rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Coffee Thread

The Coffee Thread

I love making coffee in the morning. I didn't used to until I learned more about coffee, what makes good beans, different brewing methods, etc.

I suspect there are people on here who know much more about coffee than I do, so lets share the knowledge.

What is your favorite way to make coffee? How do you brew it? What beans do you use? What do you add (milk, sugar, butter, etc.)? Share with us your perfect cup of coffee.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

The Coffee Thread

At home its a french press, Stumptown Hairbender beans and cream and sugar. If I am dieting I take out the sugar and may go heavy creme only.

Mostly I also drink iced coffee now, and you will want to find cold brewed iced coffee. Much more potent than regular hot brew, and I find cold coffee to be very refreshing all year long. I either make it at home, or buy a large to go box full to take home and leave in my frigde, which gives several cups usually for around $20.

The Coffee Thread

I use a French press and grind my beans every morning. There's a natural foods co-op around the corner that sells fair trade organic beans.

There's also a hipster coffee brew house and roastery across the street but they use a different supplier for beans. They have a Guatemalan bean that makes you tweak for 8 hrs. I found out that in order to speed the drying process after harvesting, the beans are sprayed down with a chemical similar to metheylene chloride which draws the moisture out like a sponge.
Now I stick with organic beans. $10/lb.

Cream only

The Coffee Thread

Two methods:

1. French press. Grind beans, let steep for 3 min., strain into cup.
2. Turkish or Arabic with cardamon and sugar. Fine grind, boil for very short time, pour into small fenjan (cup).

The Coffee Thread

In true South Indian style, I use a metallic press (similar to French but made of steel) but with a collection container below. I go to the coffee grinding store every week to grind fresh beans finely and add chicory along with it. Typical ratio is 70/30 or 80/20% depending on the strength you want. Chicory is expensive but adds a nice flavor to the blend and also helps to slowly drip the coffee mix as it passes onto the bottom container where it is collected. Sometimes I do add a pinch of cinnamon before I add to the press but the chicory is better.

The health benefits of chicory are that it cleanses the blood and improve the health of the liver. Also, when I was in the US, I did read a lot about New Orleans, which is noted for their chicory coffee. I believe chicory was used as a coffee extender when supplies of coffee were scarce.

Once the brew is done, then I add 2-3 tablespoons of goat milk for 1/3-1/4 cup of fresh brew and a pinch of sugar to lightly sweeten it. As goat milk is highly nutritious, we then have the coffee boiled and served piping hot in a metallic tumbler alongside some local Indian snacks.

The Coffee Thread

Dupe: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-40231.html

But anyway. This forum blows me away with it's depth and knowledge

- Italian beans (not as good, but can't get much of the single source source south american stuff here in new zealand.
- Hario coffee grinder by hand: http://gearpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads...atrol-.jpg
- Aeropress: http://www.aeropress.ca/images/AeroPress_action2.jpg

I take it black.

The Coffee Thread

Add nothing.
Buy Jamaica Blue Mountain or Hawaiian Kona.
Grind your own beans.

Also, I like to switch it up, and do coffee one morning, and green yerba mate the next morning.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

The Coffee Thread

I prefer the "pour over method" and I swear by my Chemex.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-6-Cup-Class...rds=chemex

The Coffee Thread

Any of you ever tried the weasel coffee from Vietnam? My friend brought me back some and I haven't yet tried yet...

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

The Coffee Thread

Pres are you talking about Civet coffee?

Vietnamese coffee is the best I've ever had. The method they use takes about 15 minutes to brew a cup.

I have cut down my consumption of coffee to about 2 cups per day now though.

The Coffee Thread

Quote: (11-27-2014 02:34 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

Pres are you talking about Civet coffee?

Vietnamese coffee is the best I've ever had. The method they use takes about 15 minutes to brew a cup.

I have cut down my consumption of coffee to about 2 cups per day now though.

Yeah, the CaPhe Chon or Civet cats stuff. I don't have a brewer or press or anything yet or I'd try it. Russians love instant coffee so I've been rocking that lately. [Image: confused.gif]

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

The Coffee Thread

It's likely false , as they had it in all the tourist shops in Vietnam but I don't thing it's the real thing. Tried it in one of the more posh coffee shops in Hanoi, but I didn't really like it.
http://mainlinephoto.wordpress.com/2010/...n-vietnam/

However normal vietnamese coffee is the best I ever had...cafe sua da, with condensed milk. I tried making it at home but it's not the same.

The Coffee Thread

Fuck yeah.

[Image: vietnamese-iced-coffee-recipe-7.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS64ExRJbFsqkR2OU-a7I6...VMAZmLiY7O]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk_z7kHLbl5K_ENKggvM-...DdmCVbI8Pr]

Going from the US to Vietnam = discovering coffee like Will Ferrell in Elf. I think my heart might explode in Colombia, Ethiopia, or France. Here they mainly use a blend of Robusta and Arabica, though I think some use pure Robusta. Personally I take coffee here with a little milk and a little sugar, or no milk and a little sugar, or...as a splash in a sapoche smoothie. Again, fuck yeah.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

The Coffee Thread

I'm twenty without a lot of time, so I'm getting a good deal on a Keurig this weekend to replace my (budding) tobacco addiction with. By the looks of the few posts, I expect this is some basic level shit, but even I have never liked coffee with anything in it, so I'm starting at a good point.

The Coffee Thread

This is what I have and I'm almost positive it's not the real deal. I saw it somewhere online for under $30. It also tastes mediocre.

