rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Please critique my morning smoothie

- A few leaves of steamed spinach
- 1/2 Cup of greek yogurt
- Mixed berries (black, blue, raspberries and strawberries)
- Almonds
- A bit of coconut oil
- Whey protein

Blend it all up and chug it down for my morning's first meal.

From a health / nutrition standpoint, can it be improved? More nutrients somewhere? People here are on the edge of healthy knowledge so I was curious. Thanks!

1 tbsp peanut butter (Can't go wrong with the extra protein)
1 tbsp cod-liver/fish oil. (Essential omega-3s)

Looks pretty solid to me, you can always switch up the fruits sometime. Bananas, watermelon, oranges, apples, ect.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (11-11-2014 12:17 AM)Advent Persona Wrote:  

1 tbsp peanut butter (Can't go wrong with the extra protein)
1 tbsp cod-liver/fish oil. (Essential omega-3s)

Thanks for the tips

Quote: (11-11-2014 12:18 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Looks pretty solid to me, you can always switch up the fruits sometime. Bananas, watermelon, oranges, apples, ect.

Good idea. I must say though, I love the taste of berries in my smoothie

What are you doing for cold? Ice?

The best smoothie tip I've ever heard was to freeze bananas and put them in the smoothie. This way you have the chilling effects of the ice without the dilution of the smoothie.

Now that I think about it, I think Scooby was the one to originally say this. Not sure.

Quote: (11-11-2014 12:46 AM)redbeard Wrote:  

What are you doing for cold? Ice?

The berries are a Walmart frozen bag.

Why steamed spinach over fresh?

I personally like the "freshness" green stuff adds to smoothies so it dosnt taste like a sugar bomb. Its all preference of course.

I would add more fibre. Smoothies are a easy way to get vegetables and fibre in. Throw in some Flax meal for added fibre and Omega fats. Just make sure to store the Flax in your freezer to keep it fresh.

Quote: (11-11-2014 01:21 AM)kosko Wrote:  

I personally like the "freshness" green stuff adds to smoothies so it dosnt taste like a sugar bomb. Its all preference of course.

I would add more fibre. Smoothies are a easy way to get vegetables and fibre in. Throw in some Flax meal for added fibre and Omega fats. Just make sure to store the Flax in your freezer to keep it fresh.

@kosko, Costco sells a huge bag of flaxseed. I've been using it for a while, I throw a little bit into shakes, oatmeal, anything I can. Shit is delicious.

Why do you keep it in the freezer? I have a resealable container I keep it in.

I hear steaming most vegetables in general is healthier for the thyroid. I'll keep the flaxseed suggestion in mind!

Quote: (11-11-2014 01:28 AM)redbeard Wrote:  

@kosko, Costco sells a huge bag of flaxseed. I've been using it for a while, I throw a little bit into shakes, oatmeal, anything I can. Shit is delicious.

Why do you keep it in the freezer? I have a resealable container I keep it in.

Anything with a lot of fat should be kept cold and away from light. Your flax meal will go rancid if you don't as oxidizing will occur. Once it's rancid your only getting fibre as the Omega oils have lost a lot of thier positive properties.

Add 2 to 3 whole raw eggs.

When I tell people I put raw eggs in my smoothies (non-lifters), they balk, but raw eggs mixed in with everything else actually tastes nice & creamy.

It'll give you an increase in protein (13 grams per 100 grams) & fats (11 grams per 100 grams), and bigger loads.

This is my Smoothie using the Nutri Bullet:

Kale - a handful, usually 1.5 cups worth
Strawberries - 4-5
Blackberries - 4-5
Blueberries - 4-5
Raspberries - 4-5
Pineapple - a few small chunks
Almonds - roughly 8-10
Goji Berries - roughly 10
Ground Flax Seeds - 1 table spoon
Honey - 1 table spoon
Water - add it to the max line

Your recipe is good! All depends on what else you want to add to your diet to help your body.

How long does that smoothie fills you up?

Where have you "heard" about that thyroid stuff?

I don't believe a word.

Thread title:

[Image: laugh2.gif]

I'd suggest if you add a bit of cucumber, green pepper or lettuce it would be greener, I do that sometimes.

Quote: (11-11-2014 01:07 PM)Wreckingball Wrote:  

How long does that smoothie fills you up?
'

Does me right about till lunchtime. 5 hours or so

Quote: (11-11-2014 02:00 PM)micha Wrote:  

I don't believe a word.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/crucife...yroid.aspx

Quote: (11-11-2014 09:11 PM)Helmutnl Wrote:  

I'd suggest if you add a bit of cucumber, green pepper or lettuce it would be greener, I do that sometimes.

Good idea...the cucumber contains essential nutrients

Pretty solid mix you have there.

I'd try experimenting with spice like say, adding a half teaspoonful of ground cinnamon (prevents blood sugar from spiking too much & good source of trace minerals) or half teaspoonful of ground fennel (various beneficial mineral).
I've been adding small doses of spice or spice combos in my morning shakes & coffee for almost a year now & i feel it's been beneficial.

You'd wanna read up on possible side effects of some spices before doing that though, if you happen to have certain medical conditions.

