rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Can you safely shrink a leather jacket?

I got one pretty nice off Asos.

The style and finish fit me well. Its certainly not top quality leather but good ROI.

The thing is, it was the smallest size and I think its still a bit big on me. See pic for reference.

Im a big believer of the classic perfecto cut, i.e the jacket should not end below the belt, which it does in this case. Sleeves are also a bit long.

I've been googling around a bit and people are actually shrinking their jackets by putting it in how water. Never done this before and the idea of putting leather in water give me a chill... And its not worth the price to take it to a tailor.

Has anyone done this and can tell me if its safe to do so? Else guess I ll just return it but I do really like the thing.

Thanks guys!

Quote:Quote:

Soak your leather jacket in a tub of hot water until it is waterlogged. Alternatively, put it in a mesh laundry bag and place it in the washing machine on the gentle cycle. Just remember that the jacket may incur more wear and tear in the washing machine. Hot water may cause dye to leach out and get on your tub or washing machine. If this is a problem, soak the jacket in cold water.

Let the jacket air-dry on a padded hanger if you soaked it in hot water and do not desire much shrinkage.

Place the jacket in your clothes dryer on low heat if you used cold water to soak it or want the maximum shrinkage. Take the jacket out of the dryer every 10 minutes to ensure it doesn't shrink too much. Once it reaches the desired size, place it on a padded hanger and let it continue to dry in the air.

Use your hair dryer on low heat to dry the jacket if you don't have access to a clothes dryer. Using this method may take longer.

Apply a leather conditioner to your jacket once it is completely dry. This will restore its luster and flexibility while giving it a protective barrier. Apply the conditioner to the jacket in circular strokes until it is distributed evenly. Buff it with a clean, soft cloth.

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

Just get the sleeves shortened at a tailor, usually costs about 40$ in this neck of the woods. I'd suggest you go to a thrift store and pick up a old leather jacket for 5$ and try it out first instead of doing it to your jacket before you try this.

From personal experience, you can shrink a leather jacket about half size to full size depending on the long your place in a dryer. Downside of this method is it will make the jacket zippers out of whack a bit. Here is a link to the The Fedora Lounge guide o how to shrink jacket. Plus its reliable resource for leather jacket care.

Don't do it yourself. You might damage it, because you never did it before. Let a professional do it. It will not be cheap, unfortunately.

Why I am saying this? Because not all leather is the same (calf, goat, sheep...). And the quality is not the same, due to various processes the leather goes through.

Give your jacket a pass. Even if goes below the waist, it looks great with those jeans you have! I have a very similar one (coffee brown), so I can relate somewhat [Image: smile.gif].

Thanks a lot gents, I think I'll leave it be. No point risking this to satisfy some fashion-inspired OCD urge.

On a side note, anyone know a good brand that make XS leather jacket in North America? Budget 1000$

I was in NYC once and tried on a Burberry bomber that fits like a second skin but that bitch marked 2500$. Damn shame cause I was thinking if I dont buy it then who else has the body measures for that beauty.

There are tailors that can alter leather jackets. Much better option than damaging it with water.

I got a custom-fit jacket made out of Italian horsehide from Aero Leather, who makes all of their jackets at a small workshop in Scotland. If you order through a store called Thurston Bros they'll ship you a fit jacket and you can figure out what needs to be lengthened/shortened from that. It's a bit of a wait, but their product is much nicer quality than fashion brands' much pricier jackets, and you should be able to get yours for roughly $1000 or so.

I got a different model from them, but I'd recommend their Seven model, very nice fit with a good collar as well.

Another good company to consider is Falcon Garments, they're a little cheaper and make a high-quality product with a style on par with Saint Laurent Paris, etc. They do custom fit jackets as well as in-stock models (with all measurements on their site.)

I sometimes check out Styleforum.com and one place that gets talked about a lot is Falcon.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/507227/falco...er-jackets

For less than $1000, 800 or so? 900 maybe, you can get a very well fitting jacket. They do half sizes so while its not MTM its going to be close unless you have really long/short arms or torso.

Ive been eyeing one for a while but I live in a tropical area. Only one month a year to wear it.

Quote: (01-10-2017 06:04 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Thanks a lot gents, I think I'll leave it be. No point risking this to satisfy some fashion-inspired OCD urge.

On a side note, anyone know a good brand that make XS leather jacket in North America? Budget 1000$

I was in NYC once and tried on a Burberry bomber that fits like a second skin but that bitch marked 2500$. Damn shame cause I was thinking if I dont buy it then who else has the body measures for that beauty.

