rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Becoming known as "that guy" when approaching on campus

I've read through a few threads on college game, and the main consensus seems to be that you need a social circle to game, for students at least, but unfortunately I don't really have one (working on it), so I've been using that as an excuse to not get back into daygame. However, I want to get back into it, but I'm worried that if I go around approaching I'll become known as "that guy" on campus. I also live in a college town, so pretty much everyone here is either a student or works for the school.

So my question is, is it worth the social risk to do 1-2 approaches a day, or should I just say fuck it and do it and not really worry about it. I go to a Big 10 with 40,000 students, so maybe it's not really an issue. I recently turned 21 so I plan on doing nightgame as well.

Also, I used to do direct approaches when I went to community college back in LA and I'd usually get numbers from it, but most of the girls would rarely respond so should I switch it up or stick with it, I prefer direct though.

That guy who does whatever he wants, who can talk to hot girls at any given time without any hesitation while others just watch from a distance and wish to be that guy?
[Image: attachment.jpg36652]   
Why do you care so much anyway
Quote:ksbms Wrote:

Guess what, one day you will be too old to talk to any sexy girl, you will be a cripple, and the only thing will be the sexy girls on TV. And guess, no-one will care. No-one. All sexy girls will ignore you. You've got very limited time on this planet, so better start right now - you will never be ready, you forge readiness by doing.

It's your life, make a decision. Either you'll get some or none, like most man - who get none, of few of these young, fresh, sexy girls. You know that coffee for closers only, aka 'pussy for men is only'? Either you talk to her or you don't. Either she'll open her legs for you or someone else. It's that simple.

Being a Man is to face your fears head on. You'll get rejected over and over and over again. But the more often you get these rejections, the more sexy girls will open their legs for you. Isn't in fantastic? And put it into proper context. You are not asked to charge with a bayonet mounted on a rifle against the enemy's frontline. To fear approaching death that is looking in your eyes, that is understandable. But caring if some broad will ignore you?

Man up, and get out there, and talk to that sexy girl before I'll do that.
[We should exchange data when you start, I'm in a very much similar situation]

Don't "approach" just women. Be social in general and talk to a lot of people you see. Men and women . It's college you're supposed to do that. If you calibrate right and are social with everybody you will be known as being friendly. Make sure to flirt with the girls though. Then when you get these chicks at parties, bars or anywhere isolated you strike.

If you're "that guy," then your game is too obvious, which is to say, your game is bad.

Also, if you're attractive enough (not just physically, but as a complete package), it won't make a difference if you're that guy, as long as you keep your sexual encounters on the down-low.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Unless you hang out in the same spot everyday hitting on dozens of girls, you aren't going to get a bad reputation on a Big 10 campus. If you're at a small school in a small town, different story.

I went to a D-3 school in a town of around 50k. If someone approached ten girls a day there, he'd get a shitty reputation unless he had tight game. You see the same people in the same bars downtown weekend after weekend. That's where social circle game kicks in.

Quote:Suits Wrote:

If you're "that guy," then your game is too obvious, which is to say, your game is bad.
This is very interesting and intriguing. What if that guy doesn't care if his game is too obvious. He is not doing it to impress anybody, Is it still bad game? By game here I mean way of thinking.

Generally speaking people are so self involved they aren't apt to notice what other people are doing.

Generally...Unless your "this guy"

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

Pretty much the importance of social circle game. I talked to everyone on campus and the places I hung at had a small tight knit crowd. And I got away with running game on chicks because of me talking to everyone. Had one of the baristas behind the counter at the local coffee joint tell me that a chick told him that she felt I was a bit overbearing or trying to flirt with her even though she has a boyfriend(that she didn't mention) and she didn't like it.

Newsflash I was, but then he essentially told me that he defended me to her saying that's how I was. The owner this old middle aged woman always gives me a hug and free drink when I come through. I greet like 10 different people who remember my face every time I come through etc. and that I wasn't "like that ".

I was pretty shocked that my game had faltered that much, but on the flip side I felt good that I was received so well by everyone that even someone I barely knew would defend me so well to some hot cunt with a boyfriend.