Quote: (11-13-2014 09:12 AM)Frank Rook Wrote:  

Pretty solid mix you have there.

I'd try experimenting with spice like say, adding a half teaspoonful of ground cinnamon (prevents blood sugar from spiking too much & good source of trace minerals) or half teaspoonful of ground fennel (various beneficial mineral).
I've been adding small doses of spice or spice combos in my morning shakes & coffee for almost a year now & i feel it's been beneficial.

You'd wanna read up on possible side effects of some spices before doing that though, if you happen to have certain medical conditions.

Cayenne pepper works good, but it might make the smoothie a little hot to drink. If you're doing cardio later that day, beets supposedly increase cardio ability.

You have a shake for breakfast and then don't eat until lunch? So you aren't eating to bulk and you aren't eating to cut, so why do you need opinions?

Sounds delicious anyway.

My morning meal;

1 serving of Vitagreens (pretty much all the veggigs on the planet lol) This is about a half a glass of liquid *I sweeten with liquid stevia drops as it tastes like a bag of lawn clippings
1 serving of a seasonal fruit medley I blend (skin and all) and drink...again about a half a glass of liquid (yay fiber!)
1 full 16oz carton of egg whites ( 50g of protein)
1 shake consisting of whey protein isolate and waxy maize starch (25g of protein and 25g of a medium length carb for a sustained carb release)

Consumed at about 8:30 am this lasts me until my gym time around 12 noon (I prefer to let myself get just a bit hungry before going to the gym as working out on an empty stomach is better as your body isn't using it's systems (and the energy to run those systems) digesting food)

Thanks RVF!

About a month ago I bought the Nutriblend and started eating healthier. It's not that I didn't eat veggies before, but I would usually only eat them the day I bought them (prepare a meal) and maybe the day after. Then they would sit and rot. I rarely ate fruits.

Now I prepare the following smoothie every morning. During the week I try to drink it throughout the day with very minimal else (maybe an egg or two at lunch). No more rotting veggies in my fridge.

- Broccoli (or spinach, or kale)
- Mixed berries (blue, raspberries, and/or strawberries)
- A banana (sometimes some pineapple instead)...for sweetness
- Some yogurt or greek yogurt

Boom...it's helped me keep that extra 5-10 lbs off as well as feel a bit better..thanks again fellas.

One question: I bought coconut oil but...how do you include in smoothie when it's a solid at room temp? (I have been using for other things tho)

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

I don't believe a word.

Quote:Quote:

So did you post this without reading it yourself or hoping that I wouldn't read it?

There is absolutely nothing in this article that backs your claim. Quite the contrary:

The fear (circulating the internet by some authors) of eating cruciferous vegetables or that those with hypothyroidism should reduce or avoid the consumption of kale or other cruciferous vegetables is unfounded and does a disservice to the community. Whether you have normal thyroid function or hypothyroidism, there is no benefit for you to avoid or restrict your intake of cruciferous vegetables.

The scientific consensus is that cruciferous vegetables could only be detrimental to thyroid function in cases of iodine deficiency or insufficient iodine intake.9

What's wrong with you?

If you're skinny and have no interest in lifting it's perfect. Good old classic whey, yoghurt & almonds for protein, nice blend of omega 3 & 6 from almonds & coconut oil and a range of vitamins & minerals from the berries.

But it sounds like an inefficient and girly drink if you're looking to build some muscle.

My my morning shake is better

- Two scoops of Optimum Nutrition Whey for protein
- Bone broth for collagen which gives u skin that moistens the labia
- Coconut Oil
- Scoop of Organic Green's superfood
^^ Better and cheaper than juicing IMHO. Organically grown greens, sprouts and vegetable juices antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and those elusive phytonutrients.
- 2 Sweet potatoes ( Best carb source)
- 1 teaspoon of Krill oil
- 200mg of Magnesium Citrate
- Pro-15 probiotic supplement
- Tablespoon of Beet Juice powder
- Two shots of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 shots of Jose Cuervo Tequila (not neccesary but it gives me a very subtle confidence at work) . Also … a bit of alcohol daily is actually very good for cardiovascular health.

Quote: (12-11-2014 08:32 AM)micha Wrote:  

I don't believe a word.

So did you post this without reading it yourself or hoping that I wouldn't read it?

There is absolutely nothing in this article that backs your claim. Quite the contrary:

The fear (circulating the internet by some authors) of eating cruciferous vegetables or that those with hypothyroidism should reduce or avoid the consumption of kale or other cruciferous vegetables is unfounded and does a disservice to the community. Whether you have normal thyroid function or hypothyroidism, there is no benefit for you to avoid or restrict your intake of cruciferous vegetables.

The scientific consensus is that cruciferous vegetables could only be detrimental to thyroid function in cases of iodine deficiency or insufficient iodine intake.9

What's wrong with you?

I didn't read what he has posted, but what he is refering to is the high content of oxalates in spinach. Cooking spinach will reduce the oxalates between 10-15%, which isn't a whole lot. Basically it is a non issue for healthy individuals. Here is a better source.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48