Schott makes good ones for around 1000, they fit pretty short, I am 5'11 and my Large jacket is barely long enough... Go with a Bomber style, more versatile than a motorcycle style.

This is XS for example
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/a2-le...2&catID=46

Custom fit for under 1000 sits very well with me. Guess I ll hold off on summer vacation to order one from falcons. Say what you want about material possessions, a well made leather jacket IS happiness.

Meanwhile I guess I ll keep this one. Thanks guys !

call me crazy but I think from the picture it fits you well. hits the shoulder/arm transition perfectly. doesn't appear overly baggy at the waist and leaves a touch of room for layering. if it was a totally casual moto type jacket, I think you'd have more of a point on the waist length, but with those lapels I think it's fine. and the sleeve length looks great for a jacket - it will ride up as you lift your arms and expose more of the wrist.

I would look for a tailor who could handle leather before I tried to shrink a leather jacket. if the sleeves are your biggest concern that should be reasonably straightforward to alter compared to more substantial changes.

Quote: (01-11-2017 03:54 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Custom fit for under 1000 sits very well with me. Guess I ll hold off on summer vacation to order one from falcons. Say what you want about material possessions, a well made leather jacket IS happiness.

Meanwhile I guess I ll keep this one. Thanks guys !

Hey Dalaran I was checking out the Falcon post and they are having a sample sale. I saw one of the jackets is an XXS, Perfecto style with an extra zipper or two, $550.

19. DR1. Black goatskin. Gunmetal zippers. ~Size 42-43 (XXS) - Would fit a guy or girl - $550

http://www.styleforum.net/t/507227/falco...st_8715361

Something to consider. Im not sure your exact sizing.

So funny, I have asked this very same question. I have this BLK DNM jacket below. I bought it a few years ago at the end of the season for half off. Its a $1200 jacket. When I bought it I was 15lbs heavier. The designer made it to fit high and tight, like a 1950's motorcycle jacket. Its a very heavy durable leather jacket, with a heavy leather. Its a little loose now that I lost weight, but fits perfect with a hoodie underneath when its cold. My taylor said he can bring it in around the waist. And there are leather shops that can pull it in, for a cost. Long term this jacket will last decades. If I spend a few hundred keeping it trim, I will do that.

[Image: 262069055_d7ea37e9ff87.jpg]

I bought this Billy Reid, and its perfect now, its tight and trim, and looks great for going out;

[Image: billy-reid-black-finn-suede-bomber-with-...ormal.jpeg]

Guys,relax. Oversized clothes is a hit of season

Quote: (01-11-2017 09:10 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

So funny, I have asked this very same question. I have this BLK DNM jacket below. I bought it a few years ago at the end of the season for half off. Its a $1200 jacket. When I bought it I was 15lbs heavier. The designer made it to fit high and tight, like a 1950's motorcycle jacket. Its a very heavy durable leather jacket, with a heavy leather. Its a little loose now that I lost weight, but fits perfect with a hoodie underneath when its cold. My taylor said he can bring it in around the waist. And there are leather shops that can pull it in, for a cost. Long term this jacket will last decades. If I spend a few hundred keeping it trim, I will do that.

I had my leather jacket altered by some biker leather shop. Cost me about 100€. Was well worth it.

That jacket looks like it fits you perfectly.

"On a side note, anyone know a good brand that make XS leather jacket in North America? Budget 1000$"

On Grailed if you look hard enough you can find either new or nearly new Balmain or Saint Laurent Paris for around 1k, some dude buys them online and it doesn't fit so they post it on there because they can't return it. Those two companies probably make the best looking leather jackets I've seen, Balmain especially with the motorcycle style.

Bodaskins makes good jackets. Ive been meaning to get one of them for a while now but I have so many already

Resident Germany Expert. See my Datasheet:
thread-59335.html

Mini Datasheets: Antwerp / Rotterdam / Lille

Not sure why you were thinking about shrinking it. It fits well.

One thing I have noticed is that the styles in Europe and the US vary greatly. In the US everyone wants bigger, more comfortable clothing. To anyone there, his jacket looks like it fits perfect. But in Europe, smaller tighter fitting leather jackets are the norm.

Just hit the gym and drink whole milk until the jacket fits snug

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

I ended up returning the jacket because It was actually too long. You can see in the pic that the sleeves were bunching up. If I let them hang loose all the way they would cover most of my thumbs!

