rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to make passive money with niche websites

I've finally put together a detailed datasheet that is forum-action-applicable regarding how I've been able to go from $100 to $7,000 of passive income within the past year.

Granted, part of that is my main blog taking off, but I also built many small niche sites that have had very good success.

I should disclaim that yes, I do have a paid course at the end of all the free videos and info, but I hope I don't come across as some crazy marketer selling wild dreams. I was a member of this forum and wrote at ROK long before I actually had any success with online business.

It has been a long journey.

Please do post any questions you have in the thread and I will be happy to answer them.

INTRODUCTION

Who is a niche site for?

1. The person who likes to write and maybe likes the idea of "blogging" for a living. Now, blogging is an incredibly poor way to actually make money, and I'll get into the why in a second.

2. Someone who is looking to build a piece of small web "real estate", and has the capital to outsource the writing (the most time consuming part) of the endeavor.

What I mean by this, is that a small and profitable website can sometimes resell up to 20-30x it's monthly earnings (this has risen in recent years). This means that if your site is bringing in a grand a month of income with little maintenance work, you could reasonably fetch $20-$30k for it at an auction; obviously this depends on many circumstances and is an estimate.

My Background

I quit my job February of 2016, and decided to go all-in on building my site. At that point, I'd been writing at ROK for several years, had hundreds of posts on my site, a couple books out, and a course in the works.

Well, come July 2016 I was struggling - big time. Made about $100 that month, and was seriously concerned my whole move across the world journey was going to go up in flames.

I kept working on my own site, but decided I'd built up a small site dedicated to Ukraine (where I lived for most of 2016).

I didn't take any courses, read any books, or anything. I just put what I knew about writing into practice, found keywords that I could rank for, and hoped for the best.

A year later it makes over $1,000 a month and I've been able to replicate it several times over. In the meantime, near the end of 2016 my main site really began to flourish.

The point is - making money online and building something does take a lot of time and effort, and it's rarely an overnight success. You should rightfully be very cautious of those people who give you those broke-to-$100k/month numbers all while providing no actual proof besides some Excel spreadsheet screenshots.

Why not a blog?

Because a blog takes an unbelievable amount of time and is one of the most thankless things in the world.

If you look at the numbers, they're depressing. If you get 1,000 visitors a day to your site, how many will truly buy something? How many will even give you an email address?

Not many, it's a numbers game - just like picking up girls...

However, a targeted niche site where you are going after people who are already looking to buy, and simply need that push over the edge - is far easier and requires far less time.

With a blog, until you have an audience, nobody cares. Remember that everybody is simply looking out for themselves in life. Unless you happen to have the exact solution for their exact problem, you are unlikely to convert that visitor into bottom line.

It takes a blog, especially in today's saturated market, hundreds of pieces of content and months (if not years) of dedication to begin to get traction.

Whereas with a niche site (which can be a "blog" if you pick a topic you like), you can easily get traction within a month if you do things right.

The Proof

Many of my sites are public, as I've used them as a stepping ground to put this into a system, and also because it gave me content to write about on my main blog. Yes, I do keep some of my niche sites private, but I'm pretty open about most things. So, here are the niche sites that I do post publicly about: Please, do check them all out for yourself and verify my claims. If there's any lesson you can learn about online business, it is to not follow blindly suit. Look at "gurus" and see if they actually put what they preach into action, and don't make their money purely from teaching people how to make money (I know I know, sounds hypocritical - it's why I said to verify them).

So, as of this month Ukraine Living is making about $1,000-$1,300 a month.

Eastern European Travel is about $500.

Speaking Abroad is about $200

Types of Tequila was my first crack at this (early 2016), and while I learned a lot, it was a terrible niche choice. It makes maybe $30-$50 a month.

I have another site bringing in about $1,500 a month, and another bringing in about $300. I've also recently spun up three other sites in the last month, all of which I think will get to that $300/m mark by early 2018.

WHAT YOU NEED STARTING OUT

Web Hosts and Themes

Everybody wanting to try this out should simply use WordPress. It's very beginner-friendly and you can have a site up and going within a matter of minutes instead of hours of hell.

