rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Surprising New Evidence Shows Bias in Police Use of Force but Not in Shootings

Quote:Quote:

A new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.

“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than 1,000 shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.

the rest of the article is in the link below
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot....html?_r=0

Quote: (07-15-2016 10:43 AM)frenchcorporation Wrote:  

A new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.

“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than 1,000 shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.

the rest of the article is in the link below
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot....html?_r=0

Is this really a new thread topic? Seems like there are quite a few threads on this topic. If it is a new thread topic then what makes it so?

Substantively, the study does not sound surprising, but it is likely you could find studies showing bias in actual shootings, too, so I don't really find the study or this thread topic to be compelling in any kind of way.

This study is of high interest precisely because a black male is carrying it out.

A smart and successful black man ran the numbers and realized that BLM and the media are full of shit.

This is a huge victory for sane and rational people everywhere. Unfortunately, identity politics exist. If some white dude said this, he would be discredited by the equality warriors. But since it's a black guy, the results will speak for themselves.

It's kind of like how you need a woman like Ann Coulter to call out feminist bullshit.

Common Filth had an interesting comment on his latest podcast; namely, that he can understand the motivation behind BLM because at the end of the day, they're angry because they have no power or influence in society. They just have to take whatever they get.

What they don't realize is that it's exactly the same for most White people.

I'm learning how to get at least some power. In the last six months I have spoken with four judges, two city council members, three candidates for state house of representatives, the leading candidate for county DA and have been a delegate to the state Republican convention. How? Mostly by just showing up. It really isn't that hard.

I am seriously considering running for office in either two years or four years. Which office? I don't know yet, it needs to be a race where I stand a reasonable chance of winning.

Quote: (07-15-2016 11:28 PM)chicane Wrote:  

I'm learning how to get at least some power. In the last six months I have spoken with four judges, two city council members, three candidates for state house of representatives, the leading candidate for county DA and have been a delegate to the state Republican convention. How? Mostly by just showing up. It really isn't that hard.

I am seriously considering running for office in either two years or four years. Which office? I don't know yet, it needs to be a race where I stand a reasonable chance of winning.

Showing up to what?

Actually if you read the study it shows that whites are more likely to be shot in an officer-citizen shooting scenario.

Not by much, but enough that it should not say there is no bias.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

This study just popped up on my newsfeed today and I'm shocked that 1) the researchers actually released their study findings and 2) the New York Times thought that it was "fit to print".

This study destroys the entire BLM movement.

Well it probably won't in reality, but for any rational, sane person it does. It also makes the recent deaths of police officers all the more tragic and pointless, because it is all a fiction. All lies and hysteria propogated by the media and power-hungry "activists".

The quote storm is referencing in the post above:

"In shootings in these 10 cities involving officers, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white. "

#whitelivesmatter

This study won't change anyone's mind. Studies have lost their cachet. They are just some academic's truth.

Everything is posing and posturing today. It used to be just the pols and the pundits. It has filtered down to the masses, and everyone has a platform that can potentially go viral.

Studies mean nothing. No one cares about them.

Pick the phrase that speaks your truth:

Black Lives Matter.

All Lives Matter.

Blue Lives Matter.

Then find a study to back it up.

Onward!

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

This study does not tell me very much I hate to say. NYC has had heavy handed police force issues for as long as I have been alive. That city does not reflect the rest of America in any way shape or form.

Look at this for example:

2,165 use hands on blacks
for every 10,000 stops
in New York City

Where else in America are you going to see such a ridiculous high number like that, of police officers that have to put their hands on someone? Maybe Los Angeles or Chicago?

I know cops around my city and some can still count on one hand how many arrests they have made this year. I bet if I did my own surveys it may not be anything near this high.

Also, how many of these people are homeless? Any sizable city with large homeless populations have situations where they get stubborn or obstinate with police and they have to be handled and released when the local shelters/centers get them to take their medicines. We have some that dance in water fountains butt naked just so they can get a meal at the jailhouse, but often times they just drop them off at the local shelter.

Last time I went to NYC a homeless dude was shouting at people so much he even managed to get people to walk around him (normally they ignore them). He tried to come after me but some woman walked between he and I and he couldn't be bothered to chase after me. Now if the police came up to him, you think they can just "talk sense into him"?

Raw data and analytics like this can only tell you so much. Everyone wants to get so excited about their huge IBM systems and Watson parsing data that they forget that the data is only as good as the collection methodology itself. You can even see some of the recent backlash against analytics guys in MLB and NFL from some managers and coaches. You cannot blame them, the stuff is expensive and doesn't really help as much as you would like it to.

IT nerds would sell you a digital mirror if you thought it made your penis or breasts look larger.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.