rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Robbed/mugged

Robbed/mugged

Who has been robbed or mugged abroad or close to it? What did they get you for and how many approached you? Armed? Did you try to run or resist? What country were you in and where were you at the time of the mugging? I thought that this would incite some interesting discussion and stories.

Robbed/mugged

http://www.rooshv.com/i-got-robbed

Quote:Quote:

August 10 is Quito’s Independence Day, but the celebration started the night before. I was observing a staged reenactment in Plaza Grande until I got bored and decided to walk back to my hostel. One particular street crossing was very crowded and there was a lot of unnecessary pushing and shoving by teenagers. Two thoughts went through my head:

1. This feels like a mosh pit.
2. This is how people get their pockets picked.

I went back to the hostel and noticed my wallet was not in my front pocket. I went through three minutes of panic looking for it everywhere, even in places I knew it couldn’t be at—but it was gone. I always thought I’d feel a pick pocket, but I guess their business is making sure you don’t.

The damage was $80 and two expired credit cards I was using as mugger bait to distract the respectable stash hidden in a pouch next to my crotch. My innocence as a traveler has been lost for all eternity.

Robbed/mugged

Cusco, Peru, on a bus ride back from La Paz, Bolivia, tired as balls, had my spanish class (was living there) in 3 hours, and just wanted an hour or so of sleep first. Let me guard down for the first time and got in a cab that i knew was a bad idea. He drove past my turn, then stopped, i said fuck, doors opend 3 dudes dove in, minor fight ensued. Lost a crappy camera (the film of my trip was more important, yes this was awhile ago), a really crappy watch, and $20 maybe $80 total. They left me 3 bucks to take a taxi back to my apartement. Nicest muggers you ever met. They were however pissed that they chose the one guy on a bus full of gringo's who lived in Cusco and wasn't carrying lots of money and electronics. haha, i'll never forget the guy yelling at me "Eres un american, donde esta tu plata" Vivo aqui quieres ir a mi apartamento??? Losing money doesn't matter the loss of pride was devastating.

Robbed/mugged

Was out at in San Telmo, Buenos Aires at night with a couple of friends and was swarmed by about eight kids (12-15 years old). I was drunk. They got closer and closer, started tugging at my clothes. I'm sure they were going for my pockets so I ran as fast as I could. My friends did too. The kids threw glass bottles after us as we were making our getaway but fortunately they had probably been sniffing glue so they didn't chase and we held on to life, limb and possessions.

In rough areas of South London I had three attempted muggings. Every time I stood my ground and showed that I'm not an easy mark and got away. In one case I even ended up bumping fists with my three would be attackers and getting my watch back from them, minutes after I'd had one guy's fist a couple of inches from my face. Luckily there were no weapons involved (just threats of kicking my ass) so I stayed calm and decided not to run. A typical London mugging starts with a demand like "bruv give me your phone" and escalates from there depending on how you handle it.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Robbed/mugged

Quote: (06-02-2011 05:59 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

In rough areas of South London.

What is it with London? I've been reading a lot on here about how bad and dangerous London is like it's hell on earth and filled to the brim with criminals.

Hello.

Robbed/mugged

This is a funny one. I was in Summerville in Boston waiting for this chick to get back to her apt from work at around midnight. I left my Walkman (this was a while ago haha) on the stoop and went in the back to take a piss. When i came back it was gone, and the only people on the block that late were 2 chicks bustling down the street. I ran and caught up to them and asked them many times very nicely to give me my WM back. They were like 'what are you talking about etc. etc.'. Finally i ripped the bitched purse off her solder completely tearing off the straps and sure enough it was in there. After I got back I decided to go on the roof because I thought there might be trouble. Sure enough 2 big ass Latino dudes come running up looking for me as I watched their dumb asses and drank my beer from the roof.

Robbed/mugged

london became dangerous. i was assaulted and mugged close to chelsea bridge a few years back. like in buenos aires, there is no rule where and when it might happen

Robbed/mugged

Earlier this year I was walking home drunk from a house party around 4am here in Chicago (in Lincoln Park, not a sketchy part of the city). I passed two guys on the sidewalk and as they got parallel to me one of them suddenly took a swing and hit me in the side of the head. Before I could react I was on the ground and they took all the shit out of my pockets. Fortunately I wasn't carrying a lot of cash so all they got was $20 and a credit card and phone that I immediately deactivated. Honestly I probably should have been more aware of my surroundings but I was really fucked up and tired.

Never gotten robbed in South America. It sounds more exciting.

