rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do You Say "Bless You" When People Sneeze?

Better yet, when you sneeze, do you say thanks if someone says bless you? Do you think poorly of people who don't?

I personally don't like to say it because it seems like an annoying and pointless form of common courtesy. I also don't like to say thanks if someone says it to me.

I never really thought much about it until now. People around me lately seem to get really annoyed about it when i don't say anything, but i just shrug and ignore them.

I say bless you, and thanks. It's fairly routine where I live for people to say it to me if I sneeze. Strange topic for a thread though.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

Does "gesundheit" count?

“As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big.” - Donald J. Trump

"I don't get all the women I want, I get all the women who want me." - David Lee Roth

Definitely - being a badass doesn’t mean no manners when a stranger is polite

If you are uncomfortable with it perhaps just eye contact and a nod of acknowledgement?

Quote: (02-28-2019 03:08 PM)rapaz12 Wrote:  

Better yet, when you sneeze, do you say thanks if someone says bless you? Do you think poorly of people who don't?

I personally don't like to say it because it seems like an annoying and pointless form of common courtesy. I also don't like to say thanks if someone says it to me.

I never really thought much about it until now. People around me lately seem to get really annoyed about it when i don't say anything, but i just shrug and ignore them.

I am in 100% agreement. It creeps me out.

Real Alphas tell them to fuck off when they say bless you.

It's beta to say thank you.

If they say "Bless you" and you still have some sneezes left, say, "Let me fucking finish, cunt."

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

I swear half the topics on this forum is a Seinfeld episode.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

You should say "gesundheit" but with a very over-the-top German accent.

I make a point of saying GOD bless you

Quote: (02-28-2019 04:00 PM)mxb Wrote:  

You should say "gesundheit" but with a very over-the-top German accent.

Gesundheit, Mein Fuhrer.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Yes, and so does my 3yo.

We also say please, thank you, excuse me, grace, thank you for the meal, etc.

Manners are on short supply these days. I would rather raise an anomaly than say "Fuck it".

People used to think the devil seized momentary control of you during a sneeze attack.

Hece the bless you when you regain control.

I never say a 'scripted' word or phrase when someone coughs or has a hiccup.
Why the actual practical / pragmatic need for a scripted word or phrase when someone sneezes?
What is the underlying practical / pragmatic purpose of such a tradition? A nicety? OK, but why...?

Same again with the superstition of walking under ladders & causing bad luck.

Is there some 'force' or 'entity' scanning the universe for that very specific scenario, ready to punish people for the simple act of walking under a ladder?

Or is it merely small-minded & daft thinking from way back when?

Don't say anything when a fellow human sneezes, pass the option to communicate in real life and exist further as the lonely, atomized, digitized, media addicted worker drones that you are. Be proud about how smart you are for seeing past this barbaric superstition from past and how voke you are for having more time to swipe left instead, because in the end it is only taking it in the ass that is real.

Or do say something and make a dent in the globohomo system with each God bless you!

I prefer a simple, "Heil Hitler" after a sneeze.

Quote: (02-28-2019 03:29 PM)RoastBeefCurtains4Me Wrote:  

I say bless you, and thanks. It's fairly routine where I live for people to say it to me if I sneeze. Strange topic for a thread though.

Well, this thread has gotten more interesting. I agree with Laner that this falls in with general manners, like saying please and thank you. My personal experience living and traveling in numerous places around America is that people are more polite than they used to be. I realize it might be that I am more polite, so I see the same being returned, but almost everybody I know makes a significant effort to do this.

I understand some cultures think Americans say please and thank you way too much, but I like it.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

When someone is sneezing I tell them "Knock it the fuck off" like I'm mad, and it works. Science, man.

I like the heil Hitler's though, maybe I'll start yelling "White Power" and see how that goes.

Aloha!

I always just face the "blessing one" and magnanimously say, while genuflecting: "And bless you too <insert relevant descriptor of person doing the blessing>", e.g, "my child", "dearest mother", "man of renown on the streets", etc.)

Quote: (02-28-2019 04:29 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Yes, and so does my 3yo.

We also say please, thank you, excuse me, grace, thank you for the meal, etc.

Manners are on short supply these days. I would rather raise an anomaly than say "Fuck it".

Why is it good manners to say "bless you" when someone sneezes?

^ We were told as kids that sneezing was an early symptom of the Black Death, so the blessing was a way of saying "I hope you ain't got it!"

There was a nursery rhyme called Ring-a-Roses that sounded innocent but was all about getting the plague.

Having said that, I've just googled it and been disabused of that notion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_a_Ring_o%27_Roses

Quote:Quote:

Peter and Iona Opie, the leading authorities on nursery rhymes, remarked:

The invariable sneezing and falling down in modern English versions have given would-be origin finders the opportunity to say that the rhyme dates back to the Great Plague. A rosy rash, they allege, was a symptom of the plague, and posies of herbs were carried as protection and to ward off the smell of the disease. Sneezing or coughing was a final fatal symptom, and "all fall down" was exactly what happened.

The line Ashes, Ashes in colonial versions of the rhyme is claimed to refer variously to cremation of the bodies, the burning of victims' houses, or blackening of their skin, and the theory has been adapted to be applied to other versions of the rhyme. In its various forms, the interpretation has entered into popular culture and has been used elsewhere to make oblique reference to the plague.

Folklore scholars regard the theory as baseless for several reasons:
The plague explanation did not appear until the mid-twentieth century.
The symptoms described do not fit especially well with the Great Plague.
The great variety of forms makes it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme (see above).
European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this "fall" was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.

They lied. But it could have been worse. In my day, there were only two genders.

Men are not creepy. Do you know what’s creepy? Spiders, because we don’t know how they move.

Ok, when we talk about sneezing, let me ask you guys this. Have you encountered ever people who have over the top sneezing that seems like they are attention whoring with it?

Quote: (03-01-2019 08:03 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Ok, when we talk about sneezing, let me ask you guys this. Have you encountered ever people who have over the top sneezing that seems like they are attention whoring with it?

thread-72166.html
Sneeze Strength Determines Dominance/Submissiveness?

Quote: (01-27-2019 11:05 AM)RIslander Wrote:  

I don't sneeze as sneezing is beta. I hold it in and redirect it into a massive fart which clears rooms.

Quote: (01-27-2019 03:53 PM)Akwesi Wrote:  

Quote: (01-27-2019 01:49 PM)Black Kitten Wrote:  

Quote: (01-27-2019 01:12 PM)Nordwand Wrote:  

Quote: (01-27-2019 11:02 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Amusing theory because my sneezes are violent. They sound more like a loud cough. I have to curve my body slightly because I've sprained muscles while sneezing.

Despite all my insanity in the gym as a young guy, my worst muscular injury was caused by a sneeze. My entire upper back and neck locked up, and I had to give exercise a miss for a couple of weeks. Fortunately, it happened at work, with witnesses, as I don't think I'd have been taken seriously otherwise.

Well, that makes three people in the thread whose sneezes are physically dangerous.

I also know of a couple of people who have had years of neck/back pain after sneezing too hard. Hence I actually try to limit myself, alpha-sneezing is probably not worth years of pain. Am i a beta pussy/kitten?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Будь здоров! (bud' zdorov) - Be healthy!

Now what fucks with you, is if you say that in the halls of Pentagon, and get a "thank you" back in fluent Russian.

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

Quote: (02-28-2019 03:08 PM)rapaz12 Wrote:  

It's just as easy to create a positive environment as it is a negative one. Like why be a dipshit?