rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How would you invest 110k$

I rarely start threads where I ask for advice, but this is one of those cases. I am going to sell my place in EE next few months. I will probably end up with something around 100k euros free to invest + enough money to live off next few years.

I would really love to hear the opinions and suggestions of those of you who are successfully investing money in one way or another.

Ideas I have at the moment of writing this.
a) Buy an apartment in Medellin - because I would love to live there.
b) Invest money in stocks (pain in the ass process for a European)
c) Buy and hold bunch of cryptocurrency.
d) Mix of those 70%- a, 30% b and c.

Enjoy the cashflow...

I would stay out of stocks right now. It's in exuberance. The markets will cool.
My free advice is wait for a 2nd term for Trump to play heavy in the stocks...
Does that make sense?

Stocks are up and down by pure political speculation.
You'll pay too much for someone who paid alot less a couple years ago.
The best way to get your money in is when the market is cratering.

"Buy when there's blood on the streets." - John D. Rockefeller

PS: Warren seems to agree with me. http://www.cnbc.com/2014/02/27/warren-bu...e-sex.html

I disagree with the previous poster about "waiting" it out for stocks to cool. You'll be waiting for a long time. Trump's second term is 3 years away. That's 3 years of inflation making you poorer. Not to mention, OP has his cash in euros. Which market do you want to invest in?

How old are you and what's your tolerance for risk OP?

A quick google search revealed ways for how a european can invest in the American stock markets. To be honest, I would stick to US denominated assets.

Quote: (06-14-2017 02:07 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

I disagree with the previous poster about "waiting" it out for stocks to cool. You'll be waiting for a long time. Trump's second term is 3 years away. That's 3 years of inflation making you poorer.

I am 29. I would say I don't like to risk too much as this would mean going back to work in my case which I would like to avoid.

Your current income and income after your move will likely have significant relevance to the answer you are seeking.

Quote: (06-14-2017 02:10 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Quote: (06-14-2017 02:07 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

I disagree with the previous poster about "waiting" it out for stocks to cool. You'll be waiting for a long time. Trump's second term is 3 years away. That's 3 years of inflation making you poorer.

I am 29. I would say I don't like to risk too much as this would mean going back to work in my case which I would like to avoid.

Use it for additional funding to scale your business to the next step. I'm all about living on passive income if possible, but $100k isn't a big enough war chest to provide a livable stream of income.

Stick to big league stocks that pay a dividend. Avoid bonds.

You'll have to watch how the markets move however and act accordingly. The only way to get any yield right now is in risky instruments. Any major brokerage will allow you to set alerts when your investments drop below a certain amount.

I would only invest a small portion of your cash into cryptocurrencies. Treat them the same way you'd treat precious metals (ie as part of a diversified portfolio).

Only invest in real estate if you see yourself living there.

Only invest in crypto if you understand what you're investing in.

Quote: (06-14-2017 02:13 PM)booshala Wrote:  

Use it for additional funding to scale your business to the next step. I'm all about living on passive income if possible, but $100k isn't a big enough war chest to provide a livable stream of income.

That is what I would do. I wouldn't purchase property until my business was doing well. Cashflow is important and you'll make life so much easier if you have several years stashed and some investments to grow your business. I'm assuming the OP will focus on a business.

Once the business has consistent income that takes care of itself and everyday needs, I would then look at purchasing property or investing the rest.

Vinny, without a risk tolerance assessment and you telling us what you want in life it is very hard to make good suggestions.

If you want to move to Colombia to base a SA business out of, that response is very different than what you would get if you wanted to move there for just a few years and bang bitches then go back to EE.

Also, you need to give us a risk level you have a hard limit on that you can lose all that capital and still sleep at night(10, 20, 30% etc).

Let's go to shittiest places in the world (Africa+Venezuela) and start investing for cheap with high risk and meanwhile also fuck high risk girls. We will either become rich and legendary by 35 or we write a book after our glorious attempt that failed but was still highly entertaining at 40 years old and become rich of of that with a small delay.

We might also die or catch aids, but everyone dies eventually and there will be a cure for aids in the next 10 years, so thats ok.

Invest 100K in something long term (index funds, stocks, very little crypto currency) and take the 10K to Columbia and rent a place for 6 months

You'll have one dollar left,, unless you can talk them down:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-s...-102801593

That's a Seaswirl 3301. They don't get any better. Invest in your lifestyle.

And stay away from that bitcoin stuff. I talked to a financial guy who told me a million different ways it could fail.

Aloha!

