rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ranking the Types of Travelers we Meet Abroad

I did a search for this and there seemed to be no thread on this, so forgive me if I'm mistaken. I've had this discussion privately and in person with RVF guys as well as in some threads on the forum lately. We talk about chill people we meet abroad, people we can't stand, people we think are fake, or just "normies". Traveling is becoming mainstream and it's nearly impossible not to get classified in a group.

With that said, I thought it'd be fun to throw out some of the most common groups of travelers we see and rank them from most tolerable to most annoying. I'll put out about 10 to go with off the top of my head and we can debate from there.

Digital Nomads- I'll start with the one most recently compared to us. These are guys that make all of their income online but don't necessarily rely on vlogging but some do. They tend to be more obsessed with the absolute cheapest cities like Chiang Mai, look for co-working spaces, coffee shops, and maybe a gym. Some make it, some are along for the ride but may end up failing. Probably average openess to the culture around them but may be a little more likely to stick with their own than we are. Out of these, they're probably the most likely to keep moving around rather than establishing roots, most might go for a few years.

Backpackers- Similar attitude to digital nomads except that they're usually in a poorer country specifically for tourism. They almost always stay in hostels and live out of a big backpack. Usually more obsessed with finding flight discounts or credit cards with point deals. May take these to an extreme. Tend to stick with their own culture, may judge a guy like us for getting with poor local girls, but try to maintain an attitude of openess on the surface while desiring to find the safest off the grid location. The best may actually find more unique spots to travel while the worst of them are "ratpackers" that beg for change in an already poor country like Thailand.

English Teachers/Hostel Workers/Foreign Exchange Students- These are travelers I would classify as beginners to longer-term travel and sustaining themselves abroad in probably the easiest ways. Usually they're away for a semester, six months, or a year to go explore a new culture because they never have before or not for a longer time period. A few end up staying longer but they tend to stay in the country they're working or going to school.

Adventure Tourists- These travelers are the most likely to go on the extreme end of traveling. These can look for crazier activities like the best spots to skydive, mountain climb, bungee jump, white water rafting, while others look for the most extreme and unstable destinations to explore such as North Korea, Iraq, Syria, Congo, Nigeria, etc. Naughty Nomad is probably a positive example of this type of traveler while the worst can be guys that are not prepared for the possible consequences of making a mistake in this area such as Otto Warmbier. Young Pioneer Tours are probably the most famous organized group for this.

Fempats- To put it simply, these are western girls or to the extreme upper class girls that travel abroad to somewhere their value drops. Some still act entitled and don't realize the situation, other girls realize it and become bitter, some don't care and still keep the western attitude, and little may adapt to their environment. Positives can be that if you're into western girls, it can potentially make it easier to hook up with them abroad. Negatives can be they can be the most direct reminder of why you left your homeland in the first place.

Regional/Domestic Tourists- These are travelers that may be more closely related to the culture of the country you're in. They can be from a different part of the country, a neighboring country, or one that shares a similar culture. Examples include Spaniards in Latin America, Americans in England or Australia, Northern Asians in Southeast Asia (yes I know they're different but probably closer than western countries), New Yorkers in California, or Russians in Eastern Europe/Central Asia. They can offer you a fresh/closer perspective of where you are or just remind you more of the negatives of the culture/area.

Party Tourists- The groups we meet that go to a location specifically to party. If you want a good time, they can potentially be fun people to have a good day or night out with, but are also the most likely types to go to a resort in Cancun or Punta Cana, as well as only go to an island like Boracay in the Philippines, Ibiza in Spain, or Bali in Indonesia. Probably less likely to break from the group they go with versus other types of travelers that party. Can potentially be baller types that buy bottles and reserved spots in clubs or stag parties that de-value a city for others.

Real Sex Tourists- Not like us who go to meet with the normal girls, have mini-LTRs, or even wife hunt. These types go somewhere specifically for PAID sex. Most likely to be found in third world countries but can also be in found in very pro-friendly environments such as Vegas, Amsterdam, or Japan.

