rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Relocating to set up roots

I am 25 years old now, native Brit with a location independent skill set that means I can make about £30-50K in most parts of the world. It is a consultancy based security work to do with finances. I do not want to go further into it, as this is a public forum but just to give you an idea. I speak intermediate Russian as well if that matters.

I want to leave London due to a few reasons. Politics, the analogy of the frog in slow boiling water, comes into mind. Yes the city will be a financial hub for some years to come but I have been seeing the cracks emerge for some time now.

Secondly, finances; yes technically I can make some good money in this city but with the cost of living. I could envision myself being a slave if I was to set up a family and get a mortgage here.

Thirdly, culture and women, I believe the two go hand in hand mostly. It is unavoidable. If you are not staunchly left wing in this city, you will find yourself feeling like a black sheep. Yes it is true that there are a lot of good foreign women knocking about in the centre of the city but I still find the quality of girls to be far better overseas.

So I have two options

1. Leave next summer, with limited qualifications, I am thinking EE or SEA, potentially China. I lived there before so I know the pitfalls. However I get to enjoy the freedom.

2. Leave in a couple of years time. Knuckle down on my fitness and self improvement, develop more qualifications and skill sets and take it for what it is. And aim to expatriate when I am 27 years old.

A big part of this, has to do with setting up roots as well. I am between a rock and a hard place because I am a patriotic Brit. However my community in London that I have grown up in, has completely transformed. It is now full of low income ghetto housing and self absorbed yuppies.

I am aware that it is different up North, but I do enjoy the expatriate lifestyle and I actually reckon it would feel the same as migrating to a different country; being an obnoxious Londoner born and raised.

Any opinions or comments welcomed.

This is something I've been considering myself and I'm in the exact same position as you but a couple of years older.

I'm in the wait and see camp. There are places that I think would be good to buy land and make a solid rural family life such as New Zealand/Argentina/Hungary/Poland.

However I think it's too early to tell where this social rot will penetrate with signs it's reaching the most conservative parts of the world even. So I favour an investment portfolio that keeps you flexible.

I have the bulk of my investments in the UK for now but looking to invest more overseas when the sterling recovers.

Many rate Russia as a destination but I think inequality, islam and the weather are major downsides. NZ, Argentina and Hungary have excellent weather half the year.

I found thread very interesting.

What do you exactly mean by setting up roots?
I think that the roots include...

1 marriage
2 social circles
3 work which you cannot do in your country

I know 3 isn't the case for you, because you have a location independent type of job.
Then, how about choosing a country based on the people (or the general personality traits)?

In my case, I've been in Australia for more than 4 years, but honestly I haven't develop roots here, at least by the definition I mentioned above (i.e. I don't have many good friends and I'm still single).
As my current visa is going to expire in the next year, I'm thinking about moving to another country, because nothing strongly ties me to Australia.
(I don't mean to offend Australian forum members... Australia is a very rich and comfortable place)

If you want to save money, then SEA or China would be better.
However, in my view, just saving money won't help you develop roots.
Also, being surrounded by exotic scenery won't help you develop roots either, since you'll eventually get used to it.

You speak Russian, so how about trying somewhere in EE or even FSU (including Central Asia, such as Kazakhstan)?

PS.
Let me know if there is anything which can be seen as a "root"

Quote: (10-04-2017 04:50 PM)Constitution45 Wrote:  

I am 25 years old now, native Brit with a location independent skill set that means I can make about £30-50K in most parts of the world. It is a consultancy based security work to do with finances. I do not want to go further into it, as this is a public forum but just to give you an idea. I speak intermediate Russian as well if that matters.

I want to leave London due to a few reasons. Politics, the analogy of the frog in slow boiling water, comes into mind. Yes the city will be a financial hub for some years to come but I have been seeing the cracks emerge for some time now.

Secondly, finances; yes technically I can make some good money in this city but with the cost of living. I could envision myself being a slave if I was to set up a family and get a mortgage here.

Thirdly, culture and women, I believe the two go hand in hand mostly. It is unavoidable. If you are not staunchly left wing in this city, you will find yourself feeling like a black sheep. Yes it is true that there are a lot of good foreign women knocking about in the centre of the city but I still find the quality of girls to be far better overseas.