Quote: (06-14-2017 07:48 PM)Kona Wrote:  

And stay away from that bitcoin stuff. I talked to a financial guy who told me a million different ways it could fail.

Aloha!

Love that advice. Well done.

Vinny if you buy an apartment in Medellin are you sure the air pollution won't eventually bother you? Living in a polluted smoggy city for 2 weeks is very different to living in a smoggy polluted city for 2 years.

Also when you said "b) Invest money in stocks (pain in the ass process for a European)"

I am assuming by that statement you mean that investing in American stocks is a pain in the ass? I assume if you were to invest in European stocks the process would be much simpler? If you are going to invest in stocks why not invest in European stocks?

They have some decent multinationals in Germany, Switzerland and France. Not to mention that in some of the smaller economies in Europe the small cap stocks tend to be under-followed (due to fewer stock-broking analysts covering small caps and fewer small cap fund managers) so its easier to find small cap bargains (at least in the smaller countries).

Hell, even in a major economy like Italy a lot of the small cap companies are under-followed, let alone a country with a smaller economy like Portugal or Estonia. Here is an excerpt from a recent report of an Australian Fund manager that has an international fund:

"The more time that passes, the more evidence you get to assess the original investment case. Which brings us to an old favourite, B&C Speakers (BIT: BEC). This Italian speaker manufacturer has been in the portfolio since 2013.

The original purchase price was €4.10 per share. In the four years since, earnings per share have grown from €0.38 to €0.58 and the dividends have followed. In total we have received €0.99 in dividends and in late March the company declared another €1, including a €0.60 special dividend. Once paid, the Fund will have received 49% of its original purchase price back in cash. The underlying dividend represents a yield of 10% on purchase price and it should grow from here.

The share price is up 195% since that initial purchase, closing at €12.10 at the end of the quarter. Would we care if it was still trading at €4.10? No. We own a business that is delivering wonderful returns on our initial outlay. That is the true test of a successful investment.

Management tells us we were the first fund managers ever to visit B&C’s head office outside Florence. Even the Milanese financial community, a short high-speed train ride away, didn’t bother. The CFO, Simone Pratesi, shared a pizza with us in the company’s cafeteria. “You guys have the easiest job in the world” he told us. “All you need to do is invest in B&C and go to the beach while I make you rich”.

In the U.S.A. or Australia or the U.K. even a company generating only 5 million dollars in earnings (Net Profit After Tax) will likely already have multiple analysts following the company, and visiting their head office, brokers writing reports, etc.

How difficult it is for you to invest in stocks? Can you buy low Vanguard index funds such as VTSAX (US total stock market fund)? If not, what is the closest alternative? What is the expense ratio per year? VTSAX is 0.04%, for example. Any hidden fees, etc?

Many people in places like Eastern Europe and Asia prefer investing in real estate as opposed to stocks because investing in stocks is difficult, expensive and not popular among their peers.

How much interest can you get from a savings account in your home country? In the US, it's negligible at the moment, but there are countries where you can get pretty good returns.

I agree that buying an apartment only makes sense if you intend to live there long term. Even if you do, you need to research the local market and do a lot of due diligence.

If you intend to move to Medellin, perhaps you can put your money in savings accounts if you can get reasonably high rates. In the meantime, spend some time renting in Medellin, talking to expats and locals and looking for good deals. As soon as you find a great deal, take the money out (even if you lose some of the interest) and buy an apartment. If you decide not to buy an apartment, there is always an option to invest in stocks. If you like to gamble, you can buy crypto currencies too, just don't call it investing because it's not.

Quote: (06-14-2017 07:48 PM)Kona Wrote:  

Aloha!

Kona: Yeah, that's a sweet boat but there is much wisdom in that old adage, "If it floats, flies, or fucks,-- rent it."

Aloha to you!

Quote: (06-14-2017 07:52 PM)Australia Sucks Wrote:  

Vinny if you buy an apartment in Medellin are you sure the air pollution won't eventually bother you? Living in a polluted smoggy city for 2 weeks is very different to living in a smoggy polluted city for 2 years.

Also when you said "b) Invest money in stocks (pain in the ass process for a European)"

I am assuming by that statement you mean that investing in American stocks is a pain in the ass? I assume if you were to invest in European stocks the process would be much simpler? If you are going to invest in stocks why not invest in European stocks?

They have some decent multinationals in Germany, Switzerland and France. Not to mention that in some of the smaller countries in Europe the small cap stocks tend to be under-followed (due to fewer stock-broking analysts covering small caps and fewer small cap fund managers) so its easier to find small cap bargains (at least in the smaller countries).