Expats- These are people that probably have the deepest roots in the country they currently live and most likely been abroad the longest. More likely to adapt to new culture. Get by by savings, pension, inheritance, or passive income. Some may potentially even marry a local girl. The best can be experienced guys to give advice to others going in this direction and help settle into the new environment, others can be societal rejects able to get by in a cheaper country that can be toxic, some can end up losing everything.

Mainstream Tourists- Finally, the most generic type of traveler we think of. The people who take a week vacation away once a year, maybe wearing a Hawaiian shirt in a beach destination, having a map or obviously looking lost, only going to the "safe" countries, traveling with family, western wife, or friends, and pretty much stick to the guidebook and main sites to see. Can be a mixed bag and may meet people of different backgrounds but they would be the quickest to leave your destination.

So who's the best to be around of these and who's the worst?

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet

Nice post +1. I would classify myself as an expat party tourist [Image: icon_mrgreen.gif]

You hit the nail on the head with the description of the fempats. Here in Singapore there are plenty of them and they're exactly like that. When most guys travel/move somewhere where their relative SMV is significantly lower, they deal with it by working on improving themselves, hitting the gym, lowering their sights on the chicks they aim for, and most significantly discovering/learning game. It's little surprise when you look at the likes of RSD's bootcamp tour schedule that they seem to get significantly more business in the cities/countries traditionally known for being tough work for getting chicks. Note how they never come to EE, SE Asia or Latin America while they can pack out gigantic hotel conference rooms US, Australia and Western Europe.

Expat chicks on the other hand when faced with the same situation almost always deal with it with denial. For SE Asia, Singapore (perhaps along with HK) is the main landing spot for white chicks arriving fresh from the west and almost all of them hate it here. Of course when you ask them why they'll make up a bunch of bullshit about it being too hot/humid, or how everyone seems false etc. But you really know its because they don't get anywhere near the attention they were used to back home. Where you think they would be hitting the gym, working harder on their appearance and dropping the attitude to compete with their asian competition. Instead they double down on the snark and dress even more like shit when they go out. It's standard to see all western chicks going out here in flats/flipflops, no makeup and hair in a bun. Meanwhile the asian girls almost always are in heels, hair down and nice outfits.

It's a bit of a running joke here that any time you talk to expat chicks that you know within the first 5 minutes you're going to get hit with the "So, are you into Asian girls then?..." question. Regardless of how you answer they'll then immediately launch into a massive bitch-fest session on how they're all whores who are only after your money and are all super easy and sleep with anyone. If you ever dated or slept with an Asian girl you're immediately labelled a sexpat. The irony in this is that the fempats are usually actually easier to bed than the asian girls (the non-low class village girls that is). You just need to weather their little anti-asian bitch storm and general entitled attitude knowing that by the end of the night they'll usually be throwing their drunken ass at you. But by that stage I have lost complete interest.

That said, there's an annoying trend among some expat guys who have western girlfriends or hang out in mainly/exclusively expat mixed groups. They tend to have been fairly thoroughly brainwashed by the white chicks in their social circles to label all asian girls as whores and like to pontificate to you about how they're not like you and only like western girls. Implying that the absolute hog white chick they dragged home last saturday is somehow superior to any asian girl you've ever been with. Sometimes it can be difficult to bite your lip.

For example I had one mate of mine who would constantly be bringing this up, telling me I should stop chasing the easy asian girls and instead get myself a proper white girlfriend like the american chick he was dating "if I could". However, what he didn't know was the first time I had actually met her randomly in a bar before I knew they were an item. Being a low 6 at best I opened her only as a warm-up, however she was super keen and within minutes she was banging her number into my phone (tho I had little intention to follow it up). Then later on my mate shows up to the bar and brings her over to introduce me with "Hey Irish, here's the girl I was telling you about". They had apparently been seeing eachother for over a month at that point...

