rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The 2016 Brazil Olympics thread

I have my tickets reserved for the summer 2016 Olympics in Brazil, which means I have about a year to prepare. There are obvious things like figuring out the language, getting in better shape shape, getting some logistics covered, but I was hoping some folks here would be more familiar with the area and could suggest some more specific things to prepare.

I was at the London games in 2012, but my mom was following me the whole time. She is staying home this time around. I constantly read about how awesome Brazil is on these forums so I know a few of you have been. I'll only have about 10 days there and I don't want to waste them wandering around looking lost.

Would you mind to break down the ticket prices?

Carry 50 reals in your pocket just in case youre robbed.
Carry a bunch of 2 reals with you in case you need to take a piss at the beach.
If you go dancing carry ear plugs.
I prefer staying in Leblon over Ipanema and Copa..
Tinder is your best friend.

Quote: (07-15-2015 10:56 AM)LINUX Wrote:  

Carry 50 reals in your pocket just in case youre robbed.
Carry a bunch of 2 reals with you in case you need to take a piss at the beach.
If you go dancing carry ear plugs.
I prefer staying in Leblon over Ipanema and Copa..
Tinder is your best friend.

Least in the city I'm in right now, the tip is to carry a 50 note in a spare pocket in case you're mugged. Hope it works in other places too.

It took 1 grand (usd) a piece for me and 3 others to reserve our tickets, we don't know for certain if we're booked for all the events we want to see, but we were early in the queue to get our preferences. I was hoping to get into the gold medal soccer match, a bunch of track and field, then maybe some wrestling.

Flights and lodging will surely cost some more on top of that

I was in Brasil in 2012. Had friends who were there for the football world cup in 2014 and their stories of prices were shocking - everything seemed to be from 3-5 times the price I paid. They also had serious problems with bars being full of gringo dudes, really diluting their novelty factor to the locals. It sounded like the worst possible time to visit the country.

Hopefully given that the Olympics don't attract as many fans, and the fans they do attract aren't as male dominated, the Olympics won't be as bad.

Yeah, I did Brazil for the world cup. I love brazil and I love the world cup, and while I had fun and succeeded in making a lot of people jealous, I'm not sure I would do it again. You pay through the nose. Going out the night before/after games was always a cockfest. As Zatara said above though, the Olympics shouldn't be as bad as the WC -- fewer fans and relatively more females. Booking hotels/hostels was a pain, and often prices were inflated. I remember one club in Recife had a $30 (USD) cover the night before the US-Germany match. Prostitutes flood in. It's Brazil though, you'll still find girls and it'll be a party.

voce sao o homen

I'm working on the language a little each day. I keep mixing up I/you/he/we/you/they, not quite sure how all the accented letters are supposed to sound, but I can pick out the few words I know so far. There is probably a better way to be doing this than duolingo, but duolingo is pretty fun. I've been english-only my whole life.

Those are good points about the ratio and the prices, maybe I'll find a way back there when there isn't a huge event going on at some point.

samurai power

Brazil is blowing up with massive protests, corruption scandals, Zika virus, and a deep recession. Olympics start there in 134 days.

Quote:Quote:

The plot of the country's political thriller is moving so fast the Brazilian media have barely had time to cover preparations for South America's first Olympics, beyond an outbreak of the Zika virus, blamed for causing brain damage in unborn babies.

It is hard to even predict who will be president of Brazil when the Olympic flame is lit in the legendary Maracana on August 5.

"The Games will be held, but after so much instability they aren't making news, and the commercial consequences of that are very serious," said Katia Rubio, a professor in the physical education department at the University of Sao Paulo.

"It's bad for the strategy of companies that invested in the Olympic project. No one wants to move ahead on Olympics-related issues right now. Considering how serious the crisis is, the Games seem like kiddie stuff," she told AFP.

http://news.yahoo.com/brazil-crisis-time...NlYwNzcg--

Quote: (03-25-2016 05:42 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Brazil is blowing up with massive protests, corruption scandals, Zika virus, and a deep recession. Olympics start there in 134 days.

The plot of the country's political thriller is moving so fast the Brazilian media have barely had time to cover preparations for South America's first Olympics, beyond an outbreak of the Zika virus, blamed for causing brain damage in unborn babies.

