rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Alpha" film coming in 2018

I saw this today, the title caught my attention. It's set 20,000 years ago in Europe about a boy becoming a man. We'll see if it's any good.

That trailer indicates it's about the domestication of wolves more than anything.

I can almost guarantee two things:

1. There will be a badass female archer/ranger/scout probably living on the fringes of "society" who puts the lead to shame in some way.

2. The wolf will die because the most played out trope in Hollywood of ripping the hearts out of audiences through the death of a canine is still somehow readily accepted as an emotional plot device despite the "trend of original filmmaking" bucking conventional movie tropes.

I would like to see a horror movie or one where the lead is placed in harrowing situations with his one companion (a dog) throughout the movie and the dog actually live. That would be a fucking original script.

Looks good. My fave genre.

I wonder if it will be set near a bay.

Seeing the people and environment. It's Iraq or Kazakhstan 20.000 ago or something? For sure it's not Europa or maybe Europa 1000 years from now.

Quote: (07-20-2017 06:06 PM)la bodhisattva Wrote:  

1. There will be a badass female archer/ranger/scout probably living on the fringes of "society" who puts the lead to shame in some way.

2. The wolf will die because the most played out trope in Hollywood of ripping the hearts out of audiences through the death of a canine is still somehow readily accepted as an emotional plot device despite the "trend of original filmmaking" bucking conventional movie tropes.

I would like to see a horror movie or one where the lead is placed in harrowing situations with his one companion (a dog) throughout the movie and the dog actually live. That would be a fucking original script.

A Boy and his Dog. Apocalyptic sci fi thriller with some some horror elements where at the end, the guy has to choose between his scheming backstabbing girlfriend, or nursing his badly injured dog back to health by letting him eat her. He chose the dog. Starred a young Don Johnson of all people.

edit

A while back we had a conversation on this forum about what Trump would mean for entertainment, specifically if we'd see a revival of movies with badass masculine leads (the 1980s with Rambo, Terminator, Conan, etc).

From the promo, I don't see any obvious SJW messaging. No female lead, no diversity.

It is possible the movie studios are finally starting to notice that their entire Ghostbusters with women trope doesn't sell at all. This movie may just be an indication of the wind finally starting to blow the other way.

Will need to wait and see what the movie is actually like though.

Not happening. - redbeard in regards to ETH flippening BTC

Quote: (07-20-2017 06:17 PM)Uruz Wrote:  

Seeing the people and environment. It's Iraq or Kazakhstan 20.000 ago or something? For sure it's not Europa or maybe Europa 1000 years from now.

That's certainly possible. The wiki page says this:

After a hunting expedition 20,000 years ago in Europe during the Upper Paleolithic period goes awry, a young caveman struggles against the elements to find his way home all the while developing a friendship with a wolf.

Didn't Europe have much a different climate 20,000 years ago?

Good call. Watch the video at time 2:20. That looks like a very Middle Eastern looking young girl screaming about to shoot an arrow!

I'm very interested in human prehistory. I've been reading a lot about it in just the last few days.

I've previously learned that Neolithic man (still stone age, but after the development of agriculture) was highly developed. They lived in comfortable houses in nice villages and towns, and even though they only had non-metallic tools, they had a very versatile set of tools, pottery, clothing, etc. This Neolithic culture started in the fertile crescent, and spread into Europe, India, China, and Africa fairly quickly. All of this started about 10-12,000 years ago. The early Indus and Sumerian civilizations actually developed large cities in the stone age, before the start of the bronze age.

What I've been learning just recently is that various well developed cultures existed long before the development of agriculture. In fact, it was over 300,000 years ago that the advanced Levallois technique was developed for making more precise stone edges. The Aurignacian culture came into being about 45K years ago, and then was replaced by the Gravettian culture about 26K years ago. These both extended from western Europe to central Asia, and had highly advanced stone age technology in a hunter-gatherer context. We think of them as primitive, because pretty much all hunter gatherer stone age people that Europeans have encountered in recent centuries were primitive, but these people had a common culture that spanned hundreds of miles, and they had an aural tradition going back centuries.

The human cultures hit a rough spot starting about 20K years ago, as the ice age reached its peak. After the ice age receded, the surviving humans recovered and almost immediately developed agriculture, pottery, fabrics, domestication of the horse, the wheel, and other useful things. It's been less than 200 human lifetimes since the end of the ice age, and here we are reading forum posts on the internet.

Those times are forever lost in the mists of time, from before the time of writing. Archeology can only reveal limited information about that time. However, I believe there was a surprisingly sophisticated and interconnected society in existence back then. It was a stable period in human history that lasted for millennia. It was probably remembered as the Garden of Eden once the money grubbing high-tech bronze age came in, with the writing, and the giant new cities, and the god kings and their armies trying to build empires.

