rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vancouver, Canada - Comprehensive Datasheet

Vancouver Datasheet

Intro

What up fellow RVF players? I’ve been meaning to write this post for a long time. I’ve been a long time RooshV reader / supporter since 2011. I’ve lurked on the forums for some time and have gotten a lot of value from previous datasheets which enhanced my trips abroad. It’s time to give back - a comprehensive data sheet on my home town, which is a first for the forums.

A little bit about myself: Asian, 5”6, late 20’s, good style, in shape, relatively well travelled, been in the game for the last 7 years with many memories and experiences. I am a working professional who grew up and live in this city, so I’d like to think that I know what I’m talking about ☺

Overview

Nestled in the Pacific coast of BC, Vancouver is one of the most international cities in Canada. It boasts a lot of natural beauty and draws a big tourist crowd between the months of March-September, when the sun is out. There are also some really scenic hikes nearby such as Joffre Lake and The Chief in the town of Squamish if you’re the outdoorsy type.

During the winter, there is also a lot to do, as the local mountains offer opportunities for skiing, snowboarding and plenty of ice rinks for skating and hockey. Whistler and Big White Resort are also a few hours drive away.

After hosting the Winter Olympics in 2010, the secret is out on this place. As such, there has been a huge influx of foreign capital into the city and the real estate market has taken off like a rocket ship. There is a lot of money in this town, but nobody seems to know where it comes from. They definitely didn’t make it here.

The city is very safe at all times of the day, but visitors are advised to stay away from a two block radius area called the Downtown Eastside, which as one of the worst mental health, homeless and drug addicted populations in North America.

In terms of cost of living, Vancouver is considered quite high, almost but not quite as high as London / New York / San Fran / Sydney levels.

The Culture

Vancouverites are generally laid back and friendly. Marijuana is also de-facto decriminalized, if you’re into smoking pot. Every year on April 20th (420), there is a massive rally outside the Art Gallery. There’s a reason BC Bud is famous.

People here are generally fit and health conscious. Yoga and gym culture is pretty big here. As such, there are many fit guys and gals who are into working out and keeping their bodies in tip top shape.

However, Vancouverites also have a reputation for being snobby and cliquey. In my experience, this has proven to be true. The locals are nice and polite, but breaking into social circles can be really tough. It seems as if people almost go out of their way to avoid making eye contact with you on the streets and definitely seem to shy away from have conversations with strangers, compared to other cities in the world.

The friendliest peoples I have met in Vancouver are people from outside of it; from Vancouver Island, the Prairie Provinces, recent transplants, and international students or expats (notably South Americans).

Vancouver is also an ultra-liberal, left-wing city. As such, there are many manginas / white knights and SJW / feminist types here. It is also one of the cities, which vehemently got up in arms to protest and resist Roosh’s meet up (read about it here: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/02/roosh...artists/).

IMO one of the reasons for its cliqueyness is because the Asians want it to be Hong Kong, the artists / hipsters want it to be San Fran, the actors / film types wish it was LA, the tech start-up scene wants it to be like Silicon Valley North, and a lot of rich people flaunt their wealth, so it’s a bizarre melting pot of sorts.

The Girls

The local dating scene here is notoriously tough for a variety of reasons. Based on my own experiences, the experiences of other well-travelled players and my local dating coach friend, they generally agree on this assessment.

The “6 and 7’s” here can easily be considered 8’s in other parts of North America. There are also a lot of tall / fit / jacked / good looking dudes in this city which enhance its superficialness. Vancouver is also the sugar daddy capital of Canada and there are a lot of rich guys who act as “sponsors” for a lot of the 9’s and dimes here. These are some of the reasons for the local women’s entitlement.

That said, there are also many cute, beautiful women in this city who are down to earth and friendly, provided you have good game and / or social status like anywhere else. Asians, Caucasian blondes / brunettes, Persians, and a small mix of black girls can be found here. There are also a few different types of women you will typically meet: the yoga girl, the gym / active girls, the yuppie, the princess, the artsy / musical girls, etc etc.

Being an international city, it also houses an international variety of women at any given time, whether they are a) Tourists or b) International Students. They are mostly found inside the downtown core during the day or in certain niche clubs.

There is a large community of international students who cycle in and out every few months. The majority of them seem to attend language schools but seem to stick to their language school social circles. They are mostly from Japan, Mexico and Brazil. That said, I’ve also met women from Russia, Colombia and Ireland / rest of Europe who’ve moved here or came for a few months.

In my experience, the international girls tend to be the most friendly, receptive and less flakey than their entitled, snobby local counterparts. Your best bet for meeting these girls is to befriend someone within these circles, hang out in big social groups and then get invited to house parties as I’ve had a lot of recent success this way.

Daygame

The obvious day game spots downtown are on Granville Street (the entertainment district), Robson Street (the shopping street) and Pacific Centre (high end mall).

However, these days it seems like a lot of girls are on guard with bitch shields up while walking down these streets, due to past public scandals and social media public outrages involving pick up artists pushing their boundaries, coming off too aggressive and uncalibrated, resulting in highly publicized “street harassment."

This seems to be the result of many un-calibrated noobs running around, spam approaching every single girl. There also seems to be a huge RSD crowd and their followers mindlessly spam approaching with their retarded “social freedom exercises” and other such antics every weekend.

