rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Spain and Spanish women & Speaking with a "Gringo", Italian, or Mexican Accent?

I'm North American, living in Wrocław Poland, and over the past few weeks I've happened to totally penetrate into a Spanish social circle of Spanish expats.

I've been "acquainted" with some guys and gals from this Spaniard social circle for around 6 months, but as of the last two weeks I've seemingly been completely accepted as a part of their social circle. As beta as it sounds, it's is actually really nice to feel like part of a group, especially one with such a similar language and culture to my own.

Here's the thing though: I speak Spanish in an unmistakably Latin American way. My grammar, and vocabulary are completely Latin American, and I speak (without paying attention at all to this,) with an accent that always makes Spaniards ask if me or my parents are Mexican.

At first, I kept my Spanish "neutral" in the sense that I would say, "amigo" and not "güey." I would say, "no me jodas" and not "no mames."
Last weekend I was with like 8 of them (half guys half girls) for (more or less) 4 days and nights straight, and I finally just let my Mexican Spanish all out, I don't know how to joke around informally and break chops using "neutral" expressions, it's just not funny and doesn't have the same meaning to me. As a side note: I will never start to use Spaniard vocabulary, I just don't like it, and it sounds odd to me.

They can't put me in a box, since my body language and demeanor is "Italian," (literally every European, without fail, has mentioned that I come off completely Italian and not North American at all?) my looks are Scandinavian, and my language is Mexican.

This isn't the only time I've noticed, and considered asking others about my Latin American accent. It is however the time this has had the most obvious cause and effect.

I could see one of the hotter girls in the group's body language, (who was giving me huge IOIs the night before,) progressively close up during the few minutes me another dude were trash talking each other during a 1v1 drinking game.

I know what slang to use, I spent lots of time and partied with lots of posh 'fresas' and 'chilangos' from Mexico City, so it's not like I'm mindlessly repeating what I heard from some telenovela. Plus, I supposedly seem as natural and genuine in Spanish as I do in English, it's not like I'm "pretending to be from somewhere I'm not."

I can naturally speak with a slight Argentinian accent also, (I lived there, so all it would take is a few hours of TV to switch my brain around,) which then makes Spaniards ask how I learned Latin American Spanish in Italy.

So... I turn to you my fellow Roosh Forum members and ask...

My bilingual Latino - American (step? adopted? foster?) brothers, (and fellow non natives who often might have this issue Spaniards,) what do you / would do?

Does anyone have any knowledge? First or second hand? I'm all ears.

...And I almost forgot... Spanish forum members!!!.... Please give us Latin American Spanish speaking brothers your inside knowledge regarding this situation!

P.S. Is there some sort of internationally agreed upon, "neutral" informal language / slang that would even be a suitable replacement? Or do you gotta either pick a region, or abstain from using anything resembling slang?

I don't clearly get what you are trying to find out but if it is what I think it is: 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Rome try to speak as the romans speak'. If you have no mexican/latin american social circle where you are at, absorb the language your current social circle has. I live in Bogota, and unfortunately I've absorbed a lot of their goddamn vocabulary and accent, I hate that accent. But acculturation helps you to be a part of your newly found social circle.

If this didn't answer your questions, feel free to be more specific. Cheers mate. Saludos Parcero.

PS: Man I can't stand mexican slang haha. Nothing against mexicans but the no mames and guey are expressions I cringe when I listen to them.

Maybe you should game in Latin america. You clearly have to put on a facade to be liked in europe.

You are overthinking this too hard.

I'm mexican and I pretty much look scandinavian too (Blond, white and tall).

A girl closing up on you because you didn't use the right form of slang is ridiculous and neurotic.

It is widely known that accents are attractive too.

We could discuss this forever and not reach a conclusion on the "right way" to speak. Most people in Mexico consider Mexico City's accent horrendous (not the one you hear in the tv that is more neutral).

There are a 1000 reasons on why a girl closed up on you and you decided to pin it on vocabulary of all things.

If a Spanish person living in the US says things like 'Proper naughty, innit? She's well fit' people are going to scratch their heads because a) they probably won't understand him in the first place and b) if they do they're going to wonder why a Spaniard living in the US speaks in a thick British accent and slang. This can either be off-putting or make them curious about your backstory, depending on how likable or obnoxious you are.

Im spanish and im a bit "conservative" so take this with a grain of salt.

South american spanish (the one you learn in the US) sounds like spanish from 300 years ago. Theres words and expressions that feel outdated and/or rarely used nowadays in normal spanish.

Dont overthink it, sounds like you are having fun anyways.

Mexico is in North America. And I don't think the problem non-Mexicans have with slang expressions like "pinche" or "güei" are because they're old-fashioned Spanish (which they aren't), but rather because they may sound trashy to foreign ears.

Having a different accent is a cool way to do peacocking without needing to wear bizarre clothes; I practice this with my odd countryman accent in the city all the time and it works: women get curious and I tell them cool stories that DHV, I get an exotic aura. Don't mind changing your accent if you like it yourself and people understands you; people will get curious why you talk so "weird" and you can get a good talk from that that you can use to DHV and get IOIs. I wouldn't recommend changing your accent unless people can't understand you: after all it's your identity and unless you want to go undercover I wouldn't change it; also, women don't close up because accents but due to poor game.

I honestly dislike Mexican argot and accent. I think Spaniard accent, argot and vulgar language is way better -- If you want to see a good example just see a few episodes of Makinavaja or Los ladrones van a la oficina -- but if your niche is Mexican language just do it.

You're overthinking it. What is exactly is the problem? Do you think your Spanish friends disapprove of you because of your accent? I don't think they care about it as much as you do, especially if they're aware you're a native English speaker.

Quote:Quote:

I could see one of the hotter girls in the group's body language, (who was giving me huge IOIs the night before,) progressively close up during the few minutes me another dude were trash talking each other during a 1v1 drinking game.

Maybe she did that because she thought the 1v1 drinking game was lame, or because she suddenly decided she didn't like your looks, or a myriad other reasons. I don't think it's your accent.

Quote:Quote:

I can naturally speak with a slight Argentinian accent also, (I lived there, so all it would take is a few hours of TV to switch my brain around,) which then makes Spaniards ask how I learned Latin American Spanish in Italy.

If the Mexican accent really bothers you, just do that. I assume Spaniards won't mind an Argie accent as much. Problem solved.