It's all about being received well and positively even by strangers. Lets you get away with a lot more. Granted don't bang your way through any small certain niches on campuses. That has actually caused me problems. Good, bad, and ugly.

"Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,— 'Wait and hope'."- Alexander Dumas, "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Fashion/Style Lounge

Social Circle Game

Team Skinny Girls with Pretty Faces
King of Sockpuppets

Sockpuppet List

Start by reading every post by Giovonny, he has written some of the best advice on this topic you will ever find, with first hand examples.

There are literally thousands of posts of gold here that can help you.

Quote: (09-01-2012 12:56 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

This something I have been thinking alot about lately.

"Choke points" on college campuses. College campuses are great places to pick up, there are young girls everywhere, thousands of them. However, on each campus, some locations are more ideal then others. Areas where alot of girls gather, men and women mingle together in close proximity, making it easier to open a conversation.

I usually just walk around and open girls where ever I see them but identifying these "choke points" is helpful. They allow to work less for more opportunities. They create an environment that makes the approach easier - you are doing something in common with the girl, that is big, when you are doing something in common with your target, it really makes the approach easier.

Other examples of this that I have used are...

Waiting in line at the same place. I usually say - "Is this place good? What do you usually get? Or, - "This is my first time eating here, what's good?"

Eating at the same place. I usually say - "Ooh, that looks good. What's that? Or, - "Looks good, I'm getting one of those" Or, "Excuse me, what is that?"

The bus stop or train stop. I usually say..."Will this line take me downtown?" Or, - "How long until the next train comes?"

The study abroad office. I love this place because everyone is their to get information about traveling and living over seas. They have little brochures on like 100 countries. Everyone is looking at the brochures. I usually say - "What country are you intersted in?" Or, - "Wow, Japan, have you been there?". I like this place because I can quickly get into stories of my travels.

The microwaves in the cafeteria. Many people use these to heat their food. It's similiar to the copy machines that the op describes. I usually say - "That smells good" Or, - "That looks good". I always make fun of girls for being messy.

The registrars office. Everyone is paying bills, getting paperwork, getting id cards, there are lines everywhere. I usually say - "Where do i get my id card?" Or, - "Is this the line for payments?". Anything to get the chat started.

The campus gym. I usually say - "How was your workout?" Or - "Is that exercise good for abs?"

Again, one of the big keys here is that you are doing the same thing as the girl, you are not just walking past her and stopping to talk to her. You are in the same place at the same time doing the same thing, that commonality and shared experience is what you will build off of. You have something in common, even if its just for a minute.

Quote: (09-01-2012 01:17 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Here are a few college campus approaches..

Quote: (08-08-2012 11:55 AM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I was walking across a local college campus. I saw a cute latina holding a plate of food and walking towards me. I slowed down my walk. I mean I really slowed down so we would get to the corner at the same time. I do that alot, I try to put myself just ahead of a girl while we are walking so I can turn back, look over my shoulder and open that way. I've found that this is so much better then approaching her from behind. This way, I sort of pretend that she surprised me. When we get to the corner and she is right behind me, I turn slightly over my shoulder as if I heard someone creeping up behind me..

me: thats looks good
her: it was ok
me: where did you get it?
her: the pizza place in the village apartments
me: oh, ya, that place is ok
her: it was the only place that was open
me: ya, they'll be more options when school starts
her: ya but is all fast food
me: ya i know, i don't eat here much
her: i don't eat fast food

This was a big moment because I am a health nut and this was something that we have in common, something I could use to build a connection.

me: ya me neither, do you ever go to the taco place in the park apartments?
her:no where?
me: on the other side of campus, in the shopping center
her: never heard of it
me: so you're not from around here
her: no im from LA
me: thats the only place i eat around here, everything else is garbage
her: ya i know, i wish the food was better
me: you gotta learn how to cook your own stuff
her: i do, i refuse to eat fast food
me: are you a vegetarian or something?
her: no i just don't like disgusting food
me: how long have you been in the bay?
her: 1 year, how bout you?
me: my whole life

We came to a fork in the road. She was going left into her apartments, I was going right back to my car.

her: it was nice chatting with you
me: ya, you too, maybe we should chat again some time..
her: do yo have an email?
me: sure

I ended things with a double kiss in both cheeks. I have been doing this alot lately and I've found that it helps solidify the romantic connection. The more touching the better I think.