I'm not going to argue about which host is better than which, but use this as a guideline: you should pay about $75-$100 a year to host UNLIMITED websites. If you only want to host one website, you can cut that in about half. But in most cases, the unlimited plan is best (you do own YourName.com, right?). Plus, once you see success with one site you'll undoubtedly want to spin up another.

As far as themes, I'd advise you to steer clear of expensive products starting out, but you should try to take a step above the free WordPress themes. There are many options out there in the $25-$50 range that will work just fine starting out.

Other Tools

You do not "need" any fancy keyword software, but yes - they certainly can make your life easier if you want to go down that route. But, starting out, simple research with free and common sense can prevail.

All in all, one of the main benefits to projects like this are that it should be very little up-front investment from a monetary perspective. $100-$150 for hosting, theme, and domain is more than sufficient to get your foot in the door. Once you start having some money come in you can consider investing it in tools to make things just a little bit easier.

Time

Look, I'm on easy street now but it did take a lot of pain to get there. You're going to need to sit down and write, or hire it out (more on that in the FAQs). Set aside thirty minutes first thing in the morning and just get it done. If you work a full-time job, stay up later and work on this at night.

THE METHODS

What should you write about?

Some people really, really like money, and are able to suck it up and write interesting content if they know it is going to churn the sales and add bottom line to their bank accounts.

But other people (read: MOST) are not going to do well with this method.

I mean, do you really want to create a niche website about, say…the best cat litter products?

I can see it now, a niche site built around kitty poo.

Headlines include:

The Sure-Fire Way to Make Sure Your Cat Craps Correctly
Doing Doo-Doo The Right Way
Why Your Precious Kitty Takes Ginormous Dumps

I mean, I can see the profits coming in…if you can stomach writing about this crap (pun totally intended). In reality, tackling a subject like that is probably best reserved for those with experience making money online, who know how to build a profitable site and are able to put their head down and grind.

The best advice I can give? Your first site better be something you can at least tolerate. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that it's probably not cat litter.

The Big 3

Health, wealth, relationships. Almost everything comes down to these three, and there's sub-niches within them.

For example, within health you'd have supplements, yoga, weight-lifting, dieting, etc.

Within relationships you'd have text game, sex tips, LTR tips, etc.

Within wealth you'd have banking, personal finance, how to make money online, minimalism, etc.

The vast majority of topics are going to someway or another end up back with one of these big 3, so don't crap on them just because you automatically assume it's been done before. In all likelihood, it has been - the question is, can you do it better? You don't need to invent the wheel. Creating a product or a new market is much, much harder than selling to one that already exists and is ready to buy.

Criteria For Picking a Niche

Now that we've covered what you should or shouldn't write about, you can start to actually research what you're going to build your site around. Grab a piece of paper and just write every idea that comes to your head. Once you've done that, head over to the Google Keyword Planner, Moz, or any other tool you like and start punching them in.

A Note About SEO

This is something that often gets overlooked in the case of SEO - sometimes you just can't win. For example, you are never, ever going to rank for the word "ketchup". Go Google that word now, and you'll see what I mean.

You've got Heinz, Wikipedia, Food Network, AllRecipes, and many other top-ranking sites that have a complete monopoly on that keyword. You could write the longest, best, most beautiful post in the world with the keyword of "ketchup" and guess what - you are going to sit down on page 8 of Google hell (and maybe not even that).

But if you start digging a little bit deeper, you can find things. Think along the lines of:
  • Ketchup like BBQ sauce
  • Best ketchup for hamburgers
  • Best ketchup for hot dogs
  • How to make homemade ketchup
  • Craft ketchup (dunno if this is even a thing, but probably is)
Now, I've made those up off the top of my head, but hopefully you see my point. These are often called "long-tail keywords", and are more specific than generic keywords that no little guy ever has a chance to rank for. These longer-tail keywords are going to be the bread and butter of how you can make money with a niche site.

Once you gather a batch of keywords around a niche you're in, start actually searching for those terms. This is a key step many people miss. If you do searches, and the entire front page is filled with long-standing authority sites, magazines, etc. - YOU DON'T HAVE A CHANCE IN THE WORLD. Do not bother trying to compete with them, they have a much higher ad budget, domain history, and more.

