rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Atlantic article: Why Are Young People Having So Little Sex?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc...on/573949/

I tried searching, but nothing came up. Maybe I'm not using the search panel properly, because I can't believe I'm the first to post a thread about this article. Anyway here are some choice excerpts.

>>Accordingly to a November 2017 Economist/YouGov poll, 17 percent of Americans ages 18 to 29 now believe that a man inviting a woman out for a drink “always” or “usually” constitutes sexual harassment

Wasn't it Marcis Aurelius who wrote, "when society goes mad, all you can do is try to save yourself until the madness passes"'? Or something like that. Also apropos: "A word to the wise is sufficient". My third grade teacher told me that but it wasn't until years later that I understood what she was driving at. Anyway, I'm wise enough now that methinks the above except is plenty sufficient reason to confine my approaching and drink invitating to girls in Ukraine and other countries not yet gone mad regarding these behaviors.

>>if a man or woman has not had intercourse by age 25, there is a reasonable chance [he or she] will remain a virgin at least until age 45.

We have quite a few guys like this here in this forum.

>>Over the course of a year, he reports, only 50 percent of heterosexual single women in their 20s go on any dates—and older women are even less likely to do so.

That last except is particularly interesting to me, because of repeated assertions by guys in the Game subforum that women want sex just as much as men. I tried in vain arguing the contrary, not because I have some subconscious desire to cockblock myself but rather because I want to be operating on the basis of hard facts, not wishful thinking. I don't necessarily give up just because things are bad, but if they are bad, I want to know that so I can adjust my expectations, adjust my methods, and perhaps go fish in a different pond. 50% of single women dropping out of the dating pool has massive implications.

I don't quite believe the article.

"Why Are Young People Men Having So Little Sex?" -- more believable.

Quote: (12-16-2018 10:01 PM)Shemp Wrote:  

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc...on/573949/

>>Accordingly to a November 2017 Economist/YouGov poll, 17 percent of Americans ages 18 to 29 now believe that a man inviting a woman out for a drink “always” or “usually” constitutes sexual harassment

I'de be interested in how accurate that sampling was for that poll. I think your percentages would vary widely based on age, gender, location, ext.

>>Over the course of a year, he reports, only 50 percent of heterosexual single women in their 20s go on any dates—and older women are even less likely to do so.

That last except is particularly interesting to me, because of repeated assertions by guys in the Game subforum that women want sex just as much as men. I tried in vain arguing the contrary, not because I have some subconscious desire to cockblock myself but rather because I want to be operating on the basis of hard facts, not wishful thinking. I don't necessarily give up just because things are bad, but if they are bad, I want to know that so I can adjust my expectations, adjust my methods, and perhaps go fish in a different pond. 50% of single women dropping out of the dating pool has massive implications.

Of course women as a group don't want sex as much as men. It's the difference between, um ... having testosterone and not having it. It really is that simple. I think the confusion is in the social arms races of "social media" and storytime for young, hot or bangable younger girls who can actually get it, and what to show that they can.

To prove this point, I was thinking today just how much testosterone drives us men (crazy), to find an outlet. If this didn't exist, just think about it for a second, not one fucking one of us would be around. That's how little women give a fuck, truly, about sex per se.

Young women get validated first, then they use it to attract and try to lock down or sustain resources, then when the extortioner state comes and they don't really have to do it, on average, they won't. In normal times the rightly raised/trained or submissive woman would get pleasure not from her own pleasure, but from pleasing her man.

50% of single women for many reasons, at this point in the west, are marginal prospects, most of them fat or chubby. The window for at least retaining the youth part is also smaller than they are told, and if you are average to begin with, that might only mean age 16-20 for you, and that means you effectively have 2-3 years (once you get to 18). Add social media, a dash of thinking guys should do shit for you/cater to you, or other demands, and again --- without having testosterone --- you'd rather just eat shit, drink wine, or binge watch netflix since Chad T isn't there to make you feel special.

I don't know if I believe 50%, but I am on record and I think others tend to agree, that only 7-10 girls in a given place here in the US are even 7+. With that many that low, and most girls not being thots truly, the rest are left to being low hanging fruit bang and ditches, which they don't want, so they retreat to netflix and chocolate chip cookie dough binging. But hey, that's just a guess.

