rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Barefoot walking (earthing) datasheet

What is earthing?

The idea behind earthing is humans are too disconnected from the planet's natural magnetic fields, either from walking barefoot only indoors, or wearing the insulating rubber soles of shoes when hiking or walking outdoors. The various atomic particles (namely electrons) present in the ground cannot make their way into your body, which (it is believed) has a detrimental effect on your health. When you walk barefoot on the ground, these particles make their way up into your body, giving you more energy and refreshing your own biomagnetic field. Another benefit is increased vitamin D, which Roosh has covered before, due to being out in the sun more.

How to start earthing

Obviously, not everyone lives in the countryside, and most of us have softer feet from keeping them cradled in socks and shoes and washing them regularly. The best way is to start off easy. A level path, not too long, on a surface not too riddled with sticks, stones, roots, or other initally painful objects. Some may find an asphalt road or sidewalk to be the easiest starting point. Once you can walk a mile on such a surface, then you can move to harder areas, such as forest floors, open fields, or even bare rock.

Optimal earthing

Obviously, there are better times to go earthing than others. Personally, just before or after dawn has been the best time for me, and right after a lifting session. I usually take it a step further by wearing essentially a loincloth, a loose, comfortable pair of cotton shorts. Thus, even in the relative cold here in the Appalachians in January, I feel comfortable walking a few miles in next to nothing. In the intense heat of the summer, crossing over asphalt is tricky, but possible with quick, strong steps, heel to toe.

Negatives

If you're the kind of man who is concerned with minor aesthetic features, then a fair warning, you WILL get callouses. These can be hidden with lotion, smoothing out the callouses without getting rid of them to keep your feet tough for earthing. In addition, your calves will burn like hell the first few times you try it. Eventually, it becomes very,very comfortable, more so than walking in shoes on a track or treadmill. And of course, you will get the occasional thorn in your foot, rock between your toes, and other minor pains. These pass as you get better.

Positives

Your legs will look phenomenal. After a year of earthing, my legs looked better (keep in mind I kept a regular leg workout regimen focusing on squats and deadlifts) than they did when I did hard running of at least three miles a day. In addition, there is definitely an increase in overall mood and mental state. I feel energized without bouncing off the walls, and relaxed without feeling lazy after I walk barefoot a few miles. There have also been studies suggesting it leads to better sleep.

Where to next?

Up to you! Try walking barefoot in more challenging environments, such as the first snow of winter in your area, or a hike up a mountain with thin and steep trails. You'll be a hobbit in no time!

[Image: funny-Hobbit-shoes-Bilbo-walking.jpg]

Credits where credit is due:
http://derekthewolf.com/reduce-stress-wa...-earthing/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/
https://infogalactic.com/info/Biomagnetism
http://www.rooshv.com/you-are-most-certa...-vitamin-d

YoungBlade's HEMA Datasheet
Tabletop Role-playing Games
Occult/Wicca/Pagan Girls Datasheet

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
you will die the same way.
I know only one thing
that never dies:
the reputation of the one who's died.

Another negative is if you have tight calfs. Your using a great range of motion than with shoes with a heel lift. I managed to get a nasty injury from it without taking that into account.

Good topic - the science is there, I was introduced to the topic by Dr. Gaetan Chevalier, a scientist who has studied the physics of earthing. To correct some errors in your post:

Asphalt is insulating, not conductive. Same with wood. Concrete and bare earth are conductive, as is water (and salt water especially). Walking at the beach for 15-20 minutes partially in the surf or subsiding waves is an excellent way to get abundant electrons both through the air and the sand/water. I also wanted to add that wearing conductive 'earthing' sandals let you get the benefits of electron 'ingestion' without worrying about surface cleanliness, cutting your feet with glass / screws / etc.

