rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

DHV vs DLV hobbies/pastimes

I searched and didn't see a thread on this particular topic. Has it been your experience that certain activities give you more DHV with women than others? For example, MMA champion vs video-game champion? I do triathlons and have observed DHV among the three disciplines as:

1. Cycling- By far the highest attraction value. Women will stop and stare when I zoom past in my spandex on my sleek road bike. Sometimes they will even approach when I'm standing around my bike before or after a ride.

2. Swimming- Second most DHV. Women appear to think good swimming ability is fairly masculine, especially if you have some muscle.

3. Running- In my experience, women respect someone who runs, especially women who also run, but it doesn't command as much doe-eyed attention as cycling and swimming.

Quote: (08-28-2014 10:01 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

I searched and didn't see a thread on this particular topic. Has it been your experience that certain activities give you more DHV with women than others? For example, MMA champion vs video-game champion? I do triathlons and have observed DHV among the three disciplines as:

1. Cycling- By far the highest attraction value. Women will stop and stare when I zoom past in my spandex on my sleek road bike. Sometimes they will even approach when I'm standing around my bike before or after a ride.

2. Swimming- Second most DHV. Women appear to think good swimming ability is fairly masculine, especially if you have some muscle.

3. Running- In my experience, women respect someone who runs, especially women who also run, but it doesn't command as much doe-eyed attention as cycling and swimming.

Don't guys get involved in hobbies for various reasons besides DHV or DLV?

Sometimes guys get involved in hobbies to meet more girls, too.

I have been involved in salsa dancing for more than 12 years, and it seems to be decent on the DHV spectrum, but I also do it because I have fun with it and there is some gaming practice (technique building) involved too.

Some sports have a lot of women involved, such as yoga, but I don't really want to do it, even though I have had several women suggest that I do it. I think that if the ratios are good, then maybe the rest does NOT matter too much, because at least you would be getting exposure to decent quality chicks. I guess the point that I am making is that for me any hobby has to have the factor that I personally enjoy it, and the ratios and the DHV considerations would come afterwards.

It's because you're in good shape. But I think women would think a fighter is sexier than a triathlete. Just my opinion.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

The biggest DHV is doing what you want and what interests you and not giving a fuck what anyone thinks.

That said, I'd stay away from stamp collecting...

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Quote: (08-28-2014 10:01 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

Remember we are dealing in generalities, and all women are different so your mileage may vary. That being said...

Activities that involve violence, physical dominance, or expendable risk are probably going to be the biggest DHVs. To wit: motorcycling, flying airplanes, boxing, weightlifting, rock climbing, intense hiking/camping.

In the context of certain lifestyles, hobbies like wine, cooking, or photography lend a sophisticated and high-class air to your vibe.

Stuff that communicates high social/organizational skill can be a positive - like participating in your college alumni club, a work-related social group or running a meetup group, or hosting dinner parties/mixers. But that can devolve into a student-council busybody impression you don't want, it all depends.

Ballroom and salsa dancing demonstrate all three of the above.

"Bro" hobbies like video gaming or fantasy football might get you some authenticity cred as a guy's guy (useful for sorority girls' cookie-cutter "normal guy" filters), but aren't going to create any value by themselves. And you don't want to be like "normals" anyway.

Stuff that has nerd/geek cred is probably going to dry a lot of vaginas.
Don't listen to shit about "gamer girls," if you're into comics and consoles most chicks are going to think you are a loser. Magic cards, Halo, conventions, anything that says "under- and over-weight guys who don't get laid" - don't go there or don't tell them.

I like to mess around with computer programming on occasion. You can be damn sure girls don't hear about that in the approach or the first few dates. (More like I whip it out when she needs a problem solved and then it becomes a "master of tools" kind of DHV.)

Quote: (08-28-2014 11:27 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

The biggest DHV is doing what you want and what interests you and not giving a fuck what anyone thinks.

That said, I'd stay away from stamp collecting...

There goes my DHV. [Image: sad.gif] What little I had.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Well said and explained, Lizard of Oz. Basically you want hobbies that convey masculine virtues.

Relevant article:

http://www.dangerandplay.com/2011/08/20/...tion-bias/

Good article.

I would not choose a pastime based on how ladies perceive it.

Quote: (08-29-2014 12:21 AM)Pete Wrote:  

No one is saying you should. Jesus, people need to read the words in the posts.

The original post was:

"Has it been your experience that certain activities give you more DHV with women than others? ...I do triathlons and have observed <data about women's responses to OP's hobbies>."

Caring about how women or others perceive your hobbies is DLV by default.

Quote: (08-29-2014 12:42 AM)Felix88 Wrote:  

Totally agree with this.

I truly believe that the best thing to do is to pursue a hobby/pastime that you are legitimately interested in. When you do this, your passion will shine through and girls will notice it.

However, unfortunately the hamster sees some hobbies/pastimes as more attractive compared to others due to social value.

For example, playing in a band or working as a DJ at a club is nearly universally seen as more attractive by women compared to stamp collecting.

I would say the best hobbies DHV are those that complement each other.

You can easily find someone with ballroom dancing skills. You can also easily find a MMA fighter. In both cases depending on the girl it can be either DHV or DLV. Some girls think dancing are gay and too feminine (yes I met them. At dance...) and some more think martial arts guys are all macho brutes.

But if you do both salsa dancing and martial arts, now thats an intriguing combination. Girls just think you are mysterious. Some even asks me "is there anything you havent done?" I think a combination of soft hobbies like photography/painting/dancing/singing with a hard hobby like fighting/sport/hunting/racing etc. makes for the best DHV and the best life experiences too.

In the end hobbies aint nothing if you cant demonstrate its high value [Image: tongue.gif] Its called DHV anyway. Dont try to impress a salsa girl with your salsa skill. Often she has danced with better dancers than you. Instead lift her in the air and spin her around and do a dip that resemble a judo throw. Ive had girls dropping jaws and gasping at this "Ive never done anything like it". Similarly at martial art you can ask a girl to do a "sparring dance" and show off your elegance movement.

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

Travel to obscure destinations, especially if you sprinkle it with stories of risk and danger, are a huge DHV.

This is something many people on this forum are doing anyway.

Quote: (08-29-2014 03:13 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

You can easily find someone with ballroom dancing skills. You can also easily find a MMA fighter. In both cases depending on the girl it can be either DHV or DLV. Some girls think dancing are gay and too feminine (yes I met them. At dance...) and some more think martial arts guys are all macho brutes.

But if you do both salsa dancing and martial arts, now thats an intriguing combination. Girls just think you are mysterious. Some even asks me "is there anything you havent done?" I think a combination of soft hobbies like photography/painting/dancing/singing with a hard hobby like fighting/sport/hunting/racing etc. makes for the best DHV and the best life experiences too.

In the end hobbies aint nothing if you cant demonstrate its high value [Image: tongue.gif] Its called DHV anyway. Dont try to impress a salsa girl with your salsa skill. Often she has danced with better dancers than you. Instead lift her in the air and spin her around and do a dip that resemble a judo throw. Ive had girls dropping jaws and gasping at this "Ive never done anything like it". Similarly at martial art you can ask a girl to do a "sparring dance" and show off your elegance movement.

YES... exactly. Have fun with whatever combination of activities that you talk about with girls and figure out ways to engage the girl(s) in ways that keep their interest. You can tell that the girls are interested, because they will be asking questions or making certain comments to show that they want to explore activities with you (which you may or may NOT agree to).

I remember several years ago when I was teaching conversational English in Korea (students mostly in their 20s), and I would see all the students in one of my co-workers classroom having such a good time with his students. He would perform various kinds of card tricks in order to have fun in the classroom (and every day he seemed to come to the classroom with new variations of these games), and during that time, I was just teaching from various parts of the textbooks that were provided. He liked to bring creativity to his presentations and fun, and I thought, "wow, such a great niche he seems to have," and a lot of his niche had to do with his having fun with what he was doing and seeming to fit the fun with what he wanted to do rather than merely pandering.

Quote: (08-29-2014 03:13 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

I would say it is important to have multiple different hobbies so that you don't pass as (or don't actually become) a one dimensional person.

It's not good if a girl labels you as a "biker guy" or "weightlifter guy". Your personality should be a more unique combination to stand out.

pussies get wet all over when i arrive in the centre of town on my supersport motorcycle.

true story...

Quote: (11-15-2014 08:53 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
But guys, the fight itself isn't the focus here. How the whole thing was instigated by 1 girl is the big deal.

Quote: (08-29-2014 02:18 AM)Biologist Wrote:  

Quote: (08-29-2014 12:42 AM)Felix88 Wrote:  

Totally agree with this.

I truly believe that the best thing to do is to pursue a hobby/pastime that you are legitimately interested in. When you do this, your passion will shine through and girls will notice it.

However, unfortunately the hamster sees some hobbies/pastimes as more attractive compared to others due to social value.

For example, playing in a band or working as a DJ at a club is nearly universally seen as more attractive by women compared to stamp collecting.

You're right on.

This isn't either/or, its BOTH.

Grooming/style is the same. Being overly concered about your appearance - Insecurity=DLV.

Not caring how you present yourself, being an unkempt slob = DLV.

Girls like guys who are well presented.

Girls like rock climbers and rock stars.

Be balanced and pragmatic. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

Quote: (08-29-2014 12:21 AM)Pete Wrote:  

But you would learn game in order to get women to perceive you in a different light, right?

How then is the question proposed materially different from undertaking the task of learning game?

Quote: (08-28-2014 11:39 PM)BadgerHut Wrote:  

Remember we are dealing in generalities, and all women are different so your mileage may vary. That being said...

Activities that involve violence, physical dominance, or expendable risk are probably going to be the biggest DHVs. To wit: motorcycling, flying airplanes, boxing, weightlifting, rock climbing, intense hiking/camping.

In the context of certain lifestyles, hobbies like wine, cooking, or photography lend a sophisticated and high-class air to your vibe.

Stuff that communicates high social/organizational skill can be a positive - like participating in your college alumni club, a work-related social group or running a meetup group, or hosting dinner parties/mixers. But that can devolve into a student-council busybody impression you don't want, it all depends.

Ballroom and salsa dancing demonstrate all three of the above.

"Bro" hobbies like video gaming or fantasy football might get you some authenticity cred as a guy's guy (useful for sorority girls' cookie-cutter "normal guy" filters), but aren't going to create any value by themselves. And you don't want to be like "normals" anyway.

Stuff that has nerd/geek cred is probably going to dry a lot of vaginas.
Don't listen to shit about "gamer girls," if you're into comics and consoles most chicks are going to think you are a loser. Magic cards, Halo, conventions, anything that says "under- and over-weight guys who don't get laid" - don't go there or don't tell them.

I like to mess around with computer programming on occasion. You can be damn sure girls don't hear about that in the approach or the first few dates. (More like I whip it out when she needs a problem solved and then it becomes a "master of tools" kind of DHV.)

Great post.

I have used sports and activates as part of my game since forever. If you are not choosing activates that attract what you want in life you are limiting yourself (be it ladies, personal goals or business). Time spent in one area should and does compliment other areas of your life. A good example of using activates to attract what you want is the golf thread where BlurredLines wrote about the positive business networking aspect to learning golf:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-38810-...light=golf

The same applies to pastimes. You don’t have to choose an activity to target girls but you should be using that activity as part of your game. Back in Ireland when the waves were good I go surf for me then when they are average I bring along a girl. Same for sailing, windsurfing, spear fishing or anything else outdoors I used to do. I would have time set aside for pure enjoyment and progression but also separate time to introduce girls (or friends) to the sport. This is great for game and networking.

Guys who are saying that pastimes and hobbies shouldn’t be used for game are going to lose out to guys who are working with that leverage. Look at hot girls profile/tinder pics – what are they doing… skydiving, surfing, sailing, rock climbing. Girls love these activites and are drawn to the guys who can introduce them to it and have status within that group. This is no different to having the club on lock or access to cool parties. Its just activity ‘club’ game – access to good emotions and new experiences.

You can’t hate on girls for this. It is a good indicator for your sexual value. I like girls who do yoga and work out.

Everything is attractive if presented correctly and with good game. I have seen guys use rope knot game and get mad attraction going. It doesn’t have to be adventure sports: things like your book collection, painting, designing clothes and even an engineering job can be presented in such a way to create strong attraction.

What is "rope knot game"?

Wrt presenting your job positively, D&P had a great riff in a podcast or post about framing your job as "I help people do X" instead of saying "I do X." For example, instead of "I sell real estate" it's "I help people find the home of their dreams." Framing things as people-centric tends to raise their value in the eyes of women, who as a generality are more concerned with the impression that things are "people-centric." Imagine her giving her friends the image that you're a huckster flipping houses, versus her telling her friends how you carefully match customers' needs to the properties available on the market.

I don't understand the comments stating that caring how your hobbies are perceived by women/others is DLV.

Caring ONLY about how others perceive what you're doing is DLV.

Taking outside factors into consideration when seeking out a new hobby so that you choose a hobby which benefits your other goals is not DLV, it's simply efficient and smart.

In my own experience:

Skiing/snowboarding - DHV
Beach Volleyball - DHV
Freediving Spearfishing - Neutral to slight DHV
Racing/High End Cars - Neutral to slight DHV
Good at computers - Neutral to DLV
Disc Golf - Neutral to DLV
Fixing Shit Around the house - DHV
Building Shit (not putting together IKEA furniture) - DHV
Surfing - DHV
Playing Poker - Neutral to DLV unless you're splashing cash. The one exception is if I host a game and there are other girls/friends there who are cool, then it's a slight DHV.
Video Games - DLV unless you have all the old games she used to play on an emulator and you're playing it socially.
RC Cars - Major DLV, which makes sense because I did it when I was in school and couldn't attract a girl for shit.

Read My Old Blog - Subscribe To My Old Blog
Top Posts - Fake Rape? - Sex With A Tranny? - Rich MILF - What is a 9?

"Failure is just practice for success"

Knot game is just tying sailing knots on rope. Some knots are actually quite interesting and intricate.

Girls are like kids, you can make anything fun and entertaining.

Road cycling? Are you serious? Maybe it's different where you live but I've never in my life seen a girl attracted to the spandex-clad, road bike look. Everyone I know, besides the cyclists themselves, make fun of those guys.

Now, motorcycles are a different beast. That's a hobby that most girls are extremely attracted to. The type of bike you ride will definitely influence the type of girl that you attract.