rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weight loss basics?

Weight loss basics?

I'm in the gym every other day going bananas, I would guess I'm 99% strength (people get shocked when I pick up an entire couch etc) but I'm ignorant on diet and would look much better 40 pounds lighter (6'3" 275pounds.)

If members could break down some cutting basics I would be greatful.

Weight loss basics?

Calories in/calories out. (This more than anything will determine how you body looks. Hormones are a very close second)

Cut out the trash food.
Get on top of your total daily requirement of calories.
Figure out how much fat/protein/carbs you need for the desired body weight/body size you want to have.
My fitness pal is great for calorie and macro tracking. Its an app for iOS and Android.

Don't start doing cardio/Hiit or anything super intensive until you've figured out your diet. You want to be able to utilize cardio to further reduce fat once you've sorted out your diet completely.

Don't change anything about your gym routine because you're obviously strong and probably want to keep as much of your strength as possible while cutting down the body fat.

Weight loss basics?

Weight loss is what happens when you eat less than what your body requires for maintenance. There are a number of different ways to achieve this, some more effective than others. Just pick one of the methods and go with it, I'm just giving you a list to choose from since I have no idea what your lifestyle looks like.

General weight loss tips that help but aren't going to do the job by themselves

Drink more water. Ice cold water burns calories.

Continue lifting weights. Expect some strength loss but don't be too alarmed, it'll come right back when you stop dieting.

Eat enough protein - 1 g per pound of bodyweight is the absolute minimum and I would go as high as 1.5 g per pound. If you're fat (30% bodyfat or more) you can get by with less until you hit about 20% or so. I understand that slamming 400 grams of protein a day would be a lot.

Get enough sleep - no brainer.

Be mindful in general of doing things that burn more calories - park farther away from places, take the stairs more, etc

Get a fat burner, or just drink a bit more caffeine.

Switch to diet sodas if you're into those.

Make a spreadsheet and track your weight loss efforts to stay motivated.

How to achieve a caloric deficit

Increase activity levels
Bigger guys burn more calories doing anything, be it walking or jumping rope (jumping rope burns a shit ton of calories). The downside to increasing activity levels is that it takes time and it usually leaves you in a state of hunger, whereby you simply eat more after doing the activity. Depending on the activity (like running, do not do running you will fuck up your knees) you can also get injured.
Certain activities like sprinting or weightlifting or high intensity anything that recruits a lot of muscle will increase your base metabolic rate, which will burn more calories all the time versus steady state cardio - like running or elliptical or whatever - which tends to only burn calories during the activity. Going for a hill sprint or even a recumbent bike "sprint" once or twice a week will be more effective than jogging. An all out balls out effort, maybe you could do 1 minute on and 1 minute rest with 5 total minutes of work, just get the work in.
As a guy who has worked many manual labor jobs (8-12 hour days of busting ass), I will tell you right now that increasing activity levels, by itself, will likely not lead to long term fat loss on its own.

Count calories
This is the most mechanical method. You simply take your bodyweight in pounds and multiply it by any of these numbers depending on your goals.
Weight gain : 16-20+
Maintenance : 15
Weight loss : 12-14
Then you make an account on some website like Myfitnesspal or use a phone app or whatever to add up all the food you eat in a day and try to hit whatever caloric goal. So say you weigh 275 and you want to lose weight, you take 14 x 275 = 3850. I find that this method is the biggest pain in the ass but over time, if you eat mostly similar foods, it gets to the point where you can eyeball it.
At this point, you take whatever you're eating now and you eat less of it. You can try to clean up your diet over time, but this one does work on its own, assuming you are honest and you have the willpower.
If you're not losing weight with this method, dial down the calories to a factor of 11 or 10.

Intermittent Fasting
I don't have to dig too much into the science here, as you can simply download the PDF Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon and he'll tell you, but the general gist of it is that you eat nothing for 24 hours once a week (twice for aggressive fat loss). Diet soda, coffee, chewing gum, and cigarettes are fine during the fast. Drink plenty of water. I would "start" the fast the night before by eating dinner, maybe 5 pm so you don't go to bed hungry and pissed off. Fasting burns fat while you're in the fast and it regulates all your hormones with respect to hunger so that once you do it a couple times, you'll be less hungry over all, assuming you eat a normal sized meal to break your fast the next day. The hormones that give you a false sense of hunger will be more regulated.

Binging at a buffet to break the fast defeats the purpose. You can expect something like a pound of fat loss a week at your size and it'll scale down to a half a pound a week or so over time. A lot of folks with busier lifestyles that eat out a lot get plenty of mileage from intermittent fasting, it saves time and money.

Your first 24 hour fast will be hell, but just keep your eye on the goal - and the scale. Every fast after the first one gets easier.

IF can mess with some medications so check with your doctor.

