rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Favorite Tasty Low Carb Dishes?

Trying to eat better.

But I like the taste of food.

You guys have any favorite dishes that are low carb, tasty and pretty easy to make? Really trying to keep my carbs under 50g a day. I read that is the limit for cutting.

I love cobb salad and it works well for the 3 categories I mentioned, but I am sure too much ranch isn't a good thing.

Thanks.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I have a few I eat regularly.

I posted about shopksa salad here.

Essentially, at least my version, is tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, avocado, drizzled with olive oil and with feta cheese on top.

Another one I've had lately is stir fry broccoli with steak. Get about a lb of flank steak, 2-4 cups of broccoli, mix the sauce including 1 cup of soy sauce, 2 garlic cloves and 1/2 teaspoon honey, mix in a bowl, fry the cut up bite size steak, add the sauce, then add the broccoli. I sometimes double/triple the doses for leftovers.

I've also recently done this. Get about 12 chicken thighs, 2 teaspoons oregano, 2 teaspoons basil, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper, 4 tablespoons garlic, 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar, 3 teaspoons brown sugar, 3 cups cherry tomatoes, 8-12 oz mozzarella.

Preheat at 410. Season thighs with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Sear both sides of chicken. Remove chicken. Fry garlic for about a min, add vinegar and brown sugar, stir/simmer for 5 mins. Return chicken and cover both sides of thighs in sauce. Place in oven with 2 cups tomatoes for 30 mins. Pull out, add mozzarella slices onto chicken along with 1 cup sliced tomatoes. Cook 5 more mins. Done. Cut out the brown sugar if you like but 3 teaspoons is about 15 carbs but you're also not eating that whole thing in one sitting or eating all the sauce anyway.

As a snack I like having on hand, asparagus wrapped and baked in bacon. I smoke salmon about once per week.

I've done this avocado/steak salad. Get yourself a good looking sirloin. Salt and pepper it. Sear both sides for 2-3 mins(maybe more depending on thickness) and set aside to cool off, then slice it up. Add it to a bowl with lettuce, a few hardboiled eggs cut up, avocados(I use two), cherry tomatoes, mix that bad boy up and throw some caesar on top. Done. Damn good too.

I do tuna salad too. Make some tuna fish and instead of mayo which I despise, I mix the tuna with the romaine, then toss it with some caesar dressing. Then add tomatoes and parmesan on top.

Burgers. Get some nice organic, grass fed ground beef/turkey/bison, grill that up, put a sunny side up runny egg on each, few strips of bacon, then some avocado and tomatoes on the side. Salt and pepper and you're ready to rock.

In general, the shopska with some meat on the side is a go-to meal for me and my most common.

I have plenty more. Feel free to ask if you a few other ideas.

Steak with grilled mushrooms and peppers (no sauce!)

Grilled fish with grilled vegetables

Sashimi

Greek salad

Any stew or soup with vegetables and lean meat

Carpaccio, cheese & olives

I have been loving carbs all my life but ended up just shy off 100kg and really didn't want to break that barrier.
Currently apart form oats and eggs in the morning I just eat a variety of vegetables in the evening. Tastes great and I have no cravings for pasta, rice, bread whatsoever. Already saw 4kg drop in a short time.

There's a few tricks to the various components of low-carb meals.

With broccoli, fragrant sesame oil, fresh garlic (small quantity), soy.

Red cabbage ball - takes several hours to cook, with spices including cloves, juniper berries, cinnamon etc but complements meat dishes several days after.

White cabbage ball - cooks much quicker, is done in perhaps 40 minutes. Add caraway seeds, nutmeg, (green) pepper.

Both of the cabbage types (there are others) require a large weapon of a knife to safely prepare. Many youtube videos about this.

Tomatoes fried in olive oil to go with your eggs.

Possibly not for everyone but I find I can compensate for the lack of carbs in a dish with extra condiments.

Oh bags of frozen peas from the supermarket. You might think it's cheating, but how long would it take to pull all those little balls out of fresh pea pods.. Anyway the advantage here is that peas are one of the few "vegetables" which is high in protein. It's probably not technically a vegetable but it's green. So basically use where you might otherwise use rice, to accompany a meat or fish dish.

Hope something helpful for you here need to expand my own cooking repertoire. The recent article on ROK inspired me too to cut the wheat and bread, has been a while since I've more strictly followed this stuff, but getting back to it now.

Honestly I found baking chicken in the oven with veggies like zucchini, carrots and green beans to be great (or other veggies to your liking). They taste great when you season them with ms. dash or other suitable flavorings, a little bit of olive oil/butter. Also extremely easy to make and healthy.

