rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gentleman Style--Hats for your suits.

Hats, especially formal hats, may seem like outdated accessory today, but this is not so.

Today, a hat will really set you apart from the grey masses, and in a club, paired with your suit will gather the attention of ladies. Your hat will attract their attention and their presence. They will come to you, touch your hat, and almost force you to talk to them. A formal hat is a form of peacocking, while still looking respectable and not like clown in pimp's clothing.

The real shame is that hats went out of style, and became optional. I blame the dirty hippies of the 60s, and President JFK, who was the first respected public figure to not wear hats.

Why do you need a hat? Why, to look good of course!

[Image: hats1.png]

If you have a short and round face, a right hat for you will elongate your face, and vice versa.
Hats will make you look taller.
And the original reason for hats, is that hats are useful against the elements--sun, rain, cold.

[Image: uglymugs.jpg]

A word on a flat cap--these were worn by the children and the poor, as they are significantly cheaper to make than hats. The caps however don't look as good, and don't elicit the same visceral response from women.
If you have money for a suit, also buy an appropriate hat.

[Image: giphy.gif]

With that, let's take a look into different formal hat styles and terminology.

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

Here's mine. Stetson.

[Image: SFSHAS-7540.07-2_1.jpg]

Goes well with a three piece charcoal suit, black belt, silver buckle, and black shoes or boots as the occasion demands. Now all I need is an overcoat or a duster...

YoungBlade's HEMA Datasheet
Tabletop Role-playing Games
Barefoot walking (earthing) datasheet
Occult/Wicca/Pagan Girls Datasheet

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
you will die the same way.
I know only one thing
that never dies:
the reputation of the one who's died.

The hat is made of felt, either wool, or you if you want a durable, good hat, fur. Beaver fur is still the best material, and fetches the most money. The best, 100% beaver fur hats can cost a cool $1000. How much money you got?

[Image: parts-of-a-hat-1-768x658.jpg]

Here are the most popular hat styles.

Fedora is probably the most popular dress hat. One of the big advantages of a fedora — and one of the reasons for the style’s widespread popularity — is the wide, flexible brim. Fedora brims are flat, with no constructed edge or curl, and can be bent up or down as the wearer pleases.

[Image: fedora.jpg][Image: Humphrey-Bogart-Casablanca-1942-Trenchco...0x1223.jpg]

The Trilby:

[Image: trilby.jpg]

The trilby is essentially the same as the fedora, but with narrower brim. It has gained popularity in recent years with various rock musicians.

[Image: 80c1e2dbee4fd490c5de9d598990f0bb.jpg]

The honorable Homburg:
Also known as a 'lord's hat' or the 'banker's hat', it was traditionally worn by men of means and status.

[Image: homburg.jpg][Image: Churchill-in-Grey-Homburg-with-lighter-c...e-trim.jpg]

The Pork Pie:
Needs no introduction.

[Image: pork-pie-hat.jpg][Image: heisenberg_660.jpg]

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

The Bowler/Derby:
Traditionally worn by the lower class, and the Plug Uglies, a New York gang, that distinction was erased by the 60s.

[Image: bowler-derby.jpg][Image: 13684.jpg]

--Oscar Wilde

Wow, you know a shit ton about hats. I thought all of those were called fedoras.

Seasonal hats

While the hats above will be fine in dealing with infamous English climate and rain (but I repeat myself), other materials are needed for hotter/colder climates.

[Image: James-Cagney-640x427.jpg]

Summer Hats!

Panama (confusingly, made in Ecuador, but sold in Panama) are probably the most famous of the summer hats. These come in all shapes and sizes, can be any style, but must be made from palm fiber, which makes the hat light and especially suited for hot climates.

[Image: 024-mick-jagger-theredlist.jpg][Image: two-faces-of-january__140117132541.jpg]

The very American Straw Boater hat:
This style was immensely popular at the turn of last century, as indicated by images below. Recently, it is showing up on the streets more and more. Certainly something to keep in mind, but I would get a Panama hat first.

[Image: 6a18785dd1725ae656336e179e081302.jpg][Image: 53c6e571083bf36533ddfd9a9bcde0fe.jpg][Image: strawboater_4.jpg]
[Image: Heyday-of-the-Boater-Hat-900x678.jpg]

--Oscar Wilde

Winter Hats...