That said, there is still a lot of room for play for a skilled and charming player. The key to is either open indirect, engaged in conversation and then gauge their interest levels before dropping the IOI, or open direct without coming off contrived / rehearsed and making it seem spontaneous. The London Day Game Model can be used here with good results – especially for intermediate level players and with feminine girls who appreciate masculinity. There are also a lot of attractive international women who will not be as tough to approach as the local women.

Generally, day game here is best during the summer time, with a constant parade of good looking women walking around downtown and other popular spots. In the winters, it’s a real grind to walk around the streets in sub zero temperatures and girls will be a lot less receptive to stopping to talk to you outside. That said, it could still work in malls and stores.

Here are some other less burned out day game spots but less volume:

English Bay: Best on weekends and the summer, where there are Celebration of Lights fireworks. Walk around the beach and its surrounding neighourhoods (Davie Street / Denman Street) for good talent. Lots of locals and tourists alike come here.

Kits Beach: Can be hit or miss. Best on weekends. Mostly locals and students who live nearby. Bring a Frisbee or volleyball if you want to mess around.

UBC: The local world class university campus. It’s a bit out of the way but the talent can be really good during the school year. Just be careful and fly under the radar because security has been on alert after recent public scandals involving PUAS who were spam approaching all the girls. The police have also recently stepped up due to public groping / real sex assaults on women walking alone after dark. Stay calibrated and open indirect to gauge interest levels.

Convention Centre: Can be hit or miss. Best on weekends and during conventions such as comic or anime. The cruise ships park here but they are mostly loaded with seniors and older adults. The seawall along this area could also be good in the summer if you also want to enjoy a scenic walk or bike ride. That said, there are still cute tourist girls roaming around, taking photos and craving adventure. They tend to be a bit harder to find.

Broadway / Cambie: This intersection and the shops (IE Whole Foods, Starbucks) around it are gold. Being a major transit hub, the foot traffic is unbelievable and lots of talent going to and from places during the day. The downside is that a lot of these girls are often in a rush to go somewhere else.

Broadway / Commercial: Similar deal to the above intersection, but in a more blue-collar neighbourhood. The coffee shops and Commercial Drive (Little Italy) just north of here can be filled with artsy, bohemian girls with tattoos who like music (I’m just stereotyping). Has potential but I haven’t daygamed this area too much.

Gastown / Waterfront Station: One of my go-to spots when I get tired of the rest of the Downtown Core. The concentration of attractive women is a bit less, but Gastown is a really unique neighbourhood with its cobblestone streets, Steam Clock (tourist magnet) and restaurants / bars. Also one of my favourite places to go out on the weekends to pick-up or to take a date.

Metrotown Mall: A big indoor mall in Burnaby, a suburb of Vancouver accessible by the Expo / Millennium Line Skytrain. Decent local talent doing their shopping. Best times are late afternoons and weekends.

Oakridge Mall: Same as Metrotown, except a bit smaller and located on the west side of Vancouver. Accessible by Canada Line Skytrain. Decent local talent doing their shopping. Best times are late afternoons and weekends.

Nightgame

The bars and clubs here close at 3am, sometimes 4am on special evenings. It’s just OK compared to the party scenes in Europe and South America, and it’s not even the best in Canada (Montreal and Toronto are better). Best time to arrive is between 10pm-11pm. Things typically peak around 1-1:30am, depending on the venue and then it goes downhill real fast.

Many of the popular venues here make everyone stand outside and line up even though there’s barely anybody inside, to make it look like it’s really happening inside. They do this even in the winter weather so it’s an annoying pet peeve of mine.

Granville Street:

Generally, I avoid Granville Street like the plague as it turns into amateur hour on weekends. It’s a shit-show of jersey shore wanna-bes, fights and drama. All the people from the surrounding suburbs come here to party on the weekends. I think you need a really high energy level game to succeed here at night. If you prefer to act like James Bond, go to Gastown or Yaletown.

That said, there are also tourist and backpacker girls who party here on weekends. They shut down the whole road to car traffic though so there is a real promenade sort of feeling. There’s good bars and restaurants here.

I can only really speak to two places on Granville that I have frequented myelf:

Caprice: It’s a typical two story club with a massive sound system. It’s loud and it’s dark. They have concerts during the weekends here as well. The drinks are moderately priced and cover is $15-20 I believe. I haven’t been here in years but judging from the line ups outside, it’s mostly Asians and East Indians that frequent this place. Not the ideal place to wheel white chicks.

The Roxy: This is a Vancouver landmark and institution. It’s also a bit of a meat-market. It’s a place for all ages (yes, including cougars) and you might spot anyone from professional hockey players to celebrities partying here. It has three bars, with a live band and dance floor. I’ve had some good and bad nights here. Come early before 10:30pm especially on summer nights as the lineup gets really long. It’s worth a visit. $10-$15 cover and fairly priced drinks in the $7 range.

Gastown

Admittedly, I am biased, but I really enjoy Gastown a lot more as do a lot of other locals. People still know how to party here without losing it. It’s classier than Granville but still lively.

The Bourdon: Country bar playing country music. It used to have a mechanical bull in the back that was really popular but that’s been removed. They have two long bars and the place has really good flow. The crowd is mostly 18-24 year old college kids wearing plaid shirts but the girls are pretty if you like white chicks. It’s dead during the weekday so only come on weekends. $10-$15 cover. Cheap beers and standard $7 cocktails.

