rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How divorce works, datasheet.

I wanted to start a thread to share some of the knowledge which Ive gained about how marriage and divorce operates. I have a pretty good understanding of how the law operates in community property states, from work, but not so much of how things work in other states. Again, I am no expert on this stuff, but this is a general framework of how things work.

Before I get into the meat of it though, I want to bring something important up: "Co-habitating" with a woman, aka f***ing her and letting her live with you, may grant the woman some benefits of marital protection, even if you are not married. : There is a very famous case out there called Marvin - it basically says that if two people live together, and either person ever tells the other "don't worry about finances, you don't need to pay rent with me" that person has just created an oral contract with the person - as a result, if woman is "in the know", she can goto court after you guys break up and force you to pay her rent until she sorts her life out.

Now, moving on to actual marriage...

Community property states
There are two kinds of systems of marriage in the USA: Marriage in i) Community property states, and ii) common law states (non community property)

There are nine community property states: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin. (and according to wikip, Alaska, which provides the option to select community property division.

How your property is divided upon divorce
In a community property state, all property which you own before marriage, as well as all property which you acquire by a gift, inheritance, or is the profit of any property which you own before marriage, is your separate property. That means that when you file for a divorce, all of this property, which you brought into the marriage, is given back to you - your wife takes none of this property. There may be an exception for businesses however:

If you bring a business into a marriage, upon divorce, the court will always assign your principal investment into the business back to you. In other words, if you invested $500,000 into a business before you got married, the court can never touch this initial $500,000. However, the court may, distribute some of the income of the business which was acquired during the course of the marriage. There are two ways the courts will do this:

i) the courts may treat all the business income from the marriage as community property, and split it 50/50 ; if you made $1 mil profit during the marriage, your wife takes $500k and you take $500k.

ii) the courts may assign the martial community a "reasonable salary," while you keep the rest of the income. In other words, if your business makes $1mil, the court may determine that a reasonable salary for the business was $100k a year - if you were married for 3 years, the courts would grant the community $300k, which is then divided 50/50 between you and your wife. So, as a result, your wife would take 150k, and you would take the remaining 850k of the 1 million income.

^ Obviously, you want the court to go with option #2, because that way you take more, but the court weighs multiple factors into determining which formula to use.

Also, any profits from property you own before divorce is also separate property, and the courts don't touch this: if you made a real estate investment before marriage which grows in value, the courts can't touch the value which accrued during the marriage, because that is the profit of a separate property.

Aside from what is noted above, the income of both spouses during marriage is generally communuty property and thus divided equally.

Co-mingled bank accounts Note, there is an exception for co-mingled bank accounts - if you put your separate property funds (like income from business or whatever) into a co-mingled bank account to which your wife has access to, or from which community purchases are made, the courts may imply a gift of the funds to the community, and these funds can be split 50/50. So, rule: always keep your separate property in separate accounts.

However, implied-contract rules apply...
Despite receiving the protections of the community property/separate property system mentioned above, a lot of men may get screwed if the court implies a contract between you and your wife. This may occur if you tell your wife "I will make all the money here, and you stay home and raise the children!". Upon divorce, the court may find that you created an oral or implied contract with your wife, and she relied on this contract to her detriment. As a result of this, you may be forced to pay spousal support for X amount of time until the wife gets her shit together - you can petition this order every once in a while, but it is expensive. So... how to get around this?

Prenups.
A pre-nuptual agreement is one which designates whether property or funds acquired during marriage are separate property or community property. Also, prenuptial agreements may explicitly state that the upon divorce, neither spouse is entitled to spousal support. Beyond that, you can also decide anything you want in a pre-nup. The one thing which cannot be waived in a pre-nup is alimony paid out to raise children - this is considered to be against public policy.

but, warning...
A court may designate a pre-nuptial agreement as "unconscionable" and thereby ineffective if: before signing i) both spouses did not receive a disclosure of assets of the other spouse, ii) spouse did not have 7 days to sign the agreement, and iii) spouse did not receive a written statement that she should consult an independent attorney.

Also, if you and your wife get married in a different country, but then move to a community property state like California or Washington and become domiciled by buying a home there, the wife can then declare a divorce and be entitled to the protections of the community property state system - Ive heard of a case where a rich arab guy bought a house with his wife in Texas because he was doing some oil contracts there, temporarily, but the wife quickly filed for divorce and took a substantial part of his business income. Snake.

Recommendations If you are interested in marriage, my take-aways are:

1. Wait to get married - If you build up your life before you get married, and get your finances and business in order before marriage, and then store them in a separate account, your wife will never touch this money because it is "separate property."

2. Get a pre-nup - Don't be a bitch about it. No matter what, get a pre-nup. See an attorney before marriage to learn the lingo, or read-up online - Let your future wife know that designating the character of your property is an important financial decision for you in your journey to financial freedom. If she is interested in being a partner with you, she should value financial integrity, and this would help you see that you are both on the same page.

3. Get a post-nup: If you did not get a pre-nup, you may still get a post-nup.

4. Make sure your wife works. This way, if you do, unfortunately, get divorced, she can't say that she can't support herself to obtain spousal support.

Its a real shame stuff like this is needed.

Anyways, thanks for the datasheet. Good read.

Google "predatory female by rev. Shannon", read the book and you'll never think about getting married again. It's very fun to read.

A whore ain't nothing but a trick to a pimp. (Iceberg Slim)
Beauty is in the erection of the beholder. (duedue)
Grab your life by the pussy.
A better question to ask is "What EXACTLY do I want out of life and what EXACTLY am I doing to get EXACTLY that? If you can answer that question truthfully you will be the most Alpha motherfucker you will ever need to be. (PapayaTapper)

I cannot emphasize this enough: GET A PRE-NUP.

Not doing so puts your retirement at risk. Imagine building up your 401k or IRA to a nicely growing nest egg, and then have half of it taken away in a divorce. That would be a horrible, horrible feeling if that happened. A simple pre-nup and $500 would prevent all of this from happening.

If your prospective wife bitches about signing a pre-nup, DON'T MARRY HER.

Quote: (03-13-2015 03:55 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

I cannot emphasize this enough: GET A PRE-NUP.

Not doing so puts your retirement at risk. Imagine building up your 401k or IRA to a nicely growing nest egg, and then have half of it taken away in a divorce. That would be a horrible, horrible feeling if that happened. A simple pre-nup and $500 would prevent all of this from happening.

If your prospective wife bitches about signing a pre-nup, DON'T MARRY HER.

Is there not a problem with pre-nups that they are sometimes (many times (?)) not recognized/validated by the courts? Seems like I've read something about this in threads and articles about divorce rapes. I'm asking out of curiosity because I'm not from America.

Edit - I did not read the thread properly, so my previous question is moot. Still, it saddens and angers me at the same time that men nowadays are needed to be prepared to face the almost inevitable divorce. Ah, well... forewarned is forearmed. [Image: smile.gif]

Romans 8:31 - 'What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?'

My notes.

Mike Cernovich Compilation 2015 | 2016

The Gold from Bold

Quote: (03-13-2015 12:44 AM)se7en Wrote:  

Recommendations If you are interested in marriage, my take-aways are:

1. Wait to get married - If you build up your life before you get married, and get your finances and business in order before marriage, and then store them in a separate account, your wife will never touch this money because it is "separate property."

2. Get a pre-nup - Don't be a bitch about it. No matter what, get a pre-nup. See an attorney before marriage to learn the lingo, or read-up online - Let your future wife know that designating the character of your property is an important financial decision for you in your journey to financial freedom. If she is interested in being a partner with you, she should value financial integrity, and this would help you see that you are both on the same page.

3. Get a post-nup: If you did not get a pre-nup, you may still get a post-nup.

4. Make sure your wife works. This way, if you do, unfortunately, get divorced, she can't say that she can't support herself to obtain spousal support.

Like a wise man once told me, put your head on the pillow before you put your dick in the hole.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Those reading this should also check out our thread on the excellent documentary Divorce Corp. Eye-opening, to say the least.

Is keeping money in a trust also a good idea? I'm not entirely sure how it works but my friends said it offered better protection than just a prenup.

The Peru Thread
"Feminists exist in a quantum super-state in which they are both simultaneously the victim and the aggressor." - Milo Yiannopoulos

Just got divorced last week, one thing I took from the whole thing is marriage is not for people who love freedom. You will not only spend all your money on stupid shit because your wife wants it but you will also, lose many friends and time. The key to life is to be happy and marriage is the quick way to fuck up all your plans. Players can get married but they will soon realize that all women your wife, mistress, and all her friends are sheeps to the false hope the media portrays. So I suggest every man hold off on getting married until a women proves she is worthy, just like women try to hold of on pussy until they feel the man is worthy. Women are irrational creatures so as men we need to give them order and stop acknowledging and rewarding sub par behavior from women no matter how much you love her. Women always try to make it seem as if it is necessary for you to have her by your side, but in reality it is the opposite women can't survive with out men.

I've been married 3 times so I'm fairly qualified to respond... Get a fucking pre-nup.... I believe marriage isn't all bad with a good woman, it is just hard to trust you have really found a good one if you have ever found one that isn't.

You can get by relatively unscathed if you recognize things are going south early and GTFO. The courts, at least where I am, recognize length of marriage matters and limits your liability.

Another issue is premarital debt, if she carries debt into the marriage, and you pay it off, you get no credit for paying off her debt in the final settlement even though she received the benefit after the marriage.

Quote: (03-16-2015 10:39 AM)NovaVirtu Wrote:  

Is keeping money in a trust also a good idea? I'm not entirely sure how it works but my friends said it offered better protection than just a prenup.

First, let me begin by saying that if you going to put your assets into a trust, you are going to have a lawyer / accountant set up that trust for you. That person should also advise you as to whether a trust is right for you, and whether it will help you achieve whatever goals you have - laws regarding trusts may vary significantly from state to state, so you really need to speak with a lawyer. However, trusts are also powerful legal/financial instruments and are very helpful for saving tax money, avoiding probate court, and are a great way to manage / gift wealth.

A trust is a legal relationship where you transfer some of your assets to a "trustee" who holds those assets for the benefit of another person (beneficiary), pursuant to instructions that you give the trustee. Usually a beneficiary is a 3rd party (like your kids), but in some cases you can also make yourself the beneficiary as well. Some states allow you to insert "spend-thrift" provisions into trust instruction documents. A spend-thrift provision prevents the beneficiary, or any creditor for that matter, from getting ahold of any of the property which is held by the trustee. This "may" allow you to cheat certain creditors in some states, because if your assets are held by a trustee rather than you, and you go bankrupt, creditors cannot touch the property in the trust. Again, however, this requires careful planning with a smart lawyer.

In regards to whether a trust offers better protection that simply getting a pre-nup: speak with a lawyer. My opinion is that it would not make much of a difference - as I wrote above, separate property is your separate property. So, if you decide to put your separate property into a trust before you get married, it would make absolutely no difference as to how it would be distributed upon divorce since that was your property anyway - just keep those assets in a separate account. Further, if you are already married, putting your "community" assets into a trust account would not help you because you cannot dispose of community property without the consent of your spouse. If you decide to do so anyway, upon divorce your former spouse can sue you for her share of the community property which you disposed of by placing it into a trust. Finally, keep in mind that a proper pre-nup, as well as a divorce, require the complete disclosure of all of your assets. Think IRS audit upon divorce. If you try to "hide" property into a trust, usually accountants working for lawyers will find that property based on your financial statements - if the court discovers you are hiding assets, you committed perjury by lying in front of the court. Also, if during the divorce audit the adverse lawyer / accountants find some assets which you did not disclose when you secured a pre-nup, they will make sure that your pre-nup is unconscionable for lack of disclosure, and your spouse may take as if you never got a pre-nup in the first place. These situations may not always be the case, but remember that the lawyers on the other side are being paid to take as much money from you as possible for their client.

The secret to gaming the system is the same as the secret to building wealth in the first place.

Let your money make you money. Therefore - wait to get married.

Within the context of a marriage, everything that is the result of either spouse's work/diligence/effort, etc - is COMMUNITY PROPERTY. Therefore, your salary - community property.

Did you build a business or buy a house before you got married? As long as you aren't putting forth work (you set it all up to be self-sufficient without you), then all the profits or appreciation in value belong completely to you - even during marriage. Just make there they end up in a separate bank account.

As far as trust go - yes they technically protect your money. But more likely than not, it will just come from another source. You can't "hide" it, whatever you brought in (salary) through your work belongs to the community. Courts will find a way to apportion that money - maybe the sale of your house.

Play this song in the background as you're reading se7en's datasheet.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Can someone recommend a lawyer to draft a prenup in NYC?

Regarding assets in a trust in which you are the beneficiary. The trust owns the assets right? Upon a divorce you disclose what you own but since you don't own the assets in the trust, do you have to disclose that? I guess you may have to disclose sources of income and end up getting tripped up.on that?

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (03-19-2015 07:55 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Regarding assets in a trust in which you are the beneficiary. The trust owns the assets right? Upon a divorce you disclose what you own but since you don't own the assets in the trust, do you have to disclose that? I guess you may have to disclose sources of income and end up getting tripped up.on that?

The issue shouldn't be whether you "have to disclose." There is no issue of 'hiding,' it's a matter of characterizing it in your favor, if you have a good lawyer.

As far as your question about trusts, there are different types of ownership in law - referred to as "rights". Typically, the beneficiaries of the trust own the right to enjoy the property, and the trustee owns the right to control. So yes - you own it.

Here are a few other facts that might answer your question better:

1. In general, it doesn't matter so much if you are the "beneficiary," it is going to matter what type of trust it is to determine if it can be reached by creditors (such as an ex-wife). But even more important, in the scenario we are talking about here, it's where the assets come from that matters.

2. If you created a trust and made yourself beneficiary (or your kids, or whoever...), then it's not going to be "protected" in the way you are wanting. What really matters is where the assets came from - and the state you live in determines how those assets are characterized. Typically, all your income from work/labor during marriage will be split, no matter where it goes. So, even if the trust is protected - the value will come from somewhere else (sale of the home, etc).

Anyways - no lawyer will be able to answer these types of questions straight up. It depends on the specific state's law - and your specific circumstances.

The take-away is that marriage is incredibly serious - and as soon as you show her the ring - you are giving half of everything you will earn from that point forward, absent a pre-nup. So, if you are smart - you will wait as long as possible to get married, and you will have had time to make investments before marriage (which will appreciate by themselves, and you won't have to split). And you will get a pre-nup when it is time. BUT make sure you get a good lawyer, it's not enough to write a signed contract in many states. In CA for example, your wife is going to have to be advised by a lawyer, or at least sign another document saying she understands the rights she is waiving. And even if all this goes through - the pre-nup can be held to be unfair if the terms are so one-sided. This shit is tough - make sure you understand the risk you are taking before you dive in.