rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best Squat routine

Best Squat routine

Reaching new peaks has been increasingly harder and with most of my competition having at least a T cycle, I've been getting far behind in benchmarks.

I decided to start a new routine, regime, cycle or whatever is called to get to a new PR and stop getting those shitty weights all year round.

I am currently equating around 350 in a good day, which is pretty shitty in comparison to some of my buddies that have been lifting for half the time and already have at least 15-35 pounds more.

I have been reading about Smolov program and it seem pretty rough but quite effective.

has anybody done such program, or do you guys recommend a different one that gets new to that new level of strength.

I am 20 and have been squatting for around 3 years.

Best Squat routine

If youre up for it try the Sheiko routine

https://www.t-nation.com/training/sheiko...werlifting

I'm doing wendlers 5/3/1 at the moment and seeing great results.

Best Squat routine

Squat every day .... 4 to 6 times a week, depending how you feel.

One day go for volume, the next day for a (day) max.

As an example:
Day 1: 315 x 5 x 3
Day 2: build up to a day max, sets of 1 rep

Next round, add 2.5 on each side.
That is the basic. Repeat with same or higher weight. Of course some days you will not be able to do it, so some days you will do with slightly lighter weight.

Also play around and once every two volume day go for 275X14x3, or anything else that you might come up with; if you have been squatting for three years, you know exactly what I mean.

For best results do nothing else, just squats. In this way, you will concentrate your effort on the squat only, work on your form, and give it your max effort each and every day. Give it a try for 4 months.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-14-2016 06:48 PM)Jazzman92 Wrote:  

How's the 5/3/1 going for you? it also seemed like a solid program to start with. Truth is my daily workouts are just not enough and i want to go one step ahead without using test.

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-14-2016 07:02 PM)Plus Oultre Wrote:  

As an example:

That is the basic. Repeat with same or higher weight. Of course some days you will not be able to do it, so some days you will do with slightly lighter weight.

Also play around and once every two volume day go for 275X14x3, or anything else that you might come up with; if you have been squatting for three years, you know exactly what I mean.

For best results do nothing else, just squats. In this way, you will concentrate your effort on the squat only, work on your form, and give it your max effort each and every day. Give it a try for 4 months.

how are your knees holding up with this way of working out? My right knee has been a constant pain in the ass the last couple of months since I received the barbell a bit off when cleaning 265lb.

I usually lift raw, but since I am planning on a program with such intensity I bought a pair of knee straps and will get a belt this week.

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-14-2016 08:04 PM)joecolombia Wrote:  

Quote: (11-14-2016 07:02 PM)Plus Oultre Wrote:  

As an example:

how are your knees holding up with this way of working out? My right knee has been a constant pain in the ass the last couple of months since I received the barbell a bit off when cleaning 265lb.

I usually lift raw, but since I am planning on a program with such intensity I bought a pair of knee straps and will get a belt this week.

I did this for five months at the beginning of 2015, while I was deciding what program to start next. Your knees will hold up well as long as you do the squat with excellent form, and they will actually get stronger (by that I mean the muscles that support them will become stronger.)

You can start the first couple of weeks with lighter (than the ones I listed) weight. Take a long term approach (4/6 months that is) and do not lose sight of your objective, you will increase your max by a lot.

Tips:
It is OK to take a week off after a few weeks.
Do excellent form
Listen to your body (some days, you just don't have it)
Do not hurry
Do excellent form
Make it fun
You need to be really motivated to do this
Play with the program, I didn't want to do any other exercises, but maybe you can take one of your training days and do exercises other than squat

Also, I don't advocate this "everyday" system for any other exercise. If I could do it at 38 years old, you can do it at 20.

Some reading for you:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comment...every_day/

https://bachperformance.com/the-squat-ev...am-review/

https://www.t-nation.com/training/max-ou...-every-day

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

Best Squat routine

I did it raw, actually love to squat barefoot

— Robert Heinlein

Best Squat routine

Main recipe to this.

Squat more frequently+long period of time(3-4months)=Heavier squat.

Another approach may be finding weakness in your squat then work to improve it. If it's one leg then do some single leg work. If it's hamstrings work in Romanian deadlifts, leg curls, kettle bell swings.