I have gone on 2 dates with this girl and make out with her but no bang yet.

Quote: (10-13-2011 12:50 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I was walking through the dorms at the University of San Francisco. I saw a cute asian walking by herself...

me: is the cafeteria this way?
her: huh?
me: i'm looking for the cafeteria..is it this way?
her: ooh...i don't know (giggle, giggle)
me: you don't know where it is hah? do you live her?
her: i just came from Korea (she had limited English)
me: ok, don't you eat in the cafeteria?
her: ohh yes, i think so, yes (giggle)

I don't think she even knew what the fuck I was talking about. She barely spoke English.

me: how long have you been here?
her: ooh, can you say again?

Now, I realize that she really doesn't speak much English

me: lets sit down on this bench

We sit down and I basically ask her a few qustions and we try to communicate a little. I say I will show her around San Francisco. I tell her to give me her number. I got the sense that she was down because she kept looking me in the eye and it was like she was so happy I was talking to her.

I just started kissing her. We started texting a little and a few days later we went to the beach. We made out some more and went back to my house where she got so drunk that she threw up and passed out. The next weekend, she came over again but I didn't let her drink so much. Got the bang on the 3rd date. A few months later she went back to Korea.

I think I was her first latin/white guy. She seemed to be sort of facinated by the whole experience.

I banged this girl on our 2nd date. The first date was to the beach. The 2nd date was drinking at my house. Bang.

Quote: (08-08-2012 01:30 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

About 20 mins after I meet the healthy latina that I wrote about 2 posts above, I am still on that college campus and this time I see a cute asian. Great ass for an asian girl, tight black pants. I am behind her which I don't like. Luckily for me she stops as the sidewalk because there are a bunch of cars zooming by. I stand right next to her, slightly ahead of her.

The last one goes by and she takes one step off the curb. Right at that moment, I see another car racing around the corner fast. I grab her arm lightly...

me: hang on, one more
her: thanks
me: no problem

We take a few steps..

me: how was class?
her: oh, you know, its class
me: ya, summer school is almost over right?
her: ya its the last week
me: nice, then you can relax
her: i also work in the science lab
me: oh you're a scientist
her: well, im a bio major
me: really i love bio, i don't know much about it but its fascinating to me.
her: what do you study?
me: physical education
her: you mean kinesiology
me: ha ya i mean kinesiology, i didn't think you would know what that is
her: i have taken a kines class before
me: do you work out
her: just walking
me: thats all you need
her: i think so

Blah, Blah, Blah, same old shit, I'm chatting and I'm waiting for her to ask me more personal questions or at least look at me with an interested look in her eye.

We walk another block and chat.

me: are you an international student?
her: yes
me: from where?
her: hong kong
me: oh i love food from there
her: hehe me too

Blah, Blah..

me: have you ever dated a spanish guy?
her: no
me: i don't know what is is but i think your cute
her: hehe
me: do you want to exchange numbers?
her: hehe ya sure
me: ok call me the number is XXX-XXX
her: ok do yo have it
me: got it i'll call you tmw
her: k

I lean in to give her the double kiss on the cheek. She pulls away.

me: im spanish, we kiss both sides (i'm like 1/8th spanish and i only started doing the kiss thing last month)
her: oohh hehe

I lean back in and kiss both cheeks. She gives me a curious/seductive little look. I think there is some potential here. We'll see..

She flaked.

Quote: (08-08-2012 02:24 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Next day, different college. I see a girl that I use to talk to but never banged. I got her over my place once but she wouldn't do anything besides a little kissing. Im think I'm too old for her. We walk into the library together..

A beautiful black girl looks at me and smiles. I think to myself - "damn, i need to go talk to her"

I'm still talking to this other girl and trying to get a feel if she is interested in me or not. I hang with the other girl and I don't think she is interested even though she is kind of pretending she is. She is a fucking tease. She says she is going north, I say im going south. I head straight back to the library to find that gorgeous black girl.

