rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cooking vegetables: Yeah or Nay?

Do you think it's better to cook vegetables or not? And if so, which techniques are better than others? I've heard that cooking (esp. boiling vegetables) can denature them quite a bit, but they're definitely much tastier cooked.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

When is the last time you ate a raw onion?

I tried that when I didn't want to bother cooking about a year ago or so, that quickly answered my question about cooking vegetables.

I eat onion raw onion all the time. I don't eat a whole onion, but I eat raw onion a fair bit.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

The problem is that most people drastically OVERcook vegetables. Boil them to death. Bake them until they become vegetable jerky. Etc.

Blanching is a good way to cook many vegetables, although I wouldn't go the full-retard and insist on using ice water in the second stage. Cold water from the tap is enough.

Personally I think the point is that the vegetable has to be cooked/sterile on the outside but only hot enough to retain life on the inside. To me that's the sweet spot. It gives it the cooked texture with a bit of crunch and retains the vast majority of the flavour.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

When I cook broccoli it's almost like blanching.

I put about 1.5 inches of water in a sauté pan. Once boiling, throw in broccoli. It cooks for a minute, two at most, with lid on, until dark green.

Take it to the sink and use the lid to keep the broccoli in the pan while emptying out the water. Then put it back on the flame and toss in some Olive oil, minced garlic, and salt. Stir it around. Turn off the flame. Done.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

All of the above. Raw, steam them,boil em.....mash em, put em in a stew.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I typically either grill or sauté in olive oil with salt and pepper, its simple quick and tasty. Should be cooked al dente so its not mush.

If you must cook them, use a microwave.
When you boil you lose the nutrients in the water.

The best way is to juice them. Mike CF has an entire site about juicing vegetable and how much more benefit you receive compared to traditional cooking methods.

Microwave fantastic for veggies

OP check out this thread by the RVF food master Veloce thread-44950.html