The Blarney Stone: Decent Irish bar with a friendly crowd. Mostly mixed groups and there are always cute girls here. It’s two floors, each with a bar. There’s a stage and dance floor on the main floor. The second floor has a smaller area to mingle near the bar and a long walkway with booths and tables overlooking the dance floor. There is a live cover band here on weekends. Seems to go downhill really fast after 1am. $12 cover. If you happened to be here on St Patrick’s Day, this place is bumping all day long and is the place to be.

The Cambie: Dive bar under a hostel. Cheap $3 beers with sticky floors and no cover. This place draws an international, back packer, university student crowd with the odd rough / weird local characters and PUAs lurking around. There’s two bars with room to stand, and long table / benches for sitting. I used to really like this place and have done well here because women come here to get laid. It seems to have gone down-hill ratio wise the last two years but still worth a visit on weekends. On Tuesdays they also have beer pong night, which attracts a lot of international students.

The Charles Bar: A good but smaller bar in a V setup and small dance floor. There’s booths and standup tables as well. Mostly slightly yuppie crowd from 25-40 years old that mingle. I like this place because they have a DJ that plays good 90’s hip-hop / R&B / rap on weekends. The staff are also friendly and the bartenders are fast. Good quiet date spot on weeknights. Free or $10 cover depending on how busy it is but the line here moves fast.

The Lamplighter: Decent bar that is one floor but bigger than the Charles Bar. Same 25-40 year old yuppie crowd. They play mix of Top 40's and old school hip hop classics. There’s usually a lineup especially on summer weekend nights. They have two bars and a dance floor. There’s also pinball machines, pool tables and sit down tables. $12-$15 cover and the line can move quite slowly here at times.

The Diamond: More of a date-spot with tables and candles for a good ambiance. Great bartenders who know their craft, really strong cocktails in the $12-$14 range but super delicious. Quiet lively on the weekends and might need to wait for a table.

Others

Biminis: This is a college bar situated in the Kitsolano neighbourhood on W. 4th Ave. It’s got booths, couches, pinball machines and a pool table. It’s best on Wednesday nights where they have college night with cheap pitchers and chicken wings. Good talent but girls tends to stick to their school social circles. That said, I’ve had friends pull from here before.

Red Room: It’s a South American bar / club. I’ve only gone here on Fridays, when they hold “Cancun Nights.” This is their big night and they play latin / salsa music. They have three bars, some tables / couches in the back and a central dance floor. This is when all the South American exchange students and tourists come in their social circles. Decent spot if you want to try picking up some Latinas. $12 cover and $3 house beers.

Library Square: It’s located a large bar / restaurant downtown just inside the massive central library with a dance floor. The service and food is just alright and is real slow on weekends. Their busy nights are Thursdays and Fridays. Thursdays are where it’s at because of their beer / chicken wing specials, and seems to attract a very international student crowd – come before 10pm to avoid a huge lineup.
$10-$12 cover.

Logistics

If you can, definitely try to get an apartment in the downtown core, Yaletown or in Gastown if you have the bankroll. This way, all the nightgame / daygame / date / bars spots will be within walking distance.

If you can’t, the Mount Pleasant neighourhood up and down Main St from E. 2nd Ave to about E. 16th Ave, or Kitsolano area out by W. 4th Ave / Kits beach are also decent options as they are a 10 min cab ride from downtown.

I don’t know many hostels in the city, but I’ve been inside Same Sun Hostel on Granville Street and it seems clean, decent, with cute girls and a good bar. There’s some in the West End as well. I would avoid the Cambie Hostel as it seems grungy and run-down.

Restaurants

Vancouver has countless world class restaurants with a wide variety of cuisine. It’s the sushi capital of the world outside of Japan. Chinese, Thai, Italian, Persian, Mexican, you name it, we have it.

Consult Yelp for more details, but the following are a few of my favourite restaurants around town:

The Keg in Yaletown: Great steaks and lobster for a reasonable price. Ask to sit on the patio if you can.

The Parlour in Yaletown: Delicious high-end pizzas. Turns into a bar on weekends after 10pm or so.

Cactus Club Café in Coal Harbour: Smoking hot waitresses and a massive venue. Food and drinks are just average here, but the surrounding views of the Olympic Cauldron, Stanley Park and North Shore Mountains are awesome.

Tacofinos in Gastown: Delicious tacos here, especially the fish ones.

Café Medina in Downtown: Best brunch in the city. Come on a weekday and avoid on weekends as they have massive lineups. Try the waffles and lavender lattes.

Café Artigiano in Downtown: Best coffee chain in the city with artisan coffees and expressos – found throughout the city.

Marutama Ramen and Hokkaido Ramen: Both located in the West End, reasonably priced and really delicious ramen that’s tops in Vancouver.

Other Splurgy High End Restaurants: Joe Forte’s Chophouse (great happy hour) Gotham’s Steakhouse, Tojo’s and Miku for sushi, Sunday Brunch at the Pan Pacific Hotel.

Sightseeing / Touristy Stuff:

Biking the Seawall – Rent a bike, start at the Convention Centre, to Coal Harbour, around Stanley Park and end up at English Bay. Best done during the summer.

Watching the Sunset – Corny and cheesy I know, but I’m a romantic at heart and the sunsets in the summer on a clear day are stunning. Best done from English Bay.

Celebration of Lights / Canada Day / Pride Parade - Three nights of fireworks celebration in the summer. All three events are quite quite a show and attracts very large crowds in the summer. Worth checking out and soaking in the atmosphere if you happen to be in town.