For those of you living in arctic climate of Canada, Russia, and Scandinavia--you will need to dispense with the dainty English sensibilities and acquire a taste for robust and hair-messing.

Luckily, you have several options, depending on how low the temperatures drop.

There is always the Ambassador Hat (aka Karakul, Canadian Wedge, Astrakhan), reminiscent of the infamous cunt cap. It is the pelt of a young Karakul lamb (a breed of sheep native to Central Asia). It is harvested at, or just after, birth (or sometimes shortly before), when the hair is still black, soft, and very tightly-coiled, creating an incredibly dense mat.

[Image: 400-ambassador.jpg][Image: leonid-brezhnev-and-gerald-ford-1974-bpcj4c.jpg]

And who can forget the infamous Ushanka?
This is the warmest style, but one that will get you the most ire of the PETA feminist types. Not to worry--simply respond with "I killed it myself--no one likes a furry beaver!"

[Image: wholesale-genuine-raccoon-bomber-fur-hat.jpg][Image: Men%27s+Russian+Hats+(Mink)+-+Genuine+Wi...+Z89-1.jpg][Image: IMG_2494.jpg]

Good Luck!

[Image: 1384155839_images.jpg]

--Oscar Wilde

For ultra-formal events, such as the white tie parties and the the Royal Ascot, you will need a Top Hat.
A rule to remember--evening events demand a black top hat, while events during sun-up will require light colored top hats.

[Image: 16324560416484122806.jpg][Image: Prince-Michael-of-Kent-with-big-knot-not...-lapel.jpg]

There are also regional styles. One of note, is an Italian style so-called "Godfather Hat", which is technically, but not, a homburg, because it lacks a crease.

[Image: gfhat1.jpg]

--Oscar Wilde

What to get and where to get it?

If you have the money, patience, and proximity of location to Optimo millinery, get a hat from them. They are one of the last true hatteries left in USA.

Otherwise, there Delmonico Hatter is very good--they have hats made for them. Village hat shop is not bad also.

Ideally, however, you want to find a haberdashery with good hat selection next to you, where you can make a purchase in person.

Brands to get.

Stetson, believe it or not makes not only the cowboy hats. They have several styles, in all price ranges, from Pinnacle Fedora to iconic Stratoliner.

Akubra (the "Australian Stetson") Stylemaster is another good fedora.

Outside of those, you are on your own. The state of the hat market is rather sad, and even Stetson doesn't make hats to the same quality standard as in decades past.

--Oscar Wilde

Gotta rep for the brothers here.

[Image: future-earns-fourth-no-1-album-on-billboard-200-chart]

[Image: hat.jpg]

--Oscar Wilde

Neat thread, only problem is that I firmly believe hats have been phased out of formal/semi-formal wear. Notice all of the pictures you posted were either of old times or of old people (save for a couple of eccentrics like Kid Rock and Future). Also an Ushanka is a purely utilitarian piece of headware though is popular among hippie ski bums and eccentrics. Non of those people in the picture look attractive wearing it except for Arnie but he is wearing it along with matching Eastern European uniform making it look sharp and congruent.

In the mid 20th century it was customary for ALL men to wear a hat when leaving the house, but this is a fashion staple that has since faded away.

I dunno about that.
Fashionable guys compared to everyone other slob on the street is incomparable

Excellent source of hats to those wanting to buy, low price but good quality, handmade in Poland:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/154629424/s...de-of-wool
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SterkowskiHats...eader-name

Let me share mine:

[Image: 4296104218dfd55f171438a17497140f.jpg]

Tell them too much, they wouldn't understand; tell them what they know, they would yawn.
They have to move up by responding to challenges, not too easy not too hard, until they paused at what they always think is the end of the road for all time instead of a momentary break in an endless upward spiral

I wear a fedora with a scarf for my peacoat.

It's the only way to keep warm with it. Looks fashionable and is very warm.

YoungBlade, do you really wear the combo you described or just in some occasions?

Others, what is type of hat Joe Cooper wears? Btw, good looking combo on McConaughey.

[Image: 072312-killer-joe.jpg]

I've always found hats to look try hard. Many times I feel a bit embarrassed to be around friends out that were wearing hats, especially fedoras. Currently I'm in Texas and I have not seen one girl as what I'd consider over a 4 or 5 under the age of 35 or 40 with any of the cowboy attire "players."

