rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hopeless situation for jobs?

Ok, so I've posted before and if this isn't the right section please move it to wherever it may be appropriate.

About me: American, with a European Union passport. Graduated from one of the top schools in the US (early 2000s) and I'm in my mid-30s. I had a very good academic transcript and majored in...let's just say "a science". Due to personal reasons (got bored of my life in the US and went through a period of wanting to try different things) I then moved to Europe where I have been living for more than 10 years. During all this time, I have not had the need to take on any meaningful or serious job - I've been making a living teaching part time and believe it or not it has made me live pretty well (not like a rich guy, but pretty decently considering the few hours I put into work).

But at this stage I feel that most of my life has been useless from a professional point of view and anyway, I'd like to return to the US (I'm from a city in the Northeast). I've been sending out résumés to job ads on Craigslist and seem to NEVER EVER get a response. Again, I am well-qualified in the jobs I apply to - I speak 3 languages fluently, have a "good" academic degree and DO have professional experience. But I don't know if employers in the US will value my experience or age (or see me more as a hindrance because of my age). As I said earlier, even though I haven't really been doing anything "major" when it comes to jobs, I DO have more than a decade of experience in teaching and have worked in corporate offices before (in the US on and off, brief stints).

So my question is this: what are my chances of even landing a decent job at this point? I've sort of given up the search.

For the record, I look very professional, well-dressed...nothing wrong with me and I do have a "presence" or so they say.

Any thoughts/advice? No, I don't want to start my own business.

Is your number and address listed in your resume a local one?

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (04-03-2017 10:27 AM)Cattle Rustler Wrote:  

Is your number and address listed in your resume a local one?

Yes.

A great website to get feedback on your resume is askamanager.org piles of info on how to interview, resume write and cover letters. Study up bro.

1) What level of jobs are you applying to? If entry level, your age is a big disadvantage. At your age, you should be applying to mid-tier jobs, but then your relative lack of a professional track record is a hindrance. You're not SOL, but mentally accept that your climb is an uphill one.

2) Do you know anyone who spent a decade teaching abroad and successfully made the transition back home? If so, ask them how they did it. I would also reach out to recruiters in your field and see what they have to say.

3) What kind of marketable skills do you have?

In your situation, applying through the front door may not yield results (I think you're already seeing this). I would spend my time attending industry conferences and building a network with the goal of getting someone to recommend or hire you that way. As you said, you look good in person.

I've never been in this situation, but I would imagine Linkedin would be more valuable than Craigslist.

You may have to think outside the box.

Maybe apply for pharma or medical device sales or other non-traditional uses of a science degree.

Quote: (04-03-2017 11:02 AM)Peregrine Wrote:  

1) What level of jobs are you applying to? If entry level, your age is a big disadvantage. At your age, you should be applying to mid-tier jobs, but then your relative lack of a professional track record is a hindrance. You're not SOL, but mentally accept that your climb is an uphill one.

2) Do you know anyone who spent a decade teaching abroad and successfully made the transition back home? If so, ask them how they did it. I would also reach out to recruiters in your field and see what they have to say.

3) What kind of marketable skills do you have?

In your situation, applying through the front door may not yield results (I think you're already seeing this). I would spend my time attending industry conferences and building a network with the goal of getting someone to recommend or hire you that way. As you said, you look good in person.

1. I've applied to both entry level and mid-tier -- entry-level, as you say, it's totally blocked for me. I did get one e-mail back a while ago that was very honest and the recruiter told me "sorry but we're looking for entry level people with no experience. Your experience seems very valuable but this would not be the right job for you". As time passes, I definitely feel my climb is uphill more and more.

2. Honestly I don't know of ANYONE who has ever done the sorts of things I've done. I'm just one of those strange profiles who managed to fall through the cracks relatively unnoticed. I owe no debts and don't even have a credit history in the US.

3. Languages, financial skills (I was a financial analyst YEARS AGO) and a degree in "the numerical sciences" - hint: NOT Engineering...but close to it. I have tons of experience managing teachers and teaching adults and college-aged students. I have also worked in operations division in a public organization in a major US city (but again, more than a decade ago).

Quote: (04-03-2017 11:05 AM)Repo Wrote:  

I've never been in this situation, but I would imagine Linkedin would be more valuable than Craigslist.

I've mostly been applying through CL (a total waste of time it seems) and through my college's alumni career board (again with no luck).

