rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

These are the best and worst countries in the world for making friends

These are the best and worst countries in the world for making friends.

What are you guys think of this? I wonder if it's accurate. Share some of your experience.

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Those lists are the biggest pile of horseshit I've seen in a while.

xD, thanks for the feedback. lmao.

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

France is not good for making friends, especially Paris, if you are an expat.

I would say that US (quick friendship but easily broken), Canada, Ireland, Spain were the friendliest nationalities i came across while i was traveling.

Interesting how Mexico and Columbia came in 4th and 5th place since people are always talking about how dangerous they are. For people that have went to these countries are people really that friendly? Is it a friendliness were they are playing a long con to screw you over (to rob you, get a cartel to kidnap you etc.) or are they genuinely nice? Do you have to constantly be on guard in these countries or can you relax and not worry about why someones being nice?

^It depends on their social class, weathy people don’t need a gringo’s money so its best to hang out with those types although I do also have some friends in Colombia who aren’t wealthy and don’t try to scam me. Its happened though and I just tend to avoid them if they do. If you do social activities like language exchange, dance class, MMA, etc it’s pretty easy to make friends there and build a social circle.

Taiwan #1, stopped reading there. That's the most racist country I've traveled to as a white person. Bartenders will be extremely rude to you and I even was ignored for service in a few restaurants.

Looks accurate. Basic latin people are friendly. I've always found that to be true.

Quote: (05-19-2018 08:08 PM)Shimmy Wrote:  

Taiwan #1, stopped reading there. That's the most racist country I've traveled to as a white person. Bartenders will be extremely rude to you and I even was ignored for service in a few restaurants.

I think you are being a bit harsh.

Locals are willing to make casual friends if you have common interests(and a common language), there is very little individual hostility if you are seen dating a local, and the laws are applied equally and fairly if you have the right paperwork.

The sensationalist media can blow things out of proportion if there is a foreigner involved, and like the rest of the world there are some small-dicked racist internet warriors. Case in point, the whole CJayride firestorm.

This is my experience as a tall red-headed foreigner. It might actually be harder for locals to make new friends as they tend to be closest to their mates from primary school, (or NS, or uni). If you don't look Asian then you'll be exempt from this.

Likes denote appreciation, not necessarily agreement |Stay Anonymous Online Datasheet| Unmissable video on Free Speech

It's hard to believe 81% of expats have a degree... I would have guessed more like 50%.

But then again... apparently the average expat is in 40s and 50s... lot of time to get a degree even travelling.

Apparently USA, United Kingdom etc have lower quality of life than Mexico, Thailand and Cyprus. Taiwan first is a big, big joke.

There's no way you can make friends as easily as implied in the list in NZ and Phils so I'm guessing the list is totally bogus. To be generous I'm assuming this is how "friendly" people are as strangers or acquaintances. But forget it if about deeper connections.

Quote: (05-19-2018 11:30 PM)The Catalyst Wrote:  

There's no way you can make friends as easily as implied in the list in NZ and Phils so I'm guessing the list is totally bogus. To be generous I'm assuming this is how "friendly" people are as strangers or acquaintances. But forget it if about deeper connections.

That is correct. I find it much much easier making friends in the US and most of my closest friends here are American (or Fil-Am) expats.

I don't have a single local friend in the Philippines. They all think I'm encroaching on their turf, sexpatting or whatnot and actually go out of their way to stay away from me. When they do talk to me, they are either trying to size me up or shake me down with some painfully goofy ass smile. When you meet a new person and the first question they ask is "Is your girlfriend Filipino?" or "How much is your rent?" you can pinpoint their motives.

You can make friends here, but they are radically different, more of the introverted or free-thinking types instead of the loud, boorish variety. It's the culture here to be polite, but you shouldn't conflate that with being 'friendly'.

Maine and Canadian lobsters are the same animal. Prove me wrong.

Quote: (05-19-2018 11:54 PM)Il Bersagliere Wrote:  

When you meet a new person and the first question they ask is "Is your girlfriend Filipino?" or "How much is your rent?" you can pinpoint their motives.

Lol those questions really get annoying after a while and it really makes me dislike them, this is what is most annoying about developing countries. People always talk about how nice and happy people are there but they're only being nice like that to get something out of you. I much prefer the straight up nature of the states and other developed countries.

It's tough in Ukraine, many guys friendly just because they want something from you, English practice, translations, business advice

I hate expat advise columns but here we go.

Central/ South America looks friendly, and it probably is, honestly. But, it can be tough there.

I'm an expat in eastern europe, people are really friendly, but it's all subjective in some way... The power dynamic and all that...

Let's re-frame, this way: don't hang out with expats (but maybe hang out with them if they can help you in business or solid-life advise). But understand you can get far with locals if you make a commitment to the language/ culture, etc.

Quote: (05-20-2018 04:49 AM)pargan Wrote:  

Quote: (05-19-2018 11:54 PM)Il Bersagliere Wrote:  

When you meet a new person and the first question they ask is "Is your girlfriend Filipino?" or "How much is your rent?" you can pinpoint their motives.

Lol those questions really get annoying after a while and it really makes me dislike them, this is what is most annoying about developing countries. People always talk about how nice and happy people are there but they're only being nice like that to get something out of you. I much prefer the straight up nature of the states and other developed countries.

I disagree, somewhat. People seem legitimately much happier in sunny climates with relatively open social cultures (e.g. Central/South America) versus ex-commy countries in Europe where the weather is harsh, people are scowling by default and basically yelling at each other all the time. Language/culture barrier is definitely a factor as well. Some cultures are more social circle cliquey and are apprehensive about inviting foreigners into the group. In the case of Budapest the language barrier creates logistical issues and you're more inclined to hang with foreigners. In Poland the men can be very protective of their women and not very likely to invite you into the group.