Sleeping with an earthing pad or sheet is also a great way to get extended benefits throughout the night time. Cleaning the sheets can be a little tricky and I've gravitated more toward using a mouse pad earthing mat, or one under my feet when I'm working, than having earthing sheet. The half way that covers the lower part of the bed works well, and also an earthing strap to go around the wrist is excellent. For those who are dealing with arthritis or localized aches, there is IR thermography demonstrating the reduction in temperature (reduced inflammation) with applying a grounded strap to a particular body part.

You don't have to walk around and get callouses or poked in the foot if that makes someone uncomfortable. I do like toughening my feet up with barefoot walking on challenging surfaces so we're in alignment there. Just standing in contact with grass, bare earth, or concrete will draw electrons into your body. You can combine this with meditation or breathwork at the same time. Earthing is important especially after a workout - I've noted a day or two reduced recovery times and much less soreness.

A FAQ which includes recommendations re: currently prescribed medications and interactions:

Quote:Quote:

MEDICATION ADVISORY

Research indicates that Earthing the body affects physiological functioning in a variety of ways. Because of this, we strongly recommend that any individual taking medication to thin the blood, regulate blood sugar, control blood pressure, or to supplement thyroid activity should consult with their doctor before using Earthing products, and then monitor the medication. An adjustment in medication may be necessary

https://www.earthing.com/faq/

And basics of earthing:

https://www.earthing.com/earthing-basics/

An inspiring video on the topic is called 'Grounded' (will not embed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8b_lg2z8Nc

and a very good talk on the need for and benefits of earthing / grounding by Dr. Steven Sinatra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQBe4xZQndE

I would send the 'Grounded' video to anyone you know who is suffering from a chronic disease. It's truly amazing how people have regained functioned and gone off medicines just with this one technique. I would include proper nutritional supplementation and quality food as adjunct treatments.

Thanks Truth Tiger! I never did much research on it. I read a couple articles and just started walking, and felt the benefits. Figured a year was enough to share my experiences with the forum.

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
I know only one thing
that never dies:

I enjoy walking barefoot on beaches...

But I saw this dude proudly stomping down the sidewalk in Bangkok barefoot. So disgusting.
Walking barefoot around dog shit, leaking garbage, puddles from rooftops dippings, broken glass, etc.
His clothes didn't look dirty and he didn't look like his Jordan's got jack'd.

What the fuck? This was not the first time I saw a foreigner walking barefoot in Bangkok.

Remember after walking in Sandals three months in SEA I noticed that I got extra tough dead skin on my feet, I guess the same think happens when you walk barefoot for some time. I could burn that skin with a lighter and did not feel anything. That's possibly the trick that the Indian guys use when walking on the burning coal.

^right now I'm two months into my winter hiatus and from the swimming and beach walking, my gnarly clauses from my work-boots are gone.

I have always want to step-up my work-boot game and get some custom made RED WING work-boots.

Do you guys wear socks for rough terrain? I watched a news report of a runner who did this and he wore socks a lot especially in colder temperatures.

Quote: (01-12-2017 05:38 PM)Jack Of All Trades Wrote:  

Do you guys wear socks for rough terrain? I watched a news report of a runner who did this and he wore socks a lot especially in colder temperatures.

I, personally, do not.

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
I know only one thing
that never dies:

how long did it take you to get to that level?

Quote: (01-12-2017 05:50 PM)Jack Of All Trades Wrote:  

how long did it take you to get to that level?

About a year. It's still rough as I have high arches which don't get calloused, so a large pebble or a knotty root can still give me pain, but they have strengthened and it hurts less now.

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
I know only one thing
that never dies:

Quote: (01-11-2017 03:21 PM)Truth Tiger Wrote:  

Good topic - the science is there, I was introduced to the topic by Dr. Gaetan Chevalier, a scientist who has studied the physics of earthing. To correct some errors in your post:

Asphalt is insulating, not conductive. Same with wood. Concrete and bare earth are conductive, as is water (and salt water especially). Walking at the beach for 15-20 minutes partially in the surf or subsiding waves is an excellent way to get abundant electrons both through the air and the sand/water. I also wanted to add that wearing conductive 'earthing' sandals let you get the benefits of electron 'ingestion' without worrying about surface cleanliness, cutting your feet with glass / screws / etc.

