rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weight Training Routine for Beginners?

Gentlemen, I not afraid to admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about weight training. I am overweight and have been doing the Keto Diet for the past 10 months, down about 35lbs (age 41, 6'3ish, 290lbs) and just started doing cardio 3x's a week in the past couple months.
I do cardio because it's all I know how to do. Hitting the elliptical, punching in Cardio along with my weight, age and duration is comfortable and easy, so that's what I do.
That said, I worked out with a chick awhile back and did some lunges and other various exercises and could tell right away, whatever I've been doing is no where near working out. Honestly, I don't even fully comprehend what reps are and how all the x10 x5's stuff even works.

Admittedly, my ignorance has prevented me from really exploring and doing workouts at the gym. I have an irrational (or maybe rational) fear of looking like I have no clue what I'm doing when everyone else seems like they have their shit down packed, lol.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful

Quote: (05-03-2017 05:25 PM)DimeBait Wrote:  

I have an irrational (or maybe rational) fear of looking like I have no clue what I'm doing when everyone else seems like they have their shit down packed, lol.

Being an over-thinker, I used to be like that too when I was starting out. Eliminate that mindset immediately.

I was scared of doing squats and deadlifts, but at some point you just gotta do 'em. Now I'm addicted to them.

Squats are amazing for burning those calories too.

Check out Strong Lifts 5x5. I have used it for years and appreciate the focus on squats (single best lift you can do for yourself), and you're in and outta' the gym in 45 min or less.

"Civilization is man's project, man is woman's." - Illimitable Man, Maxim #104

Posting from somewhere close to the confluence of the Police State, the Entertainment Industry, and the New World Order.

Quote: (05-03-2017 08:23 PM)justforfun19713 Wrote:  

Check out Strong Lifts 5x5.

I second this.

Perfect routine to ease into and the strength gains you'll get will be great.

There is an app on the appstore for it.

“It is far better for a man to go wrong in freedom than to go right in chains.” Thomas Henry Huxley

The Drum & Bass Music Thread
The Dubstep Music Thread

Kinobody, do the quiz on the site and start doing the recommended program.... Simple, effecient and fits any lifestyle.

thread-47523...+beginners

thread-46916...+beginners

thread-5908....+beginners

thread-10482...+beginners

thread-58554...er+routine

thread-43744...er+routine

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

What the other posters say about 5x5 is absolutely correct. To be successful with weightlifting I will give you a couple of tips that without them you will fail 100%:

- Technique must be perfect. Yes. This is the most important and most ignored detail in weightlifting.
- Nutrition must be adequate. All it means is that you eat enough to fuel your body. You work out hard and you eat accordingly. You will lose weight regardless, you will see.
- The focus is always long term. At your current state, you need to be focusing in a year to two objective. Day in and day out. Break it down in smaller objectives if you need to.

This is what I would do. I would spend the next 6 month learning technique, Learn the squat, the deadlift, the benchpress and the overhead press. Do not focus on weight, focus on technique. Check out online videos and learn the technique to a T. Start with the bar weight only, and spend a month if necessary doing technique with bar weight only. This is where I say to focus on the long term. Your first little objective is to learn the technique. If you want to squat 405 lbs in three years and not get injured, you need to be able to squat with perfect technique, specially at our age. You can add small weight if the bar is too little for you.

You can PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

You need to get under the bar, brother.

I used leangains to drop 50# of body fat and strongly recommend. It fits well with your keto diet, is simple, time efficient, and effective, and produces results. Its easy to get started and avoid fuckarounditis with the beginner barbell program.

I have extensive experience with diet set-up, lift set-up, and performance tracking. Feel free to PM me.

Thank you for the input fella's!

I downloaded Strong Lifts 5x5 and look forward to starting a basic routine and learning proper techniques.
My ultimate goal is to get in pristine shape and have a desirable body by my mid-40's. Once I set my mind to something I can crush long-term goals, I just need a decent starting point.

Is the 5x5 program good for someone who just wants to keep a lean and athletic look?

I'd recommend something more along the lines of 5x5 for upper body shit and 5x3 for lower body (like squats).

For most folks hitting the same total volume for lower body as upper body for a long enough time will result in a T-rex like physique.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

My progression through weight programs was this, and all can be found on the web, bodybuilding.com, reddit, etc.

all pro beginner (8 months)
5x5 stronglifts (4 months)
PHAT (6 months)
PHUL (6 months current)

Quote: (05-04-2017 12:09 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  

Is the 5x5 program good for someone who just wants to keep a lean and athletic look?