I will be returning to the US in June. Hit or miss, I have decided to return.

Personally I think you are crazy looking to start a career in your mid 30s. How is it possible to compete with people who have been hustling since 22.

You should do your own thing. There are unlimited business you can begin today with little capital. We live in a world of opportunity. Starting a career at your age is definitely negative EV and you will always be behind the curve.

Quote: (04-03-2017 11:24 AM)skptc Wrote:  

Personally I think you are crazy looking to start a career in your mid 30s. How is it possible to compete with people who have been hustling since 22.

You should do your own thing. There are unlimited business you can begin today with little capital. We live in a world of opportunity. Starting a career at your age is definitely negative EV and you will always be behind the curve.

Oh I know it's far-fetched but no harm in trying. I also have some experiences that those people who have been "hustling since 22" DO NOT and cannot have...

I don't have the capital or the interest to start a business...especially not where I live in the US and where there are already TONS of the sorts of businesses that do what I already do. I'd be happy to settle for a normal job just to pay my bills as I look into other things. Also, my skills are still very much in demand because not many people have Math/Science degrees in comparison to other studies.

I forgot to add: due to poor past decisions (and a combination of very bad luck in terms of the way my life had been set up earlier) I don't have any savings whatsoever. I come from a relatively wealthy family but I DO NOT EVER want to depend on them for anything so I'm stuck with myself and no savings. That's why it's at the point where I will just accept any normal job as I pay bills and look into other things.

My advice: become a public/private translatorin the 3 languages you speak and while doing that get certified for stenography. Stenography is a hidden secret that I believe a lot of "stuck" guys in this forum would like. You can make 6 figures if you want to work that much (you choose your own hours), more job openings than ever (you will get job offers within the 1st year of studying), can live anywhere you want and you don't really have a boss. As a lawyer myself, I honestly think court reporters that work for private companies and not the Court system have the better job. It took my relative about 3 years to become certified, and it is not easy to accomplish, but once you have the certification you are absolutely golden.

Quote: (04-03-2017 11:43 AM)phluff127 Wrote:  

My advice: become a translator in the Court system in the 3 languages you speak and while doing that get certified for stenography. Stenography is a hidden secret that I believe a lot of "stuck" guys in this forum would like. You can make 6 figures if you want to work that much (you choose your own hours), more job openings than ever (you will get job openings within the 1st year of studying), can live anywhere you want and you don't really have a boss. As a lawyer myself, I honestly think court reporters have the better job. It took my relative about 3 years to become certified, and it is not easy to accomplish, but once you have the certification you are absolutely golden.

I will definitely look into this! Thanks!

Quote: (04-03-2017 11:06 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

You may have to think outside the box.

Maybe apply for pharma or medical device sales or other non-traditional uses of a science degree.

Medical device sales is only an option if the studied science is heavily related with the health care industry, like biology, or nursing/medecine. If is a graduation eg in Chemistry, Physics or Electronics, forget about that, except if the candidate already has a proven track record in the industry.

It also helps to have previous experience in the business or in a medical facility...and some nice legs to wear mini skirts and high heels...

Since you have experience teaching you should look into teaching math/science either through the alternate route at a public school or a private school. With your degree and teaching experience, this is probably your best bet. Math/science teaching positions are in a demand. Stick with what you know at this point until you get settled. After you have some stable income, you can reassess.

Quote: (04-03-2017 12:13 PM)Dantes Wrote:  

Since you have experience teaching you should look into teaching math/science either through the alternate route at a public school or a private school. With your degree and teaching experience, this is probably your best bet. Math/science teaching positions are in a demand. Stick with what you know at this point until you get settled. After you have some stable income, you can reassess.

Yes. I've thought about this (I'm pretty strict so a public school probably won't do)...but I have had luck landing tutoring jobs. The problem is that most tutoring jobs are part-time and no stable income. I've been sending tons of applications but of course not being in the US now is a hindrance since they are obviously not going to hire me from a distance.

I've also gotten e-mails from people who apparently don't know how to read or can't be bothered since I ALWAYS state in my cover letter that I am NOT in the US at this time and I even got a few e-mails back saying they were interested but then when I asked for a Skype or phone interview, they never responded back which makes me think: either they didn't bother to read the e-mail in the first place and just looked at the résumé OR, they just play with you.