I try to cook it a little bit slower too to make the chicken a bit more tender and I never cook it directly out of the freezer. It tastes different than stove top cooked chicken and it's less messy too.

Quote: (02-02-2017 06:21 PM)Stadtaffe Wrote:  

There's a few tricks to the various components of low-carb meals.

With broccoli, fragrant sesame oil, fresh garlic (small quantity), soy.

Red cabbage ball - takes several hours to cook, with spices including cloves, juniper berries, cinnamon etc but complements meat dishes several days after.

White cabbage ball - cooks much quicker, is done in perhaps 40 minutes. Add caraway seeds, nutmeg, (green) pepper.

Both of the cabbage types (there are others) require a large weapon of a knife to safely prepare. Many youtube videos about this.

Tomatoes fried in olive oil to go with your eggs.

Possibly not for everyone but I find I can compensate for the lack of carbs in a dish with extra condiments.

Oh bags of frozen peas from the supermarket. You might think it's cheating, but how long would it take to pull all those little balls out of fresh pea pods.. Anyway the advantage here is that peas are one of the few "vegetables" which is high in protein. It's probably not technically a vegetable but it's green. So basically use where you might otherwise use rice, to accompany a meat or fish dish.

Hope something helpful for you here need to expand my own cooking repertoire. The recent article on ROK inspired me too to cut the wheat and bread, has been a while since I've more strictly followed this stuff, but getting back to it now.

Thanks for the info. Which RoK article? I haven't seen it.

Thanks.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Every low carb recipe boils down to vegetable + meat.

Salad mix + ground beef

Chili + vegetables + ground beef

Steak + spinach

Food is FUEL not FUN.

Determine the three or four meals that you enjoy and eat them for the 90% of your meals. Once or twice a week eat sweet potatoes, a hamburger, whatever as a "refeed." Don't go crazy but once or twice a week I'll eat Halo Top and Chipotle not so much for "glycogen stores" just because I'm bored of eating chicken legs and eggs over and over again.

Other than that post on the forum when the sugar cravings hit and you'll get dick skin lean [Image: wink.gif]

Steak

Go to costco, buy a Whole NY Strip. Note how you paid 1/2 of the presliced steak.

Chop, like a loaf into 2 or so inch slices.

Grill with peppers, eggplant etc on the side

While at the same costco, buy a thing of mixed nuts. throw into a food processor, maybe with a little honey.

Perfect with coffee.

Salmon with Roasted Vegetables & Quinoa

Ingredients 4 servings
2 small or 1 large delicata squash (about 1 pound), halved, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 cups cauliflower florets
6 small shallots, quartered
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
1¼ cups water
¾ cup red or white quinoa
1 pound wild Alaskan salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
Olive oil or canola oil cooking spray
Salmon Atlantic Fillets
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Toss squash, cauliflower and shallots with 2 tablespoons oil, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are tender and browned in spots, 20 to 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.

When the vegetables are tender, move the vegetables to one side of the pan and place salmon in the empty spot. Coat the salmon with a thin layer of cooking spray and season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Roast until the salmon is opaque in the middle, 4 to 6 minutes.

Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, lemon juice, maple syrup and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Serve the quinoa, salmon and vegetables drizzled with the dressing and topped with walnuts.

Place a salmon fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.

Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.

This dish has everything you want for a complete meal: omega-3-rich salmon, protein-packed quinoa and lots of vegetables. Drizzled with a maple-lemon dressing, this healthy quinoa dinner also makes a delicious next-day lunch.

Soy-Marinated Flank Steak with Soba Noodles

Ingredients 4 servings
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
Limes Key
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound flank steak, trimmed and sliced crosswise into ½-inch strips
8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
Beef Flank Steak
1 12-ounce package broccoli slaw
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon peanut oil, divided

Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic and ginger in a large sealable plastic bag. Add steak, turn to coat and let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 8 hours.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook, stirring occasionally, according to package instructions, adding broccoli slaw to the pot during the last minute of cooking. Drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a bowl and toss with sesame oil, sesame seeds and the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce.

Heat 1½ teaspoons peanut oil in a flat-bottom carbon-steel wok or large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Remove half of the steak from the marinade and cook, stirring frequently, until desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-high and repeat with remaining 1½ teaspoons peanut oil and the remaining steak. Serve the steak with the noodles.

If you have a little extra time before dinner, put the steak in the freezer for about 20 minutes to help make it easier to slice thinly.

The key is that you can low carb without going no carb. I've done no carb, but eventually your asshole will hate you. You need some greenery to keep things flowing. Remember that Elvis died on the toilet. Don't go out like that. I've LITERALLY been weeks without taking a poo. I'm not exaggerating. WEEKS. That ain't nice. BTW, buy some magnesium pills. It'll help keep you regular. Plus, it's good for bones and muscles and reduces the risk of early stroke and all sorts of great stuff.