Robbed/mugged

Quote: (06-02-2011 06:14 PM)blurb Wrote:  

What is it with London? I've been reading a lot on here about how bad and dangerous London is like it's hell on earth and filled to the brim with criminals.

My story makes London sound way more dangerous than it actually is. Each time it happened I looked out of place near some of the roughest housing estates (projects) in the city. Same thing could have happened in almost any big city.

London is mostly safe if you stick to central areas and keep your wits about you. I've been out partying there literally hundreds of nights - at all hours of the night, taking night buses, etc. - and very rarely ran into any trouble.

That said, everything closes early and the streets empty early so a lot of areas have a dodgy feel even if you're unlikely to run into any trouble.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Robbed/mugged

In Natal, Brazil I went for a swim on the beach, leaving my Havianas on the sand. When I came back they were gone.

Robbed/mugged

I was in Dublin, Ireland for a short time. In Dublin, the crime is generally concentrated just north of the river Liffey. I was walking just a little bit north of the river in broad daylight when I saw three dirty looking guys who were maybe in their late teens, hassling the guy in front of me. The guy put his head down and just took their abuse. At this point, I realized that I was too close to them to turn around and that there was nowhere else to go, so I just made sure that I was walking upright and showing no fear, but the adrenaline was starting to pump.

I had a pair of sunglasses on and when they got close, the youngest, dirtiest looking one reaches to grab them off my face saying "gimme the glasses mate". I swatted his hand away and shoved him and made sure that my stance was set up properly in the event that I needed to throw a punch. The kid starts cussing at me, but I stayed in place, fully expecting to fight and probably get hurt because there were three of them.

The oldest one must have seen that it wasn't worth fighting and maybe getting hurt over, so he said to me "come on, mate, just walk off". I took that option and I got to leave with my dignity intact, as well as my sunglasses. They also were able to save face, since I walked away. When I was about 10 meters away, one of them said "Yeah, walk the fuck off, mate before you get yourself hurt!". Whatever, I let him have that one.

They probably went off and hassled another person after that.

Robbed/mugged

the wonders of open immigration policies...

Robbed/mugged

no, but I got a good story about one here in the states.

I was at this tiki bar and two dudes come sit next to me. I could tell they were going to be trouble. The bigger one leans in and says "hey man, can I see your phone?"

It was sitting in front of me on the bar (it is when blackberry's were new and hot).

Now let me set the stage. My gf just dumped me, I've spent all day in my attorney's office, and i'm in no mood.

I simply tell him "no.".

He looks at his friend and then looks at me and says "what would you do if I took your phone and left"?

ME: Well, first i'd shoot you in the back as you ran. Then i'd walk over your body and empty my clip. Then i'd pull my boot gun and gun your friend down in the parking lot for being a shitty excuse for an accomplice. I then turned my head and took a drink. I really did have two guns on me, both with hollow points (my profession, fyi).

I meant it. They knew it too.

They threw a $20 on the bar and walked out without saying a word...

Robbed/mugged

i love how phones seem to be a recurring thing in this thread

funny story

couple of months ago i was in a train in london during the day

i sat across a rather thuggish looking man; i was fiddling around with my blackberry for a bit and then put it away. the prick opposite me then gestured to me and asked if he could use my phone as he lost his phone in a taxi and wanted to figure out where it was.

i told him my blackberry doesn't make calls (a lie of course) and looked the other way. he then got up and moved to the section in front of us where a girl was sitting by herself. he asked her the same thing. She said she wouldn't give him her phone but that she would call the number herself instead. he gave her the number, she called it, spoke to the guy who answered and as it turned out the thug had left his phone at a friend's place which he was unaware of. he then got off the train happy he had located his phone.

even though his intentions may not have been criminal this time i'm sure he had a criminal record from here to kingdom comes; after he left the train i still felt the adrenaline going through my body and spent the next 10 minutes reliving the moment he started talking to me and coming up with better responses after he asked me for my phone.

examples:
"Sure you can see my phone...up your ass."
"Stop talking to me and looking at me motherfucker."
"Fuck you."
"No."
"Get real."
"Get lost c*nt."

it felt a bit like that scene in the first Terminator film when Arnie is in that shitty hotel operating on himself and the hotel manager knocks on this door asking if he's got a dead cat in there. "Fuck you, asshole."

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

Robbed/mugged

Was out at in San Telmo, Buenos Aires at night with a couple of friends and was swarmed by about eight kids (12-15 years old). I was drunk. They got closer and closer, started tugging at my clothes. I'm sure they were going for my pockets so I ran as fast as I could. My friends did too. The kids threw glass bottles after us as we were making our getaway but fortunately they had probably been sniffing glue so they didn't chase and we held on to life, limb and possessions.