Best Squat routine

you'll probably gain 15-25 lbs on your 1rm if you run the smolov jr program 1 time. you'll squat 4 days a week extremely heavy. i've done it several times completely and started it a several other times but wasn't able to finish because mine knees bother me so much.

also look into the hatch program, it's a 12 week program that you BS and FS 2x a week. still pretty gnarly, you'd should get good gains on both

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-14-2016 07:11 PM)joecolombia Wrote:  

Quote: (11-14-2016 06:48 PM)Jazzman92 Wrote:  

How's the 5/3/1 going for you? it also seemed like a solid program to start with. Truth is my daily workouts are just not enough and i want to go one step ahead without using test.

Im not too sure about my one rep max, but I'm hitting more reps now. Three weeks ago I was benching 205 for 7 reps on my last set. I just did 210 for 10 reps today.

Best Squat routine

5/3/1 is also an excellent program for all main lifts. I have used it for a continuous period of 18 months and gained strength constantly; got stuck a couple of time but just went back a little on the weight and took off again. The most strength I gained was in the dead lift. Also, I always skipped the deloading week. It just got boring after a year and a half. So if you have any particular questions in the program, I will try to answer.

— Robert Heinlein

Best Squat routine

Fitness by Penis is the best squat routine

Find it on TPB

Thread ended....

Best Squat routine

I ran 5/3/1 for 2 years and it worked very well. Eventually it stopped working and I needed to switch things up.

Currently, I squat three times a week. One is a competition squat and the other two are some squat variation (e.g. front squat, pause squat, speed squat, tempo squats, pin squats). I rotate the volume and intensity of each. It's working well for me.

What works for one person won't always work for another. However, as mentioned in this thread, volume is important. Like everything else in life, practice makes perfect.

Best Squat routine

I always liked doing 225 10 sets of 6. I was a basketball player and this was always our standard. Follow that up with some plyos and you won't be able to walk the next day.

5x5 is another one of my go-to schemes as well as pyramids with reps of x10, x8, x6, x4, and x2.

For front squats i like doing the "21s" that are often done with arm workouts. Thats 7 reps in the top half of the motion, 7 reps in the bottom half of the motion, and then 7 full reps.

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-15-2016 10:18 PM)hoops330 Wrote:  

For front squats i like doing the "21s" that are often done with arm workouts. Thats 7 reps in the top half of the motion, 7 reps in the bottom half of the motion, and then 7 full reps.

Do you do that with very light weight? It seems like doing that would wreck your knees.

Quote:PapayaTapper Wrote:
you seem to have a penchant for sticking your dick in high drama retarded trash.

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-16-2016 12:57 AM)Tex Wrote:  

Quote: (11-15-2016 10:18 PM)hoops330 Wrote:  

Do you do that with very light weight? It seems like doing that would wreck your knees.

Usually about 50% of my 1RM

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-15-2016 10:07 PM)redonion Wrote:  

I ran 5/3/1 for 2 years and it worked very well. Eventually it stopped working and I needed to switch things up.

Currently, I squat three times a week. One is a competition squat and the other two are some squat variation (e.g. front squat, pause squat, speed squat, tempo squats, pin squats). I rotate the volume and intensity of each. It's working well for me.

What works for one person won't always work for another. However, as mentioned in this thread, volume is important. Like everything else in life, practice makes perfect.

I've been doing 5/3/1 about 10 months now, I love the idea in general of slow gains and bigger weights. While I also have an issue on not having time or energy enough to increase caloric intake, I find that because I'm very slim/fit I think the higher weights allows me to maintain strength and keep HGH to retain the mass required.

I don't even do that much "assistance" exercises apart from the big lifts 4 times a week, so I go in there, get it done, and get out. As you get older (I'm mid 30s) I make sure I'm in the gym frequently, but don't have that much time or patience to try to act like it is as important as some. I'm the same weight and can progressively lift a bit more, so I think it suits my goals.

Best Squat routine

I can make a squat post but it would take me a while to write, also it is hard to program without an overall end goal. As an olympic lifter I squat a lot. Depending on the phase of the year, but my knees do not hurt. One thing is for certain if your knees are hurting with said program you are doing one of three things:

Overloading

Improper technique

Inadequate recovery

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-14-2016 10:32 PM)KsockZ Wrote:  

you'll probably gain 15-25 lbs on your 1rm if you run the smolov jr program 1 time. you'll squat 4 days a week extremely heavy. i've done it several times completely and started it a several other times but wasn't able to finish because mine knees bother me so much.

also look into the hatch program, it's a 12 week program that you BS and FS 2x a week. still pretty gnarly, you'd should get good gains on both

currently ending my first week of the base stage of regular smolov. I did a one week intro and started off.