I've always viewed this period from a science fiction point of view. Scifi usually focuses on future technology, but from the point of view of people from that time, the new stone age technologies and the new systems of human cooperation and trade were huge changes and breakthroughs. I can imagine being a chief of a tribe in a good spot with two or three high value food sources and trade good sources in my immediate area, and building a huge bustling community, having the biggest stone hut with the best furs, eating the best food, having the best women for my harem... You know there were guys who achieved exactly this life.

These guys were living in a village by the sea, eating wild game meat, the whole dream. Soy hadn't even been invented yet.

Most don't know this.

I've considered writing fiction in a setting like this. I hope the movie is the kind of thing I can imagine it could be.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

Quote: (07-20-2017 06:17 PM)Uruz Wrote:  

20,000 years ago half of Europe and N. America were under a
mile-thick ice sheet. Southern Europe had cold weather, and half
of Europe was a polar tundra. The areas with the best weather
were the mideast, north Africa and the southernmost parts of Europe:

[Image: LGM.jpg]

With the advent of SUVs and air travel which our
cavemen ancestors greatly abused with no regards
for future generations, CO2 global warming led to a
substantial sea level rise, flooding Atlantis.

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Quote: (07-20-2017 06:34 PM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  

From the promo, I don't see any obvious SJW messaging.
No female lead, no diversity.

@ 2:20 There is a female in white shooting a bow...
She will help/save him after her falls into the icy water.
Then she will instruct or inform him and lead him in some sort of way.

The movie looks interesting but I'm skeptical of ANY movie portraying itself to be hyper masculine in any way.

Looked what happened to the Expendables movie franchise. The 1st and 2nd movie were decent if not watchable but the 3rd movie with Rhonda Rousey was god awful. I couldn't stomach the "you go girl" non-sense.

A lot of moviegoers are usually more upset by the death a dog than a human being, so I guess the dog death scenes are added to make things more emotional.

Quote: (07-20-2017 06:49 PM)RoastBeefCurtains4Me Wrote:  

[b]I'm very interested in human prehistory. I've been reading a lot about it in just the last few days. [/b]

I've previously learned that Neolithic man (still stone age, but after the development of agriculture) was highly developed. They lived in comfortable houses in nice villages and towns, and even though they only had non-metallic tools, they had a very versatile set of tools, pottery, clothing, etc. This Neolithic culture started in the fertile crescent, and spread into Europe, India, China, and Africa fairly quickly. All of this started about 10-12,000 years ago. The early Indus and Sumerian civilizations actually developed large cities in the stone age, before the start of the bronze age.

What I've been learning just recently is that various well developed cultures existed long before the development of agriculture. In fact, it was over 300,000 years ago that the advanced Levallois technique was developed for making more precise stone edges. The Aurignacian culture came into being about 45K years ago, and then was replaced by the Gravettian culture about 26K years ago. These both extended from western Europe to central Asia, and had highly advanced stone age technology in a hunter-gatherer context. We think of them as primitive, because pretty much all hunter gatherer stone age people that Europeans have encountered in recent centuries were primitive, but these people had a common culture that spanned hundreds of miles, and they had an aural tradition going back centuries.

The human cultures hit a rough spot starting about 20K years ago, as the ice age reached its peak. After the ice age receded, the surviving humans recovered and almost immediately developed agriculture, pottery, fabrics, domestication of the horse, the wheel, and other useful things. It's been less than 200 human lifetimes since the end of the ice age, and here we are reading forum posts on the internet.

Those times are forever lost in the mists of time, from before the time of writing. Archeology can only reveal limited information about that time. However, I believe there was a surprisingly sophisticated and interconnected society in existence back then. It was a stable period in human history that lasted for millennia. It was probably remembered as the Garden of Eden once the money grubbing high-tech bronze age came in, with the writing, and the giant new cities, and the god kings and their armies trying to build empires.

I've always viewed this period from a science fiction point of view. Scifi usually focuses on future technology, but from the point of view of people from that time, the new stone age technologies and the new systems of human cooperation and trade were huge changes and breakthroughs. I can imagine being a chief of a tribe in a good spot with two or three high value food sources and trade good sources in my immediate area, and building a huge bustling community, having the biggest stone hut with the best furs, eating the best food, having the best women for my harem... You know there were guys who achieved exactly this life.

These guys were living in a village by the sea, eating wild game meat, the whole dream. Soy hadn't even been invented yet.

Most don't know this.

I've considered writing fiction in a setting like this. I hope the movie is the kind of thing I can imagine it could be.