Ketogenic Dieting
Keto is basically where you just eat fat and protein. Your body then burns fat for energy. Your ceiling for carb intake is something like 30 grams a day.

This one is not complicated. Have a salad once a day (no dressing or any of that shit) and eat meat and butter/oils until you are full. Cheaper cuts of fatty meat are great. A crockpot will be your friend. If it has carbs in it, you do not eat it.

So if you like eating ribs and chicken wings with dry rub, taking shots of olive oil or eating cheese, this one might work for you. Upsides are that most people barely feel hunger on this diet (fat and protein are extremely satiating) and weight loss is very easy.

The downsides are that most people go through a keto adaptation period (the keto flu) and that attempting to comply with the diet requires some major lifestyle changes if you eat out a lot, or have an emotional attachment to carb laden foods like pasta, pizza, whatever.

Carbs are in literally everything if you go to restaurants. Again, I have no idea what your lifestyle looks like, so if you grill a lot or you cook all your own meals, this one might be the ticket. Keto can also mess with some medications so talk to your doctor about this one.

Eating "Clean"
Eating clean is just what it sounds like, spinach, chicken breasts, quinoa, hummus, whatever. Everybody knows about eating clean. The reason why it works is because it's really hard to get fat eating sweet potatoes and kale. The reason why it doesn't work for most people is because it's far too easy to fall off the wagon. I figured I'd just throw this one in here as an option.
You could say that Paleo Dieting is a derivative of this. If ancient man didn't have it, you don't eat it. So the diet looks a lot like steak and salads with nuts, fruits, and celery thrown in. The paleo diet works for the same reason that "eating clean" works, and it was all the rage about five years ago in the "manosphere".

Eating foods that are not calorically dense
In the past I've written about "The Potato diet" where you literally just eat potatoes (I add in lean meat because protein is essential). It's cheap and it works.

The reason why the potato diet works is simple - most people can only eat 4 lbs of food in a day. If those 4 pounds only have 1100 calories in them, you have no choice but to lose weight. This one sort of looks like the "Eating Clean" option except it's a lot cheaper. So I just googled "foods that are not calorically dense" and the list looks like this :

In addition to fruits and veggies, other great low- to medium-calorie-dense choices include nonfat dairy foods, potatoes, whole-wheat pastas, brown rice, sweet potatoes, corn, hot cereals, peas and beans (such as pinto, garbanzo, and black beans), seafood, lean poultry, and lean meat.

I like this method the most, since I like to eat, and all I have to do is buy somewhat different food at the grocery store.

Pick any one of these methods and just go with it.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Weight loss basics?

Thanks, your two posts are enough to get me started.

Weight loss basics?

You can also switch to eating one meal per day while drinking only water - that's a diet that even NFL players do. Your body will automatically lose fat since you go into keto every day.

Weight loss basics?

Got the recommended my fitness pal app calorie counter which I'll start in the morning. Also need to get on a scale.

Weight loss basics?

Here, I got this:

Weight loss BASICS = caloric intake is less than caloric output.

Can't get anymore "basic" than that.

Weight loss basics?

if you're almost 300 pounds at 6'3 you're eating like a fucking hippo.

Get a food scale and weight out everything you eat. I know some guys are gonna say 'NOOOOO DON'T DO THAT,' but they're enabling you and you shouldn't listen to them.

Get a fucking food scale, weight out all your food and post a week's worth of food data here for us.

Total calories
Total Carbs
total protein
Total fats

for each day.

If you're not gonna willing to do this, then you're starting off on the wrong foot. Fork discipline is key for naturally fatter guys.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Weight loss basics?

Quote: (06-02-2018 10:11 AM)Zelcorpion Wrote:  

You can also switch to eating one meal per day while drinking only water - that's a diet that even NFL players do. Your body will automatically lose fat since you go into keto every day.

Is this that supposed diet from Hershel Walker?

Honestly, it sounds like nonsense. What was his diet 1 soup and some bread as one meal every day? I highly doubt he was on that diet at the peak of his career as a football player. I want to believe, but it sounds like malarky.

He also claims he only does push ups, sit ups, pull ups and has a physique that rivals a pro bodybuilder into middle age. [Image: icon_lol.gif]

Walker has a history of mental illness and even his own teammates said he liked to troll reporters rather than answer inane questions on diet all the time.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Weight loss basics?

Quote: (06-02-2018 09:41 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

Get a food scale and weight out everything you eat. I know some guys are gonna say 'NOOOOO DON'T DO THAT,' but they're enabling you and you shouldn't listen to them.

Get a fucking food scale, weight out all your food and post a week's worth of food data here for us.

Total calories
Total Carbs
total protein
Total fats

for each day.

If you're not gonna willing to do this, then you're starting off on the wrong foot. Fork discipline is key for naturally fatter guys.

So much truth here in this post--BUT...

