rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"In Japan, People Are Flipping Out Over The Flip-Phone"

From Forbes

Excerpts from the article

Quote:Quote:

...upon a time Japan was the world leader in mobile phones. Long before the iPhone, Japanese cell phones had already been surfing the net for years. Japanese telecommunications giant NTT Docomo released a mobile Internet surfing service called i-mode in 1999 that were accessed by cell phones that were way advanced beyond their time. While Japanese people were playing games, surfing the web, and even watching television on sleek flip phones, their counterparts in the United States were still making calls and punching out texts on tiny screens.

Unfortunately, even up until the release of the iPhone in 2007, Japan’s advanced cell phones never really picked up outside of the country...

...Softbank , at the time a struggling mobile phone and internet service provider staked their fortune on the new “hard to type on” “will never succeed in Japan” iPhone and made out like bandits. Gradually, the iPhone became “The Phone” in Japan.

...dumb-phones are making an unlikely comeback. 10.58 million units of flip phones were shipped out in 2014, a 5.8 percent increase from 2013. That’s also the first time in 7 years that flip phones sales increased. Smart phones, on the other hand, are not doing so well. Only 27.7 million units were shipped out last year, a 5.3 percent decrease from 2013.

There are several ways to explain this rise. One could be the demographic changes Japan is undergoing. As is well-known, Japan has a low birth rate coupled with an aging society. And obviously old folks here would have more trouble navigating the touch screens and the various apps of a smart phone. Most only need to use two basic functions in a cell phone: calling and texting.

Another reason explaining the comeback of flip phones is that it’s simply cheaper than a smart phone. The other reason is durability. The phones are notoriously difficult to break and Delphia Putinsky, a bilingual tour guide in Japan, says she keeps her flip-phone precisely for that reason.

Finally, there’s also undeniably one thing that flip phones surpasses the smart phone in: holding a charge for more than one day.

Actually this is a bit of an interesting perspective. It makes Japan look like a degrading society since there is less emphasis on the culture being tied to technology. I remember when I was in Middle School and High School, I thought Japan was the greatest place on Earth because all of these technological advancements they had on the United States in the consumer technology area. Even though I still am a bit of nerd for this, I lost a lot interest in Japan because it seems they lost their momentum.

In the United States, only 60% of people actually have smart phones. People in the 18 to 30 year old group, about 10% to 13% of them are owning flip phones themselves. However, there are arguments about flip phones being Hip. I think it is superficial in thought, but then again I hold onto my father's old Commodore Vic20 because I think it is cool.

I own a flip phone myself. However, I do it because I don't see any need to actually own a smart phone. I think there are a lot of considerations in place.

a) The Bill is cheaper
I pay only $20 for my phone bill. I don't really make calls because my social circle sucks. I prefer going up to strangers and starting a conversation anyways. As it stands, I'm looking at a few plans that will help me cut it in half. But even if you needed unlimited text and calling, I could buy that for $35. To get a plan from Verizon, you need to pay a minimum of $50. That is a 42% increase in costs.

b) 95% of apps are usable without a phone feature
There are some things you obviously can't use on your phone like a GPS feature. However, as long as you have access to Wi-Fi, you can do without it.

c) You can buy Smartphone esque items that will be cheaper in the long run

If you compare the devices and their plans, it will be cheaper in the long run to buy their wi-fi only items.

Apple
iPod touch (US prices)
16GB, $199
32GB, $249
64GB, $299

iPhones (US prices w/o plans accounted, a minimum of $50/month for a plan)

iPhone 5 c
-8GB, $0

iPhone 5 s
-16GB, $99
-32GB, $149

iPhone 6
-16GB, $199
-64GB, $299
-128GB, $399

iPhone 6 plus
-16GB, $299
-64GB, $399
-128GB, $499

d) Most people hate their smart phones
It is a bit of a paradox that people would buy what they hate. It seems a lot of people now treat their smart phones as necessary evils then something to make their lives better. All of I have to do is pull out my flip phone and people gasp then comment on their old flip-phone they used to have which they loved so much. Then they explain they would own a flip phone "...if I didn't need a smart phone." It seems a smart phone is an indicator of how well you are controlled.

What are your thoughts on flip-phone ownership?

I use a flip phone, Only 35 a month and no contract. To me, all those people paying 100 a month or more for the newest smart phone are suckers. I like not being online all the time...it allows me to think. I also don't care if it breaks, and it easily fits in my pocket.

But most people are sheep and drop 300 every year on whatever new smartphone they are told to buy
Plus whenever I whip it out girls are always intrigued by it since no one uses them except old people.

I might buy some older flip models off eBay in case they ever stop making them. I think they're a genius design in portability

The reason I hate my smartphone is because it's a tease. It gives you all this functionality you didn't have before, but does it irritatingly slowly, and dies after about 4 hours. It gives joy until you're feeling comfortable, then suddenly takes it all away. Little bastard.