Hell, even in a major economy like Italy a lot of the small cap companies are under-followed, let alone a country like Portugal or Estonia. Here is an excerpt from a recent report of an Australian Fund manager that has an international fund:

"The more time that passes, the more evidence you get to assess the original investment case. Which brings us to an old favourite, B&C Speakers (BIT: BEC). This Italian speaker manufacturer has been in the portfolio since 2013.

The original purchase price was €4.10 per share. In the four years since, earnings per share have grown from €0.38 to €0.58 and the dividends have followed. In total we have received €0.99 in dividends and in late March the company declared another €1, including a €0.60 special dividend. Once paid, the Fund will have received 49% of its original purchase price back in cash. The underlying dividend represents a yield of 10% on purchase price and it should grow from here.

The share price is up 195% since that initial purchase, closing at €12.10 at the end of the quarter. Would we care if it was still trading at €4.10? No. We own a business that is delivering wonderful returns on our initial outlay. That is the true test of a successful investment.

Management tells us we were the first fund managers ever to visit B&C’s head office outside Florence. Even the Milanese financial community, a short high-speed train ride away, didn’t bother. The CFO, Simone Pratesi, shared a pizza with us in the company’s cafeteria. “You guys have the easiest job in the world” he told us. “All you need to do is invest in B&C and go to the beach while I make you rich”.

In the U.S.A. or Australia or the U.K. even a company generating only 5 million dollars in earnings (Net Profit After Tax) will likely already have multiple analysts following the company, and visiting their head office, brokers writing reports, etc.

I know it was not on your list of options, but due to the shitty economy in Brazil, in some of the smaller cities you could buy a small house/cottage walking distance to an amazing beach for that price. Of course you would be taking a high level of political and economic risk by investing in Brazil. Also if you are interested in living in a small Brazilian city is another question that needs to be considered.

Disclosure: I have not been to Brazil but that is just what I have seen by looking at properties online and from reading articles about the economy and politics there. I could be way off base about Brazil. Maybe somebody who has lived in Brazil could chime in here?

Off the Reservation that was a bit uncalled for. What exactly was it about my post that you thought was retarded?

p.s. Vinny many of us guys dream of having a place in Eastern Europe. I am just curious why you want to sell it? Too much of a good thing huh.

Sounds like you are overseas so that makes it harder to answer. I'm in the US and have always been involved in finance/investments. I'm 40 - if I knew now what I knew then I'd have focused most of my investments on properties spitting off a decent amount of cash flow. Not really areas like SF that have had a huge run up, but second/third tier cities where the rental rates are high compared to the purchase prices.

The BMan. What would you suggest for people in the US since you have your experience in investments/finance.

I'm sure people in the United States will read this thread and want to know.

Quote: (06-14-2017 08:14 PM)Australia Sucks Wrote:  

Off the Reservation that was a bit uncalled for. What exactly was it about my post that you thought was retarded?

I am not a troll I am being genuine.

As for my whole story it was just a combination of bad luck.

I did not score a Colombian flag due to poor logistics.

The guy was short and weak and is lucky I did not break his fucking nose.

Typical backwards Cusquenian business owners (or their also uneducated staff) who are too retarded to understand how to run a business...

Within thirty seconds of sitting down a waitress came with a drinks menu and asked me if I wanted anything. I politely declined with a "no, gracias".

He is lucky I am calm guy who tries to stay out of trouble.

I would need a full seperate thread to list all of my bad experiences

Medellin: ugly and bitchy women

Fuck Peru!!

In general the anti-foreigner sentiment in Cusco is very intense.

The locals in Cusco should be thankful we tourists provide their ungrateful, uneducated, useless, backward asses with a living.

in stark contrast to Peru I would recommend Chile as a top game destination.

in Brazil, in some of the smaller cities you could buy a small house/cottage walking distance to an amazing beach for that price.

Disclosure: I have not been to Brazil

NovaVirtue I do not appreciate you trashing my game.

I have every right to be angry when guys on this forum and other forums hyped up Cusco and made it sound like it was a major/easy game city

Some even touted Cusco as the easiest city in South America to get laid. Maybe once upon a time it was possibly true.

it is not all rainbows and unicorns as some posters here would have you believe.

One lesson I learned from this is make sure you test a city for at least a week before commiting to it for a longer period.

the girl has to be a least a 5 or it does not count

it is clearly no longer the case that a foreigner can just show up and fuck the easy local Cusco sluts.