Schools are about to enter their big hiring season. You should be aggressively pursuin teaching positions in private schools.

Most schools are accustomed to locals applying for positions. Remember schools are community based. They are most comfortable hiring teachers from the local community. They generally are not accustomed to applicants outside the country. You may have to get your boots on the ground to give yourself the best chance at securing one of these positions.

Quote: (04-03-2017 12:17 PM)Baldrich Wrote:  

Quote: (04-03-2017 12:13 PM)Dantes Wrote:  

Yes. I've thought about this (I'm pretty strict so a public school probably won't do)...but I have had luck landing tutoring jobs. The problem is that most tutoring jobs are part-time and no stable income. I've been sending tons of applications but of course not being in the US now is a hindrance since they are obviously not going to hire me from a distance.

I've also gotten e-mails from people who apparently don't know how to read or can't be bothered since I ALWAYS state in my cover letter that I am NOT in the US at this time and I even got a few e-mails back saying they were interested but then when I asked for a Skype or phone interview, they never responded back which makes me think: either they didn't bother to read the e-mail in the first place and just looked at the résumé OR, they just play with you.

Unfortunately, companies do this shit all the time to cover their ass in case there is a complaint. They contact a certain amount of people to go through the motions. I've looked for jobs overseas with pretty much zero luck. Unless you have extremely marketable skills, they will require an in person interview.

May I ask why you want to move back to the US? Do your thing overseas...unless you need/want to be near family, etc.

I don't really have much advice to add to the thread but I wanted to let you know my older cousin was in the exact same position you are in several years ago. He taught English abroad in Thailand well into his 30's and when he felt it was time to come back, he had a very hard time finding a way to support himself. I don't know all the specifics, but he didn't have many marketable skills so he managed to find himself a sales job (it was either cars or commercial/construction equipment) and through his own hard work and hustle rose in the ranks to become a manager which he still is today.

There have already been some points made in the thread about finding a sales job, and while I've never been in your situation, that seems to be a good direction to go in.

Quote:Quote:

I personally found this to be the best piece of advice so far in the thread, but I realize it can be hard without any savings or capital to speak of. I think this should be your long-term goal no matter how the next few years pan out. Best of luck.

Quote: (04-03-2017 02:04 PM)Diop Wrote:  

I don't really have much advice to add to the thread but I wanted to let you know my older cousin was in the exact same position you are in several years ago. He taught English abroad in Thailand well into his 30's and when he felt it was time to come back, he had a very hard time finding a way to support himself. I don't know all the specifics, but he didn't have many marketable skills so he managed to find himself a sales job (it was either cars or commercial/construction equipment) and through his own hard work and hustle rose in the ranks to become a manager which he still is today.

There have already been some points made in the thread about finding a sales job, and while I've never been in your situation, that seems to be a good direction to go in.

Quote:Quote:

I personally found this to be the best piece of advice so far in the thread, but I realize it can be hard without any savings or capital to speak of. I think this should be your long-term goal no matter how the next few years pan out. Best of luck.

Thank you.
--------------------
@lastking: Several reasons --

1. I find Europe in general to be a very "stifling" place despite whatever people may say about the (very true) excellent transportation and easily walkable cities which I truly love when compared to most of the US that involves boring driving everywhere.

2. Family reasons are part of it but not fundamental.

Most of my decision is based on the fact that come what may, Europe has basically become a place for old people, there are no real liberties to speak of (not that the US is much better, but at least there is still somewhat more accountability)

3. I'm not exactly a europhile in general...and while I agree the continent is beautiful in many ways and so much cheaper (DEPENDING) on where you live of course...I find my attitude more compatible with American mentality on a wide array of issues.

So those are some of the reasons why (I have many others) but that's a general idea.

I placed an ad on Craigslist for someone do do editing/writing for me on the side for very low pay. I got 300-400 applications per day so I stopped after two days. Just going through them was extremely daunting.

Drazen: what genre of writing, what kind of pay, what caliber of candidate?

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

Quote: (04-03-2017 05:37 PM)polar Wrote:  

Drazen: what genre of writing, what kind of pay, what caliber of candidate?

Proofreading, creating content for books, and so forth. It was a few years ago, ended up hiring a guy with a masters degree in his 50s who had experience writing for TV shows. It was for less than $15 an hour, probably less than $12 as a 1099.