Sleeping with an earthing pad or sheet is also a great way to get extended benefits throughout the night time. Cleaning the sheets can be a little tricky and I've gravitated more toward using a mouse pad earthing mat, or one under my feet when I'm working, than having earthing sheet. The half way that covers the lower part of the bed works well, and also an earthing strap to go around the wrist is excellent. For those who are dealing with arthritis or localized aches, there is IR thermography demonstrating the reduction in temperature (reduced inflammation) with applying a grounded strap to a particular body part.

You don't have to walk around and get callouses or poked in the foot if that makes someone uncomfortable. I do like toughening my feet up with barefoot walking on challenging surfaces so we're in alignment there. Just standing in contact with grass, bare earth, or concrete will draw electrons into your body. You can combine this with meditation or breathwork at the same time. Earthing is important especially after a workout - I've noted a day or two reduced recovery times and much less soreness.

A FAQ which includes recommendations re: currently prescribed medications and interactions:

MEDICATION ADVISORY

Research indicates that Earthing the body affects physiological functioning in a variety of ways. Because of this, we strongly recommend that any individual taking medication to thin the blood, regulate blood sugar, control blood pressure, or to supplement thyroid activity should consult with their doctor before using Earthing products, and then monitor the medication. An adjustment in medication may be necessary

https://www.earthing.com/faq/

And basics of earthing:

https://www.earthing.com/earthing-basics/

An inspiring video on the topic is called 'Grounded' (will not embed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8b_lg2z8Nc

and a very good talk on the need for and benefits of earthing / grounding by Dr. Steven Sinatra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQBe4xZQndE

I would send the 'Grounded' video to anyone you know who is suffering from a chronic disease. It's truly amazing how people have regained functioned and gone off medicines just with this one technique. I would include proper nutritional supplementation and quality food as adjunct treatments.

I'm somewhat skeptical of this. Those links you posted are from a company who want to sell you 'earthing accessories'. Wikipedia doesn't have much to say on it either:

Quote:Wikipedia Wrote:

Within the sphere of fringe science, earthing or grounding is a practice which proponents claim provides an array of health benefits.[1] The therapy involves being in direct physical contact with the ground or with a device connected to electrical ground.[2][3]

Robert Lahita, a rheumatologist and microbiologist, calls the claims of health benefits "really wacky. I don't even hesitate to say that's really crazy."[4] Some of the proponents also appear to have a substantial commercial interest in the therapy.[5]

Also, how is asphalt an insulator but concrete not? Both are essentially bound aggregate. If asphalt was an insulator, then the grounding chains used to prevent sparks upon fuel tankers would serve no purpose.

I'd appreciate it if someone with a physics background could weigh in here.

I do love walking barefoot in a meadow in summer though. Followed by bending a buxom lass over a hay bale [Image: angel.gif]

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

I heard about this some time ago and between time's I've lived near and far from places I could routinely walk on the beach I think there's definitely something to it.

I also know that some people secure grounded copper wires to their feet as they sleep to get the same effect though I can't speak as to the effectiveness of that.

In any case, while the effect was positive I don't know that it would be worth anyone seriously altering their lifestyle to fit it in. Worth doing if it's no trouble (walking barefoot at the beach when you would normally wear shoes) but otherwise it might not be worth altering your schedule to fit in.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

I can't believe this is what you guys think helps you.

Yeah it feels great to walk barefoot, but going so far as to think there is some kind of electron thing going on??

Kinda ridiculous.

Have you tried it? Have you watched the videos or read any of the links? Dismissing something out of turn without investigation is 'kinda ridiculous.'

Here's a scientific paper on the subject - tell me what you find ridiculous about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/

I still think socks are must until you get enough calluses and you get used to going barefoot, at least in the beginning.

