rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Training Muay Thai in Thailand

If anyone is interested in reading first hand accounts of many of the muay thai gyms in Thailand, check it out at this blog:

http://www.fightpassport.com

thanks for the link! i have been reading up on this.. still too much of a wimp to pull the trigger..

Hey YMG,

Are there any other types of camps or retreats in Thailand that you know of. Not Muay Thai, but other types of fitness retreats, self-improvement, spiritual retreats, etc.

Hey Gringoed,

I've looked around for that kind of thing before but the camps I found all seemed like lame tourist trap bullcrap.

I've since just stuck to muay thai with some yoga.

There are definitely people who go to India for that kind of thing.

youngmobileglobal -

Which gyms do you recommend?

G,

It really depends on your priorities.

So far I've trained at these gyms:

http://www.rawaimuaythai.com

http://www.kittanamuaythai.com

http://www.thailandmuaythai.com

I'm currently at the last one - Phromthep Muay Thai.

This camp is everything that I personally want in a camp. There is a strong focus on nutrition and an on-site restaurant with reasonable prices and a wide range of very healthy food that will get me back into shape and have me performing at an optimal level. I am not trying to become a world class fighter and many other people here came for the same purpose - get fit.

What are your priorities? In which city do you want to train?

A couple things I dislike about Phuket are that taxis are a ripoff and the prices for everything tend to be jacked up. However, the WIFI at this camp is phenomenal, it's got everything I could possibly need on site, and it is a quiet place for me to get fit and launch my products over the next couple of months.

Two friends of mine will be opening a gym in Chiang Mai which will have all of the things that Phromthep is currently offering me. However, the prices will be significantly lower at around 17,000 baht a month for housing and training - whereas I am paying 27K baht a month in Phromthep for housing and training. I'm wiling to accept this steep cost in Phuket at the moment because there is no other camp in Thailand, as far as I'm concerned, which has such a solid focus on nutrition. I'm getting a body composition test from an on-site trainer tomorrow and will be tracking my progress with time. As far as I know, there is no other place that serves my specific needs to this degree.

The last place where I trained, Kittana, was highly unstructured. This was good in some ways and bad in some ways - but I tend to benefit more from a structured training environment - at least as far as a muay thai class goes. I would not respond well to someone barking orders at me while I lift weights.

After at least two months here I will probably go and start training and living at my friends' new gym in Chiang Mai. I'll keep you guys posted on how things are developing but, given the partners involved in the venture, I am very confident that they will create a world class gym here that will provide everything you could need.

Again, check out http://www.fightpassport.com

There is a comprehensive run down of many of the best known gyms and many of the more obscure ones in locations all across Thailand.

I love it when living in a tropical paradise for $900/mo is considered "unreasonably expensive." God, I love Thailand.

Yeah, spot on Entropy.

I think anyone who needs to get fit and sort of isolate himself and work for a while, non-Bangkok Thailand is a great idea. Pattaya obviously would be like trying to get work done in a circus.

As far as WIFI and training go, the consensus seems to be that Phuket and Chiang Mai are the best. I personally have had good experiences at Phuket camps, even though everyone complains they are expensive (relative to other places in Thailand, although you will still be living on the cheap).

Entropy, I think you should check out Phromthep.

Any other good gyms in beachtowns that aren't Phuket?

Sure. There are gyms in Pattaya, Krabi, Koh Samui. I'm sure there are plenty of other gyms on other islands too, just do a google search.

Fairtex is in Pattaya and Superpro is in Samui. I know guys who have trained at both and have generally said good things about both. Lots of Swedish tourist chicks in Samui apparently.

---------------------------------------------------------------

My impressions of Phromthep training so far -

This is very similar to Rawai muay thai in that there are a ton of tourists/foreigners and the business has been designed well to both meet their needs as well as crank out a profit. The camp was fairly recently built (past two years or so) so everything is still in good condition. The weight room seems like it was put in no more than 4-6 months ago.

The training is also similar to Rawai.

-Run
-Warmup/Stretch
-3 rounds shadow
-5 rounds hitting bag
-5 rounds on the pads with trainers
-Technique

Everything up to hitting bags is self explanatory. I got some new gloves today (left my other ones in Bangkok like an idiot) and they have been squeezing the life out my hands. I'll be very glad when they are broken in.