As long as you have a bar with enough weight to produce resistance secured on top of your traps, anything you do will work to make you stronger. Then what determines if you are lean and athletic will be your kitchen.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

5x5 is perfect for the total beginner, the only thing I would advise at your age (no offense) is to start very light, almost with no weight on the bars at all for the first few sessions. If you're 41 and have never lifted, it might catch you off guard how intense it can be. After a good deadlift session everything on your body hurts. It's tough for a first time lifter at 21, 41 will be a different story. Injuries are your biggest enemy when weight training so go slow.

Do make sure to learn the excercises properly--you can get hurt otherwise.

For that go to startingstrength.com.

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

Admittedly, my ignorance has prevented me from really exploring and doing workouts at the gym. I have an irrational (or maybe rational) fear of looking like I have no clue what I'm doing when everyone else seems like they have their shit down packed, lol.

Whenever I see a fatty out running or doing some other exercise, I always have much respect. I think this is a common attitude.

As for lifts, I tried a couple of times when I was younger but got little results, probably because I had a low protein intake. Recently I started doing a regime. I think it's been for about a month and already people are commenting that I am looking broad etc. I don't know the name of all the moves, but I am doing the following with 7.5Kg, which is now too little.

I do each move on one arm, followed by an (a) overhead tricep extension, followed by the other arm followed by a (b) front tricep extension:

1) curl
2) cross body hammer
3) overhead dumell press
4) shoulder press
5) side lateral raise
6) not sure of the name: raise weight up straight forward and then straight backwards

Then I do any number of 1-6 in any order without a & b.

I do these anywhere between 15-30 reps.

It's missing some moves. Need to throw something into work the chest, but it's a good, easy routine to do until you do some research.

Thanks for all the input!
I started the SrongLift 5x5 program and am very pleased. It's been 3 weeks so far. Granted, I didn't know to include 45lbs for the bar so I've was over doing it the first 2 weeks but I've stepped it back to normal during week 3 and will see how I feel with more weight next week.

I've also been doing Intermittent Fasting and feel great!
Plus, I'm on my 2nd month of my TRT and I can now feel the difference.
I'm super motivated to see this though for at least the next 8 months then reassess.

Quote: (05-06-2017 05:35 PM)gework Wrote:  

1) curl
2) cross body hammer
3) overhead dumell press
4) shoulder press
5) side lateral raise
6) not sure of the name: raise weight up straight forward and then straight backwards

Then I do any number of 1-6 in any order without a & b.

I do these anywhere between 15-30 reps.

It's missing some moves. Need to throw something into work the chest, but it's a good, easy routine to do until you do some research.

OP, please, don't do this routine.

I don't mean to be disrespectful gework, but everything you said is perfect, if you wanna look like the mother of 3 at 45 who's 20 pounds overweight and is starting at the gym with some bullshit program that some bullshit trainer gave her.

You might just have explained it real crappy, but I don't think the base of what you said in reality is good.

You too should give stronglifts a try.

Quote: (05-04-2017 10:11 AM)Plus Oultre Wrote:  

What the other posters say about 5x5 is absolutely correct. To be successful with weightlifting I will give you a couple of tips that without them you will fail 100%:

- Technique must be perfect. Yes. This is the most important and most ignored detail in weightlifting.
- Nutrition must be adequate. All it means is that you eat enough to fuel your body. You work out hard and you eat accordingly. You will lose weight regardless, you will see.
- The focus is always long term. At your current state, you need to be focusing in a year to two objective. Day in and day out. Break it down in smaller objectives if you need to.

This is what I would do. I would spend the next 6 month learning technique, Learn the squat, the deadlift, the benchpress and the overhead press. Do not focus on weight, focus on technique. Check out online videos and learn the technique to a T. Start with the bar weight only, and spend a month if necessary doing technique with bar weight only. This is where I say to focus on the long term. Your first little objective is to learn the technique. If you want to squat 405 lbs in three years and not get injured, you need to be able to squat with perfect technique, specially at our age. You can add small weight if the bar is too little for you.

You can PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck.

This is the approach I've always taken. I haven't been able to maintain it for more than a year or so at a time, but I've gotten stronger, felt better in general, and have avoided injury. I never used a specific program or schedule, just 2-3 times per week. Each session I'd do either squats or deadlifts and then some combination of bench press, overhead press, dips, pull-ups, and bent-over row.

OP, I hope your program is progressing.

