rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Proper gym workout for a pure(yes, pure) beginner?

Hey, I'd like to apologize in advance if this subject has been discussed before,

But I would like to know what type of gym workout would be appropriate for a guy who has juvenile arhritis since 14, and a major operation on both of my hips....I'm recovered from it but still take a lot of medication and go to physiotherapy classes...being in a fairly inactive state(besides physio) has done damages to my body...im 215 lbs, 5.8 tall, stopped doing sports because of my arthrtis, and the fat i take seems to go hard especially in my thighs, hips and belly. Never went to the gym in my life(im 20)

Your recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.

StrongLifts 5x5 / Starting Strength. Discussed many times before.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

get the book starting strength. strong lifts is just a recycled tim ferriss-esque reuse of that original content.

read the entire book, do exactly what he says and in three months you'll have incredible results

Should also provide some insight on any dietary concerns.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-10097.html

Are you serious?

Forget starting strength. You need to see a sports doctor or physical therapist before starting any training regime, with a history like that.

You could get an injury that will prevent you from lifting from the rest of your life. It happened to a friend of mine.

if homeboy starts with just the bar, yes 45lbs, he'll be just fine.

Quote: (02-14-2012 06:52 AM)Master Of My Own Kingdom Wrote:  

Hey, I'd like to apologize in advance if this subject has been discussed before,

But I would like to know what type of gym workout would be appropriate for a guy who has juvenile arhritis since 14, and a major operation on both of my hips....I'm recovered from it but still take a lot of medication and go to physiotherapy classes...being in a fairly inactive state(besides physio) has done damages to my body...im 215 lbs, 5.8 tall, stopped doing sports because of my arthrtis, and the fat i take seems to go hard especially in my thighs, hips and belly. Never went to the gym in my life(im 20)

Master of Your Own Domain, I understand immobility due to inflammation caused by arthritis. There is a reason why some old people move slowly and get all hunched over, or can't bend their fingers, and it's not because it's in their head - it's physiological. That is where you are at and if you are taking anti-inflammatory drugs I wouldn't start a strength lifting regime just yet.

Arthritis is an auto-immune condition.

I highly recommend that you get the book "How to Eat Right for Your Type" available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Right-Your-Typ...039914255X

Basically different blood types originated at different times in different parts of the world. O, the oldest, is a pre-agricultural bood type that was the diet of hunters and gatherers. As a result, lectins (a particular protein found in foods) from agricultural products bind to this blood type and cause problems. So does dairy. B blood-types developed later in the Himalayan Steppes and domesticated animals as livestock, so they can handle dairy, but lectins in plants like grains are a problem. So are some meats. A is the post agricultural blood type, and does alright with plant proteins but certain animal lectins and dairy can be a problem. Getting this book is important to know what foods you can and can't eat - some will result in inflammation. One diet does not fit all.

The author also wrote a subsequent book that is more specialized at breaking down your genotype and diet. It is called "The GenoType Diet" and can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/GenoType-Diet-Gene...0767925246

I highly recommend these books. I would also bet a fortune that your intestines are compromised due to eating meats, grains, or dairy that you did not know are in conflict with your body. Anti-biotics and a diet rich in processed foods can also lead to bacterial and fungal infections (candida) and parasites. I would recommend getting these books, testing your blood type (type B's are prone to auto-immune disorders), and getting a sugar test for leaky gut syndrome. If you have leaky gut, IBS, Chron's, or ulcerative colitis, you then need to get subsequent tests for what kind of infections you have - bacterial, parasitic, or candida. Do some searching on it.

The anti-inflammatory drugs you are taking are most likely damaging your stomach lining, liver and kidneys. I would do all I could to avoid those.

Once you get a diagnosis on your intestines you can begin rebuilding them while on a diet that helps you heal and causes no further harm. If it is eliminating starches - you'll lose weight quickly as well. Then it's a lot of stretching and physical therapy, and in a couple of months to a year you could probably plan on lifting weights.

Remember, arthritis is autoimmune, diet and your intestines are key to healing and will solve the problem!

Good luck.

I'm going to step away from the RVF conventional wisdom (which is lift heavy/do cross fit/martial arts and eat paleo/low carb) and suggest you find yourself a strength coach or a trainer that specializes in weigh lifting (not the regular ones that just make you run around and do fake forms of Tabata or HIIT) rather than try to learn how to lift heavy weights by reading a book.

I've got Starting Strength, and it's well written, but you're not going to know how straight your spine is, or whether you're going down far enough on your own. No amount of mirrors will give you the kind of feedback that a trained professional will.

I see plenty of dudes @ the gym lifting heavy with truly bad form. It's only a matter of time before they get injured (and stop working out and start getting fatter than they were prior to injury)

You need someone to make sure your form is right and that you are doing the exercise correctly, otherwise you'll get hurt.

And if you've got the medical issues you have, make sure your doctor and physical therapist knows what you want to do.

I have some routines from the 'encyclopaedia of bodybuilding: the A-Z on muscle building.' Some advice, when you're first starting out, using the low rep. range of 4-6 requires you to use high weights to reach failure. Low rep. ranges are generally not recommended to beginners because your tendons and muscles won't be ready for the high weight. After approximately six months of working out, when your tendons have become accustomed to resistance training, you can go low if that is what you wish.