I'm somewhat skeptical of this. Those links you posted are from a company who want to sell you 'earthing accessories'. Wikipedia doesn't have much to say on it either: (snipped)

Skepticism is welcome. However, are you attempting to deny research-based evidence? Do you really intend to use a minimal and clearly skewed / non-scientific Wikipedia entry as a valid criticism? Is that the extent of the research you've done on the subject? I've presented scientific papers with multiple citations by credible investigators. I never said you have to buy the products, clearly you can earth naturally although some products make it more user-friendly / cleaner / convenient. The argument I'm making is for the efficacy of earthing, not whether you have to send anyone money.

Also, how is asphalt an insulator but concrete not? Both are essentially bound aggregate. If asphalt was an insulator, then the grounding chains used to prevent sparks upon fuel tankers would serve no purpose.

All aggregates are NOT the same: composition is crucial. The actual electrical resistivity values vary as there are many types of asphalt concrete and cement concrete, however the differences still are up to 8 orders of magnitude (10^8). The petroleum products which make asphalt flexible also make it more insulating. Cement blends contain pulverized rock, sand, and limestone which are all conductive to varying degrees.

The ground chains are intended to discharge charge surplus on more conductive non-topped cement interstate and roadways.

Cement of various grades here (table on page 12):
https://web.archive.org/web/201603040930...tivity.pdf

and see table page 3: http://wings.buffalo.edu/academic/depart...erials.pdf
---
Asphalt or 'asphalt concrete' here:
From: http://blog.grantadesign.com/unappreciat...2/asphalt/

Asphalt concrete is bitumen (asphalt, often loosely called tar) mixed as a bonding agent with gravelly aggregate in the approximate ratio 1:18. Bitumen, a black, oily hydrocarbon, occurs naturally where oil seeps to the earth’s surface and loses its volatile components by evaporation, leaving a “tar lake”. Tar has been used for millennia to seal boats, reservoirs, and aqueducts, as a mortar, as an adhesive and even—despite its smell—as a cosmetic. At one time tar-lakes were the only source of bitumen but most now comes as a by-product of petroleum-refining.
Thermally[8], asphalt concrete is a poor insulator: the thermal conductivity is 1.4 to 1.8 W/m.K, the thermal diffusivity 0.44 to 0.64 x 10-6 m2/s, and the specific heat is 1500 to 1700 J/kg.K. It is an electrical insulator too, with a resistivity of 10^18 to 10^19 μΩ.cm, a dielectric constant in the range 2.5 to 3, and an electrical breakdown potential of order 20—30 MV/m.

I'd appreciate it if someone with a physics background could weigh in here.

Done, though the physics background isn't a requirement to comment cogently. Google provided the references.

I do love walking barefoot in a meadow in summer though. Followed by bending a buxom lass over a hay bale [Image: angel.gif]

That would be my preferred method of grounding and discharge as well!

A study, using 42 male student volunteers at a Polish university, on the benefits of reducing blood urea levels through earthing / grounding while exercising. For those who fret about conflicts of interest, none were indicated:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3771483/

Direct PDF link to this study (conducted in Poland): https://www.grounded.com/s/382643.pdf

2. Materials and Methods

Forty-two male volunteers were selected from a group of 60 students at the University of Physical Education and Sport in Gdansk, Poland. All of the participants were informed about details of the experiment and gave written consent. The ethics committee approved the investigation, which was conducted according to the principles expressed in the Declaration of Helsinki. Participants had no requirements or restrictions regarding their daily diet. Selection of the volunteers was based on an exertion test performed on a bicycle ergometer and on analysis of expired gases with the use of the Oxycon Pro analyzer (Jaeger, Wuerzburg, Germany)...

5. Conclusion

Our study shows that blood urea concentrations are lower in subjects who are earthed (connected to the earth potential with the use of copper wire) during physical exercise and recovery compared with the same subjects who are not earthed during the same period of exercise and recovery. These results suggest that earthing during exercise inhibits hepatic protein catabolism or increases renal urea excretion. Earthing during exercise affects protein metabolism, resulting in a positive nitrogen balance. This phenomenon has fundamental importance in understanding human metabolic processes and may have implications in training programs for athletes.