Dropping back to a flip phone would be irritating. "Hmm I'll just check on ..... aahhhh guess I won't". They just need to hurry up and make faster phones with better batteries.

I use a simple Nokia brick phone.

I spend enough time online at home already and if I'm going somewhere new in the city, I simply carry a paper map in my electric bike.

I literally never have a moment where I wish had a smart phone with me.

I used a smart phone in the past and while it had it's advantages, I don't miss it.

There's nothing like having a phone that fits easily in your pocket and never needing to worry about it getting stolen or damaged.

I make a point of not carrying hundreds of dollars in cash with me at all times, because I wouldn't want to risk losing that much money. Why would I have a heavy piece of technology on me at all times that is basically like having $500 in my pocket?

I'm the King of Beijing!

The number of flip phones used to shock me till i noticed everyone had a smartphone too. It's simply cheaper to make calls with a flip phone while using the smart phone for data.

Also wanna add lots of players keep or used to keep two phones here, separate one for the side bitches.

I use a relatively old Samsung HTC running Android that my dad got jailbroken from a coworker for me. I only pay for SMS. So I'm pretty happy with it. I would consider going back to the flipphone but that boat has sailed. Being able to quickly text someone using the screen keyboard, using WhatsApp, etc. is too useful and time-saving.

I remember I always used to want a flip-phone. Something sleek and compact like the Motorola Pebble. Not because of the appeal, the features, the practicality, the cost or the technology - I was just a big fan of the old Star Trek communicators.

I pay $7 a month for unlimited 4G and 300 minutes on my Samsung Mega 2 smartphone.

I can make free calls and messages to people using Line and Skype.

Additionally I can scan the surroundings for nearby pussy and information at ANY time of the day, even if I'm sat on the toilet.

I'm currently sat on a bus back from Pattaya reading Roosh V Forum and watching Youtube videos of Donald Trump.

Am I missing something? Smartphones are excellent!

I'm pretty sure that I am faster with a 12-key keypad than most anyone is on an on-screen keyboard.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Treat yourself to a blu studio energy if you want battery life. This bugger has like 5000 mah of battery, which is ridiculous, and it holds a charge for like three or four days. It's only like 150 bucks. They're probably on sale now.

I don't know why more phones don't have enormous batteries built into them. The blu energy even came with a dongle to charge something off the phone, like another phone or a kindle.

If you want to go real old school, get a flip phone and a PDA with bluetooth. Use dial up network to connect to the internet when you want to.

I miss my Motorola v710 and e815. Solid phones and the T9 was very easy to use. Better than the touch screen crap we have today.

Holy shit iPhones are cheap in the US. Here it's 1200 USD for the 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus - in the poorest country in the EU (but similar prices in most of Europe) where the average monthly income for locals is around 400 USD.
A midrange Android phone, without a plan, is going to set you back around $350.

But I still notice more smartphones here (Android, primarily low and mid range models in poor countries, as expected) than old fashioned flip phones or other button based dumbphones.

I've considered many times dropping my data plan but holding on to a 'smart phone', probably an older model Android.

I plan on going on an off-brand cell provider when my Verizon contract is up. When I look at data usage, it's mostly just a waste of time. I've had to conserve data the last couple months because of loading snapchats (realized after the fact) and one, that was pointless because pretty much all snapchats I don't watch and don't care about, and two, if I do want to kill some time watching them, I can do so on wifi.

When people hate their cell phone, it's usually because of work. I don't hate my cell phone. That'd be like saying I hate tv.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

When i type in Japanese i find that i'm faster than most who use qwerty board to type when i use the flick style.

Quote: (08-20-2015 07:55 AM)heavy Wrote:  

I've considered many times dropping my data plan but holding on to a 'smart phone', probably an older model Android.

I plan on going on an off-brand cell provider when my Verizon contract is up. When I look at data usage, it's mostly just a waste of time. I've had to conserve data the last couple months because of loading snapchats (realized after the fact) and one, that was pointless because pretty much all snapchats I don't watch and don't care about, and two, if I do want to kill some time watching them, I can do so on wifi.

When people hate their cell phone, it's usually because of work. I don't hate my cell phone. That'd be like saying I hate tv.

You might want to give Republic a try. I got a Motorola G from them for $99 that does everything I need it to, and pay $12.47 for unlimited talk and text, with Wi-Fi only data. You can add data on the fly through their on-board app if you are somewhere you think you need it.

An interesting article, but let's not take this too far.

If anyone thinks that the smartphone is going away, he's deluding himself. There will always be a market for older technology, just like there still is a market for horses and carriages.

If you're a business owner and you're not making your website compatible with mobile phones, you're missing the boat.

50% of all people who read Kindle books read them on hand-held devices.