I see her and she smiles at me again. I turn and head straight for her. She is studying.

me: hows your studying going?
her: oh pretty good
me: is that math?
her: ya stats
me: you smiled at me and i thought we might have known each other
her: (she just smiled)
me: that was kind of weird
her: i know right

I swear to god we have instant chemistry. I can feel it and I know she does too. We are just kind of looking at each other and vibing.

me: where are you from?
her: i was born in nigeria
me: like sade
her: ha yes
me: your name
her: sophia
me: beautiful
her: (smiles) yours
me: giovonny

We are talking slow and looking into each others eyes. This approach is unlike any other I have done in a long time. The chemistry is so strong. We are just admiring each other.

Me: our eye contact was crazy
her: i know, sometimes you just see something in someone
me: what did you see in me?
her: potential
me: hmm, i like that

At this point I am close to falling in love. Fuck!!! This girl looked like this:

[Image: tumblr_lbb8g27CY21qdqix4o1_500.jpg]

Or this..

[Image: salma.jpg?w=201]

African girls are so much prettier then black american girls, generally. they have a different energy, its raw, organic, passionate, sweet, feminine. That's what it is. African girls are feminine! The way they dress, talk, and carry themselves is so much more attractive then most american girls!

I'm not talking about some ugly african chicks that you might have seen on tv. I'm talking classy, clean, educated, beautiful women. Read Naughty Nomads report on African women to confirm what I'm saying.

We chat a little more..

her: i could tell you were different
me: how so
her: i could see you were very aware and conscientious (whatver that means)
me: lets go sit down in the study hall
her: ok

We sit on a couch. I grab her hand and stroke it. We talk about our instant chemistry. I pull her in closer to me. She puts her hand over mine. I put my lips just under here ear and move my lips around her neck and ear area.

her: ooohhh thats nice

We basically snuggle on the couch for about 20 minutes. We exchange numbers. I walk her to the train station. I tell her I will call her later. I call her at 915pm, no answer. She calls back at 1015, I don't answer because I'm smoking weed and watching olympics. I don't want to take any chances. Better to not pick up then risk saying something stupid.

She texts me the next morning around 10 - "sorry i missed your call last night"

I go see her the very next day. It goes great. Within 24 hours of meeting her, we are making out on the street and eating ice cream together.

Fuck, if you guys don't hear from me for a while you know why!

P.S. - I have to say thanks to WestCoast for this one because if it wasn't for him I don't know if I would have gotten this girl. He recommened that I get better fitting clothes instead of dressing in the baggy bulshit that I used to wear. I was wearing my new slim chino pants and a well fitted shirt, I think thats what she noticed. If I was dressed how I normally do, I don't know if she would have noticed me. I feel much more attractive in my new clothes and i know girls can tell. Thanks dude!

I am currently banging this girl.

Just for fun, here are some crazy day time apocalypse openers I did on a college campus.

Americans are dreamers too

You don't need to worry to be known as "that man".

The only thing that you need to worry is if you get blown out by many girls without success. In a small college that means that you have to be smarter and cannot do spam-approaching as if you are in Manhattan. Aside from that - it does not matter much if you fuck many girls - they will still want to bang you, some may not want to date you, but it works even better for having sex.

What does he do if he gets blown about a lot of lizards though? This is a great question in my opinion. How does a noob circumvent this? Saying tighten your game is a given but what active measures can he take?

Let's say he lives in a small town where everyone knows each other..how can he operate and feed copiously without quickly becoming known as that guy?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (05-12-2017 05:47 AM)Moma Wrote:  

What does he do if he gets blown about a lot of lizards though? This is a great question in my opinion. How does a noob circumvent this? Saying tighten your game is a given but what active measures can he take?

Let's say he lives in a small town where everyone knows each other..how can he operate and feed copiously without quickly becoming known as that guy?

Honestly there are no easy ways to become good at seducing girls if you have a long way to go.

Best would be to shorten the learning curve by studying as much as possible beforehand - read Roosh's boosk, Rational Male (concepts of female psychology), Daygame books by Nick Krauser, you can even peruse the forum or procure help by RVF members, watch videos of approaches - essentially you need to work out four muscles way more than if you were living in New York and could be doing 1000 approaches and get 1 bang out of it.