So I have two options

1. Leave next summer, with limited qualifications, I am thinking EE or SEA, potentially China. I lived there before so I know the pitfalls. However I get to enjoy the freedom.

2. Leave in a couple of years time. Knuckle down on my fitness and self improvement, develop more qualifications and skill sets and take it for what it is. And aim to expatriate when I am 27 years old.

A big part of this, has to do with setting up roots as well. I am between a rock and a hard place because I am a patriotic Brit. However my community in London that I have grown up in, has completely transformed. It is now full of low income ghetto housing and self absorbed yuppies.

I am aware that it is different up North, but I do enjoy the expatriate lifestyle and I actually reckon it would feel the same as migrating to a different country; being an obnoxious Londoner born and raised.

If you can stay for a few more years and get more certs to make more i'd do that. Otherwise I would go travel if you're going to make 30-50k either way.

Quote: (10-04-2017 05:27 PM)ProGambler Wrote:  

There are places that I think would be good to buy land and make a solid rural family life such as New Zealand/Argentina/Hungary/Poland.

I do like your list of good, preserved countries, to set roots in (as a reasonably wealthy Westerner). I would add, Bulgaria-Rumania and Chile-Uruguay.

Quote: (10-09-2017 06:55 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

There are places that I think would be good to buy land and make a solid rural family life such as New Zealand/Argentina/Hungary/Poland.

I do like your list of good, preserved countries, to set roots in (as a reasonably wealthy Westerner). I would add, Bulgaria-Rumania and Chile-Uruguay.

I've been thinking of eventually moving to Chile after finding my fortune. Party in Santiago for a bit before settling in a small village by the sea somewhere.

YoungBlade's HEMA Datasheet
Tabletop Role-playing Games
Barefoot walking (earthing) datasheet
Occult/Wicca/Pagan Girls Datasheet

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
you will die the same way.
I know only one thing
that never dies:
the reputation of the one who's died.

Quote: (10-10-2017 06:41 AM)YoungBlade Wrote:  

Quote: (10-09-2017 06:55 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

I've been thinking of eventually moving to Chile after finding my fortune. Party in Santiago for a bit before settling in a small village by the sea somewhere.

Why not a small, safe city with the nice, clean feel of a village: Valdivia. Some of the best-looking women of Chile live there, by the way...

Only problem with Chile is the risk of earthquakes, like, a big one (plus tsunami) occurring every other decade maybe... also, not that much variety regarding the looks of local chicks, but at least they are uncomplicated, friendly.

The problem with choosing a place to live is that no matter how much research you do before you arrive, many places will never feel like home.

It's hard to follow through with growing roots in a locale if it doesn't feel like home.

Thus, it is easy to become the man who forever wanders.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (10-04-2017 04:50 PM)Constitution45 Wrote:  

So I have two options

I'm British too. In the past, London would be the natural place for me, in some ways. I'm involved in trade and finance.
But like you, I am disillusioned with various things about England, and especially London. I hate the corrupt croneyism of the so called "class system". But I'd also hate to have kids who are exposed to the brainwashing of all this homosexualism/over globalism/radical Islam and all that nonsense. I think the flow and effect of cheap wage migrants to Britain will get worse, despite "Brexit". I turn on the news with its all immigrant, or homosexual, or Eton educated newsreaders/read a newspaper and think "Fuck, is this the place I grew up in". Strangely, I read Russian newspapers and feel quite excited/interested about a "new" yet ancient country ie Russia developing. (Its a little bit like Schwartzenegger in Total Recall when he decides he wants to move to Mars!! hahaha).

Really, I'm considering a European timezone, but possibly Far Eastern too, in the more distant future.

My shortlist is likely to be Russia (St P, Moscow and Sochi). Also Spain, Southern France and maybe a few Southern Slavic places. One big factor will be if I'm settled down or not. I mean, places like Switzerland and France could be interesting for someone settled down, but not so much for someone who isn't.

Have you thought about St Petersburg and then moving to say Sochi or the Mediterranean/similar in Winter?
Maybe parts of Bulgaria or Budapest, the Baltics or Croatia? Maybe the Crimea?

I don't think the cold of Central/Northern Russia is that bad. I mean England's dampness is pretty bad.