The round with the trainer was okay. It was the slowest session I ever had in that I've never hit pads at such a sluggish pace in my life. I was encouraged to hit hard and fast in my last training camp, but here I'm hitting at about 15 percent power and 15 percent speed. I guess they want me to focus on technique in the beginning and figure out where I am before I move on.

It's frustrating to un-learn all the technique I learned at a different camp. I'm being treated like a novice and it's annoying. It's better to have the mindset of a beginner every time you go to a new camp, but I felt like I was being patronized at some points and it was pissing me off.

I was also training on an empty stomach which made me a bit light headed and cranky.

I'm going to be doing a body composition test today and I'll start tracking my physical progression.

I'll say this much - at Phromthep, the conditions are absolutely perfect for me to reach my fitness and business goals. The next two months will be very productive.

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest as I do want to get into a muay thai boot camp upon my return to Asia to lose weight and get back in shape. So keep us updated on how things progress. I can't wait till I return so I'll get some good training under my belt.

Yeah. Don't go to Bangkok to do a muay thai camp and get fit. The air sucks, the camps suck, and you will end up going clubbing all the time and getting distracted. If you are going to party, then yeah sure go to BKK or Pattaya.

If your goal is strictly fitness and work, find a place like Rawai/Phromthep.

One other great thing about Phromthep is that pretty much everyone I've met has been really cool and friendly. So far I've met a bunch of Brits, Aussies, Koreans, Hong Kong, Irish, American, Canadian, Israeli....and I haven't been making an effort to really talk to anyone.

I haven't seen any hotties here though.

I'd like to note that the prices in Phuket are probably 20-30% higher than they were last year around this time. The island is developing quickly and hotels are popping up everywhere. I imagine in the next 3-5 years it's going to be an overrun tourist hellhole (some may say it already is).

I've never seen a hottie in a Muay Thai camp. Only hotties in Phuket are some of the tourists in Patong. I'm not really into Thai women though. I'd encourage guys to avoid Pattaya unless they don't mind shoring or paying. Even in Phuket it's hard to avoid at times. It kind of sucks that it's low season right now, the island feels dead. Most restaurants are always empty.

Sidenote @ YMG: You shouldn't train 2+ hours of Muay Thai on an empty stomach. From the sounds of it, you're following a bit of a paleo diet (low carb), which is good. But you expend so much energy doing Muay Thai, you need carbs to replenish your muscles with glycogen. Otherwise you're going to crash hard one day and it will not be pleasant. Not to mention training like that is catabolic and you'll lose muscle mass as well as fat. If you still want to do low-carb, that's fine, but make sure you still eat carbs (and a little protein) before and after training. Not much, just like some bread or a cup of rice or something. Carbs are only the devil if you sit on your ass all day, which you're obviously not doing.

I may check out Phromthrep. Where is it? I'm staying in Kata still. I'd join a Muay Thai gym again, but right now I'm focusing on bulking up for the next 2-3 months, so Muay Thai doesn't really fit into those plans right now.

Thanks for the advice Entropy. I am following a very healthy diet over here, although not quite Paleo. When I trained the other day my sleep cycle was screwed up and I decided to do morning training on a whim without realizing I hadn't eaten.

Phromthep is about 100 meters from Rawai beach. It's the same area where Rawai MT is.

I can see your issues with muay thai. MT is def not good for bulkers.

I'm probably going to be heading in your direction in the next week or so to do some shopping at TESCO Lotus or something. Is there something like that around where you are in Kata?

Quote: (08-09-2011 08:30 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Thanks for the advice Entropy. I am following a very healthy diet over here, although not quite Paleo. When I trained the other day my sleep cycle was screwed up and I decided to do morning training on a whim without realizing I hadn't eaten.

Phromthep is about 100 meters from Rawai beach. It's the same area where Rawai MT is.

I can see your issues with muay thai. MT is def not good for bulkers.

I'm probably going to be heading in your direction in the next week or so to do some shopping at TESCO Lotus or something. Is there something like that around where you are in Kata?

Nope. Unfortunately not. Closest one is in Patong. I head up there a couple times a week for groceries. Luckily the weather's been great, because it's a nice drive.