Grouse Grind – Nature’s Stairmaster in North Vancouver. 60-90 minutes to finish if you are in shape. Bring water, change of t-shirt and enjoy a beer / beaver tail at the top while enjoying the view.

Vancouver Art Gallery – They usually have some sort of cool exhibit going on. Could be a good place to run game too. Go on Tuesday nights as it’s by donation instead of a $20 ticket.

Street festivals – In the summer they usually have some sort of street festival on Granville Street and Gastown with food carts, live music, small vendors so keep your head up for that.

Vancouver Canucks – Nothing is more Canadian than hockey eh? At the time of writing, the team is pretty mediocre but on the bright side the tickets are way more affordable than they used to be. Upper level cheap seats can be had for $50-75 a pop from legitimate ticket resellers. Just be careful of Craigslists frauds as its rampant. It can be a good time and a real Canadian experience to check out an NHL hockey game and grab a few beers to kick back.

Vancouver Whitecaps – In terms of pure sporting experience and atmosphere, the football / soccer is definitely better than hockey these days. The games are a lot of fun but nowhere as crazy or highly skilled as they are in Europe and South America. Sit near the Southsiders(on the south side of the stadium) if you want a raucous experience full of heckling, chanting, flag waving and singing.

Conclusion

There you have it my fellow international players - my in-depth and comprehensive data sheet of Vancouver, BC based on my life experiences and 7 years of going out.

I hope you get some value and intel out of my datasheet. Thanks for the community for providing me with great info all these past years. If any of you are ever in town and want to buy me a beer for my troubles, feel free to send me a PM ☺

Datasheet: Vancouver, BC

This seems to be what I expected out of Vancouver. I'm sure Laner appreciated this sheet as well.

Canadian gals take pride in their "open-mindedness," "friendliness," etc etc..but when it comes to cracking their personal spaces, they tend to be quite cliquish. Exception would be Quebec women whom tend to have that condescending French appearance only to open up some more when proceeding further into a conversation. Quite the opposite of a "friendly" Canadian gal who appears genuinely interested only to abruptly blow you off 2-3 mins in.

I'd focus exclusively on international gals if spending some time in Van city.

Having lived in South America, I can confirm there are some high quality Brazilians that have studied abroad in Vancouver & tend to be cool. These are great people to network with man in case you want to visit them. Seriously...

Mad shout out from one Asian bro to another!

Quote: (01-07-2017 11:43 AM)Brosemite Wrote:  

This seems to be what I expected out of Vancouver. I'm sure Laner appreciated this sheet as well.

Canadian gals take pride in their "open-mindedness," "friendliness," etc etc..but when it comes to cracking their personal spaces, they tend to be quite cliquish. Exception would be Quebec women whom tend to have that condescending French appearance only to open up some more when proceeding further into a conversation. Quite the opposite of a "friendly" Canadian gal who appears genuinely interested only to abruptly blow you off 2-3 mins in.

Having lived in South America, I can confirm there are some high quality Brazilians that have studied abroad in Vancouver & tend to be cool. These are great people to network with man in case you want to visit them. Seriously...

Thanks for the shout out! Always good to see another Asian brother out there [Image: biggrin.gif] Will stop by the Asian Guy Travel Thread some time and drop some intel on my travel experiences abroad so far.

Definitely great call on the networking - even a lot of the guys who study here and run in those international circles are pretty cool. They tend to be more middle-upper class to be able to afford to come live in Canada for a few months. I've made friends who have offered to show me around when I visit their home cities eventually in Mexico and Brazil. It's a great opportunity to make South American friends before you set foot in their country.

Yeah, I've met up for beers with Laner before and he's legit, really knows a lot about Vancouver and Sweden amongst other things. If Laner or any other players from the 604 reads this, feel free to add anything that I've missed.

Quote: (01-07-2017 11:43 AM)Brosemite Wrote:  

Please dont say somthing you just heard or not sure about it.

Canada sucks , but Quebec is the worst province of Canada. I lived in Ontario and Quebec and know what i am saying.

I will not enter in details because it is vancouver topic , but people who lived in Quebec knows that this province is the worst in north america.

^ I made that statement based on the gals I have met from different parts of Canada. I have also gone to Montreal a couple of times as well.

Does that make me an expert on Quebec? Of course not. I am however allowed to say the chicks from that province (ones I've met) are much more bearable than the other cunts I've met from different parts of Canada.

Could you give more elaborate details on chicks from that province instead of just shitting on another member's experience?

It's funny, since I've been in Montreal for a year and 4 months and not once did I see a Quebecois girl with an asian guy. Actually, other Canadian girls are more open to asians and indians unlike here. If an asian guy here gets as much as a hand shake he should consider himself lucky. Come and see for yourself!

Quote: (01-07-2017 09:20 PM)Brosemite Wrote:  

^ I made that statement based on the gals I have met from different parts of Canada. I have also gone to Montreal a couple of times as well.

Does that make me an expert on Quebec? Of course not. I am however allowed to say the chicks from that province (ones I've met) are much more bearable than the other cunts I've met from different parts of Canada.

Could you give more elaborate details on chicks from that province instead of just shitting on another member's experience?

I am very curious to see you in Montreal by the way.

I visited many citcies in Europe , Canada, America . Montreal is by far the hardest city when it comes to gaming girls.

I never been to BC , but i lived in Ontatio before Quebec, Ontario girls are picky but at least more thirsty and they go out more to meet guys than Quebec.