Got some pretty sick pimp-ass looking blazer instead. I love the edgy look with either a pimped out blazer or a leather jacket, but it just seems like blazer fits me better.

I ll wait until I go to Singapore or Korea to buy some good pieces. I'm size M in Asia but XXS here in the West!

Creepin: well that would make it worse... the jacket were already tight in the waist but too long. And believe me if there s any way to grow taller I would ve tried already [Image: biggrin.gif]

Also, the jacket-shrinking is utter bullshit. I got a real slick velvet shirt with a detachable leather collar. Forgot to took out the collar before putting it in the gentle wash cycle. Shit ended up looking real crumpy. Luckily it's not that noticeable.

Gotta be careful with what you read on the internet these days [Image: lol.gif]

Water on leather isn't too bad, I've thrown my canvas/leather gym bag in the wash because it was getting gross before. The trick is you got to hydrate it after. It's like how some people's skin is dry you need to moisturize. The stuff I use on my leather shoes is Saphir Renovateur, the stuff is like magic. I apply it with my finger because it's so good I don't want to waste any on a polish cloth. You should be able to get that in France Dalaran because I'm pretty sure it's made there.

Theres a guy named the leather doctor if you can find him who has done some crazy things with his products. If you can find him I recommend sending him a email if you have any leather questions. He operates out of his garage and I've personally seen him pull of some crazy things with leather and leather repair. Guy is making a killing fixing rich people's leather goods lol

Check the type of leather. The horse should work well, other types may not at all.
Measure back length, shoulders, sleeves. Write measurements down. Feel how it fits, also if it allows movement. You won't want too much shrinkage. Also keep in mind that when bought from new, the arms will contract from wearing, like half an inch or so, so hwt-ing a brand new jacket can be a bit tricky.
Zip it up, spray with warm water (not very hot, the droplets will cool quite a bit while being sprayed on. I think cold water would do almost just as well). I made sure to keep the lining, cuffs, and waist totally dry.
Spray so it feels pretty soaked, but not entirely through. You may want to spray the epaulets on the lower side as well to prevent it from curling. It will feel quite a bit heavier and very supple. Some people put it on, zip it up and take it under the shower. Probably about the same, but it doesn't allow you to apply water in a more defined method. Mabe, I'm too careful or chicken.
Put it in a pillow cover, put that into the air dryer, get a cycle that's the lowest possible warmth and tumble until fairly dry. No longer heavy, not wet to the touch but still a bit supple. Occasionally check the temperature. Put it on and let the rest of the moisture dissipate through wear and air. Walking, doing things etcetera. The fit can be judged while doing so.
Check measurements. Repeat if necessary, tune dryer warmth to get some extra warmth at defined intervals.
Be very conservative at applying warmth. Some jackets have been mistreated enormously. I wouldn't aim at getting the sleeves shorter by an inch just through HWT; that's when you get to the bubble-type of sleeves and linings that are way too big. Half an inch would be more what I'd aim at.

This is how I did it and it worked well, others may have had different experiences.

Credits: The Phantom Pain Snake Leather Jacket

Dalaran since you're in Paris, there is a free service, courtesy of th Macron government, that can help you with that, they're out in the Champs Elysées every Saturday. Just show up with your jacket and they will shrink it for you.

[Image: e0f4ee42b6fe585ad0e43e96afe76.jpg]

They'll even throw a flashball or two you way to give your new jacket that lived-in look. Very helpful bunch.

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

I have a leather jacket that's a bit similar to this one, except with side pockets instead of plated pockets, in dark chocolate brown, fitted on the waist. Looks great over a turtleneck sweater in winter, or a tee in summer, with a pair of raw jeans over riding boots.

[Image: image-7.jpg]

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

I got an vintage suede racer off ebay.

From the 60's, I got it very cheap, because I want to do a little project. Since most suede jackets are hipster shit these days, I want to modify the crap out of this one to look as custom as I want it to be.

First, it has that ugly knit fabric for a cuffs, waistband and around the collar. The collar knit is easily removed and re-sewn, but I'm wondering if I can just rip out the knit cuffs and stitch it across so it's an open cuff. Same thing for the waistband, but I'm not sure if the leather guy will do it. I suppose I'd have to have the whole bottom taken off which would shorten the jacket about an inch, which is no biggie.

If this goes according to plan, I want to add shoulder panels of contrasting colored suede (like "gun patches" or "hunter patches").