rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

1 month in Saint Petersburg, Russia
month in Saint Petersburg, Russia
I've been on the forum for over a year now, learned and benefited a lot from the forum. Thought it's time for me to post my first thread as I'm going to live and study in Saint Petersburg for a month, starting tomorrow.

A little background: I am originally from China and right now I'm a college student in California. I'm 5'9, fit/a little on the muscular side (I play rugby in college), good fashion sense, spend a lot of time on clothing and shoes, probably the flyest asian you will see, decent-looking (Chinese people always say I’m good looking), English&Mandarin native level, French conversational level.
Well travelled for my age, been to most countries in Europe except for Spain, Portugal, Iceland, countries south and east of Hungary. I usually travel with a couple of friends, stay in airbnb. Last summer(Budapest-Prague-Wroclaw-Krakow-Oslo-Stockholm-Helsinki) was the first time I seriously picked up and gamed girls. Ask me any questions about China or countries I’ve visited like Hungary and Czech Republic.

This time, I'm going to Saint Petersburg to study Russian as a beginner.
Why Russian:
1. I love learning new languages. I have this goal to be fluent in 4 languages before I graduate from college.
2. As Roosh said, Russian is a useful language girl wise. I'm looking forward to the opportunities Russian opens up for me.

I'm going to a language school doing an intensive Russian program for 4 weeks, 4.5 hours a day. I don't know how much time and effort I have to and want to put in yet, but one thing for sure is I will be exploring the city and going out. Maybe a weekend excursion to Moscow as well?

I will try to update daily or every other day in here. If you have any suggestions on places and restaurants I should check out, drop them here. Also, I’m down to meet up, hmu. I will be in spb/Moscow from 06.04-07.03

Btw, if I like how this first thread turns out, I might do another thread on Budapest/Montpellier, France as I will be studying abroad in those two places next year.
Welcome to the forum, I look forward to reading about your experiences.
Quote: (06-03-2016 11:20 AM)d_hzy Wrote:  

I've been on the forum for over a year now, learned and benefited a lot from the forum. Thought it's time for me to post my first thread as I'm going to live and study in Saint Petersburg for a month, starting tomorrow.

A little background: I am originally from China and right now I'm a college student in California. I'm 5'9, fit/a little on the muscular side (I play rugby in college), good fashion sense, spend a lot of time on clothing and shoes, probably the flyest asian you will see, decent-looking (Chinese people always say I’m good looking), English&Mandarin native level, French conversational level.
Well travelled for my age, been to most countries in Europe except for Spain, Portugal, Iceland, countries south and east of Hungary. I usually travel with a couple of friends, stay in airbnb. Last summer(Budapest-Prague-Wroclaw-Krakow-Oslo-Stockholm-Helsinki) was the first time I seriously picked up and gamed girls. Ask me any questions about China or countries I’ve visited like Hungary and Czech Republic.

This time, I'm going to Saint Petersburg to study Russian as a beginner.
Why Russian:
1. I love learning new languages. I have this goal to be fluent in 4 languages before I graduate from college.
2. As Roosh said, Russian is a useful language girl wise. I'm looking forward to the opportunities Russian opens up for me.

I'm going to a language school doing an intensive Russian program for 4 weeks, 4.5 hours a day. I don't know how much time and effort I have to and want to put in yet, but one thing for sure is I will be exploring the city and going out. Maybe a weekend excursion to Moscow as well?

I will try to update daily or every other day in here. If you have any suggestions on places and restaurants I should check out, drop them here. Also, I’m down to meet up, hmu. I will be in spb/Moscow from 06.04-07.03

Btw, if I like how this first thread turns out, I might do another thread on Budapest/Montpellier, France as I will be studying abroad in those two places next year.

Looking forward to a new Montpelier thread.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"
Don't know about Petersberg but I remember reading of a Chinese guy in Siberia, more specificaly Blagoveshchensk, who said that he had had a few Russian girlfriends there (and eventually decided that he would ultimately marry Chinese). Good luck.

