rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Harriet Tubman could be the new face on the $20 bill

Harriet Tubman could be the new face on the bill

A feminist group named Women on 20's started an online poll asking voters what famous female in history they should nominate to put on the U.S. $20 bill.

After 600,000 votes, the group will now present this petition to the White House requesting that the Civil War abolitionist replace the seventh president, Andrew Jackson, on the face of the $20 bill. The president has a big say in whether this actually happens, which makes me think that this very well could happen.

[Image: women-currency.jpg?enlarged]

Not a bad pick, but that is a terrible picture. She is about as bad ass as a woman can get.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Could they at least use a pre-wall picture?

Quote: (05-13-2015 11:52 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Could they at least use a pre-wall picture?

seriously. People will soon be asking "why is ET on the $20 bill?"

[Image: Et-glowing-finger.jpg]

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Feminists are trying to replace one of our manliest presidents with Harriet Tubman? This is blatant trolling. He should only be replaced by another man. Teddy Roosevelt or Dwight D. Eisenhower would be acceptable.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

^ I'm not a big Andrew Jackson fan, so I don't mind the replacement with a female. I see your point, though. I think she is a bad ass, though. On a smaller scale, sure, but still pretty hardcore. At least it isn't Susan B. Anthony.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

What's the point of earning 20% more than women if I get paid with ugly female heads (not dissing Harriet, just her looks).

Didn't Roosh have an idea for an Island Paradise? Can we go ahead and do that now?

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

This is just the start. Soon they'll be replacing Alexander Hamilton and Franklin as well. George Washington and Lincoln would be the only ones safe from change.

If they do it, will be billed (pardon the pun) as some special edition.

Jackson will still dominate the $20.

To me, I don't care as long as they use a picture that looks dignified. They should also use one where she's not 90 years old.

What's hilarious is that as usual, the arguments arise from a vacuum of ignorance.

Quote:Quote:

Andrew Jackson was a slave owner!

So were other presidents on the currency - Washington and Jefferson. Good luck trying to get anyone to agree to take those two off.

Quote:Quote:

Trail of Tears!

Although the Indian Removal Act was done under Jackson's auspices, this was really the policy of the federal government since independence and was inevitable. Jackson just gets the blame because the events happened under him, but it was the result of a long policy progression that other figures on the currency were certainly complicit in.

Let's not forget that this was the man that reinvigorated the nation in many respects. If you are a staunch democrat and unionist as these people surely are, he expanded the franchise to nearly all white men and actively prevented secessionists undermining the government's authority during the Nullification Crisis.

Then of course he fought the monied interests (albeit in a way that would produce bad long term effects) and paid off the national debt.

And as Wastelander said, this guy was one of the most masculine presidents we've ever had. Replacing him with a woman is certainly endemic of effeminacy.

I'm fine if they want to replace him with another great man like TR. At least that would be an equal trade of sorts. Not this.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

I'm sure they'd find something to bitch about in regards to Teddy Roosevelt, like his hunting or whatever, but Eisenhower is virtually unassailable. No provable evidence of racism and he led the Western armies that defeated the ultimate eternal left-wing boogeymen villains of pure evil forever and ever, the Nazis.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Two reasons why this won't happen:

1. Changing anything on currency is ridiculously expensive. All the printing plates have to be changed.

2. In the US, currency with specific women on it is historically unsuccessful. Think about the Susan B. Anthony dollar or the Sacajawea dollar. One was a massive failure, and the other basically disappeared from the public eye.

The only reason why anyone even thinks this is a good idea is the constant pushing of Jackson's responsibility for the Trail of Tears. Nobody blames Harrison for Wounded Knee. Hell, Theodore Roosevelt was president during the Philippine Insurrection, one of the most brutal wars the US has ever been involved in.

Also, 600,000 signatures is nothing. We live in a country of 320,000,000+ people.

If you're not fucking her, someone else is.