In rough areas of South London I had three attempted muggings. Every time I stood my ground and showed that I'm not an easy mark and got away. In one case I even ended up bumping fists with my three would be attackers and getting my watch back from them, minutes after I'd had one guy's fist a couple of inches from my face. Luckily there were no weapons involved (just threats of kicking my ass) so I stayed calm and decided not to run. A typical London mugging starts with a demand like "bruv give me your phone" and escalates from there depending on how you handle it.

LOLL!!@ give me your phone..they LOVE phones in London, I have witnessed multiple stompings over fcuking mobile phones..craven cats!

Not laughing about your mugging, I hate muggings, I just chuckle over the limited ambitions of a London mugger.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Robbed/mugged

I think because London is expensive and people don't get paid a lot there in general (i.e. when you do work you get taxed so much it doesn't seem worth coming off the dole) so muggings tend to be a valid means of supplementing income.

In London, if you EVER forget anything of value anywhere, it's gone...STANDARD.

The glaring difference in Canada, I have left my phone in the cinema only to come back and have it been handed in. I've seen wallets being handed in. I have handed back found wallets etc.
Watches and so on.

There is that honour policy that exists in Canada even in the big bad Toronto..but London, I have seen some real inconsiderate bastards there, pickpockets, people snatching handbags of grannies and punching them in the face..callous cats.

Lots of stabbings (I knew one guy from school who used to carry around his mum's kitchen knife but graduated to a stanley knife later on) but now my cuz told me they are now graduating more and more to guns (the influence of American tv)

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Robbed/mugged

Quote: (06-03-2011 10:08 AM)Moma Wrote:  

LOLL!!@ give me your phone..they LOVE phones in London, I have witnessed multiple stompings over fcuking mobile phones..craven cats!

Not laughing about your mugging, I hate muggings, I just chuckle over the limited ambitions of a London mugger.

Haha! There's a big lack of ambition among the criminal classes in London. Many times I was accosted by nasty, threatening little bastards asking me for 50p who wanted to check my pockets when I told them I didn't have any change. Those were easy to brush off!

Robbed/mugged

I was having sex with a girl on a beach.

Two dudes came running out of nowhere, one pinned her down the other grabbed me from behind, knife to my throat. Took her clothes, haha!

Nothing is funnier than reality.

Robbed/mugged

Quote: (06-02-2011 08:26 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

In Natal, Brazil I went for a swim on the beach, leaving my Havianas on the sand. When I came back they were gone.

You need to bury your Havaianas when you go to the beach. The thing is, getting them buried might get them lost the same way...

[Image: sleepy.gif]

Robbed/mugged

I fell asleep while a Thai ho was giving me a massage and stole my necklace. That was four years ago and I'm still pissed off. LOL.

Robbed/mugged

Thankfully in all my world travels I've yet to be robbed and I frequently find myself in sketchy areas, drunk and drugged up to fuck and doing things I shouldn't be doing.

Robbed/mugged

I have been held up at gun point in the UK but strangely nothing has ever happend to me on my travels. The problem with some parts of the UK is wannabe gangsters who have seen too many films and a mix of Albanian Russian Polish Romanian. Turkish and Somailian criminals. I live in what most people would say is a quiet and safe part of the UK , milton keynes yet one housing estate in my town has had 5 murders this year. If you go to some of the worse estates in London is much much worse. A 15 year old carried out a contract killing for £200 not too long ago. Its one if the murders listed on the london murder map.

http://www.murdermap.co.uk/murder-map.asp

Robbed/mugged

Quote: (06-03-2011 02:23 PM)Amour Fou Wrote:  

Quote: (06-02-2011 08:26 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

You need to bury your Havaianas when you go to the beach. The thing is, getting them buried might get them lost the same way...

[Image: sleepy.gif]

Costa Rica is like that also... when i got there the guy I was staying with said if you go to the beach dont take anything because they will steal literally anything. he said if you needed to wear shoes hide them in the bushes near the beach. one guy didnt really think they would steal his flip flops, but sure enough they did.

Robbed/mugged

london is waaaay corrupt

Robbed/mugged

Wow, never thought London was that bad. Always had this idea that it would be a rather quiet city in the safety department. Fortunately, in all my travels, never had any muggings, tough I had a couple of close calls, one in Rio and another in Cebu, but fortunately and thankfully, I was alert enough and was able to get out of there without any problems. Speaking of big European capitals, I've heard that Paris has become quite dangerous and is a big ghetto in most parts nowadays, unfortunately. Anyone been in Paris recently that can chip in on that?