He wanted "basics." Don't get so technical. He could eat snickers bars or just eat mouthfuls of sugar. The overall health benefits of that will be shitty, but if you expend more calories than you absorb, the weight comes off. That's "basic." It's impossible to do otherwise.

When we start talking about diet and nutrition, it gets more advanced (not much, but still).

Weight loss basics?

Quote:Quote:

Honestly, it sounds like nonsense. What was his diet 1 soup and some bread as one meal every day? I highly doubt he was on that diet at the peak of his career as a football player. I want to believe, but it sounds like malarky.

Maybe he meant something like the “warrior” diet where you fast all day and then have a big rib eye steak for dinner.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Weight loss basics?

Quote: (06-02-2018 09:49 PM)Dulceácido Wrote:  

Total calories
Total Carbs
total protein
Total fats

for each day.

He wanted "basics." Don't get so technical. He could eat snickers bars or just eat mouthfuls of sugar. The overall health benefits of that will be shitty, but if you expend more calories than you absorb, the weight comes off. That's "basic." It's impossible to do otherwise.

When we start talking about diet and nutrition, it gets more advanced (not much, but still).

I agree, but if you wanna make lasting changes, you gotta go balls deep. I've seen too many guys follow fad diets, drop weight, and then stop the fad diet and put all the weight back on.

The reason for that is because they never actually changed. They didn't learn about why they're fat and what the major culprits were, they wanted the easy way and they got suboptimal results.

This is a redpill forum. Sometimes you gotta give people what they need and not what they want. This isn't a swipe at you or GFD, I just figure I should write down the real shit instead of writing down what he wants to read.

Weight loss basics?

Quote: (06-02-2018 09:44 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

Quote: (06-02-2018 10:11 AM)Zelcorpion Wrote:  

Is this that supposed diet from Hershel Walker?

He also claims he only does push ups, sit ups, pull ups and has a physique that rivals a pro bodybuilder into middle age. [Image: icon_lol.gif]

Walker has a history of mental illness and even his own teammates said he liked to troll reporters rather than answer inane questions on diet all the time.

I can't verify that any of the things he says are true, but I've followed him since I was a child. He's my favorite running back of all times (even though he played for one of my team's rivals for many years in college, went pro and was extremely successful, until, unfortunately, he was outside his prime and switched to a pro team that was my favorite, but he didn't have an offensive line that could make his magic happen). At the University of Georgia, he was in constant dispute with the athletic trainers because of his complete fucking weirdness and total lack of respect for the curriculum, but you can't argue with results and he was a damn monster on the field. Most feared running back in college. AND then he won the Heisman... Then he went pro and continued with his same antics about "workouts, diet, and nutrition," and then became one of the NFL greats. There were politicized disputes with his teammates on why he "didn't have to do the same routine they were doing," and it didn't work. He produced.

Weight loss basics?

Quote: (06-02-2018 09:54 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

Quote: (06-02-2018 09:49 PM)Dulceácido Wrote:  

Total calories
Total Carbs
total protein
Total fats

for each day.

I agree, but if you wanna make lasting changes, you gotta go balls deep. I've seen too many guys follow fad diets, drop weight, and then stop the fad diet and put all the weight back on.

The reason for that is because they never actually changed. They didn't learn about why they're fat and what the major culprits were, they wanted the easy way and they got suboptimal results.

This is a redpill forum. Sometimes you gotta give people what they need and not what they want. This isn't a swipe at you or GFD, I just figure I should write down the real shit instead of writing down what he wants to read.

I agree totally. A diet of snickers bars and jelly beans is not gonna go well. And I also agree with what you said about weighing your food and meticulously monitoring your caloric intake.

Perhaps it was "irresponsible" of me to suggest such a ridiculous thing to a novice seeking advice, but what I said is really a fact. You will lose weight, but you'll die of malnutrition and liver failure, but hey, you ask for the basics and I tell you the basics.

Weight loss basics?

I don't doubt that he's one of the best athletes of his generation. There is no debate there, but I doubt he built his body off of just dips, push ups, pull ups and sit ups. His forearms are nearly as large as his biceps and he has massive traps.

I'm not saying he was in the gym smashing weights, but I do not buy his claims at face value. They sound outlandish in a way that triggers my bullshit alarm.

Assuming his soup and bread story is true, that's like, what? 500 calories a day? [Image: icon_lol.gif]

What I do believe: he probably has some crazy good genetics considering how great he looked in that Strikeforce MMA fight he had at 50 years old. I am not convinced that you or I would have comparable physical results to someone like Walker on a diet like his and I think just handing out his diet as some template isn't intellectually honest without putting it in context.

Sidenote: I don't mean to discourage discussion or seem like some know-it-all prick. I'm really not that way. I just get a bit fired up on certain topics. I totally get where you're coming from Dulce.

Weight loss basics?