>>if a man or woman has not had intercourse by age 25, there is a reasonable chance [he or she] will remain a virgin at least until age 45.

We have quite a few guys like this here in this forum.

That's quite a claim...care to name anyone?

>>That's quite a claim...care to name anyone?

Go browse the Newbie subforum: right there in the thread titles. Or spend some time reading Game forum threads. Lots of guys here have always been upfront about being in their late 20's or older and virgins.

I read somewhere recently that the average age of men’s first time is 26, which brings it back to 1920s levels.

Quote: (12-16-2018 10:52 PM)Shemp Wrote:  

>>That's quite a claim...care to name anyone?

Go browse the Newbie subforum: right there in the thread titles. Or spend some time reading Game forum threads. Lots of guys here have always been upfront about being in their late 20's or older and virgins.

I wouldn't believe everything you read on here. A lot of guys are trolling...shit like "I'm a virgin, please help me"

Let's face it, if you can't/don't/won't gat laid by the time you are 30 years old...you are probably a fag.

Young women have 1 boyfriend: smartphone & social media

>>I read somewhere recently that the average age of men’s first time is 26, which brings it back to 1920s levels.

More excerpts from the article, relevant to the above:

>>From 1991 to 2017, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Youth Risk Behavior Survey finds, the percentage of high-school students who’d had intercourse dropped from 54 to 40 percent.

>>In the Netherlands, the median age at which people first have intercourse rose from 17.1 in 2012 to 18.6 in 2017

>>In 2005, a third of Japanese single people ages 18 to 34 were virgins; by 2015, 43 percent of people in this age group were,

------
>>I wouldn't believe everything you read on here. A lot of guys are trolling...shit like "I'm a virgin, please help me"

There might also be a lot of BS in the other direction...shit like "just arrived in XYZ and 10s jumping on my dick like I'm a rockstar"

People aren't coupling up as much anymore, there's less people in boyfriend/girlfriend relationships, and when they do couple up, they couple up for shorter time periods as there's less social points rewarded to girls for being in long relationship. Girls used to get points for how long they'd been going steady with a guy, and would lose points for breaking up. This is no longer the case, as we've become more of an urban society, girls can hide their promiscuity, and even if they don't hide it, they are far, far, far less shamed for it. In some circles, female promiscuity is even seen as empowering. And promiscuity means less sex, for both men and women.

For all the talk about players being sexual masters, the reality is that players are the losers in the sex game. Well, the incels are the losers, but here we're comparing folks actually having sex, as in, players, versus guys with a girlfriend. So-called "players" have far less sex than dudes with girlfriends. They also have more STD's, more false accusations, more issues of every kind, because they're dealing with lower quality women than they could get if they gave commitment. The guys with a girlfriend, those are the winners in the sex game. But pop culture glorifies promiscuity, and so guys chase those social reward points. Nonetheless, a high notch count means more STD's, lower quality girls than you could get otherwise, and a much higher cost per bang.

On the female side, they just don't need men anymore, we're accessories, like a smartphone, but not as important, not as necessary. But if she has the chance to test drive a guy that's easy on the eyes, she'll do it. Just don't expect her to bring anything more than a vagina to the test drive, being a decent human being would be too much effort for a lot of Western women. We've been reduced to on-call dildos. The "lucky" guys, anyways. The incels are just out of luck. That's an extreme portrait, but it's not too far from the reality for a lot of men in the West.

Basically, since less guys and girls are in relationships nowadays, it follows that less sex is taking place, overall.

The (Almost) Literal Elephant In The Room:

[Image: article-2585086-1C70089400000578-752_638x775.jpg]

Nothing is going to improve until female obesity is brought to heel.

Quote: (12-16-2018 11:57 PM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

We've been reduced to on-call dildos.

That's the funniest post I've ever read on here!

I'd "rep" you, but I have no idea how to do it and you already have plenty of reps.

On-call dildos...

Thanks for making me laugh out loud

There are a few reasons behind why this is actually the case and they don't involve social media or dating apps at all.

