rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Travel Phones

Travel Phones

Hi Guys just wanted some inputs for a decent travel phone that isn't too expensive and something that isn't a huge hit if I lose it or it gets stolen.

I'm looking at this http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2_l...l-7477.php

because of it's dual sim card slots.

Travel Phones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone-4S-...1749824831

Travel Phones

Nexus 5 if you like Android. Well built phone and you can get them at very cheap prices now. There are two models, cross check them against where you're traveling to for proper LTE comparability (where available).

iPhone 4S or newer if you like Apple, you'll get 4G speed (where available). The 5 and newer will pick up LTE (where available). I'm in Europe now and using my unlocked iPhone 6; works great.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Travel Phones

iPhone 5 was what I was thinking to get next.

Don't know much about Nexus 5 or Note or Galaxy.

Who is the phone expert around here?

Travel Phones

You should be able to get a Samsung S4 or S5 pretty cheap off Amazon. (S7 is coming out soon)

If you want an Iphone get a 4S or 5 like Linux said.

Travel Phones

Quote: (01-04-2016 05:12 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

iPhone 5 was what I was thinking to get next.

Don't know much about Nexus 5 or Note or Galaxy.

Who is the phone expert around here?

I'm an Apple fan, so I'm a bit biased. I like iOS better than Android. I'd recommend the iPhone all day long over an Android phone.

But, the Nexus 5 is a damn good phone though; if you're looking for flagship specs (albeit a couple years old) and won't freak out if the phone breaks or gets stolen, go with that. The Note is huge, you might as well carry a tablet around with you. The Galaxy comes in different models but they tend to be expensive.

The other thing to consider is that Apple products retain their value much better than Android products do.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

Travel Phones

I'm still running with the Nexus 5. This is my third one after breaking a couple and building one from the parts. Great phone for the price.

Travel Phones

Just a plug for the Google Nexus 6, 5X, and 6P....you pair that with Google's Project Fi carrier service and you never need a travel phone. Unlimited text messages in 120+ nations, $0.01 to $0.04 a minute phone calls, data at the same rate (NOT quite same speed) as you'd pay in US....basically a solid carrier in the US with pretty decent rates internationally. Obviously not worth it if you don't live in the US for majority of your time....but for shorter travel its awesome.

Travel Phones

I just unlocked my iphone 5, I think I'll use that for now. I'd like to switch over to android eventually, there seems to be more free apps. I'm not that big of a fan of iOS, especially because you can't expand the storage on iphones.

Travel Phones

If you haven't got a preference, get an Android as they're cheaper and have way more functionality.

I find they do have a slight learning curve compared to Apple phones though but that's not a big issue.

Travel Phones

I bought the Zenfone off of Amazon and have been very happy with it.
Several of my Spanish friends have bought one after seeing mine.
I think it has the best price/quality relationship of any new phone available.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

Travel Phones

Just picked this up after my iPhone was stolen on the road a few months ago. Has a respectable 8 MP camera, has a nice big screen, runs Android, and is $110. In my opinion a good travel phone should also be cheap in the event you lose or break the damn thing.

http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Energy-Plus-Sm...B0129TQLPW
Edit - the battery lasts me 2 days.

Latin American Coffee Guide
-What other people think of you is none of your business.

Travel Phones

iPhone 6 and above are very universal unlocked phones and should work almost anywhere.

I'm currently using a Verizon iPhone 5S on Sprint via RingPlus' free plan.

The 5S and 5C are somewhat universal but there are some catches. So far what I've run into with Sprint is because this phone is so old, there's no support for the 850 and 2500 "Spark" LTE bands, just the original 1900 that was deployed when the phone was new. Same likely goes for T-Mobile's recent LTE changes.

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

[Image: attachment.jpg29240]   

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Travel Phones

+1 on ringplus. Thanks to DJ-Matt.

Got it for someone who rarely makes a call. You have to listen to some advertisement when making a call but no biggie.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Travel Phones

Quote: (01-05-2016 02:08 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Got it for someone who rarely makes a call. You have to listen to some advertisement when making a call but no biggie.

Yep here's the free plan I've been using since switching my 5S over, 1500/1500/1500:

[Image: attachment.jpg29242]   

Team visible roots
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Travel Phones

I prefer S5 personally.

For a travel phone, i like the fact that it is practically waterproof. (Took it out under a waterfall at Iguazu and theres been tests on youtube) I just use T-mobile with it. Works perfectly in every country Ive been to so far. This works well for me since i know nothing about cell phone technology and dont have to do shit like changing simcards overseas. The speaker and camera are also pretty sweet and the screen is bigger then older iPhone models. Plus im a sheep for google products.