You should quit while you're ahead [Image: biggrin.gif] Human pre-history is like a step by step descent into madness where the lines of what is fact or fiction get increasingly blurrier.

You should watch this film on Netflix though, if you can ignore the annoying german accent: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1664894/

Cave of Forgotten dreams, it is about a Cro-Magnon ceremonial cave with the famous paintings.

There is a passage there when the narrator tells us something, which takes a little while to sink in: That some of the caves of the Cro-Magnon were visited and painted in for 20.000 years.

Twenty-Thousand Years.

If that doesn't get your mind spinning. 10 times longer than since our time. Visiting the same cave for 20.000 years in that unconquerable darkness of the Ice Age. It's staggering to think about. Living almost the same way, day by day, year by year for 20.000 years and these were modern humans, fully the same with the same capacity for thought and emotion.

[Image: 1200px-SantaCruz-CuevaManos-P2210651b.jpg]

Nomadbrah,

I agree, the farther you go back, the more conjecture you must make. It's easy to fall into the rabbit hole. Some believe in lost civilizations. I'm sure there were a few stone cities of 5,000 people way farther back than anyone would imagine, and those were probably part of a culture and tradition extending over 100's of miles. Places like the Mississippian culture in the pre-Columbian US, but 20,000 years ago.

However, as far as lost civilizations go, these are nothing special. It's not like Atlantis with alien assisted technology. Still, I suspect there was a rich human culture in these areas, and it goes back tens of thousands of years. I think that during this time, people made astronomical observations and passed them down by oral tradition, so that by the time writing was invented, the priests of that era could draw on 1000's of years of observations.

The details of that time are unknowable, but the idea that there were tens of thousands of years of human culture in the prehistoric mists of time is fascinating. Most of our nature and the roots of our cultures come from this time. The last 200 lifetimes are just a thin veneer over the human nature that developed during that forgotten era.

Most people think the humans of that era were like apes using sticks to dig in the dirt for grubs, but even back then, I think there were some that resembled one of the higher American Indian cultures that the Europeans found when they reached North America.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

So I looked into it and and Albert Hughes is directing this film. His previous films include Menace II Society, Dead Presidents, From Hell and The Book of Eli. I wouldn't call these films SJW type films especially the Book of Eli. So this gives some hope Alpha might be good.

Wow, so much potential with this it seems to me...though hollywood is not the best at telling stories usually.

I am a dog person (male dobermann), so simply touching on a dog/man story, let alone THE dog/man story, is enough for me to want to see it.

Is it beta for your dog to redpill you? [Image: wink.gif]

This is my biography.

YoungBlade's HEMA Datasheet
Tabletop Role-playing Games
Barefoot walking (earthing) datasheet
Occult/Wicca/Pagan Girls Datasheet

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
you will die the same way.
I know only one thing
that never dies:
the reputation of the one who's died.

Hannibal opened a window into the tribal nature of Europe before Romans. Excellent material there.

Quote: (09-01-2017 04:26 PM)Araveug Wrote:  

Wow, so much potential with this it seems to me...though hollywood is not the best at telling stories usually.

I am a dog person (male dobermann), so simply touching on a dog/man story, let alone THE dog/man story, is enough for me to want to see it.

Is it beta for your dog to redpill you? [Image: wink.gif]

I am not keen to offer an opinion whether the movie will be good based on the clip and speculation, but if you are looking forward to learning possible history here, as another dog person of sorts, I highly doubt dogs were domesticated starting with adult wolves, as the clip suggests. There is no reason to believe the other aspects of possible history in the movie will be more reliable. In other words, best to treat it as pure fiction, perhaps even fantasy.

Back to the evolution/breeding process from wolves to dogs, it is much more likely, in many ways, that the proto-dogs first adopted by humans were puppies. Puppies automatically get attached to whoever is raising them, be it mommy-wolf or some human youngster. Puppies are also much more likely to be liked by humans (and other advanced mammals) because if advanced mammals would fail to be hypnotically enchanted by the very young, the very young would simply be eaten and we would not be here.

Just watched the movie. While the predictions below were certainly the way to bet ahead of time, they turn out to be wrong. The only female character plays a traditional role, and the wolf's outcome manages to be a surprise.

I liked the movie a lot. I think it gives a rare portrayal of strong masculine roles, and I think it gives a healthy portrayal of a boy passing the rites of passage to become a man.

I wish they would make more movies like this.

Edit: actually, there is one strong female character after all, but I think it is ok the way they did it. It's something you have to think about, or you'd miss it.

-Randy Savage

Here you go. Pretty damn red-pilled too.

(See someone beat me to the punch before this thread got bumped).