In addition there are easy ways of field-testing your approach skills by driving 200 miles to the next big shopping mall and doing a test-day by gaming 20-50 girls.

An example was Holistic Game - those Coffee shop owners some time ago who had a podcast and blog were quickly known as "those kind of guys" in their small town. What spelled their doom was not the fact that they banged girls, what destroyed them was that they put it all out in public on the podcast and blog. That was a small town and no one cared that they were fucking girls left and right (that is until the women found the blog and the feminists/SJWs brought down their business).

Unless you are either too far away from becoming an effective seducer or there is a strong chasm between reality and your view about yourself, then you should be able to make it without burning a small venue by bad Game. And honestly - I met guys with bad Game who approached every girl in school and college - those guys due to their horny nature (and low sexual market value) sure got blown out a lot, but they fucked also a bunch of girls, because their bad approaches still beat the nice guys who never dared to ask a girl for a date or sexualize a conversation. Some hot girls gave them even pity-fucks because they hit on her (repeatedly) at a moment when she was feeling sad and let him bang her. Back in those days I did not understand how powerful persistence can be at times.

if you are getting blown out, like 20 in a row, you are doing something wrong. first, portray confident body language. second, look for IOIs. Third, your communication needs to be congruent.

Someone above said don't just open girls. That is great advice. Open guys, open older ladies, open the groundskeeping staff, etc. Its all good practice and helps you to improve your calibration skills.

Quote: (05-11-2017 11:46 PM)Lawrence of A Labia Wrote:  

Quote:Suits Wrote:

This is very interesting and intriguing. What if that guy doesn't care if his game is too obvious. He is not doing it to impress anybody, Is it still bad game? By game here I mean way of thinking.

Good game gets you the chick.

Good game is appropriate for the environment.

Good game means being able to read a room and respond appropriately.

Good game does get you kicked out of your BJJ class.

Good game doesn't lead to women gossiping about how you keep hugging them every time you see them.

Good game keeps your dick happy.

Good game doesn't earn you a reputation that will send the ladies fleeing before they have even met you.

Nothing wrong with a reputation, as long as it doesn't stop you from getting laid. If the reputation you've earned due to the quality of your game is preventing you from getting laid, you necessarily have bad game.

If your reputation either leads to you getting laid more or doesn't stop you from getting laid on roughly the same level as you would without it, you may have good game.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Lots of good points here.

I think Giovanny had some brilliant posts shared here.

I also agree very strongly that your time here is indeed limited. I recently graduated from my university and it was way smaller than your school, brother. Population around 5k students. I always tried to pick up from my 1st year through to my 4th. The only time I had a reputation of being a player was in my 1st year when I lived in residence. I tried to make it a point not to bang girls that lived in my building, kind of like a co-worker setting. That didn't last though. I couldn't help it. There were just too many hot girls.

By 2nd year I ditched that reputation though. People forget. My game improved, I became a better person. Fact of the matter is that if I can overcome that reputation in a tiny ass university town, you can surely try pick up in a place where the population is 40k students.

The best approach though would be to not make it obvious. If you don't make it obvious then you will develop the reputation of being great with girls. If you have bad game you'll develop a reputation as the creepy dude who's always alone and trying to take girls home. I've been in both of those situations and one of them is a lot better than the other.

Best of luck, brother. Cheers

Quote: (05-12-2017 06:16 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

if you are getting blown out, like 20 in a row, you are doing something wrong. first, portray confident body language. second, look for IOIs. Third, your communication needs to be congruent.

Someone above said don't just open girls. That is great advice. Open guys, open older ladies, open the groundskeeping staff, etc. Its all good practice and helps you to improve your calibration skills.

Haven't done any approaches at my current school, but when I was in community college I would do direct approaches and more often than not the conversations went well and I would get their number (most went nowhere), so approach wise I think my vibe was confident.

Quote: (05-12-2017 11:59 AM)BrandonCodi Wrote:  

Lots of good points here.

I think Giovanny had some brilliant posts shared here.