Russian as a language is very difficult, but it has a clear logic to it. It's not easy to get used to in a month.
Also a fellow Asian guy who visited St. Petersburg December 2013. My data on this place starts with the first post and the follow up posts below that:

thread-25422...#pid609559

For ritzy venues (Buddha or Paradise Café), face control can be a serious issue so I'd recommend even arriving slightly before 10 PM or making a dinner reservation to guarantee entry.

Let us know how it goes!
This is my report from last year:

thread-49204.html

I am interested in hearing about specific nightlife places as there seems to have been a lot of change from reports 2-3 years ago. Keep us posted.
@Brosemite @Dantes : Thank you for the reports.

First impression on the city and the girls:

spb is a beautiful city and everything is really neat. As for the girls, before I come here, Budapest imo has the best girls in terms of variety and sheer level of attractiveness, but spb easily beats it. I noticed that there are more girls here with both cute face and great body, compared to eastern european countries like Hungary and Poland. Also, girls are a little bit taller here and I see a lot of 8s and 9s who have the whole model package. Overall, I definitely agree with members from the forum who mentioned before that Russia is the place to be if you are into blondes with green/blue eyes. Maybe Ukraine is better, I will have to find out. For now, Russia/spb is my no.1

Online game: I agree with Dantes. Online game does seem like a bust. I pipelined a few girls a week before my arrival and they are flakey. Girls on the streets are much hotter than those on tinder anyways.

Basically this afternoon I checked out Galeria and Stockmann (2 big malls) and opened up girls with my fav line which goes like —excuse me, I’m so lost. I’m looking for ——— um, your number. Of course, in Russian. Most girls politely said no. I guess it’s a different kind of humor. Due to the limitations of my russian, I couldn’t do anything more than that today. I’m wondering what kind of approach people use to pick up girls with only English. I definitely need to incorporate that into my game.

I got my one-month gym membership at World Class for 5200 rubles/80$. It’s got all kinds of facilities like swimming pool, basketball and squash court. It’s kinda funny that as one of the only 2 people who can speak English at the gym, the manager (a 9) couldn’t understand most things I said.

Girls’ English level is a little lower than I expected. People don’t seem to want to speak English, at least for those I interacted with today. Overall, I feel like being able to speak Russian is a huge factor when it comes to game in Russia.

Tonight I am prob gonna check out Santa Barbara/Radiobaby since it’s closer to where I’m staying. I will keep you guys posted.
Quote: (06-04-2016 01:41 PM)d_hzy Wrote:  

@Brosemite @Dantes : Thank you for the reports.

First impression on the city and the girls:

spb is a beautiful city and everything is really neat. As for the girls, before I come here, Budapest imo has the best girls in terms of variety and sheer level of attractiveness, but spb easily beats it. I noticed that there are more girls here with both cute face and great body, compared to eastern european countries like Hungary and Poland. Also, girls are a little bit taller here and I see a lot of 8s and 9s who have the whole model package. Overall, I definitely agree with members from the forum who mentioned before that Russia is the place to be if you are into blondes with green/blue eyes. Maybe Ukraine is better, I will have to find out. For now, Russia/spb is my no.1

Online game: I agree with Dantes. Online game does seem like a bust. I pipelined a few girls a week before my arrival and they are flakey. Girls on the streets are much hotter than those on tinder anyways.

Basically this afternoon I checked out Galeria and Stockmann (2 big malls) and opened up girls with my fav line which goes like —excuse me, I’m so lost. I’m looking for ——— um, your number. Of course, in Russian. Most girls politely said no. I guess it’s a different kind of humor. Due to the limitations of my russian, I couldn’t do anything more than that today. I’m wondering what kind of approach people use to pick up girls with only English. I definitely need to incorporate that into my game.

I got my one-month gym membership at World Class for 5200 rubles/80$. It’s got all kinds of facilities like swimming pool, basketball and squash court. It’s kinda funny that as one of the only 2 people who can speak English at the gym, the manager (a 9) couldn’t understand most things I said.