IMPORTANT: Buyer Intent Keywords

Now, as you do your keyword research, you're going to come across things that have a higher difficulty of ranking (every tool calls it something different and uses a different algorithm). Especially the keywords with BUYER INTENT.

So, think about it this way. Let's say you just built a new patio, and want to put a pizza oven out there. Again, this is a totally theoretical scenario. While doing your research, you run across this batch of keywords in a completely random order:
  • pizza oven 2017
  • where to buy SuperDuper pizza oven
  • can you make pizza at home
  • pizza oven for the home
  • how to make a homemade pizza in the oven
  • best pizza ovens for home
  • best pizza ovens 2017
  • SuperDuper pizza oven review
  • SuperDuper pizza oven vs DuperSuper pizza oven
  • how to install pizza oven in your home
Now, think about those in a chronological order, and then think about which one of those keywords is most valuable. Somebody who is searching for "can you make pizza at home" is just browsing for entertainment. Therefore, you are likely to have lower competition for this kind of keyword - and if they find your site, you are going to have a harder sell.

Now...somebody who is searching for "where to buy SuperDuper pizza oven" - that person probably has their credit card out and is ready to buy NOW. Therefore, it's fair to assume that this keyword (in most cases) is going to have a much higher level of difficulty to rank for.

Taking all these keywords, this would be the general order that someone would probably start their pizza oven journey in:
  • can you make pizza at home
  • how to make a homemade pizza in the oven
  • pizza oven for the home
  • pizza oven 2017
  • best pizza ovens 2017
  • best pizza ovens for home
  • SuperDuper pizza oven vs DuperSuper pizza oven
  • SuperDuper pizza oven review
  • how to install pizza oven in your home
  • where to buy SuperDuper pizza oven
That would also be a rough guesstimate of how easy it is (top) to rank for a keyword, versus the difficulty (bottom). Of course, this is also going to vary on the product. A $5,000 pizza oven is a much tougher sell than a $20 bottle of supplements or protein powder. While I wish I could give an exact formula to use in every scenario, there is always going to be a certain amount of unknown in any type of business. It's just how the game works.

HOW TO ACTUALLY MAKE MONEY

Affiliates

Most of you are probably familiar with affiliate marketing on some level or another. Another company or person has a product, you put your special link in, and every time someone clicks that links and buys then you get a commission.

The benefit to this is that it's easy to implement and test. So, with everything you've learned so far in this thread (which is just scratching the surface, really), here is what you do.

1. Pick your niche - again, something you can at least tolerate.
  2. Look up keywords within that niche, see the difficulty and feasability for ranking within that area of expertise
  3. Note the BUYER INTENT keywords and how saturated that market is - that is where there is real money to be made
  4. Begin by writing - no need to build the site first. If you can't manage to write a few posts about the subject then it's probably not for you in the first place
So yes, this means you must find products that you are comfortable selling. Ideally, for your first site, it should be something you've actually used and has made your life better. A good rule of thumb is that if it's a digital product (courses, eBooks, etc), you should be looking for AT LEAST a 50% commission. If it's something physical, like supplements or training gear, anywhere from 10-20% is good.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know what is always going to work best. When it comes to online business, you always need to be testing things. Make sure you have Google Analytics installed so you can see how many people are clicking the links, and correlate it to the affiliate portal to see how many purchases come from those clicks.

Over time, you'll also begin to receive inquires about sponsored posts, guest opportunities, etc. For example, on the Speaking Abroad website, you'll notice the most recent post is an absolutely terrible post about whether or not a Russian girl loves you. Some foreign bride agency paid me $100 to run that post (they bought 4 other slots on my other sites, too).

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

"You already had experience with websites and writing - what's reasonable for a complete newbie?"

I strongly feel that someone with basic technical and writing skills could see success of making $100 within three months. Of course, it gets easier and easier with time - these numbers multiply quickly within time. Once you start making money passively come in, it just goes up.

It does take about a month for you to get out of the "sandbox" with Google. They do not rank new sites until you have enough content, and enough time has passed, before they start giving you traffic. They want to make sure that you are a quality source. There are ways to circumvent this, but it is far beyond the scope of this article.