If you really have been to MTL , you will notice how thirsty guys are in this city and how girls are nonchalant ,also girls in Quebec are ashmed to get a ONS. Montreal is the least place when it comes to ONS.

I dont want to be offensive , i go clubbing every week , i never saw an asian or indian getting laid in this city. Even white guys find Montreal very hard.

So please dont say somthing you are not sure about it , i wish people told me this before i took the decision to move here. But i also heard like you that Quebec is heavan but it turned to be the worst place i have been in all my life.

This was a pretty cool thread until the Quebec incel trolls showed up. OP +1 from me, I usually visit Vancouver a couple of times each year, I'm going to try to find work somewhere in BC again this spring. I find Vancouver girls to be surprisingly friendly given that its a big Canadian city, I lived in Victoria for a few months a couple of years ago and found the girls there to be uptight weirdos (hipsters, SJW, eco-freaks). Of course venue selection is important, the down to earth girls I met there were mostly at pubs around Granville and not at packed night clubs.

Quote: (01-07-2017 09:49 PM)casa-nostra Wrote:  

So please dont say somthing you are not sure about it , i wish people told me this before i took the decision to move here. But i also heard like you that Quebec is heavan but it turned to be the worst place i have been in all my life.

Did I once say Quebec is heaven? Stop putting words into my mouth.

I went to Montreal twice around 06 & 07 during work trips to NYC. First was for fun & game though only had a makeout. Second time = just spent time with a family was acquainted with mine's. Haven't been recently so I wouldn't know about how the SJW feminist culture has apparently killed off the city since my last visits, which I enjoyed btw.

Take it for what it is. Yes I haven't been to MTL in ages bc there were just other places I wanted to travel to as seen in my profile given time & money restrictions due to my work/school schedule. I merely made my statement based on my brief experiences in MTL not to mention the Canadian women I've met at home, during my travels, etc.

I'm no expert on Canadian women overall. From my experiences however, many tend to come off as cliquish & fake after the first two minutes of interaction. Other people on this forum may have had different experiences so there ya go.

I'm not responding to further troll comments. If you don't like living in Montreal due to the place not fitting your dating preferences, do whatever you can to find another city that suits them.

Quote: (01-07-2017 08:57 PM)ActiontoKnowledge Wrote:  

Definitely great call on the networking - even a lot of the guys who study here and run in those international circles are pretty cool. They tend to be more middle-upper class to be able to afford to come live in Canada for a few months. I've made friends who have offered to show me around when I visit their home cities eventually in Mexico and Brazil. It's a great opportunity to make South American friends before you set foot in their country.

I know some guys & gals from Latin America that spent time in Van City to specifically study English. Good ppl to network with because they can show you their cities if deciding to visit them...and most of them can introduce you to hot chicks when able to make that trip!

I'm not looking to be ballin... but is Vancouver doable with a $3000 monthly budget (after tax) which includes a $330 monthly car payment? Might have an opening for a move soon... and plan on visiting later this year to check it out

^3k is definitely doable. Solid data sheet OP.

Quote: (01-07-2017 10:18 PM)scotian Wrote:  

This was a pretty cool thread until the Quebec incel trolls showed up. OP +1 from me, I usually visit Vancouver a couple of times each year, I'm going to try to find work somewhere in BC again this spring. I find Vancouver girls to be surprisingly friendly given that its a big Canadian city, I lived in Victoria for a few months a couple of years ago and found the girls there to be uptight weirdos (hipsters, SJW, eco-freaks). Of course venue selection is important, the down to earth girls I met there were mostly at pubs around Granville and not at packed night clubs.

I don't have any approach experience in Victoria to judge, but University of Victoria apparently has an amazing ratio of women to men and has a reputation as a party school. The town empties out when school is out though and is just full of tourists sightseeing and retired people.

I'd add that Tofino on Vancouver Island is worth a visit for the surfer dudes out there. The rest of the towns are also super chill and laid back.

Yeah - venue selection, a high work rate and a bit of good luck will go a long way. You should check out the pubs around Gastown and Main Street in the Mt. Pleasant neighbourhood next time, might be pleasantly surprised [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (01-07-2017 10:52 PM)Brosemite Wrote:  

I know some guys & gals from Latin America that spent time in Van City to specifically study English. Good ppl to network with because they can show you their cities if deciding to visit them...and most of them can introduce you to hot chicks when able to make that trip!

Yup, that's definitely the plan and a really smart way to do it! Social circles are huge in South America and gives access to to girls who otherwise would have ignored you through a cold approach.

Quote: (01-08-2017 12:17 AM)Captain Gh Wrote:  

I'm not looking to be ballin... but is Vancouver doable with a $3000 monthly budget (after tax) which includes a $330 monthly car payment? Might have an opening for a move soon... and plan on visiting later this year to check it out

It really depends on how frugal you are (not eating out, not drinking too much, fancy cocktail dates, etc). It's do-able but you will need to be disciplined about spending and expenses.

A 1 bedroom bachelor pad downtown will set you back about $1600-$1700 / month. You can probably do it for $1000 with a roommate downtown, and less out in the suburbs. With a $300 car payment that leaves you $1000-$1700 for bills and play, which is enough, but don't expect to be putting anything into savings.

I've lived on a $2000 / month budget a few years back, but it was a pretty spartan lifestyle.