Girls’ English level is a little lower than I expected. People don’t seem to want to speak English, at least for those I interacted with today. Overall, I feel like being able to speak Russian is a huge factor when it comes to game in Russia.

Tonight I am prob gonna check out Santa Barbara/Radiobaby since it’s closer to where I’m staying. I will keep you guys posted.
St. Petersburg is a tough place to get laid regularly. I think we can al agree on that.
So I checked out Santa Barbara last night. I got there around 2, it was pretty empty. People started coming in around 2.30-3. I really like the setup of the place. There is a karaoke room and the main room. The nice thing is there is an outdoor area next to the main room where people smoke and girls chilling on bean bags and taking selfies. If you smoke and speak Russian, it would be a nice place to socialize.

The girls are a little on the older side. I wanna say no university girls. Almost all the girls are in heels and in groups. The dj was alright. There is a dance floor but it was like girls are enjoying themselves while guys standing there just watching.

I opened a few sets but the conversation didn’t go anywhere. At that point, I was exhausted from the jet lag so I left around 3.30. On the way out, I checked out another club PRODJ and it was dead.

Overall, Santa Barbara is pretty good. I can imagine myself having more fun with friends from the language school when the school starts, if I ever go back.
Been thinking about a trip to Russia myself. Looking forward to hearing more so I can decide between Moscow and SP
A quick update:
Russian is hard, the learning curve is weird, unlike French. I could say something to girls in Russian but it's impossible for me to understand her.

So far, I've seen < 5 black dudes, < 5 asian dudes. On the streets and in metro, I would get some looks from the girls, but no smiles.

The talent on Nevski Prospekt is unparalleled.
Quote: (06-08-2016 12:23 AM)d_hzy Wrote:  

A quick update:
Russian is hard, the learning curve is weird, unlike French. I could say something to girls in Russian but it's impossible for me to understand her.

So far, I've seen < 5 black dudes, < 5 asian dudes. On the streets and in metro, I would get some looks from the girls, but no smiles.

Logistically, it is great for Daygame. However, it wouldn't say it is the best talent I have seen. Good enough though.

Thanks for the update.
Solid report. It's always great to see new RVFs drop intel like this.

good fashion sense, spend a lot of time on clothing and shoes, probably the flyest asian you will see,

I'll have to challenge you on that. [Image: tongue.gif]

Last summer(Budapest-Prague-Wroclaw-Krakow-Oslo-Stockholm-Helsinki) was the first time I seriously picked up and gamed girls. Ask me any questions about China or countries I’ve visited like Hungary and Czech Republic.

Damn, I did much the same circuit last year. We could've met.

Have you thought of visiting cities in between St. Petersburg and Moscow? Yaroslavl, Pskov and Novgorod would be worthwhile.

I was pretty blown away by the talent in Budapest, and I've lately had a preference for blondes, so I'll have to give SPB a shot.

I imagine St. Pete's to be cosmopolitan enough that you wouldn't really come across as exotic. Did you find that to be the case? I'm probably similar looking to you but taller, people sometimes think I'm Eurasian (I'm not).

I was almost disappointed that I didn't really turn heads throughout EE. In the Baltics, people even spoke to me in Russian automatically as if they thought I was from there. [Image: icon_question.gif]

Seems like SPB daygame falls far short of what you can enjoy in Poland and Estonia. Good work on your confidence in gaming in Russian.

Would social circle game beat daygame and online as a way to approach in SPB?

I was under the impression that Russians are better in English than Ukrainians.

Did you find that they appreciated you speaking Russian, or did they take it for granted?

I've found that Slavic girls tend to be impressed that a Western person can get their tongue around their language, however badly. I guess it helps get your tongue around theirs.
Quote: (06-08-2016 05:42 AM)Dantes Wrote:  

A quick update:

Logistically, it is great for Daygame. However, it wouldn't say it is the best talent I have seen. Good enough though.

Thanks for the update.

Which city has the best talent for you?
For me, before spb, it was Budapest, but there is just more complete packages in spb.
Quote: (06-08-2016 02:25 PM)d_hzy Wrote:  

A quick update:

Thanks for the update.