*facepalm

Irish

Nice post. I would assume I fall under the expat grouping, however I would like to adjust your definition and add a group or two. There are many expats living abroad on an international company package, most have been in said country for years, working and earning a nice western salary usually paid in Dollars or Euros.

This group in my opinion is the traveling group most would strive to be in. Within this grouping your gonna find very educated and worldly people that maybe even raising a family with a local or foreign spouse attending an international school, living in extremely nice apt's or houses all on the companies dime. They usually speak multiple languages and have lived and worked all over the world.

Don't forget also the military travelers for instance I know many DEA, Dept of Defense, and Embassy staff here in Colombia that are based in Bogota for 3-6 years depending on their contract. They also are hooked up with an amazing package of apt, schooling allowance, and transportation.

The group that just rubs me the wrong way are the backpackers or flashpackers that arrive to a city and within 3-6 months claim to be experts on everything and anything.....going on 6 years in Colombia and I still feel like I have tons to learn....I often steer clear of this group as I have had countless negative experiences.

The one thing I appreciate the most in a traveler is a humble demeanor, a willingness to be low key and an openness to listen to others who just may have a bit more experience and knowledge over them in that country.

Heheh the denial thing is interesting. To be fair though you see it in certain demographics of guys too who have based their confidence too much on one shaky foundation (like ONLY money, or ONLY muscles). You can see them awkwardly standing around in clubs trying to flash their watch or flex biceps etc, kinda confused and awkward, indignantly wondering why it's not working.

Denial of market dynamics, haha.

In VN there were some expat girls who were pretty attractive, but were just getting zero attention from the white dudes who were wholly fixated on Viet girls.

They would literally stomp through the club every weekend looking ANGRY. It was like "we're having fun, grrr!! they just could not accept that their usual good looks couldn't hook any attention... the cognitive dissonance was just too high.

What I find amusing is how the term "expat" is thrown around by people from English speaking countries even though they've been working and living on a local salary. For all intents and purposes they are immigrants yet the term is somehow offensive to them.

An expat is a person who is sent to work abroad by a company or a government agency. If you move to a foreign country on your own without a job or you receive a job offer in that country you are an immigrant not an expat. It's the same level of stupidity that applies to people who answer "I'm from California or I'm from New York" to the question "Where are you from?" when everyone else in the group just states their home countries. It's as if California or New York are some sort of countries in their own right.

Personally I hate the mainstream tourists, especially Asian tourists in Europe who don't give a crap about the local culture or history and just want to take their shitty pictures in front of the landmarks before going to shop at Chanel or Armani. You cannot make a horse out of a donkey just by putting on an expensive saddle.

Backpackers and digital nomads are generally cool people. Expats can be hit or miss, many of them work too much and don't really have time or energy to really enjoy the country. Backpackers have plenty of time and not a lot of money which ultimately is better than having money but no time when you are young and travelling. Digital nomads fall in-between which is a sweet spot to be in.

Quote: (11-12-2017 10:19 AM)Pointer Wrote:  

An expat is a person who is sent to work abroad by a company or a government agency. If you move to a foreign country on your own without a job or you receive a job offer in that country you are an immigrant not an expat.

Technically the difference between 'expat' and 'immigrant' is purely just that an expat expects to return back to their country of origin at one point, while an immigrant moves to another country permanently

http://grammarist.com/usage/expatriate-vs-immigrant/

Quote:Quote:

Expatriate refers to someone living outside his native country...

...The term expatriate carries the connotation that the person in question will one day return to his country of origin, or at least wishes to one day return to his country of origin.

An immigrant is a person who leaves his home and travels to another country in order to become a permanent member of the population. An immigrant is making a permanent change to his residency, with no plan to return to his country of origin or wish to return to his country of origin...

Irish

An important group youre missing is the "Love Tourists" who do have a lot in common with general tourists but typically prefer to sightsee with a "local girl in tow" [Image: smile.gif]

Good list, fun to read. Some unlisted categories need to be mentioned.