Excellent suggestions in the previous posts and I’d like to offer some additional perspective from my time growing up in Vancouver (among other places); for context, I’m a well-travelled consultant that returns to Vancouver a few times a year from my current New York City base to see family and reap the byproduct of the thriving film industry’s deep talent pool.

With a temperate climate, ski hills overlooking a world class port, phenomenal food scene, and top-notch international airport, Vancouver’s reputation as a cosmopolitan lifestyle city is well-deserved.

This stands contrary to the somewhat puritanical alcohol laws that are belatedly catching up; booze is not currently available in supermarkets and is restricted to government controlled/licensed liquor stores with limited operating hours. Be aware these restrictive regulations also apply to hotel room service and they can’t serve booze after midnight, so make sure you’re well stocked ahead of time for nightgame (a mini-fridge is usually available at a token cost if you can’t repurpose the one that’s usually in the room).

Girls you’ll meet downtown tend to be students/professionals and very active (yoga, running, skiing, etc.). Don’t be fooled by loose-fitting athletic wear/yoga attire during the day since Vancouver happens to also be HQ to the Lululemon yoga brand; these same girls can easily be found showing off their banging bods when they're dressed to the nine’s in the evenings for art openings/cocktails.

Given the previous points, I recommend spending the money to stay in the downtown core (i.e. Yaletown/Gastown/Coal Harbor neighborhoods); Vancouver is similar to Manhattan – expensive, but very walkable with an excellent transit system. This is a positive as there are increased opportunities for daygame, and your location is very advantageous for a nightcap!

If you are someone that needs the freedom of having a car readily available but still want to stay downtown, consider the “pay-as-you go” Cars2go car-sharing service as an alternative to spending a fortune on rental fees + daily parking (rates can easily be in excess of $40).

Cars2go is city supported but may not be suitable if you are NFL linebacker sized or easily claustrophobic as the fleet is all European 2-seater Smart cars; they’re great otherwise and are readily available from on-street public parking spots and the phone app is full service (locates nearest car/reserve/unlocks door/end booking).

I’ve had good success with daygame at English Bay, Stanley Park Seawall, coffee shops and happy hour (Steamworks, Black+Blue); at night I tend to prefer edgy and upscale places like these cocktail lounges, gastro-pubs and wine bars:
•Gastown : Chill Winston, Guilt & Company –next door to Chill Winston and is a solid basement lounge with live bands, Fairmont Pacific Rim – very swank hotel lobby bar with live music that draws a mix of out-of-town consultants from the Big 4, cougars and aspiring young professionals
•Blood Alley* : Salt
•China Town* : Keefer, Bao Bei
•Granville : Uva
•Yaletown : Opus, Distillery, Keg (this is a steakhouse chain, and to echo the previous advice the one on Mainland street has a great upstairs rooftop patio), Parlour (definitely a late spot as mentioned above).

*= Make sure you get your bearings and know where you’re going; a couple blocks the wrong way can put you in dodgy areas. If this happens it’s nothing to freak about, just retrace your steps -- you’re unlikely to find yourself starring in a Vancouver version of “The Wire”.

Interesting side-notes: should you end up running into Chinatown’s skid row and happen to be a major Deadpool fan, “No. 5 Orange” is a real legal strip club in the vicinity that also served as inspiration for Bon Jovi’s “Slippery When Wet” album.

If you want to live alone downtown, you'll be looking at rough monthly expenses of:
•older housing rental stock (est. $1800-$2300)
•utilities (est. $200)
•car payment ($330)
•car insurance (government run, could literally be $250-$500 if you don't have experience they'll accept to get the 40% discounts available)
•car operating expenses (parking, gas, maintenance - $???)
•living expenses (medical, clothing, food, entertainment, etc. - $???)
•retirement savings ($???)

I personally wouldn't do it and I think you'll be running a monthly deficit or sitting home playing computer games because you're broke with no money to go out.

Hope that helps!

^^ Solid.

My go to spots as of late:

Glowbal in Telus Garden: Staff there will wing the hell out of ya, the women are top shelf and the bar has some real players with game. My Thurs go to.

Gotham: An old standby, this place has a mobster charm from days of old. Piano bar lounge, tall ceilings, pro staff. A little light on the women, but sometimes its just the right place to kick back with a whiskey and make conversation.

Nightingale: One of my new go to spots. Great plates and cocktails. It also has embraced the lost art of the 'drinking pit'. Basically a spot off the end of the bar where people can drink and socialize when no spots are available at the bar or tables. Women are hit and miss, though did pull a no effort threesome from here a couple months back.

Reflection: Georgia Hotel is my favorite hotel in the city. This place is usually only open in the summer, but this winter they created a winter wonderland rooftop bar that is off the hook. Harder to approach, but a spot at the bar puts you in contact with they model staff and a birds eye view of Vancouvers top talent. Every woman who goes here feels like cuddling. If I give this place a 4 in the summer, its a 5 in the winter.

Well cat's out of the bag on Glowbal. But fuck it we're here to share so: Pierre's in Yaletown.

On the topic of 3K/month living DT: yes it's doable, but yeah your not saving anything and some months you'll have to cut back. A 1 bed unfurnished with no parking and before utilities generally runs 1.5K-2K most places DT.

Vancity's one of those places where you generally have to spend to get traction unless you are in the international student crowd.

Quote: (01-16-2017 06:45 PM)BringitOn Wrote:  

If you are someone that needs the freedom of having a car readily available but still want to stay downtown, consider the “pay-as-you go” Cars2go car-sharing service as an alternative to spending a fortune on rental fees + daily parking (rates can easily be in excess of $40).