For me, before spb, it was Budapest, but there is just more complete packages in spb.

Kiev
Moscow
Prague (Although I have not there in some time)
Lower Manhattan

What makes SPB special is the logistics. You have all you need right on Nevsky. The concentration of the talent is extremely dense.

Don't get me wrong....I was happy with the talent in SPB. I just wouldn't rate it the best.
Quote: (06-08-2016 07:25 AM)JWLZG Wrote:  

Solid report. It's always great to see new RVFs drop intel like this.

good fashion sense, spend a lot of time on clothing and shoes, probably the flyest asian you will see,

I'll have to challenge you on that. [Image: tongue.gif]

Last summer(Budapest-Prague-Wroclaw-Krakow-Oslo-Stockholm-Helsinki) was the first time I seriously picked up and gamed girls. Ask me any questions about China or countries I’ve visited like Hungary and Czech Republic.

Damn, I did much the same circuit last year. We could've met.

Have you thought of visiting cities in between St. Petersburg and Moscow? Yaroslavl, Pskov and Novgorod would be worthwhile.

No plans yet, probably depends on how good my russian gets after a couple of weeks. I will keep you updated.

I was pretty blown away by the talent in Budapest, and I've lately had a preference for blondes, so I'll have to give SPB a shot.

I imagine St. Pete's to be cosmopolitan enough that you wouldn't really come across as exotic. Did you find that to be the case? I'm probably similar looking to you but taller, people sometimes think I'm Eurasian (I'm not).

I was almost disappointed that I didn't really turn heads throughout EE. In the Baltics, people even spoke to me in Russian automatically as if they thought I was from there. [Image: icon_question.gif]

I would say I'm exotic at least to some girls here(girls who don't speak english) since they don't get to see wavy western asians often. Most asians here are from countries like Kazakhstan.

I definitely wish that I'm a couple of inches taller cuz girls here are tall!! especially the hotter ones.

Seems like SPB daygame falls far short of what you can enjoy in Poland and Estonia. Good work on your confidence in gaming in Russian.

Would social circle game beat daygame and online as a way to approach in SPB?

Not sure about this one. I have a few international friends from the school and local russian friends met from shoe stores. But daygame is still the most effective approach for me. It would be a different story if you study abroad here or speak fluent russian.

I was under the impression that Russians are better in English than Ukrainians.

Did you find that they appreciated you speaking Russian, or did they take it for granted?

I've found that Slavic girls tend to be impressed that a Western person can get their tongue around their language, however badly. I guess it helps get your tongue around theirs.

[b]i would say that they appreciate my effort. They would laugh and correct me.
[/b]
Quote: (06-08-2016 02:35 PM)Dantes Wrote:  

Quote: (06-08-2016 02:25 PM)d_hzy Wrote:  

A quick update:

Thanks for the update.

Kiev
Moscow
Prague (Although I have not there in some time)
Lower Manhattan

What makes SPB special is the logistics. You have all you need right on Nevsky. The concentration of the talent is extremely dense.

Don't get me wrong....I was happy with the talent in SPB. I just wouldn't rate it the best.

Yeah I can definitely expect Kiev and Moscow to have more talent than spb
One thing I've noticed is that the some russian guys are pretty nice and friendly, and I'm talking about the younger generations(<25-30 years old). Can't speak for the older generation.
I usually ask girls for directions or just things in general. But there were times that russian guys would come out of their way to help me when they saw me only speak English. Some guys seem to appreciate the opportunities to practice English with me, as they would ask me to talk to them in English instead of Russian.
I've seen comments saying Russia is not the best place for asians. But personally, it's been 5 days and I haven't had any unhappy interactions with people here.
Quote: (06-10-2016 02:06 PM)d_hzy Wrote:  

One thing I've noticed is that the some russian guys are pretty nice and friendly, and I'm talking about the younger generations(<25-30 years old). Can't speak for the older generation.
I usually ask girls for directions or just things in general. But there were times that russian guys would come out of their way to help me when they saw me only speak English. Some guys seem to appreciate the opportunities to practice English with me, as they would ask me to talk to them in English instead of Russian.
I've seen comments saying Russia is not the best place for asians. But personally, it's been 5 days and I haven't had any unhappy interactions with people here.

