's paying $10K to sweep Angelina Jolie off her feet.

Damn that was cringy. I can't even feel sorry for the dude, he showed a total lack of common sense. There's a saying in Russian: "Дурак и деньги должны расстаться" [Image: tard.gif].

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

Quote: (05-18-2019 09:43 AM)ArloDash Wrote:  

I've been abroad for about two years now and I can't help but notice that the majority of people I mete are complete and utter losers who could not make it back in the USA, and have therefore restored to pillaging the developing world.

I think your assessment is a little harsh.

It's true, there are losers who live abroad, but I'd hardly say that they are the majority of expats. I think some people were losers at home and went abroad, where they still are losers. It's the attitude that some people have, it gives them characteristics that they can't shake. I see them here, some are very petty and mean spirited people who have bad attitudes towards the locals. They are horrible folks.

However, the expats who are busy doing things and happy with their lives are barely visible in expat communities. They don't hang out at bars, don't attend the silly expat activities like bbq Sundays, etc. You'd probably have no reason to run into them in your journeys through their communities. I really only have a handful of expat friends myself. The only time I'm in a bar is once a month when I pay the electricity bill and send one of my workers to wait in line while I hop across the street and have a beer or two. The waitress at the bar is my wife's cousin, so I have to behave.

Maybe you're just running into the wrong people.

Sure, the old guys you see in Bangkok are not the cream of the crop. You generally don't move from NYC, LA, Miami, or London to Bangkok if you can pull top notch nookie back home and are making bank. It's generally not people close to the center of the culture that go abroad to succeed. You can find interesting people though.

It's true you have lots of losers going after ugs just by using the white god factor, but hot girls still take game to get wherever you are in the world. Just ignore other guys, they are not competition if you are good at what you do.

If all other guys are losers, that leaves all the girls for me.

Edit: I do not want to spend time judging others. I invest in myself instead.

It doesn't matter where I am. I am the only one responsible for my happiness and success.

A location independent income can give you a lot of freedom, but it's what you choose do do with that freedom is the question.

When I first moved to EE 12 years ago, my initial goals were having a comfortable lifestyle in that country, but once that was achieved I was more concentrated on stacking cash, and compared my success to those in my own country rather than the locals.

Arlodash appears to be living in Serbia, in Serbia you have to appreciate that many of the people still have a socialist mindset and think that their country owes them, in the days of Yugoslavia many had it pretty easy. And some foreigners gel with this kind of mindset, they will sit in bars moaning about capitalism, and telling everybody about their big plan that never comes to fruition.

If you're going to live in poor EE countries then don't be surprised many of the expats you meet are not the most dynamic types. You need to weed out the ones with some ambition, and avoid the ones sitting in cafes all day "living in the moment" with no plan for tomorrow.

Absolutely disagree with what Poseidon says about immigrants. When Westerners move to other countries then they almost always do it legally, we don't claim social security benefits, we don't take other's jobs, and we don't generally rape and kill our new country folk.

A lot of people have a negative impression of English Teachers on this forum. I have no regrets, but if I was young again I would have gone the English teacher route instead of doing some soul sucking office jobs. English teaching is also a good way to integrate into society, much better than some digital nomad who spends all day at home, goes to Clubs at night and complains that all girls he meets are bitches. If you are teaching you are also giving something to society instead of just extracting.

A quote by Ernest Hemingway.

"You're an expatriate. You've lost touch with the soil. You get precious. Fake European standards have ruined you. You drink yourself to death. You become obsessed with sex. You spend all your time talking, not working. You are an expatriate, see?. You hang around cafes"

Still holds true today [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (05-18-2019 09:43 AM)ArloDash Wrote:  

How big of a problem do you all find this to be, for those of you who have chosen to live abroad long term?

Who else has this problem? I find it really hard to surround myself with winners while traveling abroad in EE.

I live and travel abroad all the time and are networked with ultra super high level people in all aspects including in EE or se asia. Virtually all my friends are self-made millionaires or at least have 6 figure online biz, or investors. I hardly ever interact with those types of people you are describing anymore even though I have no beef with them. Virtually all my friends have online businesses and/or investors.

There are tons of high level people who live abroad, its all a tightknit circle where everyone knows each other as we have private events for our communities. Those people have literally spent zero time even thinking about whatever scummy expats are doing.

That's why they aren't inviting you to hang, you aren't bringing enough to the table and wasting time looking down on others instead of improving yourself.

When i was in my early 20s I was a bit of a vagabond myself, so what. Usually when I meet those types they remind me a lot of myself 10 years ago, broke, not wanting to go home to blue-pill world trying to find a way to make money online instead of going home. I try to point them in the right direction, have them read the 4 hour workweek and rich dad poor did and get a bit more knowledge.

Maybe when i'm in my 60s i'll be like one of those old dudes in EE just drinking pints and getting my rocks off, so what? Most of those people got so fucked out of divorce, their lives ruined, and now they finally took the plunge to say fuck it and enjoy fucking whores in Manila all day, good for them!

Red pill to swallow: Your mindset indicates you're probably a lot closer to those people you are judging then the community you want to associate yourself with because wolves have no time to worry about what sheep are doing.

LatinoHeat (Former username "FrankieCred")

Quote:Steelex Wrote:  
I think that making a girl your whore lightning fast is the best way to bulldoze and bypass all that flakey, annoying, shit testing crap. Girls don't shit test guys that fuck their ass cheeks black and blue.

This is true. I have a circle of expat friends that are all around 40-45.

Without revealing too many details, they’re all either retired military or other contract workers. Some have jobs in Manila.

None are what you would call digital nomads.

I do see some cringe worthy foreigners around here and there, but I don’t go out of my way to talk to them. You can tell the newcomers that are all pussystruck from a mile away. The sexpats I don’t bother with at all, nor do I frequent red light districts such as Angeles, Pattaya or Geylang.

I’ve seen a lot of funny shit over the years. One Aussie guy (I’m pretty sure) showing up in a tank top and flip flops to meet a girl at a pretty well known bar in Makati. She looked nice and classy and actually bailed on the guy. Was pretty funny.

I saw a likely hooker walk away absolutely disgusted by some fat clown in Boracay once too. He was young. French or German I would guess.

Just goes to show that even if these girls are out looking for money, they won’t go with anyone.

This is where so much confusion comes from in my opinion. We call them grey area girls.

I think the “lazy” part is subjective, and gets into how you view life. As I’ve gotten older, matured, have read a lot, I’m personally more into the frame that things are the way they are. How much can be changed? Maybe I’m just this amount intelligent, and there is abundance already around me to enjoy life and have needs taken care of. Spending time “spinning wheels” trying to get ‘more’ and be ‘better’ instead of accepting what is, may or may not be the way.

Tim Ferris’ (sp) concept of the 4 hour work could be seen to illustatrate more of a hands off approach to some. Often when your working over details minutia your not seeing the Forrest for the trees. Whose to say you won’t get the inspiration for your next business on the beach when your mind is not stressed than working overtime?

I actually feel the same about cats who judge folks on material success and aren’t about letting life unfold, and trying to manipulate it. It’s two different ways of living life. In terms of game, from what I’ve seen I think it’s typically the authentic/natural brothers who let life come that do better than the bros who “need more” and are judge mental

And it’s a different way of evolving. I seek to evolve when I’m abroad, but for me that’s not about reading or perfecting, but healing and accepting myself. I think in the end, the latter leads to a better chance at financial security in 10 years