I also agree very strongly that your time here is indeed limited. I recently graduated from my university and it was way smaller than your school, brother. Population around 5k students. I always tried to pick up from my 1st year through to my 4th. The only time I had a reputation of being a player was in my 1st year when I lived in residence. I tried to make it a point not to bang girls that lived in my building, kind of like a co-worker setting. That didn't last though. I couldn't help it. There were just too many hot girls.

By 2nd year I ditched that reputation though. People forget. My game improved, I became a better person. Fact of the matter is that if I can overcome that reputation in a tiny ass university town, you can surely try pick up in a place where the population is 40k students.

The best approach though would be to not make it obvious. If you don't make it obvious then you will develop the reputation of being great with girls. If you have bad game you'll develop a reputation as the creepy dude who's always alone and trying to take girls home. I've been in both of those situations and one of them is a lot better than the other.

Best of luck, brother. Cheers

Good stuff man I appreciate it, and I guess it makes more sense to go indirect.

Learn how to talk to chicks without hitting on them.

You can approach all day long and nobody will notice as long as you dont make a big scene out of your approach. Stay away from Yad stops and shit like that.

Walk around the campus, visit different places there and chat up girls along the way casually as if you dont even expect them to talk back to you.

In short.. make your aproach social not sexual. You can always amp it up at any moment you way later on.

I am in a big university in a small town, but guess, I'm faculty. Fortunately I don't teach (yet) just research. I approach girls on campus but not in an industrious way and I try not to make a public show out of it. My cold approach is not yet so good I have to admit.

A whore ain't nothing but a trick to a pimp. (Iceberg Slim)
Beauty is in the erection of the beholder. (duedue)
Grab your life by the pussy.
A better question to ask is "What EXACTLY do I want out of life and what EXACTLY am I doing to get EXACTLY that? If you can answer that question truthfully you will be the most Alpha motherfucker you will ever need to be. (PapayaTapper)

I'm going to second XXL on this.

Being friendly and seeking nothing never hurts. It's unlikely it'll lead to a direct lay, but it won't be bad unless you can't carry a normal friendly social conversation.

I had a friend in college who used to check people in at the gym. He'd just say hello and smile and never actually held a conversation with anyone, however, when we'd go out to the bars every girl would recognize him and say hello.

You can be "that friendly guy" to your advantage. Considering your job, I would shy away from any approaches, and just stick to small talk until an opportunity arises

Quote: (05-18-2017 07:06 AM)Sonoma Wrote:  

I'm going to second XXL on this.

Being friendly and seeking nothing never hurts. It's unlikely it'll lead to a direct lay, but it won't be bad unless you can't carry a normal friendly social conversation.

I had a friend in college who used to check people in at the gym. He'd just say hello and smile and never actually held a conversation with anyone, however, when we'd go out to the bars every girl would recognize him and say hello.

You can be "that friendly guy" to your advantage. Considering your job, I would shy away from any approaches, and just stick to small talk until an opportunity arises

that is a great plan.

I knew some guys who would fight to be freshmen orientation leaders for the same reason.

Had some fraternity brothers who volunteered to drive the shuttle busses for a panhelenic conference (sororities) that was held at our campus - you had sorority representatives from all over the country on our campus. When they asked if they knew of any parties, they would respond, yes, my fraternity is having a party tonight. (:>)

At my fraternity, when I saw women, I would just play the gentleman and introduce them and give them a tour. I walked around like I owned the place and new everyone, which I did, but I was one of few guys who would affirmatively demonstrate that. It was just being social, not hitting on them, but it built comfort and other lizards always saw me with other lizards. You can call it social proof or conditioning that I frequently had female company.

Now, joining a fraternity is not an option for everyone but think about what these guys did that increased their opportunities. There is a data sheet on this forum about being a party host which is a way to take what I did and apply it outside of a fraternity.

One thing the fraternity did for me was supply new targets and multiple concentric circles of social circle. For example, my friend's girlfriend would bring her friend, who I would game. As you get older, your circles get smaller and fewer, so if you throw a party and ask your guests to bring someone who you don't know yet, its a way to expand your circles. Similar to this, I have a wealthy friend in manhattan who is married; he and his wife throw dinner parties and their goal is to platonically connect people from very disparate social circles who might find each other interesting. This is what a good host does, but there is no law that says you can't do it for your own selfish interest.