Here's a low carb veggie that's nice: Mashed cauliflower with butter and heavy cream is a nice substitute for mashed potatoes. And I think it even tastes better.

It's a total shortcut but Atkins has a breakfast meal called the "Farmhouse-Style Sausage Scramble" that's pretty good. Eggs, sausage, cheese and some onions, peppers and such. 2 sugars and 5 net carbs.

Quote: (02-06-2017 04:13 AM)BrewDog Wrote:  

The key is that you can low carb without going no carb. I've done no carb, but eventually your asshole will hate you. You need some greenery to keep things flowing. Remember that Elvis died on the toilet. Don't go out like that. I've LITERALLY been weeks without taking a poo. I'm not exaggerating. WEEKS. That ain't nice. BTW, buy some magnesium pills. It'll help keep you regular. Plus, it's good for bones and muscles and reduces the risk of early stroke and all sorts of great stuff.

Here's a low carb veggie that's nice: Mashed cauliflower with butter and heavy cream is a nice substitute for mashed potatoes. And I think it even tastes better.

Weeks? I go crazy after a day!
That shit is clearly not healthy....

Steak and eggs
Sasuage and eggs
Bacon and eggs

Quote: (02-02-2017 09:39 PM)ms224 Wrote:  

Steak

Go to costco, buy a Whole NY Strip. Note how you paid 1/2 of the presliced steak.

do you freeze the extra?

Quote: (02-02-2017 03:01 AM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Trying to eat better.

But I like the taste of food.

You guys have any favorite dishes that are low carb, tasty and pretty easy to make? Really trying to keep my carbs under 50g a day. I read that is the limit for cutting.

I love cobb salad and it works well for the 3 categories I mentioned, but I am sure too much ranch isn't a good thing.

Thanks.

I try to have one for dinner a couple of times a week. I'll add 2 hard boiled eggs, sometimes some grated cheese, sometimes some leftover meet like fish or turkey breast.

for the dressing, try just vinegar and oil, or make your own dressing. Personally, I don't like sweet dressings, and to me the key is the vinegar. try some different kinds. Balsamic vinegar is very popular but to me is semi-sweet, so i like red wine or apple cider vinegar.

⅓ cup olive oil
3½ tablespoons vinegar (suggestions: salad, red wine, or balsamic)
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Broiled steak with roasted garlic and crusted with pepperoni. Hits the spot every time.

"You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it." -Monsieur Gustave H, The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Ketosis Datasheet
Diet Update #1

Quote: (02-10-2017 09:05 PM)Ivanis Wrote:  

Broiled steak with roasted garlic and crusted with pepperoni. Hits the spot every time.

Any chance you could elaborate? When I searched, I just got lots of pizza recipes.

Trying to figure out the crusted with pepperoni part. Thanks!

Quote: (02-10-2017 10:02 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Quote: (02-10-2017 09:05 PM)Ivanis Wrote:  

Any chance you could elaborate? When I searched, I just got lots of pizza recipes.

Trying to figure out the crusted with pepperoni part. Thanks!

I'll do you one better. Here is a picture of a porterhouse I did a little while ago:

[Image: DSC_0004.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0020.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0031.jpg]

If you truly want the pepperoni "crusted" than it needs to broil for a while at moderate temp to get it crusty. Personally though; I just take a blowtorch to it and hope I don't burn the shit outta it!

"You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it." -Monsieur Gustave H, The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Ketosis Datasheet
Diet Update #1

Omfg. That looks awesome. Thanks for the pics.

BTW, have noticed some of your other solid posts. So here is a belated welcome to the forum.

^Do you roast the garlic beforehand so it gets all soft and gooey then spread it on the steak like butter at the end?

Quote: (02-11-2017 02:10 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

^Do you roast the garlic beforehand so it gets all soft and gooey then spread it on the steak like butter at the end?

[Image: 47534156.jpg]

Quote: (02-11-2017 01:08 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Omfg. That looks awesome. Thanks for the pics.

BTW, have noticed some of your other solid posts. So here is a belated welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here. As I have mentioned before, all of you guys have changed my life path for the better. Good thing I found this place young, not developing bad habits!

Quote: (02-11-2017 02:10 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

Dealers choice really. If you like it smooth you can, however I like to pan sear mine so I can get some crunch!

Ketosis Datasheet
Diet Update #1

Quote: (02-07-2017 12:23 PM)Hypno Wrote:  

Quote: (02-02-2017 09:39 PM)ms224 Wrote:  

Steak

do you freeze the extra?

Yes, double plastic wrap the extras

Pull them out the day before and leave them in the fridge