Quote: (05-13-2015 12:39 PM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

I'm sure they'd find something to bitch about in regards to Teddy Roosevelt, like his hunting or whatever, but Eisenhower is virtually unassailable. No provable evidence of racism and he led the Western armies that defeated the ultimate eternal left-wing boogeymen villains of pure evil forever and ever, the Nazis.

FDR was president during world war 2 and fought the nazi's, not ike eisenhower. ike was 1952 to 1960, had a solid presidency, but he was no fdr.

People will bitch about Theodore Roosevelt's belief in the White Man's Burden, and say things like "he was a racist." That is committing the sin of presentism (looking at the past through the lens of the present). In reality, TR's beliefs weren't particularly different from the majority of people at the time.

As for Ike, he was an outstanding president, but I wouldn't really say that his leadership defeated the Nazis. 90% of all Germans killed were killed on the Eastern Front. Ike was outstanding at logistics and keeping a very diverse group of allies together. Remember, it wasn't just the Americans and British. It was also the Polish, Free French, Italians (after Sep. 1943), Brazilians, Mexicans, and quite a few others.

If you're not fucking her, someone else is.

I can indeed think of a few at the bat with TR.

But there is one thing is bitchable about Eisenhower: he's another straight, cis, white man.

The campaign is Womenon20s. They just use Jackson as a scapegoat because he was bad, or something.

@eradicator: He means that Eisenhower was the supreme commander of the European campaign.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

Quote: (05-13-2015 12:44 PM)eradicator Wrote:  

FDR was president during world war 2 and fought the nazi's, not ike eisenhower. ike was 1952 to 1960, had a solid presidency, but he was no fdr.

Ike was the Supreme Allied Commander during the war, bro.

Quote: (05-13-2015 12:45 PM)Truth Teller Wrote:  

As for Ike, he was an outstanding president, but I wouldn't really say that his leadership defeated the Nazis. 90% of all Germans killed were killed on the Eastern Front. Ike was outstanding at logistics and keeping a very diverse group of allies together. Remember, it wasn't just the Americans and British. It was also the Polish, Free French, Italians (after Sep. 1943), Brazilians, Mexicans, and quite a few others.

Noted, but we're Americans and Americans don't really give a shit about the historical contributions other nations made to the war effort.

[Image: american.gif]

I've heard of like 5 of the 20 of the women on this list.
http://www.womenon20s.org/results

I really wish the dollar coins caught on though, those are pretty handy when you travel to other countries. Susan B Anthony and Sacajewea were repped on those. I don't know why people don't think women haven't been on US currency before.

http://time.com/money/3754777/countries-women-currency/

These are the examples of the persons on currencies they compare to and shame the US for not having women on "paper" currency.

1. Syria- a Queen
2. Philippines- First female President of an Asian Country
3. Turkey- Women's Novelist and Women's Right's Advocate
4. Mexico- Frida Kahlo
5. Argentina- Evita
6. New Zealand- Queen Elizabeth
7. Isreal- Some female Poet
8. Sweden- Nobel Prize in Literature
9. Australia- Queen Elizabeth, Some politician/writer
10. England- Queen of England

See a trend here?

Also, when you compare the accomplishments of Tubman, they really pale in comparison to many of the other females on foreign currency. The others are academics, artists, poets, royalty. Basically high status females who have contributed to the arts, politics, literature, etc. Tubman was a poor woman who freed 300 slaves through an underground railroad network. While that's certainly admirable, do you think its really worthy of putting on a currency, given the standards established in the article above by Time Magazine? The fact that she won this "poll" kind of shows the relative minor accomplishments of American Women in the grand scheme of the world.

Dupe thread: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-38762.html

You don't get there till you get there

Quote: (05-13-2015 12:15 PM)Icepasian Wrote:  

This is just the start. Soon they'll be replacing Alexander Hamilton and Franklin as well. George Washington and Lincoln would be the only ones safe from change.

All the more reason to not use bills and change and just use a debit card.

Quote: (05-13-2015 12:52 PM)Drazen Wrote:  

I really wish the dollar coins caught on though, those are pretty handy when you travel to other countries. Susan B Anthony and Sacajewea were repped on those. I don't know why people don't think women haven't been on US currency before.