Cars2go is city supported but may not be suitable if you are NFL linebacker sized or easily claustrophobic as the fleet is all European 2-seater Smart cars; they’re great otherwise and are readily available from on-street public parking spots and the phone app is full service (locates nearest car/reserve/unlocks door/end booking).

Good call on the Car2Go. Downtown is really walkable and don't really need a car unless cabbing after drinking or something. Since moving downtown, I've sold my car and the take Car2Gos if I need to go somewhere in the suburbs. It's about 40 cents per minute which is pretty reasonable.

Quote: (01-16-2017 07:56 PM)Laner Wrote:  

^^ Solid.

My go to spots as of late:

Glowbal in Telus Garden: Staff there will wing the hell out of ya, the women are top shelf and the bar has some real players with game. My Thurs go to.

Reflection: Georgia Hotel is my favorite hotel in the city. This place is usually only open in the summer, but this winter they created a winter wonderland rooftop bar that is off the hook. Harder to approach, but a spot at the bar puts you in contact with they model staff and a birds eye view of Vancouvers top talent. Every woman who goes here feels like cuddling. If I give this place a 4 in the summer, its a 5 in the winter.

I've always thought of Glowbal as just another fancy restaurant / bar downtown but based on both of your awesome recommendations it sounds like a great spot. Will definitely be checking this out for sure - Thursday nights is the best night to go then?

Heard great things about the rooftop bar here but again, never had the chance to check it out. Great call on the Winter Wonderland thing. The patio might be seasonal from April - Oct. It's definitely very swanky spot with cocktails in the $15-20 range. Sounds like a place to suit up and get a few chill approaches in. Might also be a good date spot?

I received a job offer in Vancouver that would begin in about three weeks and am going to make a decision on in by next week and was wondering if any of you locals could give me some advice. The work will be based all over BC so I'll be on the road a lot but the company wants me to be local and stipulate that I live within an hour of the shop, which is in Richmond. I really want to avoid the notorious Vancouver traffic, so will likely end up living in Richmond to avoid it, what are your guy's thoughts on the area, are there any other areas nearby that wouldn't be too much of a pain in the ass to get to in traffic, maybe 15-20 minutes away? I likely won't have a car for the first two months (don't want to drive mine from Alberta until the snow is gone) so will look for something near a Skytrain station, it looks like Landsdowne and Brighthouse are the two nearest to the shop (industrial park), still a 15 minute drive or 30 hour bus ride, which is ok.

Another concern is the price of an apartment, are rents still sky high or are they better in the burbs like Richmond? I don't need to live right downtown in Gastown or Yaletown (as I mentioned above, I don't want to fight traffic) and I definitely don't want to live in a shitty part of Surrey, I'm thinking $1000-1300 for a studio or one bedroom.

Anyway, thanks for any tips guys, if I do end up in Vancouver this April we should do an RVF meet up so I can meet new people in the city, not that I"m getting bored of pounding beers with Laner yet!

If you go to a club with a group of guys or a big group with a small percentage of girls you will have a hard time getting in at a decent club without paying for a table. Expect to pay $300+ for a small bottle (750ML) with the table.

Quote: (03-09-2017 11:25 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I received a job offer in Vancouver that would begin in about three weeks and am going to make a decision on in by next week and was wondering if any of you locals could give me some advice. The work will be based all over BC so I'll be on the road a lot but the company wants me to be local and stipulate that I live within an hour of the shop, which is in Richmond. I really want to avoid the notorious Vancouver traffic, so will likely end up living in Richmond to avoid it, what are your guy's thoughts on the area, are there any other areas nearby that wouldn't be too much of a pain in the ass to get to in traffic, maybe 15-20 minutes away? I likely won't have a car for the first two months (don't want to drive mine from Alberta until the snow is gone) so will look for something near a Skytrain station, it looks like Landsdowne and Brighthouse are the two nearest to the shop (industrial park), still a 15 minute drive or 30 hour bus ride, which is ok.

Another concern is the price of an apartment, are rents still sky high or are they better in the burbs like Richmond? I don't need to live right downtown in Gastown or Yaletown (as I mentioned above, I don't want to fight traffic) and I definitely don't want to live in a shitty part of Surrey, I'm thinking $1000-1300 for a studio or one bedroom.

Anyway, thanks for any tips guys, if I do end up in Vancouver this April we should do an RVF meet up so I can meet new people in the city, not that I"m getting bored of pounding beers with Laner yet!

A lot of locals call Richmond "Hongcouver," because the majority of residents will be mainland Chinese people, second generation Canadian born Chinese or HK immigrants. As a result of this, there are tonnes of Chinese restaurants, cafes, bubble tea places, shops, etc and signs in that language. Restaurants and cafes tend to stay open later but there's not much of a night life. This can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it. Also has a well deserved reputation for terrible drivers.

I think if you plan to go without a car and want to live in Richmond to be closer to work, it's definitely advisable to live near either Lansdowne or Richmond-Brighouse - both Canada Line Skytrain stations. It's also a hub / the city centre of Richmond with malls, gyms, hockey rinks, libraries, parks etc nearby. There's plenty of amenities and malls nearby that makes it very convenient, and it's a short 10-15 minute skytrain ride to downtown Vancouver. Other parts of Richmond you will need a car because it'll be suburbia.