Normal Business Travelers
Defined by the fact that they are employees and the company controls the travel plans. They are "sent" by the needs of the company and tightly follow a schedule and then return home quickly.

Independent Business / Investor travelers
These are people who are free to travel where and when they choose to explore business opportunities, meet with whom they want, and control their schedule 100 percent. One way ticket buyers. Side trips and or change of plans are just a decision and done. People who go to conferences that they pay for themselves may fall in the category. The main point is that it is self directed self paid business or investment oriented travel.

Elite idea travelers
A version of the above, this person jumps on a flight across the world for a dinner with someone they want to talk to. The advanced ideas discussed are guidance for the future and sharing learning experences from the past. It is incomprehensable to other men who are living in fear of risking their routines and budgets to spend thousands and fly across the world to have a single conversation. A secret that only these men know is that the type of women you meet on such a trip are litterally mind blowing because they can clearly read as if they can see through you that you are a man about business and a man in the realm of men, and you are not a man who roams around random world cities seeking pussy. Pussy comes to you. The kind that when you arent on your best game you read about her later and say daaaamn. [Image: smile.gif]

What I find amusing is how the term "expat" is thrown around by people from English speaking countries even though they've been working and living on a local salary. For all intents and purposes they are immigrants yet the term is somehow offensive to them.

An expat is a person who is sent to work abroad by a company or a government agency. If you move to a foreign country on your own without a job or you receive a job offer in that country you are an immigrant not an expat. It's the same level of stupidity that applies to people who answer "I'm from California or I'm from New York" to the question "Where are you from?" when everyone else in the group just states their home countries. It's as if California or New York are some sort of countries in their own right.

Personally I hate the mainstream tourists, especially Asian tourists in Europe who don't give a crap about the local culture or history and just want to take their shitty pictures in front of the landmarks before going to shop at Chanel or Armani. You cannot make a horse out of a donkey just by putting on an expensive saddle.

Backpackers and digital nomads are generally cool people. Expats can be hit or miss, many of them work too much and don't really have time or energy to really enjoy the country. Backpackers have plenty of time and not a lot of money which ultimately is better than having money but no time when you are young and travelling. Digital nomads fall in-between which is a sweet spot to be in.

How is that just as stupid? It's not like Californians and New Yorkers are ashamed be Americans like "expats" are ashamed to be called immigrants.

New York and California are very well known and they're different places, so why not say you're from New York? Texas, Hawaii, Florida, Alaska are all very different places so some Americans do feel the need to identify themselves by their state (this is less common now, but used to be the norm a few generations back). Americans who are not from well known states obviously do not do this, the same reason why the average person from really diverse countries like Indonesia wouldn't.

People in Canada, The UK, Spain, China and plenty of other places do the same. If you're from Tobago, I wouldn't say it is not dumb for them to say "I am from Trinidad and Tobago".

Anyway, I don't think I've met many Americans who claim they are Texan instead of American in foreign situations. I'm sure it happens, and I can see why it happens, but it's hardly a form of denial of their nationality. If an American said I am from Idaho in an international group that would be tone deaf, but California?

@HeartBreakKid

Yeah, I don't see anything stupid about it in general.
It depends on who is asking the question though. If I meet another American, and they ask where I'm from, going straight to the state/city is more logical.

If a non-American asks, then it's only natural to say you're American.
However, in my experience, 99% of times that non-American will follow up to ask what state or city you're from.

So, those who reply a non-American "I'm from New York" are simply saving themselves the two-layered question.

Also, the rest of the world are generally familiar with American states and cities (constant consumption of American media & entertainment).

Quote: (11-12-2017 11:29 AM)Irish Wrote:  

An expat is a person who is sent to work abroad by a company or a government agency. If you move to a foreign country on your own without a job or you receive a job offer in that country you are an immigrant not an expat.

Technically the difference between 'expat' and 'immigrant' is purely just that an expat expects to return back to their country of origin at one point, while an immigrant moves to another country permanently

http://grammarist.com/usage/expatriate-vs-immigrant/

Quote:Quote:

Expatriate refers to someone living outside his native country...