1. Rise in helicopter parenting.

From my experience, helicopter parenting is almost always the biggest culprit in terms of guys missing out on some key developmental milestones for their youth. I think in cultures where helicopter parenting is common, men are more likely to be virgins past the age of 20 and remain virgins for a long time. Helicopter parents will typically try to thwart or limit the amount of access a guy has to the opposite sex so he missed out on a lot of that experience which he could have had in adolescence. It can take a year or few to undo a lot of the work of growing up repressed and pampered, this means missing out on a lot of good experiences.

2. Decrease in the WASP/Western Euro descent population and rise in immigration from more strict and less socially liberal societies.

At its core, the "hookup culture" is really a thing for wealthier upper middle class whites. A lot of the times this is the same group that views stages of life such as college as a 4 year fuckfest while a lot of other cultures view college for the purpose of, dare I say, education. Most of the times it is laid back middle class or wealthier white parents that are pushing their kids to be social, enjoy their youth, date at a younger age and "experiment".

Now as births out of wedlock statistics would prove, there is definitely a lot of sex going on in minority communities but you are also getting immigrants from places like Asia that adhere to the concept of stricter parenting and education first as opposed to enjoying youth. So it could be that the same group of people that would have been having lots of sex decades ago are still doing it now but surveys like this ask a broad and diverse range of people, a lot of them including people raised in stricter cultures.

3. More economic uncertainty compared to the past with soaring cost of living everywhere.

While the economy has been great this year, millennials have faced a lot of economic uncertainty as a whole with the way the job market has been going in the past year as well as inflation. Even stages of life such as college are a far cry from the Animal House experience that American society will swear is the norm. Cost of living going up, college debt rising, moving back home with parents and not enjoying the same economic freedom past generations might have enjoyed. When you are more worried about becoming financially independent so you can move out on your own, most of the times getting around is not going to be on your mind and even if it was, you would have a tough time bringing a girl home when you are living with your parents.

I actually believe this to be the case. Millenials and gen z were raised with a lot of std fear mongering and were also likely children of single moms. So sex = disease and unwanted children. A lot of negative associations.

I've noticed American women becoming increasingly frigid, almost puritanical on the subject of sex. Here in 'Nam which is on the surface a much more conservative society, girls love talking about sex. The world has been flipped in it's axis I think.

On the female side, they just don't need men anymore, we're accessories, like a smartphone, but not as important, not as necessary. But if she has the chance to test drive a guy that's easy on the eyes, she'll do it. Just don't expect her to bring anything more than a vagina to the test drive, being a decent human being would be too much effort for a lot of Western women. We've been reduced to on-call dildos. The "lucky" guys, anyways. The incels are just out of luck. That's an extreme portrait, but it's not too far from the reality for a lot of men in the West.

Basically, since less guys and girls are in relationships nowadays, it follows that less sex is taking place, overall.

You are starting to sound like that dude in Roger Dodger:

I don't like being old, but after reading all this I'm now glad I grew up when I did. Where to start?

This is gonna come off as perverse, but it's true. Teenage sex is in some ways the best sex. If you miss out on it, you're missing out on one of the great pleasures of life.

It's not just great because you get access to the lithe, fresh body of a teenage girl (nice as that is). But it's incredible because you get to discover sex at a young age with someone on your wavelength.

This bullshit about experienced women being "good at sex" is, in fact, bullshit. When you get older it comes off as empty technique...or worse because you wonder where the hell she learned those techniques (props to comedian Andrew Dice Clay for pointing this out in one of his routines).

I would even go so far as to say that teenage sex is an essential bonding ritual for young people. Skip that step and you don't mature correctly, in my opinion.

Speaking of my opinions, after my divorce I came to the conclusion that the best couples meet and bond in their teens. If you're meeting in your late twenties or early thirties (as my ex and I did), you're already carrying baggage that affects the relationship.

So there's another point in favor of teenage sex. It keeps young couples together and that makes for better relationships as adults.

It's beyond me how any teenage boy could not make having sex his primary goal. Teen movies like "The Last American Virgin" and "American Pie" were popular with guys because they rang true. Losing your virginity really was a priority. Hell, even the suburban dads were on board with this, with their "wink-wink, nudge-nudges" when their sons brought home hot chicks.