So yeah, I have a right to be pissed off because I was misinformed which led to me fucking up my holiday planning.

my experience is more recent [] than most other posters on this thread

I have made heaps of contributions to Rooshv since I joined.

Within 15 minutes of being there I got asked 3 times if I wanted anything. Then I got angry and left.

And don't even get me started on the ubiquitous but useless traffic police in Cusco.

The average girl was nothing special through.

I predict the bar will be bankrupt within 6 months.

Sometimes (not always, but often) when I walk into a store and say for example "Buenas tardes, como esta?"

I remember one time me and two Peruvian girls were sitting in a different bar a few weeks ago.

I have not a chance to see much yet because my girl was tired and I got drugged

Also I found Medellin girls to have high bitch shields and are less friendly

I also forgot to mention Santiago Chile. That place was day-game paradise.

Technical analysis is squiggly line voodoo.

I am a tourist who actually bothered to greet you in your own langauge at least have the fucking manners to greet me back.

The food and service there was terrible

It is a fact and you can look it up on the internet.

She was maybe a 5.5 and was mediocre in bed, but she put out on the first night.

Kronenberg I was in the bar for less than two minutes.

For example I will stay in cheap hostels (but in a private room) and catch cheap buses and look for the cheapest tour agency

Kangaroo my view is that these type of ETFs overall are low cosy, well diversified solid investment vehicles for the long-term passive investor but it depends on how they are used.

That being said the average Limenian girl is still mediocre.

If you plan is to dollar cost average a fixed monthly amount into an index over many, many years to come then that is a sound plan as the dollar cost averaging will tend to smooth out the result and you will do okay.

I don't have any cash.

In terms of other ways to play the property boom, property developers like Tamawood (ASX: TWD) and Sunland Group (ASX: SDG) are doing well and this should continue.

They cannot compete with Chilean girls.

With all this on my side, I still didn't get a notch.

After getting my Iphone pickpocketed in Cusco some weeks ago yesterday I got robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight.

due to the culture in Peru, almost everywhere has bad game logisitcs in Peru.

I would caution against buying an index fund (unless it is for a stock market which is undervalued like Brazil or Russia

I did not have a Chilean mobile number because I was only there for one day and I did not have an Iphone (to get a number for whatsapp, viber, etc) because it was stolen in Peru

After a period of regulatory tightening/shakeup in the vocational education market, the better players in the industry are set to do well.

if you are an average looking guy it will be a massive uphill battle even to fuck a 5

BB1 I do not work in the finance industry.

I found closing real difficult in Sydney for whatever reason.

I almost never get IOIs from girls

This is a major logistical hurdle to fucking girls as they are generally pretty serious about obeying the curfew.

Solid actionable advice would be giving concrete strategies about specific times and locations (and meetup groups, etc) to game, what style of game to use, what girls to target, etc.

Aussie women love guys that work with their hands.

then afterwards I scheduled a date with the massage girl later that night (she was only a 5.5 but things are so desperate in Cusco I had to lower my standards this much).

its not Moscow or Kiev but the girls are pleasant looking enough

They like dumb footy players or steroided bodybuilders. If you are goodlooking and jacked you can fuck lots of aussie girls as they are really slutty.

Scrambled, in future If you want to attack everything I post please p.m. me instead of posting it on thread as it is derailing the thread, and others probably do not want to read a mud-slinging match between two posters. Thanks.

If you are an average looking guy Aussie girls will treat you with complete and utter contempt and disrespect.

I have lived my whole life in Sydney and have done thousands of approqches in Sydney.

Then on the way walking to the restaurant I tried to hug her and hold her hand but she resisted and said she wants to be "only amigos". At the point I cancelled the date and walked away.

They are unbelievably stupid, even the ones that go to university and study law or medicine.

It makes me angry when guys talk out of their ass.

I was going to make a "buy a house in Chile" joke. Now I regret not doing so earlier.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

I was in your situation a few years back.

In Canada we have a TFSA account which is tax free. I maxed mine out ($40,000) in medium-high risk stocks.

I put $55,000 in low fee mutual funds that do about 3-4% annually.

I bought a polishing tool for $12,000 that has made me about $35,000 in 4 months.

I spent a month fucking around and surfing in Spain for $5,000.

I bought a Chevy Suburban to take my family on a camping road trip around western Canada ($5300).

Even with spending what I have on shit I am about where I was when I had the money in the bank to begin with. Thanks President Trump!

Stocks - there are always opportunities. Windar Photonics at 65p for example