rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A $29,999 Bottle of Scotch

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

I got an email from BevMo the other day saying that Glenfiddich is releasing a 50-year-old bottle of scotch for $29,999. It surprised me since I didn't think Glenfiddich made anything aged more than 18 years (I'm fond of Glenfiddich-12 myself).

My question is posed thus: would you put down almost $30k for a single bottle even if it has been aged a half-century?

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

No way.

Even if I was the richest man in the world, I wouldn't. You don't stay rich by overpaying for stuff.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 11:43 AM)HawkWrites Wrote:  

I got an email from BevMo the other day saying that Glenfiddich is releasing a 50-year-old bottle of scotch for $29,999. It surprised me since I didn't think Glenfiddich made anything aged more than 18 years (I'm fond of Glenfiddich-12 myself).

My question is posed thus: would you put down almost $30k for a single bottle even if it has been aged a half-century?
I would have if I had a shit load of money. When you have b/millions of dollars, $30k is like buying a $20-$30 dollar bottle of scotch.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Japanese and lately Chinese mega-rich scotch collectors are known to pay huge prices for rare bottles

I prefer the 12 year old Glenfiddich over the older ones myself, it's excellent for fall weather

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

A fool and his money are soon parted.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Just status man.
''I'm a big baller dropping 30k on scotch all casually-like, would you like to jump on my dick now or later Miss?''.

Some guys will spend more than that on just a bottle of campagne in a club. Check out 'Rich kids of instagram'.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

I'll stick to the bargain bin tequila

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

I love scotch. Especially single malts. I am a supertaster and I used to have a modest little wine collection. Scotch is a weakness for me and I usually avoid them nowadays because I like them so much. That deep robost smokey peet flavor kills me. I spent many a night after long work projects drinking one in a dark room in silence or with some of my favorite jazz or requiem. I do not dip cigars in them or shit like that, but I usually drink them alone or only with other wine/scotch snobs. If I had alot of money I know for a fact that I would have rows of good ones somewhere. I have no idea if I would buy one that expensive, but I cannot say I would not be tempted to buy that.

I think I would get dizzy like I am about to faint if someone drinks one of those with ice or even worse, cuts it with a coke....

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Alcohol has a horrible taste, I prefer mineral water any day of the week.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 12:18 PM)Phoenix Wrote:  

Just status man.
''I'm a big baller dropping 30k on scotch all casually-like, would you like to jump on my dick now or later Miss?''.

Some guys will spend more than that on just a bottle of campagne in a club. Check out 'Rich kids of instagram'.

A scotch like that is not just status. Scotch tastes differently with age and the rich characteristics are amazing if you have enough tastebuds to tell the difference. Drinking a bottle of Chateau/Bordeaux which is like 300 dollar French wine, just to look cool, is not quite the same as drinking a bottle of Don P or some expensive bottle of Rose in a nightclub. That stuff really is just for status because I have had cheaper variants from other regions that was much better in terms of character, body, the bouquet, tannins, etc. Good scotch comes from very specific areas (especially single malt) and you cannot duplicate it easily either due to little things like the water.

Usually people trying to front with a bottle of scotch is usually going to walk around the club with a Johnny Walker Blue bottle, which is 300+ or so bucks. Few minority girls will know what that is, some handfuls of white girls will know though. So if you want their attention, that is one drink that will do it.

A scotch usually gets better with age, period. Which is why no matter what brand, a 25 year bottle costs alot more than a 15 year. I have been told by some acquaintances that a scotch too old, like over 50 starts to get worse. I would not know because I am not rich enough to fuck with a scotch like that. [Image: lol.gif]

1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 12:27 PM)LemonDrink Wrote:  

[Image: whoa.gif]

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

@TravelerKai

Have you had the chance to try the Japanese stuff? I was lucky enough to have a bottle of Yamazaki 1984 once and it was incredible. The 18 year is my go to whenever I'm in Asia and can actually find it.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 12:27 PM)LemonDrink Wrote:  

How does this comment add any value or insight after you clicked on a thread about alcohol?

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 12:40 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Just status man.

A scotch like that is not just status. Scotch tastes differently with age and the rich characteristics are amazing if you have enough tastebuds to tell the difference. Drinking a bottle of Chateau/Bordeaux which is like 300 dollar French wine, just to look cool, is not quite the same as drinking a bottle of Don P or some expensive bottle of Rose in a nightclub. That stuff really is just for status because I have had cheaper variants from other regions that was much better in terms of character, body, the bouquet, tannins, etc. Good scotch comes from very specific areas (especially single malt) and you cannot duplicate it easily either due to little things like the water.