The biggest factor is if you are somewhere that foreigners are rare and/or you come from a country that people hold in high esteem. People will be genuinely curious, pumped (or confused) that you chose their country and often just want to make a good impression. It's the more touristy places where the hustlers are fake nice to sell something and the locals are closed off and tired of travelers (Barcelona comes to mind). In places where there are few foreigners there isn't much of an agenda or racket developed around fleecing them.

List seems pretty accurate at the bottom, hard to find friends as a foreigner in Scandinavia and I can see the same being true for Switzerland and France. To me it's always easiest to befriend Americans.

The easiest country is probably an unexpected one: Germany

Germany has a very strong "Vereinskultur", meaning that there are clubs for basically anything imaginable.
As we all now that real friendships are formed over repeated interactions with a common goal / interest, one could imagine why a strong club culture could help. Just pick one or two things you are interested about, google "xxx Verein" or "xxx Club" and you are set.

Colombia

A lot of people may view you as a money bag

But most are generally very easy to talk to/"real"

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)

Poland is definitely one of the worst countries to make local friends.

I yet have to meet another member or foreigner who had made a bunch of local polish friends.

What about Monaco? at least it's likely your new friends will have cool toys.

Think about when you were a kid.... you hang out with the kid that had the gokart, 4 wheeler, Trampoline, Swimming pool, all the Gaming Consoles and the parents that let you run wild as long as we all kept our mouths shut.

I treat my adult friendships as an extension of my childhood ones.

Quote: (05-23-2018 09:08 AM)nola Wrote:  

What about Monaco? at least it's likely your new friends will have cool toys.

Think about when you were a kid.... you hang out with the kid that had the gokart, 4 wheeler, Trampoline, Swimming pool, all the Gaming Consoles and the parents that let you run wild as long as we all kept our mouths shut.

I treat my adult friendships as an extension of my childhood ones.

I-I did?

Quote: (05-22-2018 07:43 AM)semibaron Wrote:  

Germany has a very strong "Vereinskultur", meaning that there are clubs for basically anything imaginable.
As we all now that real friendships are formed over repeated interactions with a common goal / interest, one could imagine why a strong club culture could help. Just pick one or two things you are interested about, google "xxx Verein" or "xxx Club" and you are set.

I only spend short times in Germany, but people were not as "friendly" that in other parts of the world, and even foreigners living there for a long time find that was easier to make friends with other foreigners than with Germans.

"What is important is to try to develop insights and wisdom rather than mere knowledge, respect someone's character rather than his learning, and nurture men of character rather than mere talents." - Inazo Nitobe

When i´m feeling blue, when i just need something to shock me up, i look at this thread and everything get better!

Letters from the battlefront: Argentina

Quote: (05-23-2018 10:45 AM)Mekorig Wrote:  

Quote: (05-22-2018 07:43 AM)semibaron Wrote:  

I only spend short times in Germany, but people were not as "friendly" that in other parts of the world, and even foreigners living there for a long time find that was easier to make friends with other foreigners than with Germans.

Germans aren't friendly at all. However, just because somebody is friendly to you in a 10min encounter doesn't mean he or she is your friend. I think we agree, that friendships are formed over the course of multiple encounters and common interests. That's why the club culture is so great.

I'm from a 600(!) people village and we have clubs for soccer, tennis, table tennis, music, wandering, voluntary fire fighters, theatre, and carneval. If that's not enough for you, the next village, which is a 5-10min car journey away, might offer Jujitsu, hunting, (beach) volleyball or bowling. The options are limitless, especially in big cities. Combine this with a general good command of English and culture that's close to the Anglosphere and one should see why Germany is a good country to make friends.

I say, people who don't make good friendships in Germany are either really introvert, don't know about the club culture or just lack interests. And no, work, travel and banging hoes aren't sufficient "interests" (although there might be clubs for this too).

So again, think about what you are interested about and google "city, hobby, Verein/Club". Something like "Frankfurt Basketball Verein" or "Augsburg Badminton Club".

In theory, the second best country to make friends would be Japan. The Japanese have a strong club culture for about everything similar to the Germans. However, language and culture barrier are usually too steep.

I never understood what the deal is with these clubs in Germany. Why should I need to join a club if I want to meet people?

Quote: (05-23-2018 11:32 AM)semibaron Wrote:  

.. we have clubs for soccer, tennis, table tennis, music, wandering, voluntary fire fighters, theatre, and carneval. If that's not enough for you, the next village might offer Jujitsu, (beach) volleyball or bowling.

I'm not interested in any of these things above in the least. Yeah right I'll join a bowling club ..

That's the thing with Germany, many people need some kind of "official" structure where they feel like they are "allowed" to meet new people.

If the club culture is the only way to meet people in Germany I'll pass.

My verdict: The US is the best place to meet new people by far.

Quote: (05-23-2018 11:32 AM)semibaron Wrote:  

Germans aren't friendly at all. However, just because somebody is friendly to you in a 10min encounter doesn't mean he or she is your friend. I think we agree, that friendships are formed over the course of multiple encounters and common interests. That's why the club culture is so great.

I'm from a 600 people village and we have clubs for soccer, tennis, table tennis, music, wandering, voluntary fire fighters, theatre, and carneval. If that's not enough for you, the next village might offer Jujitsu, (beach) volleyball or bowling. The options are limitless, especially in big cities.

I say, people who don't make good friendships in Germany are either really introvert, don't know about the club culture or just lack interests. And no, work, travel and banging hoes aren't sufficient "interests" (although there might be clubs for this too).

In theory, the second best country to make friends would be Japan. The Japanese have a strong club culture for about everything similar to the Germans. However, language and culture barrier are usually too steep.