rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Which country do you consider the champion of Latin America?

Every region has that country that dominates their region politically, economically, and culturally.

For instance in the west, America pretty much is considered that superpower that everyone loves and hates. Americans are seen as arrogant and entitled by many in Europe and the world. There is a lot of love but at the same time envy which comes with the territory of being the world's lonely superpower.

Asia has Japan and South Korea as the big powers that the rest of the Asian countries kind of looks up to. You even have Americans who are in love with everything Japan, K-pop etc...

In Africa I'm not too sure. Maybe South Africa or Nigeria? African cats could correct me if I'm wrong here.

Not sure about the Middle East.

But when it comes to Latin America, which country is considered to be that big Latin country that everyone loves, hates and envy's? Due to politics, economics, culture or whatever.

You mean Brazil? Who else compares... Mexico?

Quote: (05-12-2015 05:46 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

You mean Brazil? Who else compares... Mexico?

Why do you think these two?

I would say Mexico.

Brazil would be second.

In my mind Mexico has always been the country which represent Latin America (don't know why though).

Both of the country have a solid soft power all around the world but I think Mexican culture is more famous especially the food.

Also from what I heard, people in the Central American apparently like to hate on Mexico, I don't know if the same if true for Brazil in South America.

This thread will probably be locked, but it can be looked at in a few ways.

Colombia would be have to up there in a glamour sense - think of all the Hollywood movies based on the cocaine trade.

Argentina is the envy of most Latin American countries, whether they can admit that or not is up to them.

Two reasons, Latin American countries always want to prove how "European" they are. Second, Argentina has by far the most historically successful soccer team after Brazil, which depending who you ask - is not real Latin America.

At the risk of not taking this thread as a troll (1/10, absolutely no trolling grace) Having lived in Latin America for 4 years (inconsecutively) and 2.5 of that being solely Mexico...I will say Mexico is leaps and bounds ahead of every other country down there; with the major exceptions of Colombia, and Brazil. I have zero experience with these two countries so I can not comment. But if you realize how massive, and culturally diverse Mexico really is, compared to its peers, and whence thinking of their lack of eternal funds, Mexico has my bet.

I don't think that any Latin American countries can really be considered champions until they get their shit together and put an end to the crime and especially corruption that are rife in everyone of them. Until that happens there will only be losers, the common folk, it really is a shame because the region is rich in culture, history, natural resources and really decent, hardworking people but the upper classes do everything they can to fuck over their own people and keep the wealth to themselves.

Nevermind.

I thought this would be about which has the hottest women. Brazil, Colombia, argentinia, maybe mexico.

In West Asia, it used to be Lebanon. Currently, anime culture is pretty crazy there, lots of Kdrama lovers too. The hottest food is sushi.

Now, everyone in that region is experiencing a sort of indentity crisis. And the actual region is experiencing changes à la Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Who knows what may come of it.

Yes Mexico is in North America, it used to extend into the States.
I'd say Brazil is the champion Latin American country because of the sheer amount of Japanese Brazilian girls.

Out of the woodwork, into the night, onto the moonlit veranda.

Quote: (05-12-2015 07:41 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I don't think that any Latin American countries can really be considered champions until they get their shit together and put an end to the crime and especially corruption that are rife in everyone of them. Until that happens there will only be losers, the common folk, it really is a shame because the region is rich in culture, history, natural resources and really decent, hardworking people but the upper classes do everything they can to fuck over their own people and keep the wealth to themselves.

Agreed. I've been around latin culture my whole life and been traveling through Latin America for just as long and there is no way that I will ever live in any of those countries. I'll visit them, and probably visit them frequently, but that's it. For me, first tier U.S. cities are the only places that make sense. In a way, I envy and am impressed by you guys who are staying in Colombia for weeks or months at a time. I would go for a week or two, get some notches, then get the hell out of there with no regrets about either going or leaving.

Also thought this was going to be about girls.