Richmond is cheaper than downtown Vancouver, but not by much. There's a lot of Asian money there and you will pay a premium to be closer to skytrain, but $1000-$1300 per month will definitely get you a decent bachelor pad. It helps that the city of Richmond recently banned Airbnb, which should ease up the housing supply and prices.

Quote: (03-10-2017 02:24 AM)ActiontoKnowledge Wrote:  

A lot of locals call Richmond "Hongcouver," because the majority of residents will be mainland Chinese people, second generation Canadian born Chinese or HK immigrants. As a result of this, there are tonnes of Chinese restaurants, cafes, bubble tea places, shops, etc and signs in that language. Restaurants and cafes tend to stay open later but there's not much of a night life. This can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it. Also has a well deserved reputation for terrible drivers.

I think if you plan to go without a car and want to live in Richmond to be closer to work, it's definitely advisable to live near either Lansdowne or Richmond-Brighouse - both Canada Line Skytrain stations. It's also a hub / the city centre of Richmond with malls, gyms, hockey rinks, libraries, parks etc nearby. There's plenty of amenities and malls nearby that makes it very convenient, and it's a short 10-15 minute skytrain ride to downtown Vancouver. Other parts of Richmond you will need a car because it'll be suburbia.

Richmond is cheaper than downtown Vancouver, but not by much. There's a lot of Asian money there and you will pay a premium to be closer to skytrain, but $1000-$1300 per month will definitely get you a decent bachelor pad. It helps that the city of Richmond recently banned Airbnb, which should ease up the housing supply and prices.

If you are taking the train, just live in Vancouver in a good area. Thank me later.

I am out to Richmond a few days a week to our factory, and its an easy drive from Gastown. I go against traffic and the roads are clear it takes 30min and I go to Farmsville Richmond. I just leave after 8 or 9am, and make sure I am back over the river by 4pm. The train runs down Cambie which is OK, certainly not as happening as Main St, but without a car its a good option. But the train goes across the harbour to Yaletown anyways, so I would live there. Olympic Village is about 10min walk to the train and is fucken amazing in the summer.

Budget $2k and get on it ASAP. The summer bunnies will be showing up in a month or so and rents will bump up and vacancy will drop to .1%.

Fuck Richmond. Lots of hot Asian girls, but they drive everywhere so its boring. If you had to live in Richmond, stay near the River Rock Casino or Westminster Hwy & #3 (Brighouse). At least there is an Irish pub that gets some sluts, but we are talking 0.01 of what even Main St in Vancouver gets.

Let me help you bro.

if I do end up in Vancouver this April we should do an RVF meet up so I can meet new people in the city, not that I"m getting bored of pounding beers with Laner yet!

RVF meet up in April. Sign me up.

Quote: (03-10-2017 09:56 PM)Swell Wrote:  

if I do end up in Vancouver this April we should do an RVF meet up so I can meet new people in the city, not that I"m getting bored of pounding beers with Laner yet!

RVF meet up in April. Sign me up.

I'm in. Paging @RustyShackleford

I'll definitely be bouncing around BC this spring in April/May, I have a few gigs lined up in the Sunshine coast and later in the Kootenays so hopefully I can make it to an RVF meet up. I've been looking at rentals in Vancouver, they're definitely pricey (1bedroom for $1500-2000), I think I'll make my decision about moving there once I'm in BC in April with boots on the ground.

A friend of mine did mention an upcoming outdoor party that's big in Europe and is coming to Canada for the first time this April, its out near Kelowna and looks like it would be a wicked time. http://snowbombing.com/news/snowbombing-...-all-aboot
Quote:Quote:

Taking place April 6th-10th, Coors Light Snowbombing Canada promises to bottle the unbeatable magic of Mayrhofen and splash it across the majesty of the Canadian Mountains for four days and nights of unparalleled memories. Fill up on pinch-yourself moments. Undeniably epic venues with the richest sounds you'll ever hear up a mountain....This time, in Canada!

Same advice as the above, avoid Richmond!

I think the best spots to live are either Downtown/Yaletown, Olympic village (Cambie area) or possibly Kits.
Its nice to be near the Canada line too if you work in the patch/travel for work.

Only negative on the Olympic Village area IMO is the bar scene....some very nice places but the typical shitty Vancouver layout where everyone is isolated off on their own area.

Kits isn't as great for public transport/skytrain but the beach can be fantastic summertime (as good as a beach in Canada can be anyhow [Image: biggrin.gif] )

I tend to stick clear of Main/Commercial because it seems the further East from Cambie the more Feminist types you come across...

Great datasheet OP...glad no one mentioned Portside either...that place is a shithole!

+1 for a meetup Scotian....I've probably ran into you once or twice in the patch anyway lol

I am spending a lot more time on the farm in Richmond these days, and its not all because of work. I fecken love it.

Had the camping chairs on the dike yesterday drinking beers in the sun. We could see right across the valley, which is lush and exploding with spring life. Smell of the manure and the ocean on the breeze and even fresh snow in the north shore. Got a bit of sun tan too.

Been getting more of our groceries and shit over in Steveston. Its actually a beautiful little fishing village in south Richmond. Lots of fresh sea food. Between our farm and Steveston are a bunch of barns on the back road of the farms that sell fresh veggies, eggs and dairy. Its perfect.

Lots of hot white chicks, hapa chicks, and Asian chicks in Steveton as well.

All this and I am only 30min from my Gastown condo. This city/farm life is the best.