"I don't like writing. What do I do?"

The most difficult part is writing. You should try to sit down and do a little bit each day. Try to tell stories about your personal life and then tie them into the theme of your site, or whatever it is that you are selling. They are far, far easier to write than trying just to pound out generic product reviews or speculation.

Read Ben Settle if you need some tips on how to do this properly.

Again, you must pick something that, starting out, you can at least tolerate. Don't try to pick a subject you know nothing about or have no interest in. At the same time, don't copy everything I've done exactly. Only I can be Kyle. You have to be you, or else it just won't work. I know that sounds incredibly cliche, but it's also incredibly true. Find your own voice, or...

"Can I hire out the writing? I absolutely, positively hate that shit."

The answer? Maybe.

To shed some light on this, I no longer write for the niche sites. All of my time goes into the long-term goals of Trouble (books, podcasts, etc.). About a year ago, I found a writer on Upwork and she has been with me since. I started transitioning out of doing any writing whatsoever for these sites earlier in the year.

You'll need to know what you're looking for and you need to be specific. You will likely have to kiss a few frogs before you find a princess in this regard.

Another friend I know, who has about ten sites, has nearly 10 writers on his staff. All of them are incredibly flaky and disappear for months on end. Hell, I've even hired friends with defunct blogs to write and they flake, too. I consider myself very fortunate in this regard - to have one very reliable writer whom also writes well and I get along with. So, how's our arrangement work?

She lives in Eastern Europe, but speaks perfect English and is a med student, so her writing is good, too. At the beginning of the month, I put 25-30 topics into an Excel spreadsheet on my OneDrive for her. ~5-7 of them are priority. She works on them throughout the month, submits them on WordPress, and at the end of the month I pay her (it's excellent pay for someone in EE, but it's a good deal for me, too). This means that she is essentially able to build up an entire site for me every month (from experience it takes roughly 20 articles up before you really get traction).

It takes roughly 2 hours/month to organize what I want done, and we might swap an occasional email or text throughout the month to keep up to date on things. It takes me roughly 10-15 minutes to add images and affiliate links to her posts, and give them a once-over to make sure the English is on-point, and up it goes to make me money potentially forever.

"What's the LONG-TERM plan?"

The thing is, once you start, it's easy to keep going, and eventually you can sort of transition to an "authority" site - almost...like a blog. In the case of Ukraine Living, it does nearly 1,000 visitors a day now. I've got email capture tools on it, and am building up that list while potentially preparing to sell a product in 2018.

What's the number for this? I'm not sure. I'd say once you start hitting 500 or so visitors a day, you might be on to something. Clearly you can draw the reasonable conclusion that people are hungry for the information you're providing. Perhaps there's a potential to move into bigger things with that site.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

It was harder than I thought to write this in a somewhat brief and informative manner. I tried to give some good insights and introduction into this method without going too technical - I could probably write a book about that. Again, this post is about a very introductory level about this stuff. My goal is to be completely transparent, so if you feel there are parts that are missing, please do ask questions and I'll elaborate. Some of the videos in my signature will give you a further understanding of this, but hopefully this post gives you a good jumping-off point.

To be clear, there are definitely people doing this on a much higher level than me, and one could argue they do so with questionable ethics. While I do have some experience with this higher-technical-level stuff, it's not something that I'd recommend starting with. Much of it still goes over my head.

Can you become a millionaire from these sites? I don't think so. But, again - they do have re-sale value, and are an asset. And certainly, most people wouldn't scoff at making a few extra thousand bucks of mostly passive income. There is also a ton of value in the learning that you'll do with this method (web design, copywriting, selling, how to look at data) that will absolutely build skills that you can apply to other areas of life, whether it be online or offline business.

My simple goal when I built these sites was to build some small income streams that I could fall back on, in case my main site flopped. Fortunately that wasn't the case, but I've now also recognized the power of having multiple streams of income, and now I've got it so systematic that the system of building these is almost passive and only costs me a few hundred bucks and a few hours of time a month.

Good luck!

I have already read something about affiliate from you before. This is perfect datasheet and conclusion. Thank you.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Quote: (10-26-2017 02:49 PM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  

I have already read something about affiliate from you before. This is perfect datasheet and conclusion. Thank you.