Quote: (08-20-2015 06:59 AM)MikeS Wrote:  

Holy shit iPhones are cheap in the US. Here it's 1200 USD for the 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus - in the poorest country in the EU (but similar prices in most of Europe) where the average monthly income for locals is around 400 USD.

But I still notice more smartphones here (Android, primarily low and mid range models in poor countries, as expected) than old fashioned flip phones or other button based dumbphones.

iPhones are only cheap in the United States. However, they still require a plan to subsidize the cost of the phone itself. Without the plan, it would cost at least $600. However, that is still cheaper than the rest of the world.

Quote: (08-20-2015 10:21 AM)Socrates Wrote:  

You might want to give Republic a try. I got a Motorola G from them for $99 that does everything I need it to, and pay $12.47 for unlimited talk and text, with Wi-Fi only data. You can add data on the fly through their on-board app if you are somewhere you think you need it.

Ting is also a good alternative. I'm thinking of switching to them because I should be able to reduce my bill down to $9 versus $20. I just don't use my cell phone that much that it can be worth it.

Quote: (08-20-2015 10:39 AM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

If anyone thinks that the smartphone is going away, he's deluding himself. There will always be a market for older technology, just like there still is a market for horses and carriages.

If you're a business owner and you're not making your website compatible with mobile phones, you're missing the boat.

Choice is important in order to maximize ones own budget and lifestyle wants and desires.

The horse and carriage is useful for amish people and betas who want to create a romantic date.

There are some things older tech can do better than new tech. I find the inexpensive cost of e-books that have increased my personal library and increased the number of available books on the market. However, I don't like taking notes on a computer or on a hand held device. I use a lot of post-it notes to help highlight important information that is critical to me.

Also, a lot more craftsmen intensive work is still done by hand to increase the quality of a product.

I like flip phones for harsh conditions like working in shops. Nothing like trying to handle a smartphone with filthy hands.

Quote: (08-20-2015 06:59 AM)MikeS Wrote:  

iPhones are cheapest in Canada, most expensive in Brazil:

https://bgr.com/2015/08/20/iphone-costs-...y-country/

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Dupe

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

It's amazing how many people in Japan use flip phones. Lots of them use it to pay for stuff at the counter too. Like a touch pay. I saw a Japanese man yesterday with one and of course he had the little kitty cat faces dangling on a string in red and pink. That is another thing I noticed in Japan as well. So many guys had pink ass flip phones. I think their reasons for owing these are far more cultural than money. Japanese like their own stuff. They are never going to buy American stuff regardless of how popular they are in other countries. How many homes in Japan have XBOX systems in them? Case closed. Behold the power of having your own strong and lengthy culture in your own country.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Quote: (08-20-2015 10:39 AM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

Quintus is accurate. Don't let the anomalies or the idea that "retro-revival" culture is indicating any kind of regression from smartphones. I see a lot of dudes here saying they own flip phones, but it's silly to think this is any kind of real trend thats catching on. I don't know anyone myself who owns a flip/brick phone besides my father and it's work-issued.

The cost of owning a smart phone with a data plan has always been the same relative to average cost of living. People aren't getting poorer - and cell phones are certainly not going to get cheaper. the cost of technology gradually creeps up along with inflation. Major US cities are pushing for crazy high minimum wages across the country as it is. It's just a sign of he times.

Smartphone culture and reliance on technology is at an all time high. The vast majority of people in the current generation couldn't imagine living without their smartphone.

2 of the best girlfriends I had were Japanese and did not own a smartphone by choice....just a flip phone or the old fashioned small brick model where all you could do was call, text and play the old school game "snake". These girls still had such phones in the years 2013-2015 !

A girl not owning a smartphone (by choice) in today's world is a really good positive sign she is going to be LTR material.
In fact, if you see a girl playing this game on her flip or brick phone today, you might wanna wife that up. [Image: lol.gif]

[Image: anigif_enhanced-15926-1392827492-5.gif]

Quote: (05-04-2016 10:37 AM)Mercenary Wrote:  

2 of the best girlfriends I had were Japanese and did not own a smartphone by choice....just a flip phone or the old fashioned small brick model where all you could do was call, text and play the old school game "snake". These girls still had such phones in the years 2013-2015 !

A girl not owning a smartphone (by choice) in today's world is a really good positive sign she is going to be LTR material.

If you see a young girl playing this game on her brick phone today, you might wanna wife that up.

Not exactly. Some flip phones in Japan are "smarter" than you would think. They can still chat with others and access things online or pay for things at a POS system. If it does not have a LCD screen at all, then it is a plain jane flip phone. Lots of the ones I saw were flip with a screen inside. Just because they prefer these old styles, does not necessarily mean that they are unplugged or LTR material based on that alone. You gotta look at other things to discern stuff like that.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

The girls I was with definitely had old school phones where you could do NOTHING except call and text.
I checked just to make sure.

In fact, the fun discussion about her old ass phone was part of my initial approach both times. [Image: biggrin.gif]