Quote: (06-02-2018 10:11 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

I don't doubt that he's one of the best athletes of his generation. There is no debate there, but I doubt he built his body off of just dips, push ups, pull ups and sit ups. His forearms are nearly as large as his biceps and he has massive traps.

I'm not saying he was in the gym smashing weights, but I do not buy his claims at face value. They sound outlandish in a way that triggers my bullshit alarm.

Assuming his soup and bread story is true, that's like, what? 500 calories a day? [Image: icon_lol.gif]

What I do believe: he probably has some crazy good genetics considering how great he looked in that Strikeforce MMA fight he had at 50 years old. I am not convinced that you or I would have comparable physical results to someone like Walker on a diet like his and I think just handing out his diet as some template isn't intellectually honest without putting it in context.

Like I said, I cannot confirm his claims, but I can, honestly say that since the early eighties, this same argument has gone on--very publicly, as far as collegiate athletes go, and I have never heard a single one of his teammates refute his claim and say, "Nah, that motherfucker downs a prime rib every night!" Seriously... In this day and age, someone would've refuted it. I've followed him since I was a child. No one has ever refuted his claim, that I know of.

And, you're prolly spot on, none of "us" could ever do that and he's just a genetic mutant. But, that seems to be the case. But, I've known other mutants who could stay out all night drinking and smoking, have zero sleep, then show up in the morning and crush 60 high class athletes, who all stayed in and carb-loaded, drank gatorade, took a couple motrin in the morning, suck down some carb jelly-- and this guy completely crushes everyone in a 12-mile run. Would've been great to be that guy.

It's not fair. It sucks. But, those people exist.

Weight loss basics?

Fair enough, but I have seen it said in interviews with his ex-teammates that he was known to troll on this topic because he hated being asked about diet. Couple that with mental illness and we may never get an honest picture of his diet. As such, I just find him to be an unreliable source even if he's talking about himself.

Weight loss basics?

Quote: (06-02-2018 10:24 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

Fair enough, but I have seen it said in interviews with his ex-teammates that he was known to troll on this topic because he hated being asked about diet. Couple that with mental illness and we may never get an honest picture of his diet. As such, I just find him to be an unreliable source even if he's talking about himself.

I haven't heard that, but if he's mentally ill, then... pfft. That would be the only reason to perpetuate a totally nonsensical story for 34 years.

Maybe he started saying that in college and then just quadrupled down on his bullshit.

His physique does seem outrageous for someone eating a Gulag diet.

He has just always stuck with it. Maybe he's cuckoo and just trolling for the LOLz.

Weight loss basics?

That said, I must admit that I cannot speak definitively on Herschel W. and I don't want to continuously derail this thread.

[Image: highfive.gif]

Weight loss basics?

Herschel who? We were talking about weight loss. GTFO.

It's not like we started hating on (((them))). lol

It was legit...

Weight loss basics?

I think if OP were to pick at least 1-2 pieces of advice from this thread and apply them thoughtfully then he would lose some weight.

Whether it be Keto, IF, food scale/weighing or the Herschel Walker Gulag diet [Image: icon_lol.gif]

Weight loss basics?

Quote: (06-02-2018 10:45 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

I think if OP were to pick at least 1-2 pieces of advice from this thread and apply them thoughtfully then he would lose some weight.

Whether it be Keto, IF, food scale/weighing or the Herschel Walker Gulag diet [Image: icon_lol.gif]

Brother wants to lose weight = Gulag is indisputable.

Weight loss basics?

Hey, I'm going to make a log of this every week or two... To the couple critical posts (Fortis etc) yeah you are dead right, I have a good lifting routine (every other day) and am probably at a high percentile in excercise I have been retarded with diet.

Weight loss basics?

Glad to hear it, man. I'm sure you'll make quick progress once you realize how much you're overeating.

I'm talking out of my ass but I'm going to assume that if you're 6'3 and 275, you're eating somewhere to the tune of 5000 calories a day. I can't guarantee it, but just a guess.

On a different note, you might be a prime candidate for Intermittent fasting since you have no problem eating enough, you just tend to go overboard.

Weight loss basics?

Godfather_dust, I'm not sure how you want to go about this but here's my .02.

If you eat nothing but chicken breasts, broccoli, and rice, it's impossible not to lose weight.

Classic bodybuilder diets inevitably look like chicken, broccoli, and rice because it works. I have swapped out roughly 80% of my meals for chicken breast, broccoli, and rice, and I'm steadily losing weight every week. In about a month I'm down 5-6#. You just eat until you're not hungry and keep lifting weights. If you quit losing weight you reevalute but to just get the ball rolling this is as simply an approach as any.

Edit: Just get a cheap rice cooker, some pyrex, and a crock pot (the kind with a timer) and you're good to go. This strategy works in the long term too because meal prep is extremely easy.