As for champions of Latin America, in your regard, I would probably say Brazil due to rising economy, hosting of World Cup and Olympics, sheer size of the country, plus a different language/culture than most of Latin America.

I also agree that a Latin Country will never become a great power until they get things in order such as corruption and violence.

Quote: (05-12-2015 09:15 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Agreed. I've been around latin culture my whole life and been traveling through Latin America for just as long and there is no way that I will ever live in any of those countries. I'll visit them, and probably visit them frequently, but that's it. For me, first tier U.S. cities are the only places that make sense. In a way, I envy and am impressed by you guys who are staying in Colombia for weeks or months at a time. I would go for a week or two, get some notches, then get the hell out of there with no regrets about either going or leaving.

Can you expand on this? I'm curious.

My quality of life is way better down here in LA than it is in North America. Granted I don't make a lot of money so that plays a role, but I live a much better life down here than in the US or Canada (and I even say this as I intend to move to the US this fall).

-------------

Latin America has two regional powers: Brazil and México. You have to consider that Latin America is more of a cultural grouping of countries rather than a true geographical one.

México displays it's power in Central America, while Brazil displays it's power in South America, particularly in the Southern Cone.

Culturally it's a little more complicated. Because Brazil has the only Portuguese based culture, the diffusion of it's culture doesn't penetrate as deeply as you would expect from a regional power. For the most part, Brazil's culture is kind of a closed off laboratory which can actually be argued has contributed to it's deep roots and diversity within the country. Although, in the last 10-20 years Brazilians have become a lot more mobile with the rise of the middle class. In recent years, you can find a number of Brazilians working and living in South America, particularly in the Mercosur countries. México on the other hand dominates Latin American culture, especially in the popular arts. Music, cinema, art from México diffuses into the entire region. Most of the most famous actors and movies from Latin America are from Mexico.

Economically, Brazil is really starting to take a major role in South America's trade and general economic zone. Besides much of the raw resource exportation, most of the high end manufactured goods, particularly in agriculture, are developed in Brazil. They also have by far the best overall GDP in the region. México will always have a pretty dominant role in Central America due to their integration with the US however, and it remains to see just how much Brazil can continue it's economic expansion.

At one point Venezuela could have been made as a case (the same could be said for Argentina way back in the day) as a regional power. Venezuela seemed prime to be a power in the Andean region but in the last 20 years or so their institutions have crumbled due to a number of political and economic factors.

Into the future Brazil, Argentina, and Chile will dominate Latin America, particularly South America, economically. In fact, in as little as 10-20 years or so Chile might very well be a first world country in terms of GDP per capita. Argentina is rife with political problems but they still remain a fairly important piece of the region in terms of culture and economics.

------------

Another thing worth noting is Latin America has never been a region where a regional power has used hard power on other nations. Since nationalization, besides a few minor border skirmishes and the Triple Alliance War, Latin America has been extremely peaceful as a region. Part of this is because of the US' dominant role in international politics in the region but another reason is because, particularly in the 60s-80s, much of military power was turned towards domestic uses rather than external threats. The military in most Latin American countries is quite fused to the greater state apparatus rather than a separate institution like you see in other countries. What this means is that regional powers have come up in Latin America through economic means rather than through their military might. This is in stark contrast to other regions, such as Europe and the Middle East (and more recently East Asia) where military power plays a strong role in the formation of the balance of power between nations.

Quote: (05-12-2015 05:44 PM)MidWest Wrote:  

Every region has that country that dominates their region politically, economically, and culturally.

But when it comes to Latin America, which country is considered to be that big Latin country that everyone loves, hates and envy's? Due to politics, economics, culture or whatever.

Brazil absolutely crushes the rest of South America in terms of economic power (GDP).

Politically? I'd say Brazil again, mainly due to its economic status.

Culturally? Hard to really compare.

As for the import stuff (girls), well, I've only been to Brazil and I liked what I saw. A lot.

