rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Calories For Weight Loss and ALA question

I have decided to get a bit more specific on my diet.

I have been doing IF with low carbs.

I am 5' 10'' and 188 lbs. I figure if I drop 8 lbs I should tighten up pretty nicely.

I looked at this calculator.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calorie-...esults.htm

I lift heavy 3 times a week and box 3 times a week.

So this is the multiplier I should be using, correct (see below)? My lifting sessions go over an hour and boxing does also. However, I can't always say I hit 90 minutes. Also, if my calcs are wrong, I would end up gaining weight if I was eating too much.

BMR x 1.725 for active individuals (exercising 6-7 days/week at moderate to high intensity (70-85% MHR) for 45-60 minutes/session)

ALA Question
Also, I know ALA is great if you are taking carbs. If I take ALA and I am not on carbs does it help accelerate fat loss at all? I googled a bit and people recommend ALA but I want to make sure that there is value taking ALA when not taking carbs.

Thanks so much.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I'd shoot for around 2250-2300 calories daily. That should put you at about a 500 cal deficit each day.

How much are you eating and what is your macro percentage breakdown at the moment?

Can't speak on ALA but I'd suggest to keep up with the carbs with all the cardio you do.

peterthephoenix,

Thanks for the response. I guess I am sort of new to all this. I am not sure what you mean by macro.

My routine is to wake up pop a bunch of BCAAs. The lift or box. If I lifted, I swing by Burger King to get a small cheeseburger to get some quick carbs. I know it is not ideal, I eat it after I drink my 2 scoops of whey protein. I ordered some post workout drink that will replace this approach. I have read that quick carbs is important after lifting.

By now it is 10:30 or 11 depending.

I may snack on some bacon after that. Then I make a giant cobb salad, mixed with bacon, ranch (I try to go easy), some salami, tomatoes and lately a little guacamole. All very low carb.

Pop a few gummy bears with fiber.

Later in the day a quest bar as a reward and then my vitamins and supplements.

My eating window is about 6 hours tops.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (03-19-2015 11:11 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

peterthephoenix,

Thanks for the response. I guess I am sort of new to all this. I am not sure what you mean by macro.

My routine is to wake up pop a bunch of BCAAs. The lift or box. If I lifted, I swing by Burger King to get a small cheeseburger to get some quick carbs. I know it is not ideal, I eat it after I drink my 2 scoops of whey protein. I ordered some post workout drink that will replace this approach. I have read that quick carbs is important after lifting.

By now it is 10:30 or 11 depending.

I may snack on some bacon after that. Then I make a giant cobb salad, mixed with bacon, ranch (I try to go easy), some salami, tomatoes and lately a little guacamole. All very low carb.

Pop a few gummy bears with fiber.

Later in the day a quest bar as a reward and then my vitamins and supplements.

My eating window is about 6 hours tops.

I think that when people ask for a rendition of macros they are talking about your approximation of carbs, fats and proteins.

For example I try to stay on the lower side of 20-30% carbs, the higher side of 40-60% fat and adequate protein 25% or more. Within those macro-calories it would be important to understand if you are eating good quality foods, too. For example, even though there may be a lot of protein in a hotdog, generally, it is NOT as good of a protein source as other non-processed form of meat.

By the way, about 3 years ago, I discontinued with the gummy bear fiber. I recall reading that they are really a bad source of fiber, and it should be obvious since they are processed foods... but anyhow, we do NOT always realize that we may be doing bad things with certain kinds of foods.

By the way, what kinds of oils do you use to cook? Do you eat real butter or imitation? Burger king is NOT good, but maybe o.k. once in a while.. same with ranch, but maybe o.k. in small doses.

Yeah that BMR ratio is ok as a starting point. However, you will need to monitor and make adjustments after 2-4 weeks. We don't all respond the same way.

With macro ratio, it really depends on your diet history and current BF% and LBM. I'd advise not to make radical changes, but gradual ones instead. If you want to go low carbs, do it slowly i.e reduce X% in # carb grams every 2 weeks while adding the same calories in protein and fats.

Strike hit ot on the head...on weight lifting days i would eat approx. 400 extra calories with 90% of this 400 calories coming from carbs, complex carbs. The other 10% of the 200 cal cones from fish oils. Protein always high at least 2g per lbs of body weight.
Remember, you can trigger a caloric deficit via cardio or via your diet. You get faster results via your diet.

edit: just read about ur bk cheeseburger...ditch it.
i didnt check that calc but i took my daily cals and multiplied them by your weight...so my daily cals are 2756×0.9 <~~ thats about a 180lbs man = 2480 would be ur approx maintence. 2480 - 30% <~~ ur cut and u reallu should be eating 1736 calories on non workout days. 2g / lb of bodyweight will be protein. Rest of cals goes into carbs/fats. Now i noticed ur on ir feet a lot and busy. So give yourself a 300cal leeway. I believe 1736~2036 will give you the maximum fat loss with almost NO muscle loss. Im assuming u know how to do the math to find out if you lost any muscle after a 2 week period. If not let me know and I will tell you. Good luck.

Yeah, are you counting carbs? It's best to find how your body responds to certain carb intake. You should manipulate your diet by keeping protein around 1g/lb or whatever, then watching carbs, and the rest make up with fat.

I find I can cut pretty well from 0g-50g a day but get dehydrated and have too many bad keto symptoms.

50g-120g carbs is great for me, and usually where I land.

Try to find which amount of carbs works for you, then go from there.

On non lift days I try to do no carbs. I have pretty good energy.

My post workout stuff came in the mail so I won't be getting that hamburger, I think I only did it 4 or 5 times. I just remembered that I needed carbs after lifting.

My one concern about the new post workout item is that it has creatine monohyrate in it. I am hoping I don't gain a lot of water using it. This is the product I am going to start trying tomorrow. Just for lift days.

http://www.amazon.com/Recharge-Naturally...B00GOD0SRC

Yikes - went off diet these past 24 hours - feeling all off [Image: sad.gif]

If you're trying to lean down, creatine isn't the best the solution as it aids more in muscle building and has a water retention effect. I'd look into something more like dandelion root (natural, can be a tea) which helps keep the water weight off.

I wouldn't do no carbs on non lifting days, but would go slightly higher fat and slightly lower carbs compared to lifting days which can be slightly higher carbs slightly lower fats.

BCAA before a fasted workout is a good call. Stop eating Burger King, that shit is terrible for you.

When I said macros it's how much protein, fats and carbs you're taking in. I'd shoot for 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs. I.e each day's food composition (within your eating window) would be roughly 150g of protein (900 cal), 75g of fat (675 cal), and 96g of carbs (675 cal).

I follow Greg over at Kinobody if you want to see the kind of physique I'm shooting for.

Quote: (03-22-2015 10:14 PM)peterthephoenix Wrote:  

If you're trying to lean down, creatine isn't the best the solution as it aids more in muscle building and has a water retention effect. I'd look into something more like dandelion root (natural, can be a tea) which helps keep the water weight off.

I wouldn't do no carbs on non lifting days, but would go slightly higher fat and slightly lower carbs compared to lifting days which can be slightly higher carbs slightly lower fats.

BCAA before a fasted workout is a good call. Stop eating Burger King, that shit is terrible for you.

When I said macros it's how much protein, fats and carbs you're taking in. I'd shoot for 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs. I.e each day's food composition (within your eating window) would be roughly 150g of protein (900 cal), 75g of fat (675 cal), and 96g of carbs (675 cal).

I follow Greg over at Kinobody if you want to see the kind of physique I'm shooting for.

Thanks for the input. Did you buy that Greek God Program?

At least boxing fits within his program.
Quote:Quote:

Well just because I say lift three days per week, doesn’t mean you can’t do other activities on your rest days. Cardio, abs training, stretching/yoga/mobility work is all okay to do on rest days. Since it creates little to no central nervous system fatigue.

Quote: (03-22-2015 03:03 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

On non lift days I try to do no carbs. I have pretty good energy.

My post workout stuff came in the mail so I won't be getting that hamburger, I think I only did it 4 or 5 times. I just remembered that I needed carbs after lifting.

My one concern about the new post workout item is that it has creatine monohyrate in it. I am hoping I don't gain a lot of water using it. This is the product I am going to start trying tomorrow. Just for lift days.

http://www.amazon.com/Recharge-Naturally...B00GOD0SRC

Yikes - went off diet these past 24 hours - feeling all off [Image: sad.gif]

Triple Sam: When you say that you "went off" diet, what do you mean?

You drank a lot of liquor, ate cake and ice cream and drank slurpies, or something else? smoking cigarrettes and other drugs and falling prey to various temptations to eat cheatos or other processed foods?

Personally, I always claim to be on my diet and following my diet; however, there may be days in which I will join in on some of these kinds of foods, and really, I do NOT consider it too bad to have one or two days of some practical deviation, and I attempt to get back on, soon thereafter. Most of the time, my little deviations will come when traveling or sometimes socializing or sometimes having difficulties finding foods in which I know the ingredients and suspect bad ingredients.

Sometimes you will just be in environments where you cannot find the right foods for the right prices, and if you are around people who do NOT give a shit about those kinds of considerations, then the task can even be more challenging.

Haha just some candy. But it added up.

I sent you a Pm.

Greek God workout has been working really well for me. Don't sweat a little candy in the long run, but don't keep it as a habit.

Quote: (03-23-2015 06:42 AM)peterthephoenix Wrote:  

I sent you a Pm.

Greek God workout has been working really well for me. Don't sweat a little candy in the long run, but don't keep it as a habit.

I'd also be really interested to know more about this. The guy has obviously built a great physique and got very strong in the process. His style of presentation doesn't really jive with me though, not sure why, so I've never gone as far as looking into his work with more detail. I'd be interested to know your thoughts and experiences, particularly if you've been following one of his diet plans. He's obviously managed to build a great figure without getting fat, which is no mean feat for a guy who's not getting any assistance.

Quote: (03-23-2015 07:32 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Quote: (03-23-2015 06:42 AM)peterthephoenix Wrote:  

I sent you a Pm.

I'd also be really interested to know more about this. The guy has obviously built a great physique and got very strong in the process. His style of presentation doesn't really jive with me though, not sure why, so I've never gone as far as looking into his work with more detail. I'd be interested to know your thoughts and experiences, particularly if you've been following one of his diet plans. He's obviously managed to build a great figure without getting fat, which is no mean feat for a guy who's not getting any assistance.

Yep, I'd like to hear more info about your experiences with this workout program.

Bust out a datasheet!

It's a program I can recommend.

Datasheet busted.
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-46182-...85710.html