Face control can be a bitch for some Asian guys at high end venues. Key is to arrive early for dinner (if it's a dinner 1st atmosphere that transforms into night club afterwards) and dressing very well.

I received blatant IOIs from chicks saying "privet" to me on the streets at times.....(wish I would've reacted to that, haha)

Friendly ppl in St. Petersburg...but very unpleasant bouncers at times.
So I went out both Friday and Saturday with a forum member and had a great time. Here is the update:

Friday:
I am not sure if this is the last week of school for college chicks. If thats the case, I would expect a bigger college crowd next weekends.

fidel: We got there around 12.30, paid 200 rubles to get in. Small venue, on one side people were sitting at the tables, talent was decent. There was an 8 and at least 3 guys were hitting on her at the same time. One girl came talk to us after hearing our English. Overall, I would say the crowd is younger.

Cube bar&Lomonosov bar: pretty bad. walked in and walked out.

These 3 clubs are all located in Dumskaya area.

Santa Barbara: We decided to check out Santa Barbara. Probably got there around 2.30. Again, like last Saturday, all the girls were in heels. Ended up chilling in the karaoke room and there, we opened up this two dancer/singer and number closed.
Santa Barbara should be always good on weekends. One thing thats good about Santa Barbara is (when not raining) they have an outdoor area. You can pull girls there and escalate.

Saturday:

Mishka bar: our first stop. Got there pretty early and it was kinda empty. But the layout looked promising, two separate rooms, one for dancing and one for sitting.

Rubinshteyna street: It was pretty disappointing. There were so many karaoke bars on the street(or in spb in general). I might come back here sometime.

Then we hit up Stackenschneider. It’s actually located in a compound and hot girls were walking in.

Stackenschneider: heard some good things about this one on the forum. Turned out it was pretty bad. All I remember is it was really dark and kinda hippie. In fact, almost all the clubs in this area got a hippie vibe.

We got face controlled in this restaurant/bar called Pagman. Judging from outside, it looks pretty good and high end. I might come back.

After Stackenschneider, We went back to Dumskaya. Surprisingly, Lomonosov was popping(it was dead on friday). Tons of cute girls inside and also outside trying to get in. But the bouncer wouldn’t let us in.

At that point, we were pretty tired and the rain was ruining everything. We quickly checked out Santa Barbara again and called it a night.

Overall: Santa barbara is pretty consistent and good. But it’s not great. I would say so far, Budapest has a much better night scene. I wanted to believe that the fact that university is still going on played a role in a lot of clubs being lame. Maybe I’m wrong.

Next weekend, I’m going to Moscow and will prob do a little comparison.
D_hzy, I enjoy your stories. I will be hitting up Moscow next month myself. I think the fact that you are young (20?) plays a part in you being face-controlled. As a general rule bouncers want patrons who smell of money and usually college kids are not gonna bring much revenue to an expensive club as compared to say businessman in their 30s.
I've been to dozens of clubs in EE over the past couple years including Russia and never been face-controlled (yet) but I am much older than you and usually am suited up. You may want to check out some posts from Slubu, he is one of the RU experts on this forum and he did very well last year while traveling all over Russia and partaking in night game. A few things I remember from his posts is that he always dressed well and spent money on tables. Although you're still a student and may not have that kind of disposable income you should still try to call-in early to some of the more happenings clubs and reserve a table. If you got a local buddy or two and can split the tab it is not too much but worth it as once a table is secured near a dance floor you should have no problems pulling girls over.
Quote: (06-12-2016 06:26 PM)TripleG Wrote:  

D_hzy, I enjoy your stories. I will be hitting up Moscow next month myself. I think the fact that you are young (20?) plays a part in you being face-controlled. As a general rule bouncers want patrons who smell of money and usually college kids are not gonna bring much revenue to an expensive club as compared to say businessman in their 30s.

I'd say being Asian is what gets him face-controlled first and foremost, money is only a secondary reason.
I had serious troubles getting into any decent venue with a hot Japanese girl in tow while I was in Peterburg for example.
Bouncers are basically the same everywhere in the world, they've heard it all, and if the policy is no Asians (="Central Asian scum"), then it's no Asians. Maybe you really are from the West or East Asia, but how is everyone else in the club supposed to know that, just by looking at you?
They have a reputation to lose. Sucks, but that's my experience.

I'd say focus on day game and for nightlife try finding some student hangouts and places with an alternative/hipster vibe, so you avoid those pesky gorillas at the door. You'll also have higher chances of finding English speaking locals there.
By the way, most Russian university students should be in the middle of their final exams right now, so it's no wonder you have difficulties finding the college crowd.
Quote: (06-12-2016 06:52 PM)Belgrano Wrote:  

Quote: (06-12-2016 06:26 PM)TripleG Wrote:  

I'd say being Asian is what gets him face-controlled first and foremost, money is only a secondary reason.
I had serious troubles getting into any decent venue with a hot Japanese girl in tow while I was in Peterburg for example.
Bouncers are basically the same everywhere in the world, they've heard it all, and if the policy is no Asians (="Central Asian scum"), then it's no Asians. Maybe you really are from the West or East Asia, but how is everyone else in the club supposed to know that, just by looking at you?
They have a reputation to lose. Sucks, but that's my experience.

I'd say focus on day game and for nightlife try finding some student hangouts and places with an alternative/hipster vibe, so you avoid those pesky gorillas at the door. You'll also have higher chances of finding English speaking locals there.
By the way, most Russian university students should be in the middle of their final exams right now, so it's no wonder you have difficulties finding the college crowd.

Keep in mind a lot of these places will face control hot chicks too. You are absolutely right however about "having a reputation" to keep by not allowing people of color at times. This is even from Buddha Bar, which seemed "too commercialized" with even advertisements at Pulkovo Airport.

Here's the facebook page of Pacman St. Petersburg:
https://www.facebook.com/pacmanspb/

In one of the reviews, an Italian dude with his Russian GF was treated questionably & forced to make a 6000 Ruble deposit ($91.00 USD as of June 2016) to have dinner there. Sounds like he was there to just have dinner opposed to partying afterwards so he left the restaurant without spending the whole 6000 Rubles.

As for OP, you could try going to this place again early and splitting a table cost with a friend & paying with a combo of card (at table) and cash at the bar afterwards. Oh..pace yourself drinking wise & eat slow as fresh chicks will be comin in every 15-30 mins afterwards.

If you have a suit, wear the ensemble with a dress shirt (no tie) underneath and preferably (CLEAN) black dress shoes. Slacks/jeans with a blazer could do as well, but I'd recommend the suit ensemble.

You could also try daygame with English at one of the universities including yours as well.
Hey d_hzy, you could try doing day-game at the bookstore ''Дом книги'' on nevsky prospekt. I was there recently on a weekday looking for some russian books and was shocked by the abundance of beautiful young women. Easy to approach. Some were checking out books in the english section. There is a nice cafe in the bookstore so one can try setting up an instadate there.
Quote: (06-10-2016 07:29 PM)Brosemite Wrote:  

Quote: (06-10-2016 02:06 PM)d_hzy Wrote:  

Face control can be a bitch for some Asian guys at high end venues. Key is to arrive early for dinner (if it's a dinner 1st atmosphere that transforms into night club afterwards) and dressing very well.

I received blatant IOIs from chicks saying "privet" to me on the streets at times.....(wish I would've reacted to that, haha)

Friendly ppl in St. Petersburg...but very unpleasant bouncers at times.

Those girls were likely trying to get you to a strip club or a Karaoke bar where they would charge outrageous prices for drinks. It is better that you did not engage them. Normal Russian girls do not open men on the street.