Merenguero, In Colombia, I dont see how living in a nice swanky pad with security in a nice area, having a car and driver, and living a way freer life than in America, is a negative. Unless your first tier city is New York or Chicago and even there you are butt fucked, in other ways.
Yes, I wouldnt get myself involved in politics, corruption or crime in Latin America, but other that that life is pretty damn good, as long as you have at least 2000 dollars a month in income.

Quote: (05-12-2015 11:22 PM)Fader Wrote:  

Quote: (05-12-2015 05:44 PM)MidWest Wrote:  

Brazil absolutely crushes the rest of South America in terms of economic power (GDP).

Politically? I'd say Brazil again, mainly due to its economic status.

Culturally? Hard to really compare.

As for the import stuff (girls), well, I've only been to Brazil and I liked what I saw. A lot.

In GDP it maybe crushes the rest of South America but that is short sighted. The economic boom is based on the commodity boom that will come to and end some day.

However, other countries with lower GDPs are structurally better organized and more grinding towards being a real developed country. Brazil is very protectionistic and bureaucratic and other countries do that better for example.

Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina could all lay a claim to that title. Mexico for it's media/culture and proximity to the USA, Brazil for it's economic/industrial prowess, and Argentina for it's culture and exemplary status as a stable nation.

Honorable mentions to Chile and Uruguay, who also are modern, first world countries with middle classes.

Personally, I actually prefer the out-in-the-open corruption of poorer countries to the "we're listening to all your phone calls, have a policeman on every corner, and push propaganda 24/7" corruption of the US.

There are obviously more opportunities in the US, but that's simply the product of a stronger economy. It's not some political or corporate altruism. They would love to fleece every one of us, if given the opportunity.

Quote: (06-04-2015 10:48 AM)blacknwhitespade Wrote:  

Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina could all lay a claim to that title. Mexico for it's media/culture and proximity to the USA, Brazil for it's economic/industrial prowess, and Argentina for it's culture and exemplary status as a stable nation.

Honorable mentions to Chile and Uruguay, who also are modern, first world countries with middle classes.

Argentina?

Stable?

Not their economy.

Maybe you are confusing Argentina with Chile.

Chile is far more stable but their culture is nothing special.

The "champion" of Latin america has to be Mexico or Brazil due to sheer size, culture, military, political and regional power with a slight edge given to Brazil in my opinion. Politically Brazil's reach extends far into central america as demonstrated in their intervention in Honduras a few years ago.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Quote: (06-04-2015 02:54 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

Argentina?

Stable?

Not their economy.

Well, their financial system is far from stable, considering all the crises they have had in the last 30 years + their strong black market currency system.

However, Argentina by GDP per capita is the second richest country in Latin America when you control for little island nations like Antigua and Barbuda, Trinidad and Tobago, and the Bahamas. In fact, it's only a couple thousand less than Chile, which ranks number one.

Furthermore, Buenos Aires is a world class city and is as developed and organized as pretty much any North American city.

Argentina is a lot more developed than people give it credit for.

Brazil seems enticing to me based on some of my interactions with Brazilian locals. I also enjoy many of the cultural elements (music, food, dance, etc.).

Just for fun, I attempted to pipeline. Not too many bites, but that was probably on my end. [Image: wink.gif] I don't even mind learning some portuguese.

Maine and Canadian lobsters are the same animal. Prove me wrong.

Brazil for me too, and Mexico for holidays only.

I hear the women are pretty bad, but Chile by far the best in terms of economy and stability. A Chilean passport is one of the best in the world right now.

Quote: (06-05-2015 04:14 PM)travolta Wrote:  

I hear the women are pretty bad, but Chile by far the best in terms of economy and stability. A Chilean passport is one of the best in the world right now.

I found Chilean women to be incredibly sexy.

In terms of women's attractiveness? colombia and venezuela, ridiculously hot women, some of them put em titties and you just cannot say "no" to them.