...The term expatriate carries the connotation that the person in question will one day return to his country of origin, or at least wishes to one day return to his country of origin.

An immigrant is a person who leaves his home and travels to another country in order to become a permanent member of the population. An immigrant is making a permanent change to his residency, with no plan to return to his country of origin or wish to return to his country of origin...

The expat is becoming more common, because unlike in the west, many countries in the world are absolutely not cool with permitting people to immigrate. Many of these countries have developed just enough to offer tantalizing opportunities that tempt people to come make a life there (despite the stubborn policies of "you can never be one of us, can never naturalize and we'll always do our best to point that out as often as possible so that you don't forget it").

These folks end up being expats not by choice, but by necessity. Many would be more than happy to immigrate in the country where they have lived and contributed for years, if only there was a path available for it.

Quote: (11-12-2017 01:16 AM)yankeetravels Wrote:  

Digital Nomads- I'll start with the one most recently compared to us. These are guys that make all of their income online but don't necessarily rely on vlogging but some do. They tend to be more obsessed with the absolute cheapest cities like Chiang Mai, look for co-working spaces, coffee shops, and maybe a gym. Some make it, some are along for the ride but may end up failing. Probably average openess to the culture around them but may be a little more likely to stick with their own than we are. Out of these, they're probably the most likely to keep moving around rather than establishing roots, most might go for a few years.

English Teachers/Hostel Workers/Foreign Exchange Students- These are travelers I would classify as beginners to longer-term travel and sustaining themselves abroad in probably the easiest ways. Usually they're away for a semester, six months, or a year to go explore a new culture because they never have before or not for a longer time period. A few end up staying longer but they tend to stay in the country they're working or going to school.

Expats- These are people that probably have the deepest roots in the country they currently live and most likely been abroad the longest. More likely to adapt to new culture. Get by by savings, pension, inheritance, or passive income. Some may potentially even marry a local girl. The best can be experienced guys to give advice to others going in this direction and help settle into the new environment, others can be societal rejects able to get by in a cheaper country that can be toxic, some can end up losing everything.

Many of the people in these three categories are in no way "travelers." I would classify English teachers who stay in each city for less than two years as travelers, but anyone who goes into year three is probably becoming more comfortable in their new environment than the one they grew up in. They certainly aren't "traveling" anymore, except perhaps when they go to visit somewhere outside their adopted city.

It's interesting that you classify expats as people who pay their way with a pension, inheritance or passive income. What about all the people who have a local job?

The same goes for these people. If they've been living in a city for two years or more, they are definitely outside of the "traveler" category.

If they move to a new city at least once per year, they aren't an expat at all. They are a tourist.

Language students are more temporary, but people pursuing a bachelor, masters or PhD in a foreign country aren't a traveler.

I'm the King of Beijing!

"Regional/Domestic Tourists- These are travelers that may be more closely related to the culture of the country you're in. They can be from a different part of the country, a neighboring country, or one that shares a similar culture. Examples include Spaniards in Latin America"

Spaniards in Latin America are not especially "close" to the cultures of the country they're in. Italians might even be closer, in general, while Portuguese, Germans or French can sometimes be closer, too, than Spaniards, in this aspect... I mean, a Portuguese in Porto Alegre, a German in Osorno, a French in BsAs, an Italian in Santiago, would be more "at home" than a "Gallego".

In any case, most of us here are I guess a mix of several types described above... and many (over 25) certainly fall into the "Independent Business / Investor travelers" category, with a bit of Love Tourist after dark...

Funny thread, when I was abroad and people asked me where I was from I always just simply said, "America".

And they would undoubtedly always stand there for a moment before they would reply, " I know, what state?"

I mostly just wanted to avoid an awkward, "Oh I have no idea where that is" and then have spend five minutes trying to describe America geography. [Image: lol.gif]

Good thread. I see all categories every day in Thailand and Vietnam.