These are the examples of the persons on currencies they compare to and shame the US for not having women on "paper" currency.

1. Syria- a Queen
4. Mexico- Frida Kahlo
5. Argentina- Evita

See a trend here?

Also, when you compare the accomplishments of Tubman, they really pale in comparison to many of the other females on foreign currency. The others are academics, artists, poets, royalty. Basically high status females who have contributed to the arts, politics, literature, etc. Tubman was a poor woman who freed 300 slaves through an underground railroad network. While that's certainly admirable, do you think its really worthy of putting on a currency, given the standards established in the article above by Time Magazine? The fact that she won this "poll" kind of shows the relative minor accomplishments of American Women in the grand scheme of the world.

Escaping from slavery twice, risking your life and freedom to help free your compatriots, and serving in the American Civil War "pales in comparison" to painting self-portraits and writing poetry?

I think they should leave the money alone, but Harriet Tubman at least as much if not more than most of the women on that list.

Currency is the vehicle for the aristocratic class. Those on it should represent that. Its a little old school thinking, but I think money should carry prestige.

Quote: (05-13-2015 12:40 PM)Truth Teller Wrote:  

Two reasons why this won't happen:

1. Changing anything on currency is ridiculously expensive. All the printing plates have to be changed.

2. In the US, currency with specific women on it is historically unsuccessful. Think about the Susan B. Anthony dollar or the Sacajawea dollar. One was a massive failure, and the other basically disappeared from the public eye.

The only reason why anyone even thinks this is a good idea is the constant pushing of Jackson's responsibility for the Trail of Tears. Nobody blames Harrison for Wounded Knee. Hell, Theodore Roosevelt was president during the Philippine Insurrection, one of the most brutal wars the US has ever been involved in.

Also, 600,000 signatures is nothing. We live in a country of 320,000,000+ people.

They change coins constantly because coin collectors act as an (albeit minor) inflation sink. Think about it, the government prints $1.41 and not only does someone buy the proof set and hoard it out of circulation, but they pay like $30 for it. That's why once that fifty states quarter run ended they decided to start it up again, and add the presidential dollar coins to boot.

Although I'll give them credit, those presidential dollars will be amusing to own once they get to all the retard presidents of the late 20th century.

Quote: (05-13-2015 01:51 PM)Enigma Wrote:  

Quote: (05-13-2015 12:52 PM)Drazen Wrote:  

1. Syria- a Queen
4. Mexico- Frida Kahlo
5. Argentina- Evita

See a trend here?

Escaping from slavery twice, risking your life and freedom to help free your compatriots, and serving in the American Civil War "pales in comparison" to painting self-portraits and writing poetry?

I think they should leave the money alone, but Harriet Tubman at least as much if not more than most of the women on that list.

Take out Queen Elizabeth who was born into her position and did nothing to earn it. Take out Evita who married into her position. Take out Frida Kahlo who was a shitty artist. Harriet Tubman easily outranks them on merit. I don't know about the others but they probably weren't risking their lives day in and day out.

The Underground Railroad was a very potent symbol despite the small number of slaves who successfully escaped. People knew it was out there and either feared it or prayed for it. It was a big deal.

If civilization had been left in female hands we would still be living in grass huts. - Camille Paglia

Quote: (05-13-2015 02:10 PM)Grange Wrote:  

Take out Queen Elizabeth who was born into her position and did nothing to earn it. Take out Evita who married into her position. Take out Frida Kahlo who was a shitty artist. Harriet Tubman easily outranks them on merit. I don't know about the others but they probably weren't risking their lives day in and day out.

The Underground Railroad was a very potent symbol despite the small number of slaves who successfully escaped. People knew it was out there and either feared it or prayed for it. It was a big deal.

Merit has nothing to do with it. Its what the person on the currency represents. Power, prestige, culture. Queen Elizabeth, Evita, Frida may not have put their lives at risk freeing slaves or working in the underground railroad, but they are important symbols about the power of a nation.

Putting someone that is not part of the aristocracy on currency cheapens it.