I have to say, I don't know if its placebo or its because i started taking Zinc, but im feeling freaking strong.

on tuesday i did 3 clean+ 1 jerk with 245 easy, today i had to do 5x7 back squat with 280. accidentally did it with 295 (i know, my math sucked) but i got to do it with ease.

Smolov seems to be a good program so far. im pretty excited to test my new PR in three weeks time. im sure it has to be around 400 by then.

Best Squat routine

[Image: f_ERjY.gif]

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-14-2016 06:39 PM)joecolombia Wrote:  

Reaching new peaks has been increasingly harder and with most of my competition having at least a T cycle, I've been getting far behind in benchmarks.

I decided to start a new routine, regime, cycle or whatever is called to get to a new PR and stop getting those shitty weights all year round.

I am currently equating around 350 in a good day, which is pretty shitty in comparison to some of my buddies that have been lifting for half the time and already have at least 15-35 pounds more.

I have been reading about Smolov program and it seem pretty rough but quite effective.

has anybody done such program, or do you guys recommend a different one that gets new to that new level of strength.

I finished full smolov a month ago, went from 73kg(160pounds) to 82kg(180pounds) bodyweight (out of control bulking) and got my squat up from 155-175kg(340-385 pounds) I had to cut the full program by 4 workouts though, otherwise i think I would've cracked 180kg(400pounds). My squat form definitely improved quite a bit and I am a lot more comfortable grinding reps beltless.

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-28-2016 10:51 PM)bleaknight Wrote:  

I finished full smolov a month ago, went from 73kg(160pounds) to 82kg(180pounds) bodyweight (out of control bulking) and got my squat up from 155-175kg(340-385 pounds) I had to cut the full program by 4 workouts though, otherwise i think I would've cracked 180kg(400pounds). My squat form definitely improved quite a bit and I am a lot more comfortable grinding reps beltless.

Damn, that weight gain is incredible. Did you get to saggy? or smolov helped you gain more muscle than anything else?

It seems like Smolov always has at least a good impact on your form, regardless of the weight you lift.

So far my form has improved quite a lot, although I still use knee wraps after 225 due to my shitty right knee.

Tomorrow is I have to lift again and I couldn't be more excited. The only day that drains your will to lift is saturdays (aka 10x3 day) which is IMO the hardest of all.

Ill keep you posted with my improvements.

Best Squat routine

Quote: (11-29-2016 08:10 PM)joecolombia Wrote:  

Quote: (11-28-2016 10:51 PM)bleaknight Wrote:  

Damn, that weight gain is incredible. Did you get to saggy? or smolov helped you gain more muscle than anything else?

It seems like Smolov always has at least a good impact on your form, regardless of the weight you lift.

So far my form has improved quite a lot, although I still use knee wraps after 225 due to my shitty right knee.

Tomorrow is I have to lift again and I couldn't be more excited. The only day that drains your will to lift is saturdays (aka 10x3 day) which is IMO the hardest of all.

Ill keep you posted with my improvements.
I definitely got fluffier, but a lot of people said that I just look bigger, especially on my lower body. I wouldn't be able to get through this program without bulking like that I reckon. My sleep schedule was on point too.

Definitely use all the gear you need to keep it safe eh, if i don't have my knee sleeves, my knees would've blown out for sure

Best Squat routine

Okay so Ive been doing this smolov routine for a couple of weeks and strength is highly noticeable. Im sleeping much more and i get hungry much quicker. I might be under eating but Im definitely gaining quite some strength. Some of my gym buddies are going to do this routine as well since they've noticed massive strength development in such short time.

On the downside, i feel really heavy while doing cardio or gymnastics related stuff. My lower back seems to be overworked. I started doing chest at least once or twice a week so I start developing my upper body as well and possibly start smolov with bench press in a few weeks.

The guy which I've always compared myself in the gym had a 295 X3PR, i did 5x7 with that same weight.

Best Squat routine

Smolov is awesome. Today i did 295lb for 9 reps, 4 rounds. It was tough on my lower back but my ass and legs are really catching the drift of heavy squatting. The program left me sore and tired for the rest of my workout but I achieved to increase my 2 rep max of power clean.

I actually reached my previous squat clean pr in the 2 rep max and got a 1 rep max power clean for 275lb, which is pretty good for me....

That got my motivation up since the heavy workouts were picking a toll on me.

Im on my last base week, and will test a new PR next week. Pretty pumped about it!