I've found it easier to break into expat social circles than digital nomads, because I see myself as an expat more than a digital nomad myself. But not all expats are like us, they may have completely different priorities than we do. They may not even be there by choice. Some are expats because their companies moved them abroad and they either had to go along with the move, or give up their jobs. Those tend to be the whiners. It's easy to say "if you don't like it here, why don't you just leave?" It's because they can't -- at least not immediately. This group reminds me every day why I am happy to not be tied to a single company, having my financial well being at the mercy of their paycheck signers.

The real/adventure/fun tourists? I almost never run into them unless I go to a tourist destination or a landmark specifically known in the tourism books. They can be annoying because they rush from one place to another on a tight schedule, never stopping to actually relax and enjoy their vacation. Their faces are always buried in maps and tourist brochures, only looking up to pose for selfies using selfie sticks. Then they bury their heads back into their phones and post their pictures on Facebook or Instagram, only to rush to the next stop, and repeat. I feel sorry for these people because they won't feel recharged or well rested when they go back to their jobs the following week.

Now the fun part... the Fempats. Oh my goodness, they are the worst of the bunch. Their attitudes are even worse than back at home, where they can actually get attention from thirsty hordes of men even when wearing sweatpants and flip flops. Here, they're trying so hard to compete asian girls with short jean-shorts and skimpy tank tops, and STILL not getting attention. Like the other said above, they grow bitter. I avoid these people at all costs. In 1.5 years in SEA, I have only counted on one hand the number of fempats who were actually nice and pleasant to talk with... and they all were managers of the restaurant/bar I was visiting.

Oh and those nasty looks I get from fempats every time I walk down the street with my Vietnamese girl on my arm... haha, that just tickles me every time. I love it.

I never got directly accused of being a sex tourist by one of these, but I was trolling this fempat on an expat facebook group... she was extremely livid about asian girls "throwing themselves at white guys" and chastising them for doing that, and also dogging on the men who lap it up. I made trollish comments on her facebook, she just completely flew off the edge, and locked the thread from further comments. She was apoplectic. That exchange completely made my day. I was grinning from ear to ear for an entire week afterward. I even kept the screenshots!

Quote: (11-12-2017 06:51 AM)Irish Wrote:  

Expat chicks on the other hand when faced with the same situation almost always deal with it with denial. For SE Asia, Singapore (perhaps along with HK) is the main landing spot for white chicks arriving fresh from the west and almost all of them hate it here.Instead they double down on the snark and dress even more like shit when they go out. It's standard to see all western chicks going out here in flats/flipflops, no makeup and hair in a bun.

For example I had one mate of mine who would constantly be bringing this up, telling me I should stop chasing the easy asian girls and instead get myself a proper white girlfriend like the american chick he was dating "if I could".

I can verify this is true in Vietnam. I was there earlier this year and ran into some Fempats. We talked in a mall for maybe 30 minutes. Both wore flip flops and had their hair in a bun. One was skinny the other was very fat. I asked them if they were dating local guys... the skinny girl said she wasn't interested, but both said they got zero attention from the local guys. They got no play from expats either... I told them their best bet was to go for local guys and play up their exotic factor. (maybe some local guys are wondering what it's like to be with a fat ugly american girl?)

My wifes cousin Bao is like 6'4 and good looking met up with me a few minutes later. I asked him later if he wanted to get introduced to those girls. He laughed and said no way. Quality Viet guys have standards.

