rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Doing a search, we have threads on heavy metal, punk rock, classic rock, pop, country, classical, electro, and many more…..but nothing on rap or hip-hop. Time to change that. This is a lounge for everything related to the genre, mainly focusing on recent releases and not so much on the oldies.

I’ve gradually been getting into hip-hop ever since I was a kid, and now it’s practically all that I listen to. In my opinion, the 90’s were a good period, 2000-2010 was dead, and recently it’s revived itself into something different and well-received.

Recently I’ve been getting into Future. He’s always been nothing but a feature rapper like T-Pain and Lil Jon until about a year ago when he released Monster and two more album-quality mixtapes later on. Then about a month ago he dropped What A Time To Be Alive with Drake. This past year has been crazy for him, and those four mixtapes/albums are all I’ve been listening to this semester.

[Image: cover_jpg_1413926238.jpg] [Image: Future_Beast_Mode_mixtapes.jpg] [Image: Future_56_Nights_mixtape.jpg] [Image: WATTBA.jpg]
What’s everyone else into right now?

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

@ 33:05

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Great thread.

Highly disagree with you about the 2000s, there were many good rappers in their prime during this era. 90s legacy rappers like AZ and Jay-Z, more underground guys like Royce Da 5'9" and more mainstream acts like Lil' Wayne and the Game had a lot of dope tracks during these years. Dare I forget to mention one of the best 2000s albums and the first Hip-Hop album I ever bought, Country Grammar.

These days all these dudes are totally washed-up in terms of music quality and they haven't really been replaced.

Besides a couple guys like Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy, Hip-Hop these days doesn't do it for me like the 90s and 2000s.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Did anybody check out J cole's and Kendrick's Black Friday?

Rumor is they really will drop that collab album in february.

"You either build or destroy,where you come from?"

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Quote: (12-02-2015 04:03 PM)Designate Wrote:  

Great thread.

Highly disagree with you about the 2000s, there were many good rappers in their prime during this era. 90s legacy rappers like AZ and Jay-Z, more underground guys like Royce Da 5'9" and more mainstream acts like Lil' Wayne and the Game had a lot of dope tracks during these years. Dare I forget to mention one of the best 2000s albums and the first Hip-Hop album I ever bought, Country Grammar.

You're right about Wayne. I was younger in the 2000 decade - All I remember from it specifically were these two:

[Image: Young_Money_-_We_Are_Young_Money.png] [Image: CarterIII.jpg]
Fuckin Lollipop and Bedrock were so 'early high school'. I could probably still rap every word to the ladder. I remember thinking it was cool and edgy that they used the Flintstones as an innuendo for fucking. Good times.

Quote: (12-02-2015 04:54 PM)Avon Barksdale Wrote:  

Did anybody check out J cole's and Kendrick's Black Friday?

Call me crazy, but I'm not big into those two. Or Jay Rock. Or Eminem. All of the rappers that everyone tends to say are gods seem to be just alright to me.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Been listening to this EP a lot lately from early 2014. It surprised me and caught me off guard. It has a futuristic-yet-retro sound: Think 90s G-Funk + Kendrick Lamar hooks + Too $hort/Andre 3000 verses. Recommend tracks 3 and 4. You can find it free to download legally as well.

100s - IVRY

[Image: a428f00b2c2bb1192afbd4e7f04e1b05.jpeg]

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Double posted so here's another album I've been listening to lately. You may have forgotten this one or never even heard it: A 90s group known as the Gravediggaz (featuring RZA from the Wu-tang Clan) produced the album 6 Feet Deep in 1994 and features very dark lyrical content. "Diary of a Madman"(@ 25:55) is worth at least one listen. A classic hip-hop track by a group who originated the birth of horror core hip-hop.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

To me Lil' Wayne was the king of Hip-Hop from 2004-2008. Back then every single, album and mixtape he released during that time was dope. Great for smoking weed, partying, fucking girls, sports and everything in between.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

I really have to listen to more newer rap and hip-hop, I was a big fan as a kid in the 80s, I remember listening to the Fat Boys when I was five (1987) thinking they were hilarious and continued to listen to it as it evolved into the "Golden Era" of 88-95. This is the same stuff I listen to today and will for the rest of my life, here's the tracks I had on at the gym today:

Ice-T: I'm your pusher
Mobb Deep: Shook ones
LL Cool J: Mama said knock you out
Lost Boyz: Me and my crazy world
Biggie: Gimme the loot
Spice one: Welcome to the ghetto
Juvenile: Back that ass up
Ghetto Boyz: Mind playing tricks on me
DMX: Get at me dog
Three 6 Mafia: Hit a muthafucka

That's the type of stuff I like, if any of you can recommend any newer music that comes close, I'm all ears......keep those vids coming fellas.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

My first rap record was Tougher Than Leather. Kendrick's album this year was one of the greatest rap albums ever made, and probably the best album released in 2015.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

So much love in this thread for Lil Wayne. I get it, there was a time for him, but it's just sad that he's dead now. His new releases have been painful. No Ceilings 2, which came out a few days ago, is just freestyle garbage like his last few mixtapes. And he's been 'working' on his 'final' album for years now. Who knows.

Quote: (12-02-2015 09:00 PM)scotian Wrote:  

That's the type of stuff I like, if any of you can recommend any newer music that comes close, I'm all ears......keep those vids coming fellas.

Not anything like Three Six Mafia or DMX, but I've been appreciating this video/track for a week now. Usually not one for music videos, but this one's cool with me.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Quote: (12-01-2015 06:02 PM)Goldhawkstar Wrote:  

I’ve gradually been getting into hip-hop ever since I was a kid, and now it’s practically all that I listen to. In my opinion, the 90’s were a good period, 2000-2010 was dead, and recently it’s revived itself into something different and well-received.

