rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fasting to loose body fat

I want to start fasting 8 hours a day on a daily basis but i got questions. I got a really great physique but just need to get leaner. The ideal way to fast is to wake up and not eat until about 8 hours later. But i take ADHD med for college and have to take them while eating. Should i take them while eating a small amount of food and then fast for 8 hours? Or should i have a full breakfast and then fast for 8 hours?

Thank you

leangains.com should answer just about all your questions.

Fast for 16 hours/eat for 8 hours. I've had really good success with this but I also like being fasted.

Lyle Mcdonald's book Stubborn Body Fat Solution also has some really good info and I would recommend it as well.

Quote: (01-25-2016 12:50 PM)MiscBrah Wrote:  

Fast for 16 hours/eat for 8 hours. I've had really good success with this but I also like being fasted.

Lyle Mcdonald's book Stubborn Body Fat Solution also has some really good info and I would recommend it as well.

Thanks for the infos, so basically would it be okay to have a protein shake with my meds and then fast until diner or afternoon and then start eating?

Do you have to take your meds at a specific time?

Heres what I do, I stop eating at 10pm and start eating at 2 pm. Sometimes I fast longer, sometimes I fast shorter. Its all about the consistency. Make sure you fully read the resources I gave you.

Quote: (01-25-2016 01:02 PM)MiscBrah Wrote:  

Do you have to take your meds at a specific time?

Heres what I do, I stop eating at 10pm and start eating at 2 pm. Sometimes I fast longer, sometimes I fast shorter. Its all about the consistency. Make sure you fully read the resources I gave you.

Yeah i have to take my meds when i wake up so i can focus and study all day.

Quote: (01-25-2016 01:07 PM)AtyourCervix Wrote:  

I figured that may be the case. You will have have to adjust your fast/feed window into something that works for you. For example your window could be to eat from 6am to 2 pm and then fast until 6 am.

Quote: (01-25-2016 01:22 PM)MiscBrah Wrote:  

I figured that may be the case. You will have have to adjust your fast/feed window into something that works for you. For example your window could be to eat from 6am to 2 pm and then fast until 6 am.
Damn that would be really hard to not have dinner as i can't sleep when im hungry. So eating an apple or something just to take my meds with and then fasting until dinner would not be as effective?

Damn that would be really hard to not have dinner as i can't sleep when im hungry. So eating an apple or something just to take my meds with and then fasting until dinner would not be as effective?

Thats probably fine bro. It will still help you reduce your overall calorie intake and lose fat. However, you will not be getting the other benefits that fasting provides because you simply won't be fasting long enough.

I don't think you should admit defeat before trying it though. It may be hard to sleep fasted for the first couple days but after you get used to it, it may not be a problem. Give it a try and if it absolutely won't work, then just take the apple with your meds.

Remember, consistency is important so find something that will work for you personally.

Is your meds supposed to be taken with fat? Then you could try to take your meds with a tablespoon or two of MCT oil instead of an apple.

As far as I know you still have some of the health benefits of fasting when digesting mct oils in a fast.

An apple definitely breaks your fast.

Quote: (01-25-2016 12:57 PM)AtyourCervix Wrote:  

Quote: (01-25-2016 12:50 PM)MiscBrah Wrote:  

Thanks for the infos, so basically would it be okay to have a protein shake with my meds and then fast until diner or afternoon and then start eating?

I was going to suggest that exact thing.
Try it and see if it works out OK.

On the label it says take while eating. This med also supress apetite so it would be amazing for fasting.

If you really want to make it easy on yourself, just eat two meals per day - but breakfast and dinner instead of lunch and dinner. No, it's not exactly the same concept as IF, and you will miss out on some of the benefits, but it will still create the considerable caloric deficit and largely give you the results you want. Problem solved.

Keep in mind that for many people, eating breakfast kind of "awakens" their hunger and makes them hungry again by lunchtime, whereas if you just skip breakfast, you're generally fine until lunch or later without feeling any hunger pains.

But everyone is a bit different, and I've had some success with skipping lunch everyday instead of breakfast in the past.

It may take a bit more willpower, but expirement and see how it goes. You can always adjust based on how it turns out.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

The old fasting dilemma.

If fasting helps you eat less calories - do it (I do).

If you still eat excess calories during the feeding window, it won't help (I used to do this).

On the other side of the coin is the cookie cutter "six small meals" bodybuilding diet. It works for small guys with fast metabolisms who don't like food as much as I do. I tried it, I was constantly hungry. After years of tinkering and listening to my body I found a system that works.

Now - I eat two giant meals. Lunch (12 PM - 3 PM) and dinner (6 PM - 9 PM).

I'll also eat pop tarts or a Lenny & Larry Complete Cookie after lifting. This doesn't even count as a meal, it's a just a yummy fucking snack.

I lost in excess of 20kg in 2013 just by pushing my first meal later and later in the day. Still doing IF till this day. Makes cutting more of a lifestyle shift rather than a flat out diet. Highly recommended.