Quote: (11-12-2017 11:14 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

Good thread. I see all categories every day in Thailand and Vietnam.
Now the fun part... the Fempats. Oh my goodness, they are the worst of the bunch. Their attitudes are even worse than back at home, where they can actually get attention from thirsty hordes of men even when wearing sweatpants and flip flops. Here, they're trying so hard to compete asian girls with short jean-shorts and skimpy tank tops, and STILL not getting attention. Like the other said above, they grow bitter. I avoid these people at all costs. In 1.5 years in SEA, I have only counted on one hand the number of fempats who were actually nice and pleasant to talk with... and they all were managers of the restaurant/bar I was visiting.
Oh and those nasty looks I get from fempats every time I walk down the street with my Vietnamese girl on my arm... haha, that just tickles me every time. I love it.
I never got directly accused of being a sex tourist by one of these, but I was trolling this fempat on an expat facebook group... she was extremely livid about asian girls "throwing themselves at white guys" and chastising them for doing that, and also dogging on the men who lap it up. I made trollish comments on her facebook, she just completely flew off the edge, and locked the thread from further comments. She was apoplectic. That exchange completely made my day. I was grinning from ear to ear for an entire week afterward. I even kept the screenshots!

It's not just "fempats". I live on the west coast and you would be shocked at how many women have given me shit over marrying a hot Viet woman. Some older women that worked with my mom were trying to set me with some ugly Italian broad from NYC... WHILE I WAS ENGAGED. They said stuff like "what if she just wants a green card?" "she is going to leave you later"... ect. The whole time I'm thinking... So What! If she bounces after getting a green card that's fine... at least I will enjoy the 3 years together. I married an American Woman for a few years and it was pure fucking misery. We divorced and she drug me through court trying to screw me out of every penny.

I know a guy who is Vietnamese age 57 and married a Vietnamese girl age 19. He worked her in his restaurant like a slave 100 hours a week. 4 years in she ran off with another guy. He was heartbroken but she didn't ask him for a single dollar. If that was an American woman she would be trying to take his business and fuck him out of everything... probably claiming he abused her.

I will end by saying this. My mom liked my evil xwife, but my father hated her and eventually refused to be in the same room as her. My mom was not happy about me marrying a woman from Vietnam, my father was indifferent. Today my mom is Ok with it, but my dad loves her. They go shooting together, fix cars together, work on paintings together... ect. He Skype calls us every 2 days... before I used to talk to him once a month. Also my grandma who only refered to my xwife as "That Bitch", loves my wife. They talk a couple times a week as well.

No American woman I was ever with treated my family this well. They often come across as backwoods trailer trash, but with money. I even had a GF run crying from my fathers house and swear to never go back when he tried to show her an AR-15.

To continue the discussion about the Fempats: It's really interesting and fun to see what living in Asia does for a White chick.

They know their SMV drops to the point that they start to be needy and desperate. I remember an Italian girl was bashing the whole Chinese culture while she was learning Chinese in Shanghai. She was also complaining how much she missed her home , how better italian culture was, how dirty China was etc. while other lads had the time of their life. She also blamed Chinese girls for being naive and blamed other low class guys who enjoyed staying in China and enjoyed the attention of Chinese girls. I got a lot of white chicks even start to hit me up on tinder urge to meet up, while in the west that never happens.

Conclusion/ advice: If you want to avoid a bad vibe on your trip/expatriation in Asia, avoid white chicks

Irish hit the nail on the head with fempats. I actually went on a date with an Australian chick (first and last time) against my Australian friends advice when I was in Saigon. It was kind of amusing and depressing at the same time. She basically cried the whole time saying how she missed home and she was going to quit her job to go back because guys wont give her the time of day. Then she went on to say how slutty Vietnamese girls were and they would steal her guys away from her and pointed out that a few were checking me out.

This is some funny ass stories you guys got there. Although Im sure if they are decently attractive and showed any interest in the local populace they could grab some attention quite easily.

One type that I run into fairly frequently in the Philippines is the "returning home immigrant".

Usually they moved to the USA as a kid or teen and now they are in their 20s or 30s or even 70s, and are returning back to visit their homeland for the first time. It's a very bizarre situation where they are the local but asking me for advice and I'm the expert. They've all been really nice people in my experience.

