rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone used a portable (non-window) air conditioner?

I live in a townhouse where the upstairs bedrooms get warm. But I sleep best when it's cool.

Come summer, rather than tax the central air system at night, I'm looking into getting a portable air conditioning unit -- the kind that sit in the room, not the window.

Does anyone have any experience with one?

Below is an example. Reader reviews are mixed. Same goes for most of the ones on Amazon. I need some direction before I buy. I don't want the room to smell weird, for it not to cool the room, etc.

https://www.target.com/p/sunpentown-8000...nk=sametab

[Image: 14097095?wid=2000&qlt=70&fmt=pjpeg]

Yes I've had an LG and a Haier

They're way smarter and cheaper to use that your main AC.

They don't make your room smell, however you need to make sure to use the collapsible vents that slot into your window.

This might require, measured and cut foam pads or something similar to cover any space left in the window.

I've used one, it worked well. The only annoying thing is I had to manually empty the water tray that collects all the condensation. I forgot to do this once and it ended up overflowing onto my rug.

These aren't a bad option, and while there's still a window vent, there isn't a whole external window unit sticking outside the house. (keep in mind you need a bit of window clearance indoors to lead the hose into the exhaust vent, which is like a dryer hose...probably a little more clearance than for a window unit.

They are usually pretty slick and neutral-looking indoors too, will likely come with remotes, etc., and can also generally function as dehumidifiers.

Re:above - there are those that come with a small drainage hose which you put out of the window via the exhaust port, and the condensation will drip out of the hose so there's nothing to empty. If there's no hose, you need to empty the condensation tank. You want a hose.

Don't recall the model I had, so can't point you to a specific one. But they generally are more powerful than in-window units.

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

I got one that has a tube out the window, a proper refrigerated one, not those evaporator units that only work in desert climates....

Its ok, but nothing like real air conditioner. It basically blows cold air out, but doesn't cool the room much.

So, they are ok if you can sit/sleep in the cool air stream.

I have an LG which has a reservoir on it, however I live in a dry climate so I never use the dehumidifier or drain water -added bonus are the easily removable washable filters.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Ya man, I had one in my ISO in Bosnia. It was great when I wasn't under canvas somewhere. Way better than a window AC IMO.

"Women however should get a spanking at least once a week by their husbands and boyfriends - that should be mandated by law" - Zelcorpion

Quote: (02-13-2018 05:59 PM)RatInTheWoods Wrote:  

Its ok, but nothing like real air conditioner. It basically blows cold air out, but doesn't cool the room much.

This is something that hasn't been mentioned yet, don't expect Window or Central A/C performance from one of these units. Just by nature of the design they're not as good as the other two types, so I would buy bigger than you think is needed just in case.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Not nearly as efficient as a box window a/c unit, but it'll blow cold air.

I used one in my bedroom last summer because that room didn't get cool from my main unit. I had it on the side of my bed blowing straight at me. On hot summer nights, the chick I was seeing said she was warm laying on the other side of me.

Check craigslist. I've bought two a/c on craigslist (that portable one was basically new for $80 I got). Buy a used one, just make sure it works.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

A Vornado fan (or other similar, powerful fan) is a great addition to an AC. Keeps the air circulating for a more even temperature throughout, and speeds evaporation, also helping you keep cooler in the summer. And electricity use is negligible.

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

Quote: (02-14-2018 12:49 PM)heavy Wrote:  

Not nearly as efficient as a box window a/c unit, but it'll blow cold air.

I used one in my bedroom last summer because that room didn't get cool from my main unit. I had it on the side of my bed blowing straight at me. On hot summer nights, the chick I was seeing said she was warm laying on the other side of me.

Check craigslist. I've bought two a/c on craigslist (that portable one was basically new for $80 I got). Buy a used one, just make sure it works.

Which model did you have that didn't keep you cool enough? I want to rule any bad ones out.