I have seen some dumbass hood dressing guys with their ball caps stringing some girls that could be attractive but the girls dress like their about to be in a Pitbull video or are in sweat pants and ugs and are about as articulate as a Jerry Springier guest which is a instant turnoff for me.

If you're famous you can pretty much get away with looking like a jackass.

Another example I recently ran into in Texas was talking to these guys who dressed like they were Marlboro cowboys. As a avid rider growing up and having been raised on a actual farm I asked them related questions and they looked at me like I was speaking Greek. Kinda of amused I said to one guy you speak like the kinda guy that rides English enjoys Fox hunts and he said what does that mean.? Clearly oblivious as to the fact that he looked ridiculous as he had never wrangled a Steer, Rode a Bull or sold Cigarettes within a prime time commercial slot.

Point is if you are attempting to look like something your not it shows through so badly it becomes a bit uncomfortable for anyone around you, (men or women). I can't count how many girls have talked shit about guys like this in Texas to me, same thing I saw when white guys in Miami threw on Cubaveras and Fedoras. They looked like jackasses. Unless you're Ernest Hemingway you're not going to pull off a Cubavera as a white guy. Even if your Cuban/American in 2017 you look like a try hard and are not going to be pulling anyone into your corner of any quality in my observation.

Best just to dress sharp and let the women accessorize, you're a man, you have better things to do than peacock. have a few nice fitting suits and blazers and make sure your cuff lengths are correct. Some nice shoes, and a decent watch. When casual look like you're about to go do something active.

Leave the hats, chains, bracelets, ear rings or whatever else at home.

Unless it's a gold stud in your ear because you sailed around Cape Horn (the Everest of sailing.) Are an actual Cowboy, the grandson of Papa Hemingway, or have 10 million sitting in a bank account and some celebrity status. Hats look fucking stupid otherwise even if you're good looking.

I will admit black guys can get away more with peacocking hats and I'm not sure why but I've never met anyone otherwise I could take seriously.

Quote:Quote:

Leave the hats, chains, bracelets, ear rings or whatever else at home.

Alternatively, make your home a different part of world where you are free to reinvent yourself without all the restrictive norms of western culture.

If you already stand out from the society at large, then it is much easier to act and dress like a rock star and be completely congruent. This is much more difficult if you live in a place where peer pressure and social norms dictate what you can and cannot do.

Needless to say, I disagree completely with what FFL has just written, not because he is wrong. What he says might indeed be true for his own environment. This is a pity because I for one love hats and I am lucky, because where I live, wearing them is seen as very cool. All the coolest khampa cowboys here wear hats and make them look great.
I have a short brimmed Himalayan stetson that I wear with tortoise-shells and a chupa. But I also have a short topper for when I want to go for that full-on Castlevania type vampire hunter look. Both look awesome with a full length cheng pao styl cloak.

If you want to do some experimentation with hats, I would like to recommend the following article which shows you how to match up styles with face shapes, skin tones and fashion styles.
Very useful indeed.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/28...-ugly-mug/

Berlin, 1900, every civilian wears a hat:

Hats do keep your head warm and dry, but I was always taught to remover my hat indoors. So when I see men wearing hats inside it looks tryhard to me. The 40s fedora look is a great look but not inside.

[Image: team-mystery.jpg]

What kind of cap is this?

[Image: GTG01gy.png]

"If you cant beat em,...join em"

[Image: 11301847145_cb81f62daa_b.jpg]

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

Quote: (07-17-2017 01:33 PM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

YoungBlade, do you really wear the combo you described or just in some occasions?

Others, what is type of hat Joe Cooper wears? Btw, good looking combo on McConaughey.

[Image: 072312-killer-joe.jpg]

Yes, I do. Not out and about usually, as when I go out I'm going somewhere where working clothes are more appropriate. But if I'm going to a party where dressing up isn't frowned upon, I absolutely wear that combo.

YoungBlade's HEMA Datasheet
Tabletop Role-playing Games
Barefoot walking (earthing) datasheet
Occult/Wicca/Pagan Girls Datasheet

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
you will die the same way.
I know only one thing
that never dies:
the reputation of the one who's died.