Usually people trying to front with a bottle of scotch is usually going to walk around the club with a Johnny Walker Blue bottle, which is 300+ or so bucks. Few minority girls will know what that is, some handfuls of white girls will know though. So if you want their attention, that is one drink that will do it.

A scotch usually gets better with age, period. Which is why no matter what brand, a 25 year bottle costs alot more than a 15 year. I have been told by some acquaintances that a scotch too old, like over 50 starts to get worse. I would not know because I am not rich enough to fuck with a scotch like that. [Image: lol.gif]

Are there any double-blind studies showing people can taste a difference between 15-year-old scotch and 45-year-old scotch? I'm suspicious.

I have to wonder how much placebo effect is at play here when it comes to this stuff.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

@TravelerKai, do you only drink your scotch neat? I think some scotch taste better with one or two ice cubes in it.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

never. If 30k was .01% of my disposable spending money, maybe.

but 18 year old scotch is pretty damn smooth. I can't imagine that adding xx% of smoothness is going to equate to $29,940 worth of enjoyment.

The only purpose of having a scotch that expensive is to use at social events where you can show it off to party guests who you want to intimidate.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 12:56 PM)iop890 Wrote:  

@TravelerKai

Have you had the chance to try the Japanese stuff? I was lucky enough to have a bottle of Yamazaki 1984 once and it was incredible. The 18 year is my go to whenever I'm in Asia and can actually find it.

No I have never had any Japanese scotch. Next time I stop there, I will have to buy some and try it. Maybe I can find some in a specialty store here. I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and leg.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 11:47 AM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

You don't stay rich by overpaying for stuff.

Exactly, you first become rich, and then you overpay stuff

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

A $30,000 bottle of 50 year old scotch is probably better overall value than buying a $595 bottle of Ketel One at "da club".

If I was super balling and money wasn't a thing, and I was a scotch affcionado, then maybe I'd consider it. I'm kind of on the low end and developing my palate with these things so I really wouldn't appreciate it now. If I was in the place that I could justify a $30,000 bottle of scotch, then chances are, I've already drank enough expensive alcohol where something like this would pique my curiosity and would be something I would desire.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 01:08 PM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

Quote: (09-15-2014 12:40 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Just status man.

Are there any double-blind studies showing people can taste a difference between 15-year-old scotch and 45-year-old scotch? I'm suspicious.

I have to wonder how much placebo effect is at play here when it comes to this stuff.

[Image: laugh3.gif]

I never had a 45 year old one before, but I can tell the difference between a 6, 12, 15, 18, a 20, and a 25 year old scotch from the same maker. Again, I am a supertaster, maybe some people are not, but many others like me can. I know some that are not supertasters and they can tell the difference. Sometimes these makers change the barrels they store some of their scotches and that makes a big difference. They always save their best barrels for the ones they will store the longest time. I kinda wish they would not do this, but hey...it's a business and I get that.

That said Wastelander, if you personally cannot tell the difference between a Johnny Walker Red Label over a Black Label, you should not be drinking scotch at all. Not seriously at least. Any cheap blended stuff would be good enough for you and you won't need to waste any money.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Answer: No, I don't know much about scotch and drank it once. I wouldn't understand it's value (taste).

Relevant.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Every connoisseur of whiskey i ever read about reaffirmed that more expensive whiskey does not necessarily has to be better.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

I don't really drink scotch. I prefer tequila and occasionally vodka.

To each his own, I say.

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

Quote: (09-15-2014 01:09 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

@TravelerKai, do you only drink your scotch neat? I think some scotch taste better with one or two ice cubes in it.

I only drink it neat. Room temperature at that. Too hot or cold and I save it for later. After I spend probably 5-10 mins getting that bouquet and swishing/gargling like a snob to get that smokey flavor in my tonsils.

To me the ice adds contaminated water that does not belong in the original scotch and cuts the flavor too much for me. If you drink the scotch too fast, the ice won't cool it at all. Do you make your ice in a clean maker that is not made out of tap water? Some of the ice lovers go to serious lengths to make sure their ice is very clean and pure, but most do not give a shit about that. Some like those fat custom ice rocks for looking cool with their cigars. That's a poser on a high class level right there. Not hating, just sayin...

A ,999 Bottle of Scotch

I love me some Johnnie Walker Black Label. I'd like to get into the single malts, but wouldn't know where to begin. The reason I like Black Label is 1) It's got a much bolder flavor than bourbon or Irish and 2) It's smooth. I would be looking for something under $100. Anyone have some suggestions?

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.