Da fuck? You could easily make the argument that the 2000s were the pinnacle of rap and hip hop.

Get Rich or Die Trying, The Marshall Mathers LP, The Eminem Show, Trap Muzik, College Dropout, Graduation, The Documentary, Stankonia, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, The Black Album, The Revolutionary Volumes I & II, Hood Rich, Watermelon Chicken & Gritz, Country Grammar etc

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Quote: (12-02-2015 10:04 PM)Mr. Brightside Wrote:  

Da fuck? You could easily make the argument that the 2000s were the pinnacle of rap and hip hop.

Get Rich or Die Trying, The Marshall Mathers LP, The Eminem Show, Trap Muzik, College Dropout, Graduation, The Documentary, Stankonia, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, The Black Album, The Revolutionary Volumes I & II, Hood Rich, Watermelon Chicken & Gritz, Country Grammar etc
Quote: (12-01-2015 06:02 PM)Goldhawkstar Wrote:  

In my opinion

Just my take, man. I don't think other opinions are wrong.

I downloaded Dirty Sprite 2. Figured I should stop delaying the inevitable. Time to listen to this over and over and over and over.

[Image: DS2_by_Future.jpg]

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Quote: (12-02-2015 09:00 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I really have to listen to more newer rap and hip-hop, I was a big fan as a kid in the 80s, I remember listening to the Fat Boys when I was five (1987) thinking they were hilarious and continued to listen to it as it evolved into the "Golden Era" of 88-95. This is the same stuff I listen to today and will for the rest of my life, here's the tracks I had on at the gym today:

Ice-T: I'm your pusher
Mobb Deep: Shook ones
LL Cool J: Mama said knock you out
Lost Boyz: Me and my crazy world
Biggie: Gimme the loot
Spice one: Welcome to the ghetto
Juvenile: Back that ass up
Ghetto Boyz: Mind playing tricks on me
DMX: Get at me dog
Three 6 Mafia: Hit a muthafucka

[Image: clap.gif]

I'll suggest a few:

Freddie Gibbs

Big Krit

Killer Mike

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Currently in rotation: The Incredible True Story (Logic) and GO:OD AM (Mac Miller). A$AP Rocky's most recent album was good too but I got tired of it after a few plays. 2014 Forest Hills Drive and To Pimp a Butterfly were good as well.

Stro and Bishop Nehru are also a breath of fresh air amidst all of the garbage today.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Quote: (12-02-2015 10:36 PM)Designate Wrote:  

Big Krit

Never gave a shit about him, but It's Better This Way was an instant download. New respect for him. It should easily put Krit on the map.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

If we're on the topic...

Still the best mixtape of all time.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Am I the only one who thinks 2pac is extremely overrated? He was important for the game and has left a tremendous legacy but in terms of rapping talent he was so so

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Ambitionz az a ridah
Colt 45
Growin up in the hood
On my level
Love me
Rearveiw
The next episode
Still dré
Fuck bitches get money

All i can think of for now

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Quote: (12-03-2015 04:49 PM)Jsprint Wrote:  

Am I the only one who thinks 2pac is extremely overrated? He was important for the game and has left a tremendous legacy but in terms of rapping talent he was so so

I will say a lot of people love 2pac when they only heard like two songs and cannot name a single album he has made. He is also a bit overexposed as he shows up in retail stores on shirts and sweaters. He's become an iconic figure almost like a cult of personality for the people. He is hip-hops answer to Kurt Cobain in many respects (very popular, died young, called overrated by many and became a cult of personality - even though he certainly did not mean to).

His flow cannot match Biggie. He doesn't have an album like Illmatic (although you could argue he came close). He has nowhere close to the vocabulary that RZA, GZA, or even Wale (surprisingly his vocabulary range is only slightly higher compared with the likes of Lil' Wayne, Wiz, and Jeezy). He does have the heart, energy, and knowledge to excel at rapping and making good music.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

DS2 bumps. Figured you guys would appreciate the first two lines of the second track.

Quote:Quote:

You would fuck a rich nigga for the fame, won't you?
You would give that pussy up to a lame, won't you?

[Image: ceasar-milan-hunger-games.gif]

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Good thread idea

I can't stop listening to that Jeru verse, so smooth on the beat

"The price of being a man is eternal vigilance." - Kareem-Abdul Jabar

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Travis Scott and Future are my go to's right now. The vision for Days Before Rodeo and Rodeo are so fuckin dope. The aesthetic is something we've never seen before... Definitely not for the old souls who want a guy to just rap for them though.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Definitely keeping Future, Travis scott and Logic on rotation right now. I feel that it's a good mix.

Future brings that hustle mentality that lets you know the world is gritty and you have to be out here to get yours.

Travis "la flame" brings that trippy darkness I need to remind me to also do what i want to do, reject thinking like everyone else and being a ninja who doesn't give a f***.

And of course Logic brings that semi deep thought and smooth flow for those times when i'm on the tram just wanting to hear bars over good production. More like a tame kendrick that sets a mood just right for good tunes and a chill evening.

-CD

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

watching a bunch of old motherfuckers dog on future and la flame is pretty funny. they can't stand it when anyone comes out and doesn't fit their type of 1994 hip hop mold on how "real music" should sound. i honestly feel like i've grown out of that sound altogether. i grew up in that era and respect what it brought to the table but think the game has transcended that dated sound. listen to yeezus, my beautiful dark twisted fantasy, days before rodeo, acid rap, and to pimp a butterfly to see how much hip hop has progressed.