I'm really keen to set up roots in somewhere like Russia. Partly because I had Russian grandparents. Ofcourse its potentially a little daunting. But there are others like me. Western born, Native English speakers. And nowadays with the internet, its easier to find like minded people.
Ultimately, I think the quality/strength of the social circle you develop will dictate whether or not you eventually call a new place your home.

Quote: (10-10-2017 01:12 PM)Suits Wrote:  

The problem with choosing a place to live is that no matter how much research you do before you arrive, many places will never feel like home.

It's hard to follow through with growing roots in a locale if it doesn't feel like home.

That's where ethnicity, religion and historic facts, enter into play: for example, as a Euro-descendant (meaning, a White or "White-Latino" dude), and a Christian (or Jew), you can grow roots and feel at home in Argentina (or Uruguay, possibly Chile), a country essentially made up of immigrants like yourself... Same with FSU countries if you speak Russian and convert to Orthodox Christianity. But apart from these cases, I don't see other possibilities.

Quote: (10-10-2017 05:59 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

Quote: (10-10-2017 01:12 PM)Suits Wrote:  

That's where ethnicity, religion and historic facts, enter into play: for example, as a Euro-descendant (meaning, a White or "White-Latino" dude), and a Christian (or Jew), you can grow roots and feel at home in Argentina (or Uruguay, possibly Chile), a country essentially made up of immigrants like yourself... Same with FSU countries if you speak Russian and convert to Orthodox Christianity. But apart from these cases, I don't see other possibilities.

That's like saying that all black people interested in settling down should look no further than Africa.

The city where I feel most at home is Hong Kong, even though I'm a member of an Asian ethnicity. The only reason I haven't moved there is because the economic possibilities are not so fabulous. I also found Malaysia very relatable when I visited for a month earlier this year and given that ethnic variety there (with three major ethnic groups), it's hard to argue that being a minority would be such a terrible fate.

It's certainly true that one should only seriously consider places where legitimately immigrating and gaining citizenship (or at a minimum, permanent residency) is a reasonably possibility. Hard to put down roots in a place where you are always living visa to visa with no guarantee that you'll be able to continue to live there in the future if the situation in that country changes.

However, while one can certainly see that advantages of being somewhere that you are not a highly visible minority, there is much more to consider than that. Some people even prefer to be somewhere that they aren't a member of the majority group (assuming that it's also a place where visible minorities aren't treated like circus freaks).

I'm the King of Beijing!

@ YMD I determine roots as being a place that you can raise a family in.

Social circles are never an issue, in London or anywhere else for that matter.

Point is, it is a big world out there,

@Bellytiger.

I was an expat in Moscow, good city for expats, totally recommend it if you are willing to adapt and learn the language.
And yes I don't recommend London for more than a few years the most. Especially if you are the type that uses this forum. It is only because of circumstances around my career that has led to me living and working here.

The East definitely has a buzz to it, I think it goes hand in hand with being oblivously content about political issues happening in that part of the world.

I would check out the baltic countries like estonia, latvia, lithuania if you like blonde women. Estonia strikes me as a good for entrepreneurs, and your russian language skills might be valued there.

In fact, with your skills, I would try to create a sideline where you subcontract out russian coders. You charge western rates but your labor is much lower

China is definitely out, expensive and the women suck there too.

Since you speak intermediate Russian, I would consider Ukraine (cheap) or Russia.

The only downside that you might want consider is Visa issues, how are you going to get around that in certain countries.

Quote: (10-14-2017 08:12 AM)peterfoo22 Wrote:  

China is definitely out, expensive and the women suck there too.

Since you speak intermediate Russian, I would consider Ukraine (cheap) or Russia.

The only downside that you might want consider is Visa issues, how are you going to be able to live in these countries and for how long.

Quote: (10-14-2017 06:54 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

I would check out the baltic countries like estonia, latvia, lithuania if you like blonde women. Estonia strikes me as a good for entrepreneurs, and your russian language skills might be valued there.

In fact, with your skills, I would try to create a sideline where you subcontract out russian coders. You charge western rates but your labor is much lower

Yep definitely I will check it out. I considered the EE states such as Estonia, Latvia etc, I received mixed reviews on these places.

There is a lot of potential out there needless to say.