Honestly, I have no idea WHAT the hell teens and twentysomethings are thinking today. What a weird world it's become, like something out of a dystopian novel.

Quote: (12-17-2018 02:23 AM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

Teenage sex is in some ways the best sex. If you miss out on it, you're missing out on one of the great pleasures of life.

Rubbish. Glorified fantasy that you probably never had.

That's why you talk you about like it's so wonderful...you have probably never experienced it.

"the greatest pleasures of life"...get back to your Penthouse forum writing

Sorry, but I don't like reading bullshit

It's beyond me how any teenage boy could not make having sex his primary goal. Teen movies like "The Last American Virgin" and "American Pie" were popular with guys because they rang true. Losing your virginity really was a priority. Hell, even the suburban dads were on board with this, with their "wink-wink, nudge-nudges" when their sons brought home hot chicks.

Honestly, I have no idea WHAT the hell teens and twentysomethings are thinking today. What a weird world it's become, like something out of a dystopian novel.

Well everyone grew up in lily white suburbia where every other girl was a Stacy. For some guys, the focus was on getting out of the shithole town or dump they had to spend their adolescence in and avoid the frenzy of drug addictions, teenage pregnancies and crazy you would not want to stick your dick in. Now add to that guys growing up in single parent homes or with helicopter parents, not exactly the nudging suburban dad type of parenting.

I agree with you on the maturation process and the pain of missing out on teenage sex.

It feels like we are living in a society of people who want to make up for lost time. Maybe that is where we are at where we are now as a society with most adults are single, marriage is becoming less common and there is this moral decay everyone talks about so much. All the helicopter parenting and bad circumstances growing up which made guys miss out on teenage love manifested into an abundance of the Peter Pans and Manchildren out there.

A generation that is potentially becoming a generation that wants to make up for lost time instead of mature like the generations before it. Guys want that adrenaline rush, sense of conquest and validation that comes from teenage sex, that is why a lot of guys are so big on notch counts and sleeping around so much. Teenage sex and young love is seen as exciting, sexy, cool, validating and hip while anything associated with older age has the connotation of being boring, dry, mundane and "adult".

It is why words like responsibility, maturing and "growing up" drive some millennials insane, we had to deal with helicopter parenting that never really let us have much of a youth in the first place.

Because they aint met me yet!!!!

Aloha!

Quote: (12-17-2018 02:46 AM)Sgt Donger Wrote:  

Teenage sex is in some ways the best sex. If you miss out on it, you're missing out on one of the great pleasures of life.

Rubbish. Glorified fantasy that you probably never had.

That's why you talk you about like it's so wonderful...you have probably never experienced it.

"the greatest pleasures of life"...get back to your Penthouse forum writing

Sorry, but I don't like reading bullshit

Newbie attacking a well liked senior forum member...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote: (12-17-2018 12:16 AM)Sgt Donger Wrote:  

I'd "rep" you, but I have no idea how to do it and you already have plenty of reps.

On-call dildos...

Hey man, I'll take the rep, I hate being at 66 reps, it's like an evil number, it's been bugging me. Just click on my name, then click on rate...I don't want to be at 66 reps...

Because sex is not worth having a lot of unless it is what Rollo Tomassi calls 'validational'. Ie where the woman is very attracted to you and submissive towards you.

Transactional sex is what most men engage in- guys in marriages, betas who are dating post wall hags (who have chosen them for security) etc.

I've been there, and it's just not fun. You know the woman is not lusting after you.

Really only 20% of men have a lot of validational sex. The next 40-50% are stuck with rare duty sex from women who don't respect them.

And it is precisely these men who are going MGTOW- whether they are aware of the acronym or not

Quote: (12-17-2018 04:06 AM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

Quote: (12-17-2018 12:16 AM)Sgt Donger Wrote:  

On-call dildos...

Hey man, I'll take the rep, I hate being at 66 reps, it's like an evil number, it's been bugging me. Just click on my name, then click on rate...I don't want to be at 66 reps...

Dont you fret. Lucky number 67 from me.

Aloha!

Kona beat me by about 5 seconds

Aloha