Another interesting type is what I'd call the "dodgy businessman". They're usually either a local of the country I'm visiting or Indian or from a poorer Arabian country. They can be typically found in sketchy run down hotels where they say they are renting a room by the month, often in 2nd tier cities, and claim to be running a business that they are either very vague about or they explain but the story doesn't really add up. They're usually very friendly and will invite you out drinking or to a casino. Does anyone have any experience with these types? I've avoided them whenever I've run into them but I'm sure some people have some interesting stories to tell!

Quote: (11-13-2017 02:43 AM)Putin Closes Wrote:  

This is some funny ass stories you guys got there. Although Im sure if they are decently attractive and showed any interest in the local populace they could grab some attention quite easily.

In my experience Asian guys are not like Western, Latin, or African men in terms of standards. Most western guys would fuck sheep if they can't find a woman. Guys are so thirsty here my sister who is probably a low 3 has a constant supply of black guys to bang (thats her thing). The same level of thirst just does not exist in Asia. I don't know why.

If a caucasian girl wants to score a guy in Asia... she better be at least a 7 or she can forget dating up.

So what group are you in?

For me I guess its the Fempat.

Quote: (11-13-2017 09:44 AM)Road_Less_Taken Wrote:  

So what group are you in?
For me I guess its the Fempat.

So... you are a Fempat?

Most trips I would consider myself a "dodgy businessman" type. The exception is when I'm in Vietnam visiting my In-Laws for 2 or 3 weeks. At that point I just hang out with my wife's brothers, drink, gamble, hang out at coffee shops. I don't know how to classify that.

lol the dodgy businessman... yeah there's a few of those!

Quote: (11-13-2017 02:52 AM)the-dream Wrote:  

One type that I run into fairly frequently in the Philippines is the "returning home immigrant".

Usually they moved to the USA as a kid or teen and now they are in their 20s or 30s or even 70s, and are returning back to visit their homeland for the first time. It's a very bizarre situation where they are the local but asking me for advice and I'm the expert. They've all been really nice people in my experience.

Another interesting type is what I'd call the "dodgy businessman". They're usually either a local of the country I'm visiting or Indian or from a poorer Arabian country. They can be typically found in sketchy run down hotels where they say they are renting a room by the month, often in 2nd tier cities, and claim to be running a business that they are either very vague about or they explain but the story doesn't really add up. They're usually very friendly and will invite you out drinking or to a casino. Does anyone have any experience with these types? I've avoided them whenever I've run into them but I'm sure some people have some interesting stories to tell!

This bings back a great memory. When I was 20 (over 20 years ago) I was on a train from Hungary to Romania and met some dodgy businessmen (usually some kind of low end traders as I understand your definition) who were taking glasses frames from Hungary to Turkey where they could make 5 x their money. They became very friendly when I opened a Romanian page in my travel dictionary and tried to greet them. Then came out the bread, Johnny Walker, and salami and who knows what the fuck the conversation was about. They told me to call them when I got to Bucharest, which I did, after my one week stop in Brasov. I stayed with them for a few days. My game was non existent those days but I will never forget the cheeks and hair on one of their nieces who was about my age of 20 who was the most "natural" beauty I had ever seen in my life up to that time. The wife, another beauty, was making custom ski jackets lined with hundreds of glasses frames sewn inside to wear across into Turkey (this was December). I cannot reveal whether I wore one of those jackets or not but yes I was invited to Turkey and went. Good times, with my dodgy businessman friends.

An early version of a selfie, Istanbul 1993:

[Image: pict0134.jpg]

The Hateful, Fallen Expat

I'm not sure if you encounter these guys in other asian countries but China is full of these guys. They hate absolutely everything and have been in China for a long time. They usually speak really great Chinese but are just so damn salty about everything that you wonder where the truth and fiction of their story begins and ends.

I deem them fallen because they're usually from strong backgrounds. They arrived in China with little or nothing, built themselves up from the ground up through sweat equity, but they absolutely hate china with a passion despite having pretty solid lifestyles.

They sorta serve as the canary in the coal mine for me since they're a sign of what we can become if we stay in certain places for too long without a backup plan.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.