Quote: (01-13-2017 06:44 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

I heard about this some time ago and between time's I've lived near and far from places I could routinely walk on the beach I think there's definitely something to it.

I also know that some people secure grounded copper wires to their feet as they sleep to get the same effect though I can't speak as to the effectiveness of that.

In any case, while the effect was positive I don't know that it would be worth anyone seriously altering their lifestyle to fit it in. Worth doing if it's no trouble (walking barefoot at the beach when you would normally wear shoes) but otherwise it might not be worth altering your schedule to fit in.

The study I posted just above your comment used copper wires attached to research subjects to create the earthing / grounding connection, with statistically significant improvements in various blood method. I haven't tried being earthed while exercising but will keep it in mind.

It sounds like arguments made against exercising, saying 'working out might not be worth altering your schedule to fit in.' We know that's not true, and clearly the same applies to earthing. It's just a matter of how much one value's optimizing their health to include it in their daily rhythm. The research and my own experience show there are huge advantages in many areas that warrant making lifestyle changes to spend more time earthed. That's why I often use grounding mats or wrist straps when it's too cold / wet / inconvenient to go outside and ground directly.

This is a product I use and also one of my partner's father is now using to help recover from prostate cancer (along with intensive improvements in supplementation and dietary changes). He's 86 years old, watches TV earthed. I don't work for or own any part of this company, btw.

https://www.earthing.com/active-recovery...d-kit.html

Exercising while grounded with copper, you say?

Time to lift weights outside in full bronze plate, then!

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
I know only one thing
that never dies:

Quote: (01-13-2017 02:49 PM)Jack Of All Trades Wrote:  

I still think socks are must until you get enough calluses and you get used to going barefoot, at least in the beginning.

There are two separate points here:

First, if you want to toughen your feet up gradually, you can walk outside in socks instead of barefoot immediately. You can also pick surfaces that are less rocky to walk barefoot on. Or just stand in one spot barefoot for 10 min, get your earthing, then put your socks on and walk.

Second, if you walk in socks, you are not going to get the full benefit of direct skin-to-earth contact which earthing / grounding provides, unless you cut a hole in the sock near the ball or the heel, or use conductive socks.

Just wanted to separate the two behaviors of strengthening your feet in stages vs. getting free electrons through bare foot contact on earth.

A word of caution for anyone that wears orthotics or wears shoes with a high heel lift. Suddenly going from your shoes to barefoot can cause injury.

I wore orthotics all my life and caused cartilage damage to my knee over time. Then all it took was 5-10min of playing soccer on a beach barefoot and I had to get knee surgery.

If you want to transition from shoes to barefoot it can be slowly done. It took me 3 months to get off of orthotics and now I don't get foot pain anymore and can be barefoot.

'in the face of death.. everything is funny'

A very good point, Alche. Thank you.

I am interested in this topic and just started investigating.

Is the idea that you gain something from the earth, or you dissipate electro magnetic fields? Mercola seems to suggest the latter: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...etter.aspx

He also points out that the wiring in your house is the biggest culprit, and the headboard of your bed is probably pushed up within inches of the wiring in the wall.

So does one benefit most from reducing electro magnetic fields in ones' house via grounding, or by taking a daily barefoot walk? The former seems more pervasive and my intuition is to start there, maybe by moving my bed against the window where there is little or no wiring.

Quote: (05-16-2017 06:35 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

I am interested in this topic and just started investigating.

Is the idea that you gain something from the earth, or you dissipate electro magnetic fields?

My understanding is it is an exchange of electrons between you and the earth.

Quote: (05-16-2017 06:35 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

So does one benefit most from reducing electro magnetic fields in ones' house via grounding, or by taking a daily barefoot walk?

I think the daily walk helps more, though I've also heard that sleep in a north/south configuration is most beneficial.

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
I know only one thing
that never dies: