rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gym Etiquette

Gym Etiquette

tl;dr hipster (the scrawny/beard thing) didn't have manners thought about punching him in the face. Do you guys just grab gear or do you ask when it is near someone?

Just curious what is gym etiquette like in your gym? For context, I work out in the morning. I hear in the evening my gym gets pretty bad, too many guys, etc. I have heard it is not a good time working out in the evening.

To me it seems if some gear is near a guy working out like a handle, pair of dumbbells, you ask if he is using them before grabbing them. That is what I do. Most of the guys that I see at the gym do this.

But there is always this 10% group that doesn't think twice about anything. And it isn't the big guys, it seem the real serious lifters/bigger guys actually are pretty cool about stuff.

I was lifting today and this hipster just grabbed a rope handle by my feet (it was on my baseball hat/phone/wallet/keys), kicked my water bottle and didn't say anything. I thought for a moment, "Is this going to bug me if I don't say something." I try to let things go, but I couldn't. So I asked him, "Excuse me, did you consider asking me if I was using that before grabbing it?"

He argued it was on the ground, you were not using it, etc. Then he said, "you don't need to fight over this." I thought it was more of a discussion/small argument. Fighting is fists flying. But then again he is the younger generation that has turned everything into creepy, rapey, etc. So his exaggeration was understandable. I took the rope did my sets and set it back on the hook. Then gave me a sarcastic two thumbs up, but I let it go.

Bottom line, you guys ask when gear is near someone or do you just grab it?

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Gym Etiquette

I go to a homo gym that's open 24 hours. I am comfortably the tallest/strongest/largest guy there and make the most noise when training.

Never have any of these problems [Image: smile.gif]

Seriously though, you only get this shit at non-hardcore gyms. Its annoying but won't happen too often I'd have thought.

I always ask and anyone who's spent any serious time in any gym would do also.

Gym Etiquette

Quote: (09-02-2014 12:40 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

I go to a homo gym that's open 24 hours. I am comfortably the tallest/strongest/largest guy there and make the most noise when training.

Seriously though, you only get this shit at non-hardcore gyms. Its annoying but won't happen too often I'd have thought.

This stuff doesn't happen too often, I guess maybe what is bugging me is the kid talked back for a while. If I was dumb enough to not ask and grab it, then got called out, I would say "my bad" and give it back. But he wanted to argue maybe that is why I posted this. Plus he brought up the word fight. And though I suck at it, I immediately thought about where I would hit him.

This is a decent gym, but one of a large chain but it is convenient for what I need. It is definitely not hardcore. But not Planet Fitness wimpy. The other thing I didn't mention is the highly effeminate kid squealing while working out today. I guess he was trying to match his favorite Lady Gaga song.

Maybe it was just one of those days at the gym. And single women raising pathetic boys. Manners are not a weakness. But I guess I will see a unicorn before seeing a strong, single woman having any manners which she can then pass onto her confused son. All she teaches is "you are right and perfect because you came from my giant vagina."

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Gym Etiquette

Quote: (09-02-2014 12:47 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Quote: (09-02-2014 12:40 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

This stuff doesn't happen too often, I guess maybe what is bugging me is the kid talked back for a while. If I was dumb enough to not ask and grab it, then got called out, I would say "my bad" and give it back. But he wanted to argue maybe that is why I posted this. Plus he brought up the word fight. And though I suck at it, I immediately thought about where I would hit him.

This is a decent gym, but one of a large chain but it is convenient for what I need. It is definitely not hardcore. But not Planet Fitness wimpy. The other thing I didn't mention is the highly effeminate kid squealing while working out today. I guess he was trying to match his favorite Lady Gaga song.

Maybe it was just one of those days at the gym. And single women raising pathetic boys. Manners are not a weakness. But I guess I will see a unicorn before seeing a strong, single woman having any manners which she can then pass onto her confused son. All she teaches is "you are right and perfect because you came from my giant vagina."

It's always the smaller guys that cause problems. I had this happen to a 5'8 manlet who arguably is pretty cut. I had my stuff on a squat rack and he jumped in like I was done (I left to get water).

I had one set left, but the attitude killed me. I wanted to break his neck.

The bigger guys tend to be pretty chill. I noticed the bigger I am, the less the "littler" guys mess with me.

Gym Etiquette

It's all good Samsamsam,

We've all had those days where some little ass dude tries to fuck with us. My bet is that you'll barely see him there anyway.
He's small for a reason. He lacks focus and dedication to get big.
Water off a ducks back and keep it moving.

Next time a little ass dude crosses you like that just take what ever it was back. Just walk up and take it back. See what they do. Most of the time they'll talk back but definitely wont throw a punch. After they finish whining tell them they should ask before taking something.

I've done this a few times with guys when i used to go to the fitness chain places.

Shit like this is why i bought my own equipment and workout at home now. Best decision ever.

Gym Etiquette

^ I always ask and sometimes when people are rude they get a surprise.

At one of my gyms (upscale health club) you'll have rich guys who you can tell are used to abusing people at work.

They come in with that same attitude at the gym, whereupon they learn that, "Status is contextual."

I have checked mother fuckers who got out of line and watched them brood the entire workout. I'd just look over and smirk. They knew they were powerless.

I only do that to the deserving. People who try "sonning" you are the gym deserve to get fucked up. The gym is like church and we are all equals. Fuck people who don't respect that value system.

Gym Etiquette

If you have to deal with shit like this, you're at the wrong gym. The worst thing I see where I work out is people not re-racking the weights correctly. My gym is about as polite a place as I go on a day to day basis.

Gym Etiquette

Quote: (09-02-2014 05:10 PM)Capitán Peligroso Wrote:  

If you have to deal with shit like this, you're at the wrong gym. The worst thing I see where I work out is people not re-racking the weights correctly. My gym is about as polite a place as I go on a day to day basis.

It was the first time I recall experiencing that. Other times it is a grey area the item was far enough away where it is easily understandable why someone was not using it. I don't get mad about that, my bad for being closer to it (I can own that). This morning, the rope handle was 6 inches from me and I was working out at the time (using a cable). I just realized the fucker couldn't even wait for me to be done with my set before entering my personal space. Should have hit him. [Image: biggrin.gif]

The worse thing that happens usually is assholes don't put weights back. And it is always the wimpy guys or mentally unstable guys. The serious guys all put it back out of respect.

Gym Etiquette

Once in a hotel gym I placed my towel on a bench while I used a nearby piece of equipment. A jump-rope dude came up, threw my towel on the floor, and took the bench somehere else in the room to use it. Later on when his jump rope was lying near my feet when I was on a different piece of equipment, I pretended to accidentally step on it then brushed it out of my way. We then ignored each other the rest of our workouts. That kind of stuff is annoying.

Gym Etiquette

I never grab anything in the gym that I didn't bring without asking. It's good gym etiquette. If someone is standing within 20 feet of some equipment I want to use I ask. A lot of people pace like caged lions in between sets. And someone may have gone to top off a water bottle so it's good practice to ask around so you don't piss on someone else's flow.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Gym Etiquette

I've never had anything like that happen to me on purpose, I go to a university gym. The small guys seem too pussy to try anything even if they wanted to, and the big guys are chill. People even put all their weights back.

Gym Etiquette

"Hey, I have three sets left on that, but you're welcome to work in with me."

I don't give a shit what anyone does unless it unavoidably prevents me from finishing my workout as I intended.

Gym Etiquette

You did it wrong.

"Excuse me, did you consider asking me if I was using that before grabbing it?"

That is too passive aggressive. It's a feminine/snarky way of communicating your displeasure. And you lower your status by asking a question rather than making a direct statement.

"Hey man, I was using that."

Much better. Direct and to the point, assertive but not aggressive, neither polite nor rude. A simple statement of fact.

The ball is then in his court to respond. The most likely response: "Oh, my bad," and he gives it back to you.

If you don't want to get treated like a bitch, don't talk like one.
(And that's not meant to insult samsamsam, just more of a general rule to remind us all to purge feminine communication styles from our interactions with both women and other men).

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Gym Etiquette

Yep, what scorpion said.

Usually the guy just apologies and leaves swiftly.

Gym Etiquette

My gym is in a very...colorful neighborhood. Let's just say I'm a minority there.

It became tolerable when I got noise cancelling ear buds. There's only so much Britney Spears I can take.

Way too packed at night with newbs. Nightime is absolutely terrible. Early morning is glorious. For the most part, everyone is polite when asking "are you using that?"

The only time I speak up is when people are doing dumb shit in places where they're not supposed to. For instance, guys curling in a squat rack, when there are only 3 squat racks. Or guys that are doing DB press on a barbell press station, when there are empty benches 10 feet away. A couple times dudes got a little heated but I just kept my calm, kept eye contact, and calmly said, "Look man, there are empty benches over there. I can't use a barbell on them but you can use your dumbells just fine, so move it on over bud." There's a pause but once they realize I'm not starting shit and that what I'm saying makes sense, they begrudgingly move.

The one thing I hate is there are plates EVERYWHERE. And people use dumbells for the dumbest shit, like as a step to do pullups. There's only 1 set of 40s in the entire place and invariably some knucklehead is using one of them so he can do kipping pullups.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Gym Etiquette

Quote: (09-02-2014 07:52 PM)scorpion Wrote:  

You did it wrong.

"Excuse me, did you consider asking me if I was using that before grabbing it?"

That is too passive aggressive. It's a feminine/snarky way of communicating your displeasure. And you lower your status by asking a question rather than making a direct statement.

"Hey man, I was using that."

Much better. Direct and to the point, assertive but not aggressive, neither polite nor rude. A simple statement of fact.

The ball is then in his court to respond. The most likely response: "Oh, my bad," and he gives it back to you.

If you don't want to get treated like a bitch, don't talk like one.
(And that's not meant to insult samsamsam, just more of a general rule to remind us all to purge feminine communication styles from our interactions with both women and other men).

Fair point. No offense taken, trying to grow as a man.

But I try to be civil the best I can. Also, in a way the moment past. I was in the middle of a set and to be honest, I was a little shocked that the dumbass did that. I lost the moment. I have always been a bit of an overthinker. I had to figure out if it was going to bug me or not. Just chalking it up to a bad day at the gym bookended by lady gaga fan boy and mr. hipster.

Gym Etiquette

My gym is incredibly polite. Almost too much so at points.

Even this morning a guy far more muscular than I asked if I was finished with the squat rack when I was a good 10 paces away from it about to start dumbell work. I act similarly just out of courtesy and comradery. People are more than happy to act as a spot for each other, jump in and out if they both want to use a machine etcetera etcetera. It's great.

I've been a member of 4 different gyms in my life and everybody has been really respectful, pleasant and helpful throughout. As others have said it's pretty much the friendliest place I ever visit.

Maybe you need to join a new gym.

Gym Etiquette

In the gym, I behave according to Kant's Categorical Imperative. Hence, I ask if I think that the equipment is being used. Never had a problem.

Gym Etiquette

I find that the etiquette at my gym is quite good, amongst the more serious types

It seems to be the newbies (or less frequent gym goers) that are a bit clueless.

Recently I was doing some front squats, quite a distance back from the mirror, yet still using it for form purposes as we do.
Mid set, a group of 3 dudes park up closer to the mirror in front of me (blocking my view) and proceed to do their half-assed bicep curls. I didn't have the patience to approach them and ask them to kindly move out of my way, so from where I was standing I just said to the guy in front of me "move buddy", and he did. Problem solved.

Gym Etiquette

I have worked out in commercial, bodybuilding and performance gyms. You get knobheads everywhere but commercial gyms are the worse.

Out of my experiences with bodybuilding gyms. Only one person pissed me off enough to warrant a verbal response. A woman no less.

I was on the bench press station about to do a set and moving into position when this dumb cunt of a woman took a plate off the fucking bar I was about to lift.

That shit really flips my lid and she didn't like the response I gave her. "You telling me you didn't see me using this piece of equipment? I'm not exactly small am I????" Fucking asshole.

Never saw her again after that. her boyfriend was really sheepish too. He knew she fucked up.

Commercial gyms

Had a guy try to take the weight off my bench press. Did the same response to the woman. He looked shocked

Had a guy come up to me saying he was using the bench press but he went off for 10 minutes and I realised he was doing circuits. "Are you using that?"....Yes I am.

Cheeky little runts stealing my plates but I dont really care unless I am about t swap them out. A plate rack is right next to me.

I don't really get bothered and I keep an eye on the surrounding area to watch people around the equipment I am using.