rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Jose Fernandez dies in boating accident

This is just sad news. I just saw him pitch at a Marlins about a week ago and he as dominant.

One of the best young stars in the game and only 24 years. He was headed for a $200 million dollar contract and was also expecting his first child.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17632...g-accident

Quote:Quote:

Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez was killed in a boating accident in Florida early Sunday morning.

Spokesman Lorenzo Veloz of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said in a news conference Sunday that Fernandez, 24, was one of three males killed in the accident.

The Coast Guard arrived to the scene at around 3 a.m. to find a 32-foot boat upside down on a jetty off Miami Beach. Two of the victims were found dead under the vessel. One was found dead in the water. None of the deceased were wearing life vests.

Speed is suspected to be involved in the accident because of the impact with the jetty, Veloz said. There is no evidence of alcohol or illegal drugs involved.

The Marlins announced that Sunday's game against the Atlanta Braves has been canceled.

"The Miami Marlins organization is devastated by the tragic loss of José Fernández. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very difficult time," the team said in a statement.

Fernandez's upcoming start was pushed back so he could pitch against the Mets. He probably would not have been on that boat if he was scheduled to pitch today.

It is not clear yet if alcohol was involved but Saturday night in Miami, one can only speculate at this point.

Tragic. At a loss for words. It was so fun watching him pitch: he was dominant, energetic, and full of life and enjoyment on the mound.

It's a reminder guys, that you can have you're future mapped out perfectly but we only have today.

As a huge Met fan, when he was on the mound we expected to lose the game. He was a fun pitcher to watch. I hate to hear news like this. He was probably doing major damage with women down in Miami. RIP

"To be underestimated, is an incredible gift." Rackham

It is a really heartbreaking loss. The guy, without a doubt, was one of the up and coming stars in the game.

That's terrible.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/09/25/jose-ferna...ath-crash/

That picture looks like it was a Scout something. Whenever I hear stories like this it makes me wonder how I've lived through all the stupid shit I've done on boats. These guys probably weren't even screwing around.

Aloha!

Another pitcher, too. Kile, Adenhart, Fernandez in the past decade or so.

Such a talent, too.

Baller

He only made 650k this year. On the verge of a 200 million dollar contract, his family probably won't get much money at all since he hadn't signed a big contract yet.

Quote: (09-25-2016 06:48 PM)Disco_Volante Wrote:  

He only made 650k this year. On the verge of a 200 million dollar contract, his family probably won't get much money at all since he hadn't signed a big contract yet.

He also had that 5 Hour energy commercial. Not sure what he got paid for that.

I think his last start was when he out dueled Tanner Roark of my Nationals- 12 strikeouts if I'm not mistaken. Tanner gave up one run, which is usually all the fish needed with Fernandez on the mound. He threw the best breaking ball I have ever seen, even better than Justin Verlander when he was at the top of his game. What an amazing talent.

Here was a guy who escaped Cuba (after a few failed attempts, even being sent to jail for it) ready to cash in and earn more money for his family than he could possibly have dream of, all over in an instant.

2016 has been an awful year...

I think it is safe to say that alcohol and speed were the contributing factors along with inexperience.

[Image: 5610171635049938d185313f8f1461e0]

What a horrific tragedy. I usually don't care when a celebrity dies, since I didn't know them and thousands of people die every single day, but as a huge baseball fan, this legitimately makes me sad. Dude hadn't even entered his prime yet and was already an elite, dominating pitcher, easily top 10 in baseball and perhaps top 5. No matter how much of a badass you are, it can all come crashing down in an instant.

https://streamable.com/xq35

Emotional moment.

Quote: (09-27-2016 03:04 AM)Peregrine Wrote:  

https://streamable.com/xq35

Emotional moment.

I hate that the cynic in me thinks Colon gave him that.