Get your phone upped man, and we'll grab a bite or something. If you're not motorbiking, I can come to you.

Yeah definitely I'll get my phone reupped today.

I'm scared to motorbike in Thailand, I know people who have died doing that.

I have been sleeping on this topic, great info YMG.

Just few questions YMG, i would be glad if you could help me out.

What is the best training camp for someone who wants to stay fit and then go party and fuck lots of tourist girls?

I heard Koh Phangan is perfect for meeting and fucking girls, do you think i can find a good training camp there?

In terms of fitness, my goal is to bulk up a bit more, gain more strength and i wouldnt mind training muay thay during that time. Do these camps usually give you a personal trainer in order to help you bulking up, gaining strength, etc, if not how can i accomplish that if they dont have a personal trainer there? Do these camps usually have weight rooms?

Thanks

Unless you eat like an ox, Muay Thai and bulking up are going to be mutually exclusive goals. Pick one or the other.

Yeah Entropy is right, You are not going to simultaneously bulk and cut while doing 4-6 hours of muay thai a day. Pick one or the other.

These camps usually DONT have a trainer around. Phromthep is the closest I've ever had to having a nutritionist/trainer on site. Most of the time it's just muay thai classes with Thai trainers who barely speak English and then you're on your own.

Another thing - if you want to get fit then get fit. Don't party. I can say that because I was trying to do both in Bangkok, failed miserably, and came to Phuket to isolate myself and not get back into that scene.

Some of the gyms have weight rooms, usually the more tourist oriented ones such as Rawai and Phromthep. So far I really think Phromthep is the best camp that covers all the needs of someone who is specifically focused on fat loss.

Then again, my two friends who are opening a muay thai camp in Chiang Mai are going to basically create the ideal training facility with weights, nutrition program, fat loss program - basically everything you would want. I think they are going to be launching in three months or so.

If you want to get fit, get your priorities straight and stay away from partying.

I got a body fat composition today. Wow, I am a fat fuck.

I might have to extend my stay at this place longer.

What do you guys think would be a solid boot camp before doing one of these things? I am a pretty typical American white boy. I have been to several European countries and a few trips down south.

I think before I ever did something like this, I would want to start making changes here.. to lessen the culture shock.

Culture shock isn't the issue at the Muay Thai camp. Most of them are full of westerners anyway and the trainers are really accommodating. Thailand in general will be a culture shock, but nothing you can't handle.

As far as prepping yourself for Muay Thai training? Just get in good cardio conditioning. Muay Thai is exhausting. Lots of running, push ups, sit ups, etc. You will get very, very tired if you've never done anything like that before.

As far as losing fat. It's 80% diet. Between April 2009 and June 2010 I lost 35 lbs and went from about 27% BF to 14% or so. It was almost all diet. Most of that weight loss came in the last 4 months too, when I switched to a low carb diet. There's a saying in the fitness community: six packs are made in the kitchen. And it's true. Big biceps are too. Study up on nutrition and then start making the small, boring, unsexy choices every day: do eat this, don't eat this, skip dessert, don't drink, order vegetables instead of french fries, etc.

Yeah nutrition is huge. That is the reason why I went to Bangkok, did a shitload of muay thai, and got FATTER.

He's also right about prepping yourself - before I went to Rawai last year, I was doing a ton of spinning classes which got my cardio levels pretty high. That helped me a lot when I first got to camp. I think it takes a month just to break your body in and get used to training in a place like Phuket before the real fat loss begins.

I really fell off the wagon in BKK. Not sure why I thought I'd be able to focus on fitness and nutrition there.

Entropy, it took you a 14 months to lose 35 pounds? Were you really pushing at it?

I'm starting at 25% BF which is less than 27% but basically still pretty fucking hefty.

Any of you athletes and trainer types out there:

My diet:

-Breakfast - Oatmeal/Whey
-Snack - fruit/protein
-Lunch - stir fried chicken breast, veggies, brown rice
-Snack - fruit/protein
-Dinner - same as lunch

Exercise:

AM - Run and 1.5 hours muay thai

PM - Run and 1.5 hours muay thai or weight lifting

How lean can I get in 3 months with this regimen?

How about 6 months?

Yes I know, genetics and many other factors make a difference. I just want to get a ballpark idea from people who have been there, done that.