Travel Phones

so you buy the sim card plan in whatever country you're in, so when you switch countries you simply change out the sim card?

and lets say youre switching between Russia and Poland Sim cards. If my sim card isn't in, and a girl from that country texts me, I won't receive it on the different sim card correct?

Travel Phones

^^^
Correct, hence the desire for phones with multiple SIM slots.

Travel Phones

Quote: (01-05-2016 04:52 PM)Disco_Volante Wrote:  

so you buy the sim card plan in whatever country you're in, so when you switch countries you simply change out the sim card?

and lets say youre switching between Russia and Poland Sim cards. If my sim card isn't in, and a girl from that country texts me, I won't receive it on the different sim card correct?

Not necessary with the 120 countries t mobile gives you. Usually i just turn my phone on and off or i put airplane mode on and off. The phone recognizes the country I am in (usually very quickly).

If you want a local number maybe you use sim cards?...Most people are texting on whatsapp overseas anyway. You really only need the data plan.

Travel Phones

Quote: (01-05-2016 03:52 PM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  

Quote: (01-05-2016 02:08 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Yep here's the free plan I've been using since switching my 5S over, 1500/1500/1500:

Ring+ is good. They're a Sprint MVNO, so if you have decent Sprint signal, you're all set.

Travel Phones

iPhone 5s vs Nexus 5? What do you guys think?

For the 16GB unlocked version each seem to be about $200.

I wouldn't be using the phone between multiple countries so much as I would be using it in the US and also in whichever other country I decide to live in. So multiple SIM cards isn't a big deal to me.

Am I overthinking this? Is there really much difference between the two? A good camera/video would be nice.

Thanks guys.

Travel Phones

iPhone is tops for camera, they aren't the highest megapixel sensors out there but that is because Apple focuses on the whole system including the lens which makes good pictures.

I have a love/hate relationship with Apple. Don't own any of their computers and don't want to, but I really like my iPhone. I've tried going to android a few times and always come back, mainly because most Android phones stop getting software updates and become shit. Nexus might be different since they're Google phones, but consider this: the iPhone 4S is almost 5 years old and it has iOS 9, the current system for even the newest 6S phones. It might run slowly because it's so old, but on the other hand it's got the newest software.

I hate Apple's tight fist control, but jailbreak cures that for me and I'm happy with that. Only downside is I'm stuck on iOS 8.1.2 right now and can't upgrade to 9 because they closed the "signing window" for the iOS 9 version that can be jailbroken again.

Team visible roots

Travel Phones

Quote: (01-07-2016 01:36 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

iPhone 5s vs Nexus 5? What do you guys think?

For the 16GB unlocked version each seem to be about $200.

I wouldn't be using the phone between multiple countries so much as I would be using it in the US and also in whichever other country I decide to live in. So multiple SIM cards isn't a big deal to me.

Am I overthinking this? Is there really much difference between the two? A good camera/video would be nice.

Thanks guys.

For the same price? 5S all day long.

Travel Phones

Quote: (01-07-2016 03:05 PM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  

iPhone is tops for camera, they aren't the highest megapixel sensors out there but that is because Apple focuses on the whole system including the lens which makes good pictures.

I have a love/hate relationship with Apple. Don't own any of their computers and don't want to, but I really like my iPhone. I've tried going to android a few times and always come back, mainly because most Android phones stop getting software updates and become shit. Nexus might be different since they're Google phones, but consider this: the iPhone 4S is almost 5 years old and it has iOS 9, the current system for even the newest 6S phones. It might run slowly because it's so old, but on the other hand it's got the newest software.

I hate Apple's tight fist control, but jailbreak cures that for me and I'm happy with that. Only downside is I'm stuck on iOS 8.1.2 right now and can't upgrade to 9 because they closed the "signing window" for the iOS 9 version that can be jailbroken again.

I >>really<< don't like that Google arbitrarily doesn't allow OS updates on there devices. And they do it to devices that aren't even "old". So you have to hack/root those devices too.

Both Apple and Google are control freaks; the manifestations that demonstrate it are a bit different.

Travel Phones

Unlocked Moto G 3rd gen(single sim, LTE) and whatever phone you already have (t-mobile or project FI, both let you get texts on your US #).

Or just get a a Moto G 2nd gen with dual sim. It won't be LTE though.

- Clint Barton