[Image: Du6fuQtl.jpg?1]

The Coffee Thread

Quote: (11-28-2014 04:14 AM)Innuendo Wrote:  

It's likely false , as they had it in all the tourist shops in Vietnam but I don't thing it's the real thing. Tried it in one of the more posh coffee shops in Hanoi, but I didn't really like it.
http://mainlinephoto.wordpress.com/2010/...n-vietnam/

However normal vietnamese coffee is the best I ever had...cafe sua da, with condensed milk. I tried making it at home but it's not the same.

I was referring to normal Vietnamese coffee.

In Philippines they have some stuff called Baracko *sp* and I would blend bulletproof coffee out of it. It's damn good also.

The Coffee Thread

Quote: (11-27-2014 09:08 AM)VolandoVengoVolandoVoy Wrote:  

Add nothing.
Buy Jamaica Blue Mountain or Hawaiian Kona.
Grind your own beans.

Also, I like to switch it up, and do coffee one morning, and green yerba mate the next morning.

Can you elaborate more on the preperation of Blue Mountain Coffee? I bought some in Miami once from a Chinese Jamaican store and it didn't taste that good. Put me off the experience..I'd like to try some again..I usually buy them from local Jamaican stores.

Basically, when I made the coffee..the granules didn't disseminate well into the hot water, you could see the floating.

I didn't get much of a kick from the coffee. I'd like to start it back up.

Thanks.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

The Coffee Thread

Quote: (11-28-2014 06:01 AM)dads Wrote:  

I'm twenty without a lot of time, so I'm getting a good deal on a Keurig this weekend to replace my (budding) tobacco addiction with. By the looks of the few posts, I expect this is some basic level shit, but even I have never liked coffee with anything in it, so I'm starting at a good point.

If you haven't bought the Keurig yet, I'd save your money and get a French press. You can get one for like $5 or $10 and it'll make a way better cup of coffee. It retains a lot of the oils in the coffee

It's extremely easy and cleanup is a breeze. There's a reason pretty much everyone in this thread has mentioned it.

I need to get into grinding my own beans though. Always just buy them preground, which I know isn't the best.

Quote: (11-28-2014 06:55 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

I was referring to normal Vietnamese coffee.

In Philippines they have some stuff called Baracko *sp* and I would blend bulletproof coffee out of it. It's damn good also.

"Barako is the Filipino term for a the male stud of an animal, and has become associated with the image of a tough man."

[Image: banana.gif]

Interesting. Never heard of it, but I'll be on the look out.

You ever tried matcha green tea while you're here? Never been a big tea drinker, but this stuff is delicious.

The Coffee Thread

While I enjoy the French Press, for the rich flavour it spreads, I personally prefer my Saeco espresso machine. I find that espresso, in general, has a more pronounced taste. Distinct & often strong, yet flavourful.

The Coffee Thread

Two cups of Stumptown give me the jitters, no other coffee comes close. Kona just tastes wonderful.

The Coffee Thread

I have an aero-press http://www.aeropress.com/
and a Italian coffee maker http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0097112_PE262675_S5.JPG

The aero press is super easy and faster than the Italian. The flavour is quite different too. The Aero is sweeter.

I do not add anything to the coffee and grind my own beans. I been too cheap to buy Organic beans so far. After reading this thread my next buy is organic.

I find chicory in the supermarket here in Spain. Its very cheap, Like 1 euro half a pound. Potential business opportunity?

The Coffee Thread

any one roast their own beans?

seems kinda economical, you can keep green beans much longer and always have a fresh roasted ones. Some people use a 10 dollar popcorn popper.

*Cold Shower Crew*
*No Fap Crew*
*150+ IQ Crew*

The Coffee Thread

I bought a moka pot a couple months ago:
[Image: Inside-Moka-Pot-6215.jpg]

I also have a french press that I don't use too much anymore, as well as a drip coffee maker, and a keurig that I retired.

Pro tip: Go to TJMaxx. I got my moka pot there for 10 bucks. I saw some cheap french press rigs for similar prices as well. Plus they have all kinds of cool glass wear to keep your beans/grounds in.

The Coffee Thread

I went on a coffee farm tour today in the coffee zone of Colombia, it was really interesting and I encourage anyone who is in a coffee producing country to do the same. I also did a coffee tour of the Blue Mountains in Jamaica a few years ago and that was awesome too, to this day, the coffee I drank on that tour was the smoothest Ive ever tasted, its too bad that its some of the worlds most expensive and cost over $50 a pound to order online! Today on the tour I learned that coffee is a fruit, I never really thought about what is was other than a bean. If you pick the coffee berry off the plant and eat it, it tastes very sweet and like other fruits, the bean is the pit that you spit out. I had no idea.

The Coffee Thread

This is my favorite
[Image: attachment.jpg23881]   
Fans of French press will love that brand of Kona. I'll add minimal extras and sometimes prefer it pure black because it's so good on its own. Their hazelnut is exceptional also.

Jamaican and Turkish would be my replacements, especially Turkish.

Additional flavors depend on what I have on hand. Sometimes I do honey, sugar, brown sugar, flavored almond milk or cocoa powder. Almond milk adds thickness and that distinct almond taste to coffee no matter how it started. You can go flavorless or flavored if you're lazy(or just know what you like). I highly recommend cocoa powder if you like richness and sweetness as much as I do.

When I was in Germany I saw peppers mixed with chocolate bars for the first time and it blew my mind. I didn't buy it at the time because I was afraid it would be a waste. I changed my mind later when I got back to the states and put some cayenne(my favorite) pepper juice in some chocolate. It wasn't bad actually, but nothing I'd see myself doing often. I think fans of this enjoy the sensation more than the flavor. The first person to test this out with coffee drinking is a pioneer.