These guys got you started out well. I started losing weight and getting back in shape over three years ago and now get really really cranky if I miss even a day or two in the gym. StrongLifts is not an EVERYTHING plan but it sure hits most of the biggies. I've cycled thru months of Stronglifts, moved to Wendler 5-3-1 then back to Stronglifts over the last two years. Today I Deadlifted 300 for the second time in my life (5x) after squating 230, 5x5. I'm down to just over 200 from 265 and fucking proud of the way I look and feel. I'm younger today than I was 5 years ago by far! (I've also restarted playing basketball and am loving being competitive with 20+ year olds, again.)

If you want a little variation, I have really enjoyed using Kettlebells also. The Kettlebell swing is analagous to both squat and deadlift and is GREAT for strengthening your back and ass. Turkish Getups are a diabolical exercise that seem to use every muscle in your body other than your ear-wiggling muscles.

Let us know how your program is going...

BTW - I'm 50+.

"I remember reading an article from the NY Times, where women made significantly more money than their husbands - and one wife was like, "I made 7 figures this year and he stayed home, I'm not sucking his dick" - WIA

Quote: (06-08-2017 02:06 AM)kinnikinik Wrote:  

OP, I hope your program is progressing.

These guys got you started out well. I started losing weight and getting back in shape over three years ago and now get really really cranky if I miss even a day or two in the gym. StrongLifts is not an EVERYTHING plan but it sure hits most of the biggies. I've cycled thru months of Stronglifts, moved to Wendler 5-3-1 then back to Stronglifts over the last two years. Today I Deadlifted 300 for the second time in my life (5x) after squating 230, 5x5. I'm down to just over 200 from 265 and fucking proud of the way I look and feel. I'm younger today than I was 5 years ago by far! (I've also restarted playing basketball and am loving being competitive with 20+ year olds, again.)

If you want a little variation, I have really enjoyed using Kettlebells also. The Kettlebell swing is analagous to both squat and deadlift and is GREAT for strengthening your back and ass. Turkish Getups are a diabolical exercise that seem to use every muscle in your body other than your ear-wiggling muscles.

Let us know how your program is going...

BTW - I'm 50+.

Thx for the input and inspiration!
I'm exactly 1 month into 5x5 and I'm as dedicated as can be. I've been alternating cardio with 5x5 days. So it's basically 3 days lifting and 3 days cardio usually taking Friday's off to go out.
I'm also 1 month into my Intermittent Fasting and a year into my Keto diet.
At my heaviest, I was 327 Lbs, now down to 280! My goal is to get to 225, lean with good muscle mass by this time next year.

If you want to take it to the next level here is the workout I did for weight loss and aesthetics after 1 year of inactivity at 40 years old.

Day 1- 15-20 minutes of Stairmaster
Chest-bench press(Dumbells) 3x10
incline bench press (Dumbells) 3x10
Triceps-Dips-do thirty no matter how long it takes
with as many breaks as you need. Use
the leg assist if you must but your goal
is to do body weight unassisted.
Cable Push Downs-3X10

Day 2-15-20 minutes of Stairmaster
Back- Wide grip pullup- do thirty no matter how long it takes
with as many breaks as you need. Use
the leg assist if you must but your goal
is to do body weight unassisted.
Bent-Over Underhand Row-(Dumbells) 3x10
Bicep- Curls (Dumbells) 3x10
-Hammer Curls (Dumbells) 3x10

Day 3- Leg Day (The most important day for weight loss, you have your largest muscles
In your lower body)
Squat- Do 50 with form , DO NOT WORRY ABOUT GOING HEAVY
UNTIL YOU HAVE FORM! Go nice and slow, use just the bar
if you must-BUT YOU MUST HAVE FORM!
Dead Lift-1X8 WITH FORM-THIS IS THE EXERCISE THAT SEES THE MOST
INJURIES-DO NOT GO HEAVY UNTIL YOUR FORM IS DOWN PAT.
warm up with just the bar, and practice your form.
Day 1=Monday, Day 2=Wednesday, Day 3=Friday-Every other week replace the word Dumbell with Barbell so your workouts do not get stale and for maximum weight loss/muscle gain.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday do the following- 20 minutes of Stairmaster+ 20 minutes of Elliptical. On Sunday, Relax- You earned it.

Delicious Tacos is the voice of my generation....

*Update*

I'm on week 7 and down 18-20 pounds doing IF, Stronglifts 5x5 along with my Keto diet. Noticeable drop in belly fat. I'm sure the Testosterone gel is helping shrink BF as well.

Testosterone gel?

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Quote: (06-23-2017 01:48 PM)heavy Wrote:  

Testosterone gel?

It's a form of TRT prescribed by my Dr. I'm going into my 3rd month now.