Execise Sets Reps
Routine A

Squats 3 x 12-15
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-squat

Leg Curls 3 x 12-15
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/lying-leg-curls
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/seated-leg-curl

Standing Calf Raises 3 x 15-20
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-calf-raises

Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 x 12-15
(colloquially known as bench press)
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-bench-press-medium-grip

Chin-Ups 3 x 12-15
(Everyone no what a chin-up is)

Front Barbell Shoulder Presses 3 x 12-15
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-shoulder-press

Triceps Push Down 3 x 12-15
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/triceps-pushdown

Barbell Curls 3 12-15
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-curl

External Rotations 2 15-20
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/external-rotation

Internal Rotations 2 15-20
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/cable-internal-rotation

Crunches 3 15-20
hxxp://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/crunches

Just do this routine 3 times per week with a rest day in between and you'll build muscle. You must watch the videos carefully to have proper form. Executing proper form optimizes muscle gain and significantly reduces risk of injury. Note: Improper form can lead to damage to connective tissue that would permanently jeopardize working out. Also, be very careful with the external rotations these exercises are meant to improve rotator cuff stability and reduce injury. Your rotators cuffs are very important in upper body development.

The blood type diet is about as valid as astrology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet
http://www.skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html

Mr Master,

Losing fat would certainly help reduce the strain on your joints.

I've never done Starting Strength myself, but I understand that progression is faster because you start on heavier weight and you only do 3 sets per exercise instead of 5. If you are healthy individual that may be fine, but with your arthritic joints I wouldn't do Starting Strength.

I would recommend Stronglifts 5x5 (get the free downloadable programme from stronglifts.com), but instead of starting with an empty Olympic bar, rather start with exercising with bodyweight only, and if your body can handle that, then continue the program with a standard bar, which will be much lighter than the olympic bar. Also go up in 2.5 pound weight increments rather than the 5 pounds that the Stronglifts program advocates. Focus on proper technique, don't add weight unless you're convinced your form is right. Slowly adding weight does a couple of things (bearing in mind that muscle is stronger than tendon is stronger than ligament):
- At first, your ligaments take a strain, causing microtears and healing and becoming stronger, meaning your joints become stronger
- Secondly, eventually you start moving a heavier weight and your tendons take a strain and become stronger through a similar process, further strengthening your joints.
- Thirdly, once you reach a stage where your muscles are being challenged by the weight, your muscles will grow, increasing your metabolic rate, burning fat, reducing your weight and reducing the strain on your joints to begin with.

So you may feel a bit silly when you're moving an empty standard bar up and down while everyone around you is heaving weights, but stick to the program and strengthen your joints first. People have had knees tear and tendons snap by not realising this - your muscles are usually capable of moving more weight than your ligaments/tendons can handle, and that can cause rupture. Since your hip capsules where disrupted by surgery, they are probably even more needful of strengthening than the average gym person who can't swallow his pride and start on a low weight.

I would avoid cardio due to the additional strain it will put on your joints. Walking may be useful if you can tolerate it and you don't feel it mashing your joints (Incidentally, the major studies on the effects of exercise on health compared simple walking to being sedentary. Jogging/Running/Cycling have not been proven to improve your overall longterm health over and above walking.)

As for diet, the easiest way to decrease energy intake (and thus to help lose weight) is to cut out starches (bread/fries/pasta/rice/pizza base). Outside of the huge amount of energy they store, they have no nutritional content. Replace them with fruits/veggies/meat/dairy. Starches are only good food for poor people who cannot afford to eat well, because of their high energy content and cheapness relative to real food. Also cut out empty calories like soft drinks - rather drink water or milk.

While the above is definitely not medical advice (that you must get from your own doctor), based on my medical background and personal exercise experience I'd say the above points are reasonable things to consider for your exercise program. Ultimately you need to listen to your body, explore your options and decide what's best for yourself.

If you are very unsure, you can consult a biokineticist for an exercise programme, although it will probably be very conservative and unchallenging, although that may be the best way to start if you've never gone to a gym before.

Good luck!

You should probably to go see a pro first.

Are you in Toronto?

My method caters to people with injuries. The whole point is to go very slow, do 2s down, 1s pause, 2s up reps, and never train to exhaustion.
The book I mention (Convict Conditioning) claims that with enough training in the initial steps of the Big Six, you can heal old injuries and gain strength and flexibility. I think that the book might sound too good to be true (in some respects) but with the easy versions on the Big Six, you don't stand too big a chance of injury.

Basically read my thread

http://www.rooshvforum.network/post-1533...#pid153339

minus the kettlebell training (because that is advanced stuff)

and here's your new Big Six
1. Knee Pushups (or Wall Pushups)
2. Assisted Squat (or standard two-legged squat, go slow so you don't mess up your hips. Clench your knees and cheeks so you don't blow a gasket.)
3. Pullup (Not sure on your upper body)
4. Leg Raise (Or Bent-Knee Leg Raise)
5. Bridge (I actually recommend starting here)
6. Handstands or Headstands (depending on how strong your shoulders/rotor cuffs are)

I'm really curious to hear about your progress if you do try this out. If you stick to the same light and boring routine for a month or so (even if you are strong enough to progress to later stages right away), you might surprise yourself. I have only been doing this for six weeks but I've never felt or looked better. I also used to have knee trouble from rugby but now I can do sprints without any pain.

One thing I have noticed is that though I am only doing one-legged pistol squats with just my own bodyweight, since I'm doing a full rep (my calves touch my ass), rather than a "knees at right angle" half rep (which everyone at the gym says is safer; it's not), my one-rep max on the squat has exploded and my legs have gotten more jacked in the last month than in two years of rugby training. Those last few inches of drop are a huge struggle to get back up from but your knees and quads will thank you in the long run.

I strongly recommend buying Paul Wade's book or finding it in a library or online. He has a second book but it is only really useful once you have progressed through the first.