It is hard to even predict who will be president of Brazil when the Olympic flame is lit in the legendary Maracana on August 5.

"The Games will be held, but after so much instability they aren't making news, and the commercial consequences of that are very serious," said Katia Rubio, a professor in the physical education department at the University of Sao Paulo.

"It's bad for the strategy of companies that invested in the Olympic project. No one wants to move ahead on Olympics-related issues right now. Considering how serious the crisis is, the Games seem like kiddie stuff," she told AFP.

http://news.yahoo.com/brazil-crisis-time...NlYwNzcg--

Within a few weeks leading up to Sochi there were multiple terrorist attacks in the region the olympics were held. Also there were issues with the hotels and what not. I doubt corruption, recession or zika will keep the events from happening. Armchair activists will send out many tweets about the shit conditions and corruption but nothings going to result from it. Personally, I think both the olympic committee in charge of deciding the host country along with FIFA are extremely corrupt and have been for years now. Every big event seems to have something big going on in the region when the event happens.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson

2019 COLOMBIA MOTORCYCLE TRIP DATASHEET

Watch all the swimmers get sick from swimming through shit and all the women/sluts get zika virus.

There was a funny Taiwanese clip about the Rio Olympic Waters:

Then Response Clip:

Weren't they linking another disease with Zika virus in adults?

Just keep in mind the Zika virus creates guys like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beetlejuic...rtainer%29

[Image: t56amrZ.jpg]

So Brazil may shift in the future from a commodities exporter to a sideshow entertainment exporter.

Brazil police doing K9 practice [Image: laugh6.gif]

Does anyone have any real information on how this Olympics will go down? A lot of people aren't going due to Zika and the pollution, plus crime factor is always relevant.

Are the fevelas really close to accommodation and the games itself?

Quote: (07-25-2016 09:34 AM)RougeNoir Wrote:  

Brazil police doing K9 practice [Image: laugh6.gif]

LOL!!! Did you see how the cop put the dog in a Triangle Leg Choke?!! BJJ for the win!

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

ffs this rio accent

Bernie Ecclestone's mother in law was kidnapped in Sao Paolo this week. Kidnappers are demanding $36.5 million ransom. Let's be honest, the same media that is portraying the DNC as well organized with happy protesters, is also going to ignore the fact that Brazil is still far more third world than developed.

I have no doubt that woman has a security detail, and even they were unable to provide it for her. Next week ought to be interesting.

Quote: (07-25-2016 10:53 AM)Foolsgo1d Wrote:  

Are the fevelas really close to accommodation and the games itself?

Yes

Quote: (07-18-2016 03:14 AM)Vronski Wrote:  

If Sao Paulo has a lower homicide rate than Rio, it's simply because the favelas are not within the city but in the "periferia", contrarily to Rio where there is huge favelas (Pavao, Pavaozinho, Tabajara, Babilonia, Chapeu de Mangueira, ect) in the very heart of Zona Sul (Copacabana, Ipanema, Botafogo, Leblon, ect ect). As a side note, crime in Rio is getting worse. The favela pacification has been a huge failure, and the favela rats are back in numbers. Currently, lots of muggings -including on the beach- and arrastaos (bandits block the road and start a mass-robbing) in Zona Sul (first hand reports from Brasilian friends).

Olimpic village has no water. Some have no electricity. The pipes are clogged. Some swedes have just moved to an hotel.

Sailors are practing in water with feces and antibiotic-resistant bacteria, so they have to keep their mouths shut when it splatters.

Keeping your mouth shut doesn't matter when it comes to pathogens in water. You breath them in because at that level water can be vapour. Going to be a lot of ill people and a big cover up will ensue.

lads are saying that Australia is about to declare war against Brazil due:
1- Fecked up apartments
2- Rio's Mayor jokes about Kangaroos
3- Their apartments was literally on fire two days ago
hard time for the aussies

The favela pacification has been a huge failure, and the favela rats are back in numbers.

That's too bad. When I left in late 2009, the favela pacification was a huge success story that was working. I actually was living by a pacified favela.

Sounds like its success was tied to economic growth. Take away the growth and crime returns.

http://www.rooshv.com/bope-favela-invasion