I would advise you check out Greg O'Gallagher's take on intermittent fasting first. Less strict on the 'eating window' than other proponents of it.

A Primer on Fast Club Sex || Speed Closing || Brisbane Datasheet

PM me for add into my Seeking Arrangement 'Saltdaddy' Free FB Mastermind Group

Quote: (01-25-2016 10:59 PM)Prof. Ligate Wrote:  

I lost in excess of 20kg in 2013 just by pushing my first meal later and later in the day.

Well done!

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I don't have any specific measurements, but I've found that eating well lifting and doing cardio 3 to 5 times a week to be much more effective at inducing fat-loss than fasting, even hard fasting, and 2 or fewer days of exercising per week. Those are my observations.

Scientifically, I've read that having more muscle causes you to burn calories, and any significant time spent fasting will cause your body to attempt to preserve fat. The evolutionary implications of these are obvious; if there's no food, you're gonna need to last longer. If there's a lot of food and you're getting good exercise, you're gonna need to perform at a high level.

Carpe Noctem

You'll know the truth by how it feels.

Started fasting yesterday at 6 pm until today 10am (16hours). Took my meds at 7am with nothing but water. I had a bottle of Perrier from 7 am to 10 am (i hope that's allowed). Honestly i felt great as fuck and found it pretty easy. I had a snack at 10:20am and lunch at 1pm. At 3h30 i will go train.

So basically my fasting is from 6pm to 10am. (Nothing but perrier, water and my meds)

Does this sounds good?

The hardest part of fasting is the drinking. Throws everything into sack and does a hormonal rebalance and not in a good way. Don't get me started k. The post alchy munchies

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Your talking about alcohol or any drinks?

Quote: (01-26-2016 01:47 PM)AtyourCervix Wrote:  

Started fasting yesterday at 6 pm until today 10am (16hours). Took my meds at 7am with nothing but water. I had a bottle of Perrier from 7 am to 10 am (i hope that's allowed). Honestly i felt great as fuck and found it pretty easy. I had a snack at 10:20am and lunch at 1pm. At 3h30 i will go train.

So basically my fasting is from 6pm to 10am. (Nothing but perrier, water and my meds)

Does this sounds good?

Perrier is just mineral water, right? As long as it's not flavored, yes, it's fine.

Drinking coffee is recommended too, though more true to the diet if black (which is how I drink it), and helps a lot to curb cravings. Some people toss in a tad of cream. Not the end of the world if you don't get sloppy with it.

Yes, your setup sounds good - as long as your medication is okay to take on an empty stomach.

You're right that it's pretty easy. IF is a great lifestyle hack. Stick with it and you'll be very happy with the results.

Beyond All Seas

Thanks for your help! I can't drink coffee due to my med (stimulant). And the pharmacist told me it was alright to take it on an emplty stomach and eat a couple of hours later so i guess im all good.

Awesome, sounds like you're good to go then.

If you like the taste of coffee, maybe consider decaf. Could at least help with morning appetite. Or perhaps a tea that's not too stimulating?

Anyhow, keep us updated on your progress.

I just recently got back on IF myself, combined with kicking the booze again, the inches are already starting to fall away.

Beyond All Seas

Do you have any tools or website you would recommend me to get an approximation amount of calories intake?

^ MyFitnessPal is an app that has been recommended to me recently (be forewarned that you may want to calculate your daily calorie targets elsewhere because the app seems to drastically underestimate there).

That said, I'm a big believer in taking your health changes in steps. Don't change too many things at once or take on too much at once - it's a recipe for burnout. Remember that willpower is finite.

For example, right now I'm focused on three things in regards to my health - regularizing the gym again, IF, and getting sleep patterns back on track. Of course, I just quit drinking too, but I'd already completed a year of sobreity before my last string of binges, and for me the change doesn't really take any willpower once I sign on.

After I get used to these changes, I'll decide whether I want to get into calorie counting. Generally when I'm pushing towards a goal, I take stock at the beginning of each week and decide if I'm ready to tweak my habits and routine a bit more. For instance, I don't worry too much about shitty foods I'm eating or maximizing my cardio routine, etc, etc. I'll save those for another week.

Not to mention that you may very well find that you don't need to count calories with IF. So wait and see how progress goes, and after you've gotten used to the routine, decide then if you need something more.

Simple is often better when it comes to big lifestyle changes, and IF is designed for the ultimate simplicity already.

I recommend sticking with three or less big health changes at one time, maybe four if you're really trying to come out of the gate swinging.

EDIT: Thank you for the rep - much appreciated.

Beyond All Seas

Take a look at the IF master thread here.
I've been trying IF for several weeks using the 16/8 framework. Your intended 8 hour daily fast is not enough. Try 16 hours or even 18 hours.
Tips From my experience -
drink water regularly
Don't eat breakfast before 10am
Start your fast no later than 7pm

benefits so far:
fat loss
becoming aware of your 'system'
improved mood
better focus
giving your digestive system a break from constant activity
Improved satiety, ironically while eating less overall

drawbacks: