rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How can we bring back the verb "to ball" as to have sex?

This was a great verb back in the day. If you listen to music from the late '60s or early '70s, you would hear people using it all the time, e.g., "last night I balled two chicks!"

Don't tell me that slang changes. The word "cool" has been around forever, so why not "to ball"?

It's a great sexual reference with a real manly ring to it. Seriously, inject it into your casual conversation and watch the reaction.

Hasn't JohnBozz covered this?

The trolls have really come out of the woodwork with a vengeance this past month

Can you tell us about your experiences using this in real situations?

I'm kind of holding my breath after the high amounts of pure enjoyment I experienced from your "cat lovers are alpha" thread.

My personal recommendation is this dance, yet again, if you are "to ball."

[Image: troll.gif]

Quote: (05-08-2016 02:12 PM)Sidney Crosby Wrote:  

Hasn't JohnBozz covered this?

It HAS to be johnbozzzz.

22 posts and 3 question threads already.

Dames are very impressed with a man who uses "to ball," as it shows that he is attuned to that year that was the high point in culture and masculinity, 1971.

Roosh should sell this trash forum with the caveat that his name be removed from it.

Quote: (05-08-2016 03:31 PM)Uzisuicide Wrote:  

Roosh should sell this trash forum with the caveat that his name be removed from it.

[Image: attentionwhore.gif][Image: attentionwhore.gif][Image: attentionwhore.gif]

[Image: popcorn5.gif]

Quote: (05-08-2016 03:00 PM)Recovering Beta Wrote:  

Dames are very impressed with a man who uses "to ball," as it shows that he is attuned to that year that was the high point in culture and masculinity, 1971.

[Image: 926.gif]

This place has really been delivering lately. I bring back "balling" in honor of Recovering Beta.

[Image: Screenshot_18.png]

[Image: 635515964280865297-8886480_michaelscott10.gif][Image: 635515964280865297-8886480_michaelscott10.gif]

I'm bringing it back

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

It was nice knowing you.

"To ball" was actually an expression popularized first in the 1950s by rock'n'roll great Little Richard and his songwriting team of John Marascalco and "Bumps" Blackwell.

The most notable example of this is in Little Richard's 1958 hit "Good Golly, Miss Molly." It got to #4 and had that expression in the first line.

However, Richard had used the word before in a smaller hit, "Rip It Up," which got to #17 in 1956. That song was covered by Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry and became a rock standard, so the word "ball" got a lot of, um, play (pardon the pun).

Tellingly, this expression doesn't come up in any lyrics by white '50s rockers like Dion, Eddie Cochran, or Gene Vincent -- unless they were covering Little Richard.

So it was mostly an expression used by urban kids...until the one and only Frank Sinatra caught onto what it meant and decided to use it in a hilariously inappropriate place.

That came in 1959, when Sinatra remade his 1944 ballad "Saturday Night (Is the Loneliest Night of the Week)." The song was written as a World War II lament for girls whose boyfriends went off to war.

But when Sinatra re-did it, he ditched the original weepy arrangement and gave it a hard-edged swing feel. He also altered the crucial line "I don't mind Sunday night at all, 'cause that's the night friends come to call" to "That's the night friends come to ball."

This, of course, changes the meaning of that line -- and perhaps the whole song. It goes from sounding like harmless fun to coming off like he's hosting orgies. I'm sure he and his Rat Pack buddies (who often egged him on in the studio) were snorting out their vodka and tonics from laughter when he came up with that.

Moving ahead a decade, the reason people think "ball" is a '70s expression is that Creedence Clearwater Revival re-popularized it when they covered "Good Golly, Miss Molly" on their 1969 LP Bayou Country. By the next year, you had Led Zeppelin using it in "Hey, Hey What Can I Do" and the Doors on "Build Me a Woman" from their live album.

By the 1980s, the rockabilly revival band the Stray Cats used "ball" for both a song and album title with "Gonna Ball." By that time, it was a harmless retro expression people associated with the "Happy Days" era.

So...blame Little Richard. And to answer the original question, we can bring the term back by having a rapper or dance artist sample his music. If Fergie can sample "The Girl Can't Help It" for "Clumsy," someone can probably find a way to sample that line "Rip It Up" or "Miss Molly."

Now that's a history lesson I didn't see coming, thanks DoBA.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

Quote: (05-08-2016 06:37 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

"To ball" was actually an expression popularized first in the 1950s by rock'n'roll great Little Richard and his songwriting team of John Marascalco and "Bumps" Blackwell.

The most notable example of this is in Little Richard's 1958 hit "Good Golly, Miss Molly." It got to #4 and had that expression in the first line.

However, Richard had used the word before in a smaller hit, "Rip It Up," which got to #17 in 1956. That song was covered by Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry and became a rock standard, so the word "ball" got a lot of, um, play (pardon the pun).

Tellingly, this expression doesn't come up in any lyrics by white '50s rockers like Dion, Eddie Cochran, or Gene Vincent -- unless they were covering Little Richard.

So it was mostly an expression used by urban kids...until the one and only Frank Sinatra caught onto what it meant and decided to use it in a hilariously inappropriate place.

That came in 1959, when Sinatra remade his 1944 ballad "Saturday Night (Is the Loneliest Night of the Week)." The song was written as a World War II lament for girls whose boyfriends went off to war.

But when Sinatra re-did it, he ditched the original weepy arrangement and gave it a hard-edged swing feel. He also altered the crucial line "I don't mind Sunday night at all, 'cause that's the night friends come to call" to "That's the night friends come to ball."

This, of course, changes the meaning of that line -- and perhaps the whole song. It goes from sounding like harmless fun to coming off like he's hosting orgies. I'm sure he and his Rat Pack buddies (who often egged him on in the studio) were snorting out their vodka and tonics from laughter when he came up with that.

Moving ahead a decade, the reason people think "ball" is a '70s expression is that Creedence Clearwater Revival re-popularized it when they covered "Good Golly, Miss Molly" on their 1969 LP Bayou Country. By the next year, you had Led Zeppelin using it in "Hey, Hey What Can I Do" and the Doors on "Build Me a Woman" from their live album.

By the 1980s, the rockabilly revival band the Stray Cats used "ball" for both a song and album title with "Gonna Ball." By that time, it was a harmless retro expression people associated with the "Happy Days" era.

So...blame Little Richard. And to answer the original question, we can bring the term back by having a rapper or dance artist sample his music. If Fergie can sample "The Girl Can't Help It" for "Clumsy," someone can probably find a way to sample that line "Rip It Up" or "Miss Molly."

The Forum never ceases to deliver.

I'm the King of Beijing!

[Image: lol.gif]

Dayummmm DOBA, I did not expect this thread to get this interesting...

If only you knew how bad things really are.

John Bozz

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

(snip)

Thanks for the context. The only "balling" Little Richard was doing was with other men so I vote for not reviving this term.

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

Quote: (05-08-2016 03:00 PM)Recovering Beta Wrote:  

[Image: laugh3.gif]

Quote: (04-29-2016 06:49 PM)Uzisuicide Wrote:  

Amazing how this forum has deteriorated since I joined in 2013.

[Image: wanna-punch-you-gif.gif]

Can't help but imagine DOBA looking like this:

[Image: 7b875c6dc88134dd4d4682720ccaa45a.jpg]

"The whole point of being alpha, is doing what the fuck you want.
That's why you see real life alphas without chicks. He's doing him.

Real alphas don't tend to have game. They don't tend to care about the emotional lives of the people around them."

-WIA

Looks like a "suicide by cop" attempt. 7 day ban.

Quote: (04-29-2016 06:49 PM)Uzisuicide Wrote:  

Amazing how this forum has deteriorated since I joined in 2013.

Quote: (04-29-2016 06:51 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

So what have you done in the past 5 years to help in 150 posts ?

Americans are dreamers too

Trolls in 2018

"I can't believe how much this forum has deteriorated since 2015"