Thanks man.

Great datasheet, expected nothing less from you [Image: wink.gif] where would you say a niche site ends and an authority site starts? Depending on the size of your target market?

Btw if you plan to take your Ukraine site further soon, we should probably get in touch. There should be some overlap even though mine's not ranking as well just yet.

Quote: (10-27-2017 08:09 AM)icrus Wrote:  

Great datasheet, expected nothing less from you [Image: wink.gif] where would you say a niche site ends and an authority site starts? Depending on the size of your target market?

Btw if you plan to take your Ukraine site further soon, we should probably get in touch. There should be some overlap even though mine's not ranking as well just yet.

Probably if you're getting a few hundred hits a day you have the potential.

Manage to convert 3% of visitors to an email list, that's 5 or so a day. Over 100 a month. Certainly potential would be there to sell a product or something.

Any specific affiliate sites you recommend? I've looked at some and they have what seems like an application process where many expect you to be experienced.

Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote: (10-27-2017 07:48 PM)Running Turtles Wrote:  

Any specific affiliate sites you recommend? I've looked at some and they have what seems like an application process where many expect you to be experienced.

Send them an email, more often than not they'll approve you if you do so.

This is NOT true for bigger affiliate portals that run the accounts of bigger corporations (think TripAdvisor being on Commission Junction, for example).

I've been opening such sites over the past years.

Here in Germany the niche site thing has lost it attractiveness because, uh, there are a gazillion of them around and the competition has increasesd massively.
I mean you can obviously set up a new one, but unless it's for a key word that is totally new it won't rank well easily.
Launching just another review site won't cut it from my experience.

Therefore, in 2017 I'd advise to pick a newly developed, attractive niche. These can be recognized by
a) maximum number of advertisements in Google search (9 or 10 in desktop)
b) high CPC in Google adwords for keywords
c) weak competition (old phpbb forums or the like. no big players).

Also chances are another niche site won't just "earn money passively" like that. It needs to have a plan - what you mentioned with an affiliate programm (not amazon y the way, the payout is a joke, unless you link to your own product). A great affiliate are products from sites like e junkie - there you can find 30 - 60 %provision.

Another great idea would be to your own digital product, which is what I 've been doing in the last years, and use sites as generator for clicks on this product.
I've been doing well with e books on Amazon, that works somewhat.

May I'll write a data sheet in the next weeks, I mean I got the idea to do this from an old Matt Forney post - and the 800 -1200 I make per month are at least something.

@This is Trouble:
Thanks for the answer and the datasheet. It's sometimes hard to forget that submitting any application online is like standing in line outside a club - expensive and time-consuming for little reward.

@SSVLE:
Does being in Germany mean you write focus on the German market by writing in German? If you're able to sell a digital product, would it make sense to employ affiliate marketers through Commission Junction or ClickBank in order to make the income stream almost completely passive?

Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Have met guys who have done this....

You're not going to make real money for the first 1-3 years (at least enough to support yourself) as it grows.

Some sites just boom and some just stagnate and don't get very far.

It’s all in the method.

Be more specific. Making a statement like that helps nobody.

“Met guys who have done this?”

How much did they post? What tools did they use? How good of a writer were they?

Quote: (10-28-2017 02:40 PM)qwertyuiop Wrote:  

You're not going to make real money for the first 1-3 years (at least enough to support yourself) as it grows.

Yeah, you really read like an expert on the matter.

Tell us more about what you've heard.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Great post, +1.

I've done a few niche sites in my time and some of them made decent money.

One was a ClickBank affiliate site that reviewed online singing courses. That one did about $500/mo.

Another one was an Amazon affiliate site that reviewed gaming headsets, which is a niche with an insane amount of buyer-focused long tail keywords.

They both got slapped by Google and lost all their income. The Amazon site got slapped with a manual review from Google. If you get one of those, good luck, your site is toast. I spent a ton of time writing articles myself and they were good quality articles and Google just pulled the plug.

So at that point I pretty much decided not to rely on an SEO only business model. So while I think niche sites are cool, you've got to realize that SEO changes pretty much monthly, and the tactics you used to rank for keywords can all of a sudden get your site deindexed, and all of your income can disappear overnight.

That being said, I still think it's a great business model if you play it smart.

Any specific keyword tool you prefer to do your research?

Great post, thanks.

Quote: (10-26-2017 05:34 AM)This Is Trouble Wrote:  

For example, on the Speaking Abroad website, you'll notice the most recent post is an absolutely terrible post about whether or not a Russian girl loves you. Some foreign bride agency paid me $100 to run that post (they bought 4 other slots on my other sites, too).

Just curious why you accepted a spammy post?

If your site ever gets manually reviewed by Google you could get a penalty or de-indexed due to this. Not close to being worth the risk for $100 IMHO, if the Speaking Abroad site is making $200 p/m

Quote: (10-28-2017 05:02 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

I guess,

Maybe I have my own?

Either way I wouldn't give out any info on a public forum.

Excellent data sheet.

I want to add on to this: The most difficult part is writing.

"I don't like writing. What do I do?"
The most difficult part is writing. You should try to sit down and do a little bit each day. Try to tell stories about your personal life and then tie them into the theme of your site, or whatever it is that you are selling. They are far, far easier to write than trying just to pound out generic product reviews or speculation.

Read Ben Settle if you need some tips on how to do this properly.

Again, you must pick something that, starting out, you can at least tolerate. Don't try to pick a subject you know nothing about or have no interest in. At the same time, don't copy everything I've done exactly. Only I can be Kyle. You have to be you, or else it just won't work. I know that sounds incredibly cliche, but it's also incredibly true. Find your own voice, or...

It doesn't matter who you are or which niche you want to get into, having good writing skills will take your business from A to B faster then anything else.

I've been at this internet thing for a while but it didn't start clicking until a few months ago, when I started writing constantly. I did engineering in college so of course, writing is not my strong suit, but I was determined to improve. Every good writer I spoke with suggested the same remedy to bad writing: more writing (thanks WIA).

So I started writing a fuck ton, for practice. Hell the other night I zoned out and wrote 1800 words about NoFap.

Anything you write counts as practice. This forum post counts. Longform Facebook posts, FB group value posts, and even emails count.

Now, I use emails and Facebook as my writing practice AND lead maturation tactics.

Having an email list is crucial, especially if you're YOU'RE the face of the brand. You have to keep them warmed up and interested in what you have to offer.

Once you have a list, email them constantly. "Gurus" will argue over how much, but 3 times a week is a good starting point. Ben Settle (who I love) emails at least once a day. Remember this writing is also sharpening your writing blade, so do it often.

"Uh redbeard, what am I going to write about everyday?"

When you start out, just write about something. Even better, write about nothing. Focus on quantity over quality.

It's just like approaching girls. A shitty approach is better then no approach. As long as you write, you're improving your skills and keeping in touch with your list.

A tactic this forum will like is Russell Brunson's "Daily Seinfeld Emails" script. In DotComSecrets, he talks about how the introduction to Seinfeld inspires his email content. You guys know what I'm talking about...

"What's the deal with airport security?"

The technique is to treat your emails like something Seinfeld would talk about. Just banter about what's going on in your life, but somehow tie it back into the topic of the blog.

For example, with OP's Ukraine blog, he could talk about this interesting coffee place he went to, or something that got lost in translation from Ukrainian to English.

Here's an illustration from the book:

[Image: daily-seinfeld-emails.jpg]

All you have to do is pick a topic and run with it.

Something I've been doing for a Facebook group I run is to do this every morning:

1. Read a book
2. Decide my biggest lesson from today's reading
3. Take that lesson, put my spin on it, and write 300-400 words about it to post in the group.

It provides great value to the group, writing practice to me, and keeps me accountable for reading.

You could do the same thing with any niche or authority site. For example on a pickup blog, you could write about yesterday's approaches, or something going on with your relationships, Carrie Bradshaw style.

If you're a shitty writer, you have all the tools in front of you to improve.

The rest is up to you...

Quote: (10-28-2017 11:08 PM)qwertyuiop Wrote:  

Quote: (10-28-2017 05:02 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

I guess,

Maybe I have my own?

Either way I wouldn't give out any info on a public forum.

Doubt it. If you don't have anything helpful to add other than speculative pessimism, don't pollute the thread.

Quote: (10-28-2017 10:50 PM)slowpoke Wrote:  

Great post, thanks.

For example, on the Speaking Abroad website, you'll notice the most recent post is an absolutely terrible post about whether or not a Russian girl loves you. Some foreign bride agency paid me $100 to run that post (they bought 4 other slots on my other sites, too).

Just curious why you accepted a spammy post?

If your site ever gets manually reviewed by Google you could get a penalty or de-indexed due to this. Not close to being worth the risk for $100 IMHO, if the Speaking Abroad site is making $200 p/m

Not too concerned. It's relevant to the topic, has only one outbound link (not even that bad), and didn't concern me too much.

Quality content always wins out in the end.

Quote: (10-28-2017 07:04 PM)VincentVinturi Wrote:  

Great post, +1.

I've done a few niche sites in my time and some of them made decent money.

One was a ClickBank affiliate site that reviewed online singing courses. That one did about $500/mo.

Another one was an Amazon affiliate site that reviewed gaming headsets, which is a niche with an insane amount of buyer-focused long tail keywords.

They both got slapped by Google and lost all their income. The Amazon site got slapped with a manual review from Google. If you get one of those, good luck, your site is toast. I spent a ton of time writing articles myself and they were good quality articles and Google just pulled the plug.

So at that point I pretty much decided not to rely on an SEO only business model. So while I think niche sites are cool, you've got to realize that SEO changes pretty much monthly, and the tactics you used to rank for keywords can all of a sudden get your site deindexed, and all of your income can disappear overnight.

That being said, I still think it's a great business model if you play it smart.

This is a great note, but I'd also add: QUALITY, consistent content usually wins out in the end.

But yes, SEO is why you also must have other avenues. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

If you start out and have terrible writing skills, no computer experience, don't know what a podcast is, and don't take action, of course it'll take 1-3 years to get rolling.

I found myself in that pool my first year. Didn't do anything meaningful, and didn't work to improve my writing.

The most important thing is to keep going and going.

MikeCF is a classic example. People want to claim he was an overnight success, but many forget:

-Years writing on forums like this
-Years of Crime & Federalism blog
-Years of Danger & Play being a small .wordpress.com blog

It took a bunch of work to get things to "click."

Quote: (10-29-2017 12:17 PM)redbeard Wrote:  

If you start out and have terrible writing skills, no computer experience, don't know what a podcast is, and don't take action, of course it'll take 1-3 years to get rolling.

I found myself in that pool my first year. Didn't do anything meaningful, and didn't work to improve my writing.

The most important thing is to keep going and going.

MikeCF is a classic example. People want to claim he was an overnight success, but many forget:

-Years writing on forums like this
-Years of Crime & Federalism blog
-Years of Danger & Play being a small .wordpress.com blog

It took a bunch of work to get things to "click."

I got attacked so I wasn't going to keep posting --- however.

I happen to have hung out with an acquaintance, and still keep in contact who lives in a high rise, tier 1 city, baller lifestyle from something similar to this.

Hence where I got the 1-3 year timeframe from. I also run my own site on the side and it makes a bit of money... growing rapidly tho.

There's also a ton of information on Authority Hacker, /r/juststart, and other resources if you are attempting to go down that route. Year 1 you're figuring out what works, establishing your site, and trying to get it to grow.

Treat it as a real biz make money. Treat it as a hobby maybe make enough $$$ for Starbucks every month.

Just so I'm clear, in the age of AdBlock software is it possible to make money just from having people visit a site or does the site have to act as a portal for some other product that's for sale?

^ they’re over.

You need minimum 100k visits a month to maybe make a few bucks.

One of my sites was averaging 300/day and made about $0.50 a day from it.

Quote: (10-29-2017 04:11 PM)This Is Trouble Wrote:  

^ they’re over.

You need minimum 100k visits a month to maybe make a few bucks.

One of my sites was averaging 300/day and made about $0.50 a day from it.

Check out Steemit

I'd say in order of priority (from